PDA

View Full Version : Hei Distributor's ???

ironman44bear
03-22-2007, 09:14 PM
Has anyone on here ran one of those $50-$60 HEI's off of ebay for a big block chevy, or does anyone have a stock HEI layin around there garage that they want to get rid of . Any help would be appriciated.
Thanks, IRONMAN

CARLSON-JET
03-22-2007, 10:47 PM
I bought one a few years ago. It needed a recurveing but other then that it has not had any issues. I don't spin it past about 4500 though. I run an aggressor a imp and have a very mild 454. $65 for a new dist. shipped to my door I thought it was ok.

Jetaholic
03-23-2007, 06:29 AM
Has anyone on here ran one of those $50-$60 HEI's off of ebay for a big block chevy, or does anyone have a stock HEI layin around there garage that they want to get rid of . Any help would be appriciated.
Thanks, IRONMAN
Honestly I don't know why you're wanting to waste your money on a distributor for a boat that's never gonna run. :D

wet77
03-23-2007, 08:26 AM
just speaking from my expierence
Mallory Hei is junk
Have seen some GM modified HEI's do ok
MSD HEI pro billet is the best it worked awesome in my boat last season
Buy the good parts right away the MSD even has a built in rev limiter you can adjust:D

victorfb
03-23-2007, 10:49 AM
the factory GM small cap HEI with external coil works well for most applications and are basically marine safe. they have a built in spark arrester from the factory. and yes they can be used without needing an ECU (computer). MSD makes a small external high output coil for them aswell. best thing is you can get a new replacement from most any auto parts store like autozone, ect. normally around $90. its an easy 2 wire hook up and when not useing the ECU the factory distributer has a mechanical advance built into them. thats why when you go to smog check your GM vehicle they will dissconect the brown wire which dissconects the ECU from the dist. allowing the mechanical advance to take over. actually a pretty decent unit.

hallettman
03-23-2007, 07:52 PM
i ran one of those 55 doller hei ignitions that i got on ebay for about 6 years in my sandrail with a 383 stroker i beat the hell out of that thing constantly running 6500 rpm. i think that distributer was the only thing that didnt give me fits.

ironman44bear
03-24-2007, 05:18 AM
Honestly I don't know why you're wanting to waste your money on a distributor for a boat that's never gonna run. :D
Don't you have to go to the Doctor for that ANAL SEPAGE problem you have or dont you have to go post some pictures of your gay azz boat somewhere:D

CARLSON-JET
03-24-2007, 07:50 AM
i ran one of those 55 doller hei ignitions that i got on ebay for about 6 years in my sandrail with a 383 stroker i beat the hell out of that thing constantly running 6500 rpm. i think that distributer was the only thing that didnt give me fits.
It's good to hear another positive feedback on these at higher RPM's and longevity. Thanks halletman. R.B.

AZKC
03-24-2007, 09:30 AM
Funny, I just added one to my watch list last night and was going to ck them out more today:)

wickedfab
03-24-2007, 11:16 AM
i have a few of them
20$ plus the ride:)