PDA

View Full Version : Hull Blueprinting

VDRIVERACING
03-22-2007, 07:34 PM
After reading the thread about speed coating the bottom, thought I would share this story....
Rudy Ramos told me about the time he was trying to get a flatbottom to break 100 mph. The boat had a strong engine, and they had done lots of work on the bottom, but it would only go 97.
He took the boat back to his shop and had his guys work tirelessly to "perfect" the bottom. Rudy said it was aircraft spec straight and perfect. They put the motor and gear back in and took it out for testing. ...It went 97 mph.
Frustrated, he went to another engine builder who promised more power. They put THAT motor in and went 105!
Moral of the story.. hell, I don't know. But after that, Rudy maintained that while a good bottom design is important, perfection is not.

scooooter7
03-22-2007, 07:58 PM
BUT... did he "speed coat" the bottom?

Lefty
03-22-2007, 08:04 PM
I agree with what you said about speed coat and and super flat bottom. How do you feel about a boat having a hook? Do you think a hook would cause the boat to slow down? The idea of going a tenth of mile an hour faster helps the pros, but is it really needed on a lake boat? The reason we did it was when we fixed the floor we caused a hook in the bottom and we had to take it out and the boat was speed coated before, so we had to do it the same. Your right, I don't know either. I did enjoy the Rudy story.

GofastRacer
03-22-2007, 08:52 PM
It's all about the "COMBINATION"!...

bocco
03-23-2007, 08:47 AM
So this got me wondering about the combination of hook or rocker with the cavitation plates which could effectively give you double hook or double rocker or one followed by the other.