PDA

View Full Version : Which Cam??

Hotfish
03-24-2007, 06:47 AM
I'm building a 514 and I'm not sure what cam to go with. I'll be running the Street/Strip 460 heads from Trick Flow, tunnel ram with 600s Hollys, and nitrous. I was thinking of comp cams XM298H. It has .585 .588 lift with 112 lobe seperation and Duration of 254 264 @50. I have an A impeller in the boat. Any info would be appreciated.

thatguy
03-24-2007, 06:54 AM
Sounds a little long for that impeller. Maybe the nitrous will push it over, but I would think a little less active Duration would be better.
Then again, Its for the wrong motor. By a Chevy cam, then build around it!
Sorry, I couldn't help it.:D :D :D
Tommy

Ralph Brunt
03-24-2007, 07:14 AM
hot fish i'm no expert but my build is basically the same 502 with tfs street heads flat top pistons, single 1150 and solid roller i havent buried the throttle yet. it turns berk a cut 5200 and 82 mph at about 3/4 throttle. cam specs are
intake .651 and 237.7 on a 108.9
exhaust .657 and 243.8 on a 114.3
at 50 hope this helps

Hotfish
03-24-2007, 07:54 AM
Thanks for the info. I compression will only be 9.5 or so. Not sold on anything for sure yet.

SmokinLowriderSS
03-24-2007, 08:42 AM
Pull back on the duration to something arround 240 degrees, unless you really want a peak powerband in the 6,500 RPM range. Otherwise, I like the looks of it.

Bajajet
03-24-2007, 10:14 AM
I run the XM288H in my Ford (502). Have been happy with it so far. Similar comp to yours also. Haven't tried anything different so I have no more comments! :)

LakesOnly
03-24-2007, 10:37 AM
I'm building a 514 and I'm not sure what cam to go with. I'll be running the Street/Strip 460 heads from Trick Flow, tunnel ram with 600s Hollys, and nitrous. I was thinking of comp cams XM298H. It has .585 .588 lift with 112 lobe seperation and Duration of 254 264 @50. I have an A impeller in the boat. Any info would be appreciated.Given the 9.5:1 c/r, the cam is a bit much and will make for a poor engine combination. Go down a step in cam size and you'll get better results.
LO

LakesOnly
03-24-2007, 10:39 AM
By a Chevy cam, then build around it!
TommyIn all seriousness (and I am being brutally honest here), this approach will hurt power all the way around.
LO

wet77
03-24-2007, 10:42 AM
I am running a Isky roller from HTP and am loving it!
I made almost 700hp last year on pump gas and a single 850 carb
Now this year we added the 6-71 and a intercooler and wow 955hp@ 6200rpm!
And I never touched the cam!
Duane has the cam problem figured out for jet boats just give a call and he will help you out!

thatguy
03-24-2007, 04:26 PM
Lakes Only, Touche!
Tommy

PETEROC
03-24-2007, 05:06 PM
Duane has the cam problem figured out for jet boats just give a call and he will help you out!
Wet77, Please share! Which Isky grind / specs. are you giving such a great report about?? thanks

SmokinLowriderSS
03-24-2007, 05:45 PM
Look out, bichboy Jane will be pvting you hate-messages next. LMAO.

RCB19
03-24-2007, 07:27 PM
You have a decent set of cyl heads and your starting to get up there in cubes. It would be worth it to have the heads flowed to get some numbers on them, call LSM or C Straub with these numbers and have them design you a camshaft. Also with the cubic inches that you have in combination with the aluminum heads you could easily bump your compression up a full point with no problems. Well worth the effort and you wont be dissapointed with guess work.

wet77
03-24-2007, 07:28 PM
PeterOC call up Duane at HTP and he will help you out:)
Every time he suggests a part it has always helped the boat out so in my opinion he is the one to go to.

bruleracer
03-24-2007, 07:55 PM
Given the 9.5:1 c/r, the cam is a bit much and will make for a poor engine combination. Go down a step in cam size and you'll get better results.
LO
Lakes, We have a bunch of data on the 514, most all the Comp Cams grinds,
of solid rollers, the original SVO heads and Kaase's first redesign, and most
recently Kaase's second design. I think the thing to keep in mind is the RPM
the engine may run on the N2O. Also the fact that the boat is what I call
impellor limided. Nothing is free, if its the best it can be at 6000 rpm
it cant be the best at 7000, or vice-versa.
Brule'

LakesOnly
03-24-2007, 08:25 PM
Lakes, We have a bunch of data on the 514, most all the Comp Cams grinds,
of solid rollers, the original SVO heads and Kaase's first redesign, and most
recently Kaase's second design. I think the thing to keep in mind is the RPM
the engine may run on the N2O. Also the fact that the boat is what I call
impellor limided. Nothing is free, if its the best it can be at 6000 rpm
it cant be the best at 7000, or vice-versa.
Brule'Hi Brule,
I'm not a nitrous guy and wouldn't know; my reply was more aligned with natural apsiration w/o power adders. Point taken on the Hotfish's nitrous intentions, though.
LO

LakesOnly
03-24-2007, 08:29 PM
Lakes Only, Touche!
Tommy
;)

Cs19
03-24-2007, 08:51 PM
an RV cam oughtta be just fine, thats what Im runnin'.;)

RCB19
03-24-2007, 09:06 PM
an RV cam oughtta be just fine, thats what Im runnin'.;)
Yer a Hillbilly!:messedup:

Cs19
03-25-2007, 07:01 AM
Rio, I went with the full race winnebego grind.

Duane HTP
03-25-2007, 07:41 AM
LOL That is Funny! Good One!

SmokinLowriderSS
03-25-2007, 10:21 AM
Is that grind compatible with Alcohol in a Class A? :D

Squirtcha?
03-25-2007, 10:32 AM
I'm curious about one thing and maybe someone can straighten me out here.
If he's running an aggressive roller cam with 10:1 or higher compression and nitrous, will he have cylinder pressures high enough to the point where he would have to run av gas or possibly even race fuel?
If this is true you might want to re-think the build a bit Kev. Personally I know I wouldn't want to have to pay race gas prices or even have the inconvenience of having to go to the airport every time I wanted to take my boat out.
I know some guys are "getting away" with running compression that high on pump gas, but I don't think they're running nitrous which if I'm not mistaken increases cylinder pressures pretty dramatically.
Oh yeah one other thing that may, or may not make a difference. Kev's using a tunnelram and a pair of 600cfm vac sec carbs. Like I said..........I don't know if it makes any difference or not, but I've noticed that Comp Cams shows different cams work better or are recommended to be used with tunnelrams.

Hotfish
03-25-2007, 12:55 PM
I decided not to go with a roller set up and I think my compression will be under 10:1.(dished pistons and 74 cc heads) I was planning on running the same cam as Squirtcha is running but I wasn't sure if I should go a little bigger because of bigger cubic inches. Not sure on the specs of Squirtchas cam, maybe he could chime in.

e514jet
03-25-2007, 06:00 PM
Hotfish,
This is the cam I used in my 514. Very happy with it. lunati 31605 cam
(615/622 lift with 1.73 rockers 245/255@50) works great! Flat tappet camshaft, very snappy and awsome lope. E

Squirtcha?
03-25-2007, 06:36 PM
Pretty much everything I've read would point to a dual profile cam such as the one listed above. Supposedly it can help to make up for the Ford's exhaust ports being so much smaller than the intake. It might not be as much of an issue with the Trick Flows though.
Mines not a dual profile however, and still seems to do alright.
Clay Smith H-300-8-BHL Hydraulic flat tappet
duration @ .050 is 244 intake and 244 exhaust
lift is .570 intake and .570 exhaust
1.75 rocker arms

wickedfab
03-25-2007, 10:21 PM
i only read one person questioning the two 600 vac sec carbs. i run them i hate them. the vac sec will never work right and you will never get the power you can out of your combo. sounds like you are putting a descent combo together and imho i would change the carbs 1st off ? anybody else agree? or is it just mine that suck ass....if you know how to tune them pm me seriously.
with those heads i would think they would flow more with a bit more lift than what cam you chose. also if you have the money run a solid roller and never look back. i ran a s r in one of my rides and it is noticable. i wish i could run one in my motor now. as far as other specs cant help you there only going to ramble about what i do know :D

RCB19
03-25-2007, 10:47 PM
Again... Have the heads flowed and call LSM. Shelf cams will make power but there is soooooo much more to be had.
http://www.lsmeng.com/

79centurion
03-26-2007, 08:49 AM
Kevin, I would do a cam like dans, or maybe add 10 on the exhaust side. If you dont plan on using nitrous all the time, the bigger cam will hurt you on just motor passes. So in order to get the boat faster you will always have to use the nitrous. Keep the compression down to 9-9.5 so you can run a 100-150 shot and pump gas. If you bring it up, then expect to have to put in a little race gas to be safe.
Dan

AzMandella
03-27-2007, 03:57 PM
I decided not to go with a roller set up and I think my compression will be under 10:1.(dished pistons and 74 cc heads) I was planning on running the same cam as Squirtcha is running but I wasn't sure if I should go a little bigger because of bigger cubic inches. Not sure on the specs of Squirtchas cam, maybe he could chime in.
What cc dish pistons(how many cc dish) are you using?Mine are 14cc dish and with 74 cc Trick flaow 74 cc heads I'm betwrrn 11.5-1 and 12-1 compresion.By the way I.m running a full Crower roller setup.I'll have to find my cam card but it's about .660 lift int&dur amd like 308 int and 312 exh advertised duration.

AzMandella
03-27-2007, 04:14 PM
i only read one person questioning the two 600 vac sec carbs. i run them i hate them. the vac sec will never work right and you will never get the power you can out of your combo. sounds like you are putting a descent combo together and imho i would change the carbs 1st off ? anybody else agree? or is it just mine that suck ass....if you know how to tune them pm me seriously.
with those heads i would think they would flow more with a bit more lift than what cam you chose. also if you have the money run a solid roller and never look back. i ran a s r in one of my rides and it is noticable. i wish i could run one in my motor now. as far as other specs cant help you there only going to ramble about what i do know :D
Well I was going to comment on the 600's but not because they are vac secondaries but because they are too small.I run vac secondaries and they are great.You just have to know how to set them up.You have to put a ballance tube on the diaphrams and change the springs. Mine runs as good as any set of dubble pumpers and saves fuel.
I found my cam card.Crower #22403 solid roller. 300 int,310 exh.and 654 int, 647 exh at .050.But I have .662 int, .655 exh because I'm running 1.75 rocker ratio instead of stock1.73 ratio

wickedfab
03-27-2007, 04:36 PM
yeah i have the equal tube thingy on there and also changed the springs???? hmmm they dont open unless forced aka zip tie trick. they are also modded for a metering block for jetting which i can mess with. stupid things

AzMandella
03-27-2007, 05:35 PM
yeah i have the equal tube thingy on there and also changed the springs???? hmmm they dont open unless forced aka zip tie trick. they are also modded for a metering block for jetting which i can mess with. stupid things
Did you check the diaphram housing after assembly for leaks wit a vacume guage to make sure it held vacume.If their leaking you can chase problems all day long.What color springs?These run like a raped ape.
http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y189/AzMandella/Boat/carb003-1.jpg
http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y189/AzMandella/Boat/carb003.jpg

Squirtcha?
03-27-2007, 05:57 PM
What cc dish pistons(how many cc dish) are you using?Mine are 14cc dish and with 74 cc Trick flaow 74 cc heads I'm betwrrn 11.5-1 and 12-1 compresion.By the way I.m running a full Crower roller setup.I'll have to find my cam card but it's about .660 lift int&dur amd like 308 int and 312 exh advertised duration.
Couple questions.........Are you able to run pump gas with those compression numbers?
Do you know how much horsepower you've got?
Well I was going to comment on the 600's but not because they are vac secondaries but because they are too small.I run vac secondaries and they are great.You just have to know how to set them up.You have to put a ballance tube on the diaphrams and change the springs. Mine runs as good as any set of dubble pumpers and saves fuel.
You don't feel that 1200 cfm wouldn't be enough to feed 650hp or so?
What carbs are you running on yours?
Not intended to be smart ass'd questions. Really curious.

wickedfab
03-27-2007, 06:40 PM
Did you check the diaphram housing after assembly for leaks wit a vacume guage to make sure it held vacume.If their leaking you can chase problems all day long.What color springs?These run like a raped ape.
http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y189/AzMandella/Boat/carb003-1.jpg
http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y189/AzMandella/Boat/carb003.jpg
probaly cuz they are perty:)
no didnt check 4 vac leak but i will 1st thing when i get her back together:mad:

AzMandella
03-27-2007, 07:11 PM
Couple questions.........Are you able to run pump gas with those compression numbers?
Do you know how much horsepower you've got?
You don't feel that 1200 cfm wouldn't be enough to feed 650hp or so?
What carbs are you running on yours?
Not intended to be smart ass'd questions. Really curious.
No I can't run pump gas.What I do is I buy 112 oct race fuel and mix it with 91 octane pump gas.$6.00 a gal for race fuel and $2.80 for pump gas.You get 101.5 oct for $4.40 a gal.Hell 50 gal of pump gas cost $140.00 so whats $60.00 moreI like the fact that the engine get's lead.there are a few octane boosters out there that are really good and really work.
Big block Fords like to breath.I had 600 cfm carbs on it when it had a 460 in it.And that wasn't quite enough.Whan I had the 514 built I bought two proform main bodies,a pair of Quick Fuel throttle bodies and metering blocks.I used the floatbowls and vacume assemblies from the 600's.The mainbodies are $100.00 each and $150.00 each for the throttle bodies,and 40 each for the metering blocks.That comes out to $330.00 for each carb. As far as horsepower I figure in the 650 range mabey more.It would be interesting to see what a Desktop Dyno would say.

Hotfish
03-27-2007, 07:39 PM
I should be at 9.5:1 on the compression. i have never had any problem running my 600s. i did change the springs to the 2nd lightest spring when I first put the tunnel ram on. I also put the tube between the vac. so they read the same.

AzMandella
03-27-2007, 07:51 PM
I should be at 9.5:1 on the compression. i have never had any problem running my 600s. i did change the springs to the 2nd lightest spring when I first put the tunnel ram on. I also put the tube between the vac. so they read the same.
I never had any problems with my 600's but you would be suprised at how much the engine will pick up with the extra CFM's.I would like to try a set of 850's to see how it would respond.

Squirtcha?
03-28-2007, 07:08 AM
Kev
Do you know what pistons they're putting in that short block? With the pistons that you and I have now .180 in dish, the Trick Flow street/strips will put you at 9.79:1 compression. If they stuff that thing with flattops you're going to be way higher than that.
You might want to give em a call at CNC and let em know what heads you're going to run.
If they're building it specifically for you, and you let em know what compression you're aiming for it'd help to make sure you get the right pistons for the small chambered heads and end up with the compression ratio you want.
Or maybe you've done that already?
Just trying to look out for ya brother.

Hotfish
03-28-2007, 08:35 PM
Thanks Dan. I told them I wanted to be at 9.5 so they are putting a dished piston in. I talked to another builder and he suggest the Air Flow Research heads instead of the Trick Flow. No idea in the cost range compaired to the Trick heads. We'll see.

78CoLe
03-28-2007, 08:44 PM
edle perf rpm or the new kassie or blue thunder trickflow hasnt impressed me have no info for the afr's my .02

FILUCKY
03-29-2007, 02:41 PM
THe SCJ, and the TFS heads with a port match and bowl cleanup can easily support over 700hp with a single carb and pump gas. Whats not impressive about that? When did AFR start making heads for a BBF?:rolleyes: Trying to get good info on how to make power out of a BBF on "***boat" probibly isn't the best way, try a site that specalizes in building perfomane BBF's like www.460ford.com Good luck.:)

AzMandella
03-29-2007, 04:16 PM
edle perf rpm or the new kassie or blue thunder trickflow hasnt impressed me have no info for the afr's my .02
Blue Thunder's are the chit! But I wouldn't run the Edlebrocks over the Trick Flows.And when did AFR ever start making BBF heads?:confused:

Squirtcha?
03-29-2007, 06:48 PM
Blue Thunder's are the chit! But I wouldn't run the Edlebrocks over the Trick Flows.And when did AFR ever start making BBF heads?:confused:
Agreed. I'm running the Edelbrocks on mine, but the Trick Flow street/strips weren't in production at the time my build was happening. I didn't have the cash to go the A460 route, or with Blue Thunders. Just looked at AFR's website and checked their 2007 online catalogue. There are still no offerings for BBFs. SBFs are available, but still no BBFs.
I don't regret going with the Edelbrocks as they were (at the time 5 years ago) the best bang for the buck for BBFs. I paid $1600 for fully loaded heads assembled with valves, springs etc. delivered to my door in two days. Oh yeah almost forgot there was a time factor/crunch on the build too.
Being able to run pump gas is a major concern for me. Like Kevin (hotfish) I use my boat to tote the family around, water ski, occasionally wake board, and cruise. It's not a race boat, although I've been known to throw down. Coincidently many many times with Kevin (hotfish). I'm getting a little nervous about 600-650 hp and a nitrous kit to boot. Time for more power.
What's left that impresses you? Care to quantify your response?

Cs19
03-29-2007, 10:33 PM
60 mm RV cam with the winnebego/RCB grind with a 4/7 swap.

HaulinAss
03-30-2007, 12:50 AM
would that be a 3/4 race cam
where well in the hell is the rest of it? :D

79centurion
03-30-2007, 02:12 AM
where well in the hell is the rest of it? :D
You only need 6 cylinders to run fast, come on everybody knows that:D
Dan