PDA

View Full Version : Chine Walking

OliverM5
03-22-2007, 10:19 PM
I've got a problem with my boat chine walking when it get up to about 80 mph. Some background:
*23' Scarab SCS
*Vortech Blown 509
*Bravo One 30 pitch prop spinning 5000 rpm @ 84 mph top speed
*Single Ram IMCO hydraulic steering
I don't know what is causing the chinewalk - I think the big power is pushing the transom farther out the water than it should be - how can I cure this? I want to turn up the boost and run closer to the 90's, but scared of the instability.

spectras only
03-22-2007, 10:44 PM
Try a 2" Imco shorty to let the stern dip ,so the chine will help stabilizing the hull .Your boat has reached the safe max hull speed already !
http://www3.telus.net/spectrasonly/scarab%20scs.jpg

Lavey29
03-22-2007, 10:51 PM
Good set of tabs which will essentially add length to the boat...Might also want to try a 5 blade prop. I have a 29' Lavey and it ran well with a 4 blade but recent upgrade and it runs even smother with a 5 blade Hydromotive.

h2oski2fast
03-23-2007, 02:45 AM
I've got a problem with my boat chine walking when it get up to about 80 mph. Some background:
*23' Scarab SCS
*Vortech Blown 509
I don't know what is causing the chinewalk - I think the big power is pushing the transom farther out the water than it should be - how can I cure this? I want to turn up the boost and run closer to the 90's, but scared of the instability.
Power has nothing to do with it, more likely the prop or overtrim.

h2oski2fast
03-23-2007, 02:53 AM
Good set of tabs which will essentially add length to the boat...Might also want to try a 5 blade prop. I have a 29' Lavey and it ran well with a 4 blade but recent upgrade and it runs even smother with a 5 blade Hydromotive.
You had the worng 4 blade. With the weight of your boat..... it doesn't need a 5 blade. Thats what I love about HB....... A bunch of people "throwing" their $.02 in, thats about all it's worth. Go read more magazines.

Lavey29
03-23-2007, 03:32 AM
Tried several pitches and diameter 4 blade props lab and standard. The 4 blade was causing a little port side lean due to the torque through the prop...Bob Teague water tested it and put a smaller pitch and smaller diameter 5 blade and it leveled the boat out with less vibration on the drive. Running at 10% slip now which is pretty much right where you want it...thanks for your useless opinion though...
You had the worng 4 blade. With the weight of your boat..... it doesn't need a 5 blade. Thats what I love about HB....... A bunch of people "throwing" their $.02 in, thats about all it's worth. Go read more magazines.

Run_em_Hard
03-23-2007, 05:25 AM
You can add some tabs and place them parallel with the water to help reduce chine walk...***boat did an article a couple months ago on tabs. Powerboat TV also did a tab session on one of thier shows, hosted by Reggie Fountain.

Deano
03-23-2007, 08:25 AM
Powerboat TV also did a tab session on one of thier shows, hosted by Reggie Fountain.
That was funny clip. He talked about tabs for about 15 seconds and the rest of the time was how not to load your boat because you will put a hook in the bottom

SHAKE-YO-AZZ
03-23-2007, 08:33 AM
Power has nothing to do with it, more likely the prop or overtrim.
what he said

grads2112
03-23-2007, 10:47 AM
Trim tabs would probably help but if you want to get a real answer ask this question over at offshoreonly.com....this is ***boat...not a boating website.

scarabrick2
03-23-2007, 11:07 AM
Tried several pitches and diameter 4 blade props lab and standard. The 4 blade was causing a little port side lean due to the torque through the prop...Bob Teague water tested it and put a smaller pitch and smaller diameter 5 blade and it leveled the boat out with less vibration on the drive. Running at 10% slip now which is pretty much right where you want it...thanks for your useless opinion though...
LOL 10% slip that s great. Can I borrow ur prop for a test run out on Lake mead? 27 step hallett running a labbed 28 4 blade with high slip ratio. 77 mph on gps 1/2 tank(70 gal) 500 #'s gear anf 450# people fat/muscle

BLOWN HOWARD
03-23-2007, 12:54 PM
Big Dana HP 1000's tabs solved most of my chine walk issues

SHAKE-YO-AZZ
03-23-2007, 12:59 PM
Trim tabs would probably help but if you want to get a real answer ask this question over at offshoreonly.com....this is ***boat...not a boating website.
ROTFLMAO

spectras only
03-23-2007, 01:08 PM
if you want to get a real answer ask this question over at offshoreonly.com....this is ***boat...not a boating website.
He has to get a much bigger boat before the elite group is going to answer his questions there , LMAO :D
he has the same problem early Donzi's had with sterndrives with low X dimensions . They chine walked at 50 + riding on the keel only . No Donzi ever chine walked with BB jetdrives going way faster .

ULTRA26 # 1
03-23-2007, 01:23 PM
My Team Warlock 25 Euro walked at 80 and above. Tried everything and finally accepted that it was related to hull design. It may not be correctable.
John M

spectras only
03-23-2007, 01:37 PM
My Team Warlock 25 Euro walked at 80 and above. Tried everything and finally accepted that it was related to hull design. It may not be correctable.
John M
Bingo !
longer [ 380 ] tabs will have some help extending further , having less hook [ maintaining speed ] compared to smaller tabs needing to trim down too far to stabilize the ride , having a hook effect.
We don't even know if he has tabs on his scarab ??????

BajaMike
03-23-2007, 02:00 PM
*23' Scarab SCS
*Vortech Blown 509
Trim the drive down deeper in the water and slow down....:idea:
:D

OliverM5
03-23-2007, 02:12 PM
Bingo !
longer [ 380 ] tabs will have some help extending further , having less hook [ maintaining speed ] compared to smaller tabs needing to trim down too far to stabilize the ride , having a hook effect.
We don't even know if he has tabs on his scarab ??????
I do have Dana 1000's on the boat, but they kill speed quickly - can't do top speed run with them dragging in the water.

ChumpChange
03-23-2007, 02:15 PM
He takes the first swing.
He ducks the punch and follows through with an uppercut. Man down!!! :D

spectras only
03-23-2007, 02:26 PM
I do have Dana 1000's on the boat, but they kill speed quickly - can't do top speed run with them dragging in the water.
Tab issue eliminated :) . Did you consider getting a 2" shorty ? Next , I'd try different props ,lessening sternlift .

f_inscreenname
03-23-2007, 02:32 PM
Man you guys are tough. Think I will stay out of this one. :D

Wild Horses
03-23-2007, 04:00 PM
Tab issue eliminated :) . Did you consider getting a 2" shorty ? Next , I'd try different props ,lessening sternlift .
Will a shorty help chine walk on a single engine running in the 80's?
My last boat was right at 80 with a blown 509 and I know that the X dimension was low as it was a 89 Advantage Citation. :D
Clint

ToMorrow44
03-23-2007, 04:04 PM
It's ok he told me I was an idiot about props too when Bob Teague tested my boat and has given me countless amounts of information on props. BTW what motor/drive do you have and what speeds are you seeing?
-Tom

Deano
03-23-2007, 04:59 PM
Are they set up to run with the hull or are they flat? I heard from a friend of a friend that talked to his milkmans brother that running the tabs level will help:)

spectras only
03-23-2007, 05:43 PM
Are they set up to run with the hull or are they flat? heard from a friend running the tabs level will help:)
It may help Reggie's Fountains , because of the notched transom . He ran the tabs like anybody else with the V all the way to the transom before ,and he's been around for a long time to know better what works and what not .After the notched transoms became popular on certain hulls , it made sense to raise the X dimension and reposition the tabs on those :idea: .
Just my useless $ 0.02 cdn :)

Lavey29
03-24-2007, 04:58 AM
Sure, if we can figure out how to meet up at the same place and the same time. I'm using a Hydromotive 5 blade which gived decent bow lift. Mid range speed is better also. Higher speeds at lower RPM which means better fuel economy also. The only draw back to the 5 blade is you have to be a little more conservative with the throttle. Not jamming the sticks down, rolling onto plain, not sitting in the peak engine torque range (4200-4600) for long periods. The IMCO drive is rated for 800lbs of torque and the motor has like 850. Bob tested the boat at 95MPH at 5600 RPM with the 5 blade. He said there was still more left in the motor. Should hit 100. You need to go down one pitch size when you go from 4 to 5 blade. I also decreased diameter .25 inch. I was at 19% slip with the 4 blade.
LOL 10% slip that s great. Can I borrow ur prop for a test run out on Lake mead? 27 step hallett running a labbed 28 4 blade with high slip ratio. 77 mph on gps 1/2 tank(70 gal) 500 #'s gear anf 450# people fat/muscle

Lavey29
03-24-2007, 07:01 AM
LOL,,that was funny CC...not really worth any further comment though,,,hey I grew up in Claremont...That's a great place to live and raise kids...excellent schools..
He takes the first swing.
He ducks the punch and follows through with an uppercut. Man down!!! :D

Lavey29
03-24-2007, 07:09 AM
Hey Tom, yeah Bob was very helpfull also with me. He knows his boat stuff for sure. I am running a Keith Eickert blown 540 in a 29' Laveycraft with IMCO Extreme drive. Motor was at 700HP with 3 pounds of boost. Teague added intercooler and jumped boost to 7. Motor should be at 850HP now. Bob water tested it the other day running 95MPH at 5600RPM. He said there was more left in the motor though. Should rev to 6000RPM. He tried the 32" lab 4 blade I had on there and the boat was loose at 90MPH. He then put a 30" 5 blade Hydromotive on it and the boat handled much better, running straight and level with tabs neutral. Should be seeing low 100's under ideal conditions.
It's ok he told me I was an idiot about props too when Bob Teague tested my boat and has given me countless amounts of information on props. BTW what motor/drive do you have and what speeds are you seeing?
-Tom

spectras only
03-24-2007, 10:13 AM
Lavey , what's the price range for the 5 blades at Teague ? His price is very good on the B1's .

ToMorrow44
03-24-2007, 10:23 AM
Lavey , what's the price range for the 5 blades at Teague ? His price is very good on the B1's .
If I remember right, right around $1100 +/- but don't quote me on that.
-Tom

Lavey29
03-24-2007, 11:03 AM
He charged me 985 for the Hydromotive polished 5 blade. Seems like a good price. Maximus are more. I called Throttle Up and they wanted 1500 for their 5 blade. I have used Hydro's on other boats and was happy with them but this is my first 5 blade..

spectras only
03-24-2007, 12:50 PM
Thanks guys .

seanv
03-24-2007, 01:10 PM
i've got a 30 p5-x i could hook someone up with:D
against all opinions i ran it on my daytona and ran 118mph as if it was 80. smooth very stable loved it. damn thing wont work on the a.o.:(