PDA

View Full Version : Want a new intake.

Dominator Scott
03-23-2007, 07:00 AM
I think I have asked this question before but my mind is in a fog right now.
My dad has given me the green light to start tweaking his Sanger a little more and I really think the Torker460 intake is a choke point on this engine. I am looking for an intake that will help make this motor breath and look cool at the same time. Should I run a Victor or could I get away with a tunnel ram system?
Anyone have either of these intakes for sale?
Motor specs BBF 460/330HP
Thanks in advance for the advice.

396_WAYS_TO_SPIT
03-23-2007, 07:28 AM
If your motor is rated at 330 horse then I would stick with a solid dual plane intake. You will never spin the R's where the intake wants to make the Hp. Not to mention that you will kill your bottom end. "460 jus getn it" here on the boards has a 450hp 460 and he is running the weiand stealth and that boat pulls very nice out of the hole all the way through the powerband;)

QuickJet
03-23-2007, 07:38 AM
That looks like a real nice boat. I'd go to a polished T-ram myself. I know people say they don't work, but my Bahner picked quite a bit (not saying that happends in every case either)
Plus the bling factor is cool to. And if the motor can't handle a T-ram, make it so it can :D

460 jus getn it
03-23-2007, 08:22 AM
Like 396 said i have a wieand stealth on my motor. I have ported dove-c heads and the intake was port matched to the heads. Its a great intake, what are the cam specs on the current cam you have?

Dominator Scott
03-23-2007, 08:38 AM
Like 396 said i have a wieand stealth on my motor. I have ported dove-c heads and the intake was port matched to the heads. Its a great intake, what are the cam specs on the current cam you have?
Whatever Sanger used for a motor is what she is runnin'.(according to the owners manual 460/330HP) To my knowledge the motor is completely stock. I can however say that it has TONS of low end torque and leaps out of the water when you stomp on it.
The Torker460 that is currently on the motor is a single plane intake and it isn't lacking in bottom end power right now. But I think the intake is restricting my top end power. I don't think a dual plane intake would get me any benefit on the top end but I could be wrong.

Squirtcha?
03-23-2007, 09:10 AM
Another vote for the Weiand Stealth.
See if you can find the other post where you asked about this. There was a lot of good information on there.
Here it is.. lots of votes for the Stealth there.
http://www.***boat.com/forums/showthread.php?t=133827&page=2
Here's one of your others along the same lines.
http://www.***boat.com/forums/showthread.php?t=131092
Oh yeah.........just as a reminder........Somewhere in those posts you said
I will be sticking with the existing ignition system for now. I am way over budget on this project and pretty tired of throwing $$$$ at this thing to be honest. The only reason I have kept going is because it is for my dad.
If I decide to go with an intake that will probably be the end of the road and I will call it finished.
Let's see if that ends up being true.
Finished? Too funny Scott. You gotta know they're never "finished"

460 jus getn it
03-23-2007, 09:12 AM
Whatever Sanger used for a motor is what she is runnin'.(according to the owners manual 460/330HP) To my knowledge the motor is completely stock. I can however say that it has TONS of low end torque and leaps out of the water when you stomp on it.
The Torker460 that is currently on the motor is a single plane intake and it isn't lacking in bottom end power right now. But I think the intake is restricting my top end power. I don't think a dual plane intake would get me any benefit on the top end but I could be wrong.I ditched a tunnel ram for the intake i have now. My boat pulls hard out of the hole, and pulls real hard from 4000-5200.. What rpms is that boat turning?

Dominator Scott
03-23-2007, 09:30 AM
I ditched a tunnel ram for the intake i have now. My boat pulls hard out of the hole, and pulls real hard from 4000-5200.. What rpms is that boat turning?
About 4700 to 4800 tops.

jetboat
03-23-2007, 09:38 AM
how ' bout using a edelbrock performer?my new 460 plus will have almost 500hp per impatient1 (who is building the motor) using a 830 racing carb.

esabataj
03-23-2007, 10:00 AM
Having run three different intakes on my 521 this past summer I think i'll post up my test results. All test were run using the same worked 850DP holley carb and rejetted as needed per the intake run
Weiand Stealth Model 8012-Great hole shot, Good midrange, and decent top end. 5950 top RPM
Edelbrock Victor Model 2966- Lost some bottom end. Excelent mid Range and pulled better on the top end. Max RPM 6100-6150 (Note) I did not port match the intake and heads for test. Might be some more in it.
Offenhauser Single Tunnel Ram- Lost alot of bottom end, Pulled hard mid range, and even harder on top end. Max RPM=6200-6250. Because of lost bottom end and launch actual acceleration was a little slower than either the Victor or stealth. I don't reccomend the single tunnel ram because it leaned out the four corners and after jetting to compensate the center 4 were way rich.
My over all conclusion at this point is that the Stealth was overall the best combination manifold for overall usage.
My next step is to put the 2 four top on the offy w 2 660 center squirters to see results. Good bye fuel econemy LOL. Going to end up crying about this one I know.
Hope this helps
Richard

Dominator Scott
03-23-2007, 10:10 AM
Having run three different intakes on my 521 this past summer I think i'll post up my test results. All test were run using the same worked 850DP holley carb and rejetted as needed per the intake run
Weiand Stealth Model 8012-Great hole shot, Good midrange, and decent top end. 5950 top RPM
Edelbrock Victor Model 2966- Lost some bottom end. Excelent mid Range and pulled better on the top end. Max RPM 6100-6150 (Note) I did not port match the intake and heads for test. Might be some more in it.
Offenhauser Single Tunnel Ram- Lost alot of bottom end, Pulled hard mid range, and even harder on top end. Max RPM=6200-6250. Because of lost bottom end and launch actual acceleration was a little slower than either the Victor or stealth. I don't reccomend the single tunnel ram because it leaned out the four corners and after jetting to compensate the center 4 were way rich.
My over all conclusion at this point is that the Stealth was overall the best combination manifold for overall usage.
My next step is to put the 2 four top on the offy w 2 660 center squirters to shee results. Good by fuel econemy LOL. Going to end up crying about this one I know.
Hope this helps
Richard
I have been told that the Victor or Stealth would be the best set for this application. Anyone have a used Victor for sale at a good price?

esabataj
03-23-2007, 10:19 AM
I have been told that the Victor or Stealth would be the best set for this application. Anyone have a used Victor for sale at a good price?
Used Victors are hard to come by. I borrowed one from a buddy to try while his motor was apart. every once and awhile you'll see them on Ebay or Racingjunk.com. Thats another vote for the Stealth. Runs about $80.00 bucks cheaper than the Victor new.

460 jus getn it
03-23-2007, 10:25 AM
My next step is to put the 2 four top on the offy w 2 660 center squirters to see results. Good by fuel econemy LOL. Going to end up crying about this one I know.
Hope this helps
RichardI knew you would chime in. The tunnel ram i ditched was a single carb. I had heard that people were having problems leaning out the corners. My stealth works great, when i decided to build a bigger motor this is the intake i will use. Dominator, for the price you cant beat it. You have a stock motor, but this intake will allow you to build bigger and will work with what ever you decided to use.

esabataj
03-23-2007, 10:27 AM
I knew you would chime in. The tunnel ram i ditched was a single carb. I had heard that people were having problems leaning out the corners. My stealth works great, when i decided to build a bigger motor this is the intake i will use. Dominator, for the price you cant beat it. You have a stock motor, but this intake will allow you to build bigger and will work with what ever you decided to use.
How you doing buddy.
I'm still breathing and post everyonce and awhile when somethig peaks my interest.

460 jus getn it
03-23-2007, 10:41 AM
How you doing buddy.
I'm still breathing and post everyonce and awhile when somethig peaks my interest.
Tassss good to hear. Give me a shout sometime. You better get that boat out this summer, if your not send it here i will for ya.

Dominator Scott
03-23-2007, 10:46 AM
I knew you would chime in. The tunnel ram i ditched was a single carb. I had heard that people were having problems leaning out the corners. My stealth works great, when i decided to build a bigger motor this is the intake i will use. Dominator, for the price you cant beat it. You have a stock motor, but this intake will allow you to build bigger and will work with what ever you decided to use.
Can you post a pic of your Stealth intake? Kinda like to see one on the motor.

esabataj
03-23-2007, 10:57 AM
Can you post a pic of your Stealth intake? Kinda like to see one on the motor.
http://www.hotboatpics.com/pics/data/3188/4867Motor-5_net-med.jpg
Mine woked best with a 2" open Spacer

esabataj
03-23-2007, 11:04 AM
Here's another view I found
http://www.hotboatpics.com/pics/data/3188/4867Intake_pic-2.jpg

460 jus getn it
03-23-2007, 11:11 AM
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/520/1570my_motor.jpg
This was early on in the build. Intake in JET-HOTED.

esabataj
03-23-2007, 11:15 AM
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/520/1570my_motor.jpg
This was early on in the build. Intake in JET-HOTED.
LOL Mine is Ceramic coated

Dominator Scott
03-23-2007, 11:29 AM
That certainly looks like it would do the job nicely. How much do they cost new? What is the part #

esabataj
03-23-2007, 11:38 AM
That certainly looks like it would do the job nicely. How much do they cost new? What is the part #
With D-3 or Dove heads you need the 8012
http://store.summitracing.com/egnsearch.asp?Ntk=KeywordSearch&DDS=1&Ntt=Wnd%2D8012&searchinresults=false&N=+115
the 8012C is enduroshine coated

460 jus getn it
03-23-2007, 11:40 AM
With D-3 or Dive heads you need the 8012
http://store.summitracing.com/egnsearch.asp?Ntk=KeywordSearch&DDS=1&Ntt=Wnd%2D8012&searchinresults=false&N=+115
Beat me to it. Dominator, make sure you get the 8012, the 8021 is for cobra jet heads. I had mine gasket matched and matched to the heads.

Dominator Scott
03-23-2007, 11:47 AM
Beat me to it. Dominator, make sure you get the 8012, the 8021 is for cobra jet heads. I had mine gasket matched and matched to the heads.
You guys aren't in favor of the Victor intake?

esabataj
03-23-2007, 11:55 AM
You guys aren't in favor of the Victor intake?
With the Build you have now the Victor would be overkill and the combination it might not even run as well as it does now. plus check out the price difference
http://store.summitracing.com/egnsearch.asp?Ntk=KeywordSearch&DDS=1&Ntt=EDL%2D2966&searchinresults=false&N=+115
The port match on the Victor is way larger than your stock steel heads. This difference is almost a 1/4 inch or more in places. Makes one h*ll of an air disrupter at the port match. Lots of grinding on the inake port on the head to match up so that the airflow maintains the right velocity IMO

460 jus getn it
03-23-2007, 12:05 PM
You guys aren't in favor of the Victor intake?For your application, i say the victor is too big. Arent they like 3000-7000 or something like that? Get a stealth, you will be good to go.

Dominator Scott
03-27-2007, 05:49 AM
For your application, i say the victor is too big. Arent they like 3000-7000 or something like that? Get a stealth, you will be good to go.
I was hoping to stay away from a dual plane intake but apparently you guys figure it will work best for my application. If this is the case then how does the Stealth stack up against and Edelbrock Air Gap intake? Just curious.

ck7684
03-27-2007, 09:09 AM
Why would you want to stay away from a dual plane?? They work better at lower RPMs...

460 jus getn it
03-27-2007, 09:15 AM
I was hoping to stay away from a dual plane intake but apparently you guys figure it will work best for my application. If this is the case then how does the Stealth stack up against and Edelbrock Air Gap intake? Just curious.I have never used one, one of our buddies has on on his chevy and he says its great.

pw_Tony
03-27-2007, 09:41 AM
I just last week went from the Torker 460 intake to a off the shelf eldebrock performer. The ports on the Torker intake were much smaller than the heads. But I honoestly think I lost alittle top end putting the performer on. In my jet boat I can't really tell the bottom end difference cause I take off 3500-4000 RPM anyway so I don't really understand the need of 1500 RPM power. But I think my middle range was a little better. I 'm still kinda new at boats but on cars I always loved Eldebrock Performer RPM air gap. Great torque and horsepower.

Dominator Scott
03-27-2007, 12:10 PM
Why would you want to stay away from a dual plane?? They work better at lower RPMs...
Mainly because the boat has so much low end grunt now that it's rediculous.
My main goal is better midrange acceleration and possibly some better top end.

Devilman
03-27-2007, 12:25 PM
With the Build you have now the Victor would be overkill and the combination it might not even run as well as it does now. plus check out the price difference
http://store.summitracing.com/egnsearch.asp?Ntk=KeywordSearch&DDS=1&Ntt=EDL%2D2966&searchinresults=false&N=+115
The port match on the Victor is way larger than your stock steel heads. This difference is almost a 1/4 inch or more in places. Makes one h*ll of an air disrupter at the port match. Lots of grinding on the inake port on the head to match up so that the airflow maintains the right velocity IMO
Don't be hating on my Victor intake.....:D

Dominator Scott
03-27-2007, 01:04 PM
Don't be hating on my Victor intake.....:D
I would surely go with the Victor if the ports matched up correctly. But several of you have said that it wouldn't be the right intake for this application.:(

Devilman
03-27-2007, 01:42 PM
I would surely go with the Victor if the ports matched up correctly. But several of you have said that it wouldn't be the right intake for this application.:(
I was mainly giving Esabataj shit, its my Victor intake that he borrowed to try on his boat....:D
The Victor was on the 429 that was in my boat when I bought it. Don't know what cam was in it & the heads were nothing special, old plain-jane D3s. It ran pretty good, but I'm sure not as good as it possibly could, know what I mean? The guy who had the motor built, more than likely bought that Victor just because he liked the way it looked.
Guess what I'm getting at, is if you just want the looks & don't care if it possibly takes away some performance, get a Victor. If you want it to run as well as it possibly can & not lose any performance, go with the Stealth.....
:rollside:

Squirtcha?
03-27-2007, 03:14 PM
Nudder jethotted Weiand Stealth. 2" open hole spacer and nitrous plate.
http://jetboat.homestead.com/files/p1010009t.jpg

Coded-Dude
03-27-2007, 03:19 PM
I just put the (polished aluminum)Performer RPM on my 460, but won't be able to test it for a little while.
Of course anything is better than that rusty old cast-iron excuse for an intake I was using...... :)

lilsquirt
03-28-2007, 01:53 AM
I run a performer rpm air gap on my 466 Ford in mine and it doesnt miss a beat. Hard pull out of the hole and losing nothing on the top end. 1500-6500 powerband I think. I have friends that run stealth's also and either one is a great manifold for your application.

e514jet
03-28-2007, 07:45 AM
Dominator,
I have a 460 stealth weiand intake thats on an old jet boat motor i bought
for parts. I am very happy with the offy singleplane portosonic I have. E

Dominator Scott
03-28-2007, 08:28 AM
Dominator,
I have a 460 stealth weiand intake thats on an old jet boat motor i bought
for parts. I am very happy with the offy singleplane portosonic I have. E
Just sent ya a PM.

Greaser
03-28-2007, 09:25 AM
Nudder jethotted Weiand Stealth. 2" open hole spacer and nitrous plate.
http://jetboat.homestead.com/files/p1010009t.jpg
Good lookin intake you got there!!! LOL