PDA

View Full Version : Useless questions when looking to buy a boat

Magnuman
03-23-2007, 10:17 AM
I don't know if this has been reviewed before, but what are some of the most useless questions asked when you are looking to buy a boat?
I know I have asked this one before.
" Why are you selling? "
Lets hear some more.

dumbandyoung
03-23-2007, 10:23 AM
what kind of music did you play in the boat?:)

beaverretriever
03-23-2007, 10:24 AM
I don't know if this has been reviewed before, but what are some of the most useless questions asked when you are looking to buy a boat?
I know I have asked this one before.
" Why are you selling? "
Lets hear some more.
That is not a useless question. I have actually asked someone that on a vehicle they were selling and they slipped up and said it kept breaking down...LOL.

Redding Rat
03-23-2007, 10:29 AM
Does it float????

mrs.rvrluvr
03-23-2007, 10:34 AM
Does it float????
I would think this is a very important question. :)

Magnuman
03-23-2007, 10:37 AM
How often did you change the fluids?
Or exchange fluids?:D :D :D

beaverretriever
03-23-2007, 10:40 AM
I must be an idiot, because most of these really don't sound like useless questions...:)

Debbolas
03-23-2007, 10:40 AM
How fast is it?
That is something YOU DON'T want to know?
How about.....................
"How many cupholders?"
:D

NOTALENT
03-23-2007, 10:43 AM
Hmmm...personally I would think that all the questions stated were good questions....except that dumb dues question...:D
Im sure everyone is expecting to know beforehand what speed the boat there about to spend alot of money on is going to go.
Is it a floater, boy I sure hope so....:D
I always ask for maint. records and try to see how often they changed there fluids on all vehicles.
Why are you selling is valid as well....you may not like it for the same reason once you buy it....
Just my opinion though.
I think a valid one is....Does the girl in the pic come with it??? is stupid....lol..for obvious reasons.

Debbolas
03-23-2007, 10:44 AM
If your boat was a tree............what kind would it be?
If we put the boat on a trailer on a treadmill.............will it fly?
Has anyone with white sunglasses EVER been in this boat?
:D

Mr. C
03-23-2007, 10:45 AM
does the trailer come with it?

Jbb
03-23-2007, 10:47 AM
I've been asked ...."how much did YOU pay for it?"...:D

Mr. Crusader 83
03-23-2007, 10:47 AM
i was looking through the boat trader yesterday and i love how.
Almost every jet boat has a rebuilt pump with 0 hours and a new engine with less then 3 hours on it.
Or is it has an I/O its had a new one put on.
:D :D :D

edog_103
03-23-2007, 10:49 AM
This one always gets me.
"Whats your bottom dollar"? Before they even see the boat. my answer is always this "What does the price in the ad. say"?

MR.rvrluvr
03-23-2007, 10:50 AM
pay for what? the boat or the straps....J/K couldn't help myself..:D :D :D
oh ya piece bro...:D :D

Mr. Crusader 83
03-23-2007, 10:52 AM
Does it float????
Like a Log:D

Magnuman
03-23-2007, 10:54 AM
Thats a great one.

Jbb
03-23-2007, 10:57 AM
pay for what? the boat or the straps....J/K couldn't help myself..:D :D :D
oh ya piece bro...:D :D
Piece...

2Driver
03-23-2007, 11:03 AM
I was asked by a friend of a good friend:
" How do I know you are not just trying to off load the boat and it really just has a bunch problems"
It so happened I had another intersted buyer from the trader. I told the friend of a friend that I was not going to sell it to him. He then proceeded to tell me he wanted the boat and that he was only trying to figure out if it was in perfect shape.

dumbandyoung
03-23-2007, 11:07 AM
I believe you should ask all the questions you would if you were buying it from a dealer. You want to know the pros and cons of the boat, car, rv or whatever your buying. The buyer has the right to know if that product would best suit there needs. Just because its a private party doesnt mean you have to ask only certain questions. Now i can understand stupid questions...Boy everyone thats sold a vehicle has heard them. Some thing I always believe was if its not for the persons benefit then they shouldn't buy it.:D
Just my .02

Sleek-Jet
03-23-2007, 11:14 AM
Does it have a Rex Marine MSD box in it??? :D

beaverretriever
03-23-2007, 11:23 AM
Does it attract Zebra or Quagga Muscles?

cdog
03-23-2007, 11:27 AM
Does it float????
Does a Bear Shit in the woods???:D

Magnuman
03-23-2007, 11:32 AM
Hmmm...personally I would think that all the questions stated were good questions....except that dumb dues question...:D
Im sure everyone is expecting to know beforehand what speed the boat there about to spend alot of money on is going to go.
Is it a floater, boy I sure hope so....:D
I always ask for maint. records and try to see how often they changed there fluids on all vehicles.
Why are you selling is valid as well....you may not like it for the same reason once you buy it....
Just my opinion though.
I think a valid one is....Does the girl in the pic come with it??? is stupid....lol..for obvious reasons.
The questions themselves are not useless in a perfect world.
It's typically the answers that renders these questions useless.
Maintenance records are great if the boat is still under warranty and if there is a dealer nearby. I know many people whose boats are under warranty and do the maintenance themselves.
How many people keep a log for every service they do themselves on their boat? Or every item they replaced when something broke or malfunctioned?
I know that usually when I have asked about oil changes the standard answer is: For a car - every 3,000 miles.
For a boat - every 25-40 hrs.
Luckily for me, I bought my current truck from and airline pilot.
He handed me a binder that had a custom spreadsheet for everything that had been done to the truck since he bought it new.
This was definiteley not the norm.
As far as speed, people exaggerate over the phone or on the internet.
When it comes to sea or lake trial it's usually a different story.
And here's the perfect example for the question " Why are you selling?" is usually worthless.
WTF? I thought you were selling this boat becuase it was too extreme? Becuase you were starting a family? Now you want a boat more extreme with less room in it? Ok?

73kona455
03-23-2007, 11:33 AM
Does Hot Boat have a magazine?:D

73kona455
03-23-2007, 11:33 AM
Is it true that RD SUX?

73kona455
03-23-2007, 11:34 AM
Has this boat ever been at the bottom of lake Piru?:D

cdog
03-23-2007, 11:34 AM
I was asked by a friend of a good friend:
" How do I know you are not just trying to off load the boat and it really just has a bunch problems"
It so happened I had another intersted buyer from the trader. I told the friend of a friend that I was not going to sell it to him. He then proceeded to tell me he wanted the boat and that he was only trying to figure out if it was in perfect shape.
My response....
"You can stick your head up a steers ass to get a good look at the T-Bone, but I'd rather take the Butchers word for it.":D

blown dough
03-23-2007, 11:36 AM
Does it come with the boat plug or is that extra?

cdog
03-23-2007, 11:37 AM
Because they know all they sold ya was a guaranteed piece of shit. That's all it is, isn't it? Hey, if you want me to take a dump in a box and mark it guaranteed, I will. I got spare time. But for now, for your customer's sake, for your daughter's sake, ya might wanna think about buying a quality product from me. :D

HPLavey
03-23-2007, 11:41 AM
Have you made any enenies on the lake in it that I need to be aware of

ChumpChange
03-23-2007, 11:44 AM
Does the trailer come with it?

Mr. Crusader 83
03-23-2007, 11:46 AM
Does a Bear Shit in the woods???:D
Not a Polar Bear. He shits in the snow.

Sleek-Jet
03-23-2007, 11:52 AM
Because they know all they sold ya was a guaranteed piece of shit. That's all it is, isn't it? Hey, if you want me to take a dump in a box and mark it guaranteed, I will. I got spare time. But for now, for your customer's sake, for your daughter's sake, ya might wanna think about buying a quality product from me. :D
The next thing you know, your good china is missing and your daughter's knocked up...
Tommy Boy... a classic...

boatsnblondes
03-23-2007, 12:06 PM
Have you had any problems with your MSD??
( I can say that now that I fully understand my beef was NEVER with Rex, but with MSD)... Rex was just being a good guy trying to help....my bad on that whole string...:D

fatboy95
03-23-2007, 12:44 PM
i was looking through the boat trader yesterday and i love how.
Almost every jet boat has a rebuilt pump with 0 hours and a new engine with less then 3 hours on it.
Or is it has an I/O its had a new one put on.
:D :D :D
or they say "Fresh" rebuilt

Mr. Crusader 83
03-23-2007, 12:52 PM
or they say "Fresh" rebuilt
"FRESH" Like 4 years ago.

Magic34
03-23-2007, 01:16 PM
I posted the Nordic I have for sale on Craig's List for more exposure.
Here is the 1 email I have gotten with my response on it as well. I listed the boat for $81,000.
My response shows up first, with his original email at the bottom.
Sent: Sunday, March 18, 2007 11:17 AM
To: sale-296076426@craigslist.org
Subject: >;>; 35 foot Nordic -- Low Hours -- Nordic 35' Flame - $81000
I want your boat but I can only afford $31,000.00 can we call that a deal?
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
this message was remailed to you via: sale-296076426@craigslist.org

a catered life
03-23-2007, 01:22 PM
Does it float????
you beat me to it:D

moneypit
03-23-2007, 01:26 PM
I always hate it when someone shows up and asks what is the least that you will take... I mean wtf? Maybe its a god question form a buyers point of view but it always aggravates me as a seller.. To me it would seem more respectful if you make a resonable offer to see if its an acceptable one. I have often gone to buy something and low-balled someone... or tried to. You never know what the response will be....
The other question hate is when hey ask "how many other people are looking at it"?
Or "will you hold it for me?"
Or " will you deliver it?"
My motto is, the stupider the buyer the more its going to cost. Otherwise Im better of keeping it.

boatsnblondes
03-23-2007, 01:32 PM
PT Barnum said theres a sucker born every minute.....works for me....:eek:

spectras only
03-23-2007, 01:34 PM
Magnum man , I would ask "why are you selling your 27 Magnum " , knowing there isn't a better boat out there ! :D
BTW , did you sell it ?

CARLSON-JET
03-23-2007, 02:05 PM
Can you gaurantee I won't blow it up the first day out?

Dan Lorenze
03-23-2007, 02:40 PM
I always hate it when someone shows up and asks what is the least that you will take... I mean wtf?
I think that's a fair question.. One way or another you have to get the negotiations started.

OCMerrill
03-23-2007, 03:27 PM
I ask the prospective buyer questions. The most important one (before they even come to look) is what boats have they owned?
If the answer is "My last boat was a Bayliner Capri with a Volvo 4cyl...nice boat" then you will automatically know what/who your dealing with. :D
I also ask do you have cash? :D

YeLLowBoaT
03-23-2007, 03:35 PM
"whats the lowest price you would take?"
ugh for you... my asking price... :D

ChumpChange
03-23-2007, 04:00 PM
I'll be up at the river on July 4th....can I go for a test drive then? I'll have about ten of my buddy's with me. I need them there to help with the decision. How does that sound.