PDA

View Full Version : Hand throttle?

Squirtcha?
03-22-2007, 08:00 PM
As some of you know Overkill got into a bad car accident last weekend http://www.***boat.com/forums/showthread.php?t=144257
Went to visit him tonight and he's in real good spirits considering what he's been through.
He's already talking about when he'll be well enough to go run his boat.
His ankles got real smashed up and it's gonna be a lengthy recovery, with some surgery, hardware and physical therapy. He's asked me to see if we could come up with some sort of hand throttle for him so he can run his boat.
I was thinking of using a reverse bucket lever and adapt it to a throttle cable. The thinking being that we could mount both levers near each other (bucket and throttle) and he could drive while keeping one hand on the gas pretty much all the time.
Anybody got any ideas or input?
Hows about an old shifter handle that we could use to rig this (unless someone has a better idea).

396_WAYS_TO_SPIT
03-22-2007, 08:04 PM
Great idea! I hope he makes a speedy recovery and I get to see him on the water this summer.

Cheyenne580
03-22-2007, 08:16 PM
As some of you know Overkill got into a bad car accident last weekend http://www.***boat.com/forums/showthread.php?t=144257
Went to visit him tonight and he's in real good spirits considering what he's been through.
His ankles got real smashed up and it's gonna be a lengthy recovery, with some surgery, hardware and physical therapy. He's asked me to see if we could come up with some sort of hand throttle for him so he can run his boat.
I was thinking of using a reverse bucket lever and adapt it to a throttle cable. The thinking being that we could mount both levers near each other (bucket and throttle) and he could drive while keeping one hand on the gas pretty much all the time.
Hows about an old shifter handle that we could use to rig this (unless someone has a better idea).
Dan this is just a thought but why not rig it like a jetski on the steering wheel.It would be a push pull cable with a handle mounted on the wheel spring assit of course.Just a thought.Plus he could have both hand's on the wheel while operating it.

pw_Tony
03-22-2007, 08:20 PM
My Spectra's ran off a hand throttle with forward and reverse. I'll take a pic of it tomorrow to show you the set up

sleekcrafter
03-22-2007, 08:21 PM
My buddy's Century ski boat came with a PTO style throttle cable, pull to go push to stop. Fine tuning was done by twisting the knob in or out.

Aduner2
03-22-2007, 08:24 PM
Teleflex Morse makes a single handle throttle/shift control about $300 bones. Dual handle controls might get a little messy in a panic situation. Ran a single handle control in a Spectra jet for years, worked great.
Thoughts out for a speedy recovery!

Cheyenne580
03-22-2007, 08:25 PM
My buddy's Century ski boat came with a PTO style throttle cable, pull to go push to stop. Fine tuning was done by twisting the knob in or out.
that sound's like the ticket.

nielly
03-22-2007, 08:32 PM
My Buddy has an old 77 Omega with a Panther jet that had a throttle/foward and reverse. I'm sure somebody out there converted theirs and the parts are just sitting around. If we start calling our local boat shops, I sure they have one lying around.
Mikey

Jetaholic
03-22-2007, 08:41 PM
Why not just go with a single hand control to work both throttle and the bucket? Lots of boats are set up that way and you wouldn't have to cut an extra hole for a temporary arrangement.

Cheyenne372
03-23-2007, 03:22 AM
You might get in touch with Mike Ward of Mike's Pump and Speed in Houston.
He built one for his son to race after Mike Jr. was paralyzed in a car accident.
Here is a link to a photo of the boat...
http://www.mikespumpandspeed.com/DSC00648.JPG
His e-mail address is mike@mikespumpandspeed.com

YeLLowBoaT
03-23-2007, 03:36 AM
something like this would work...
link (http://www.westmarine.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product/10001/-1/10001/10070/10001/725/458/6)
It would be really ez to take his current set up and change it over to this.
http://images.westmarine.com/full/07132_f.jpg

Old Guy
03-23-2007, 04:09 AM
Does it all
http://www.teleflexmarine.com/library/A4pics/SL-3.jpg

ck7684
03-23-2007, 06:17 AM
My Cobrajet has a single control with forward and reverse. In fact, I dont understand the whole foot throttle thing at all, even though they are super common in jetboats. It would be completely foriegn to me...

Jetaholic
03-23-2007, 06:31 AM
My Cobrajet has a single control with forward and reverse. In fact, I dont understand the whole foot throttle thing at all, even though they are super common in jetboats. It would be completely foriegn to me...
When you're idling and you have to stop really quick...you don't have to worry about over revving by pulling up too hard on the shifter when you yank it into reverse. Just pull into reverse and punch the gas a little.

Mr. Crusader 83
03-23-2007, 06:36 AM
One better then that. My buddy has a 83 Crusader Daycruiser, and it came stock with a shifter that does the throttle and forward/reverse. He wants to get rid of it so he can have a foot throttle. It has a button in the side like a bravo shifter so you can disengage the bucket. Kinda trick for old school stuff. Im sure it wouldnt cost you much if anything. I will call him today.

Squirtcha?
03-23-2007, 09:05 AM
One better then that. My buddy has a 83 Crusader Daycruiser, and it came stock with a shifter that does the throttle and forward/reverse. He wants to get rid of it so he can have a foot throttle. It has a button in the side like a bravo shifter so you can disengage the bucket. Kinda trick for old school stuff. Im sure it wouldnt cost you much if anything. I will call him today.
That'd be great. That way it would be something made for it and not cobbled together.
I'll be checking back here, or you could email me if you find something out.
Thanks
Dan
d.haase@cox.net

victorfb
03-23-2007, 09:47 AM
hey Dan. sorry to hear about your friends accident. i wish him a full speedy recovery. as you know i too have an issue with foot throttles since my legs are paralized. however i still prefer to use a foot throttle and have found that a custom made throttle that pivots from the bottom instead of almost half way up allows me to push with the upper portion of my leg (quad muscle). i have learned to do this as such it is second nature for me. you may want to let your friend get through therapy and from there decide which is the best way to go. i would be more than happy to help with any fabrication needed to get him back enjoying his boat. i did remove the single handle duel action lever from my Kachina that controls both the reverse bucket and throttle if thats the way he wants to go. i for one dont like them as you dont have the control of releasing the throttle as quikly. definatly takes some getting used to. if you want my controler let me know, and also if there is anything i can do to help.

Cas
03-23-2007, 10:15 AM
I too hope he has a quick recovery!
Instead of reconfiguring his boat, how about we all chip in and see if we could get him a driver? Maybe one of these beauties would be interested, probably put a nice smile on his face :)
http://www.texas***boats.com/gallery/albums/2005THBARCHIVES/normal_DSC_0052.JPG

asch
03-23-2007, 03:39 PM
Would either of these work?
http://www.teleflexmarine.com/document/productpdf/document1002_5_1074.pdf
http://www.teleflexmarine.com/document/productpdf/document1002_5_1077.pdf

sandwindersandcars
03-23-2007, 06:42 PM
i just took a hand throttle/shift lever out of my Kachina yesterday, i switched it over to foot throttle, you can have it and the cables if you want them, i no longer have use, i am in the queen creek area if that helps, i will also be at canyon lake in the morning testing some boat mods, my Kachina was a 21' so the throttle cable may be a little long.

cave
03-23-2007, 07:09 PM
So is James, in QC that is

Squirtcha?
03-24-2007, 04:24 AM
i just took a hand throttle/shift lever out of my Kachina yesterday, i switched it over to foot throttle, you can have it and the cables if you want them, i no longer have use, i am in the queen creek area if that helps, i will also be at canyon lake in the morning testing some boat mods, my Kachina was a 21' so the throttle cable may be a little long.
Thanks to all who've offered to help.
This one looks made to order and local too. TAF (from the boards) is from Queen Creek. He's a friend of Overkill, and lives in Queen Creek too. I'll pm him and see you two can swap information? I'm in the Northwest Valley so you're a pretty good hike from me.
Awesome the way jetters help one another out (and it happens a lot)!
Thanks again. Very much appreciated.

SmokinLowriderSS
03-24-2007, 05:44 AM
Once you work with it for a little bit it becomes completely seccond nature, but IS dang hard with busted up ankles. I like that 2-handle controll Yellowboat put up.
My best wishes to Overkill for a speedy and full-mobility recovery.