PDA

View Full Version : After storing your boat for a 6 monthes do you...

TahitiTiger
03-22-2007, 03:57 PM
bother to pull the distributor and prime the oil system? I realize this may be over kill, but I do. I also pull the plugs, squirt some oil in each cyl, disconnect the pump, and give it couple cranks. Reconnect everything, put the plugs in and ready to go. Of course first lake trip also means bringing the timing light.

79centurion
03-22-2007, 04:04 PM
I dont becasue I dont think my boat has ever sat for 6 months, let alone 6 weeks:D Dan

TahitiTiger
03-22-2007, 04:17 PM
lucky you :D
For me the lake gets freakin cold, and windy in the winter :(

squirt'nmyload
03-22-2007, 04:24 PM
I dont becasue I dont think my boat has ever sat for 6 months, let alone 6 weeks:D Dan
don't let him fool you...he just moves em around in the driveway alot:D :D

FuelInMyVeins82
03-22-2007, 05:26 PM
bother to pull the distributor and prime the oil system? I realize this may be over kill, but I do. I also pull the plugs, squirt some oil in each cyl, disconnect the pump, and give it couple cranks. Reconnect everything, put the plugs in and ready to go. Of course first lake trip also means bringing the timing light.
I've been told by a reliable source that it is a good idea to pull the distributer and prime the oil system if the motor sits for more than a week or two. Of course if you have a jet-a-way, a bilge pump, and a bucket you can just fire the motor up do it that way :)

455Rocket
03-23-2007, 08:12 AM
I just crank'r over w/o fuel in the lines unitl oil pressure builds throughout the winter, and after it's been sitting for a few weeks. Then, when i get to the lake, pump the petal once and fire it up.

Jetaholic
03-23-2007, 08:21 AM
Screw all that. I gotta fire my boat up at least once a day just because it sounds so focking cool! :D

centerhill condor
03-23-2007, 05:12 PM
I simply turn over the engine without pumping the gas until I get pressure on the gauge. Anything else is extra work...cause if you pull the distributor you'll have to reset timing.
I like turning wrenches as much as the next guy but there is such a thing as "enough"

lilrick
03-24-2007, 06:55 AM
I simply turn over the engine without pumping the gas until I get pressure on the gauge. Anything else is extra work...cause if you pull the distributor you'll have to reset timing.
I like turning wrenches as much as the next guy but there is such a thing as "enough"
hehe...i know what you mean. At first it was a hobby...now I'm some sort of slave!

jetboatperformance
03-24-2007, 07:10 AM
Condors got it !!.Unless this is a fresh motor,disable the ignition (i pull my kill switch cord) you can pull your coil wire or ignition hot lead then crank it in a few short bursts 30 to 45 seconds till you see oil pressure on your guage,Good to Go Tom
If you really want to get fancy you buy an accumulator or $$$ auxillary pre oiler system (not really neccesary)