PDA

View Full Version : Blower manufacturer, does it matter ?

1968Droptop
03-24-2007, 07:33 AM
So I'm reading what i can on blowers. I was playing on-line last night and doing some 'shopping'. There was a decent price difference between a BDS and a Hampton. Why ? Is the Hampton junk ? BDS over priced ? A buddy has a Hampton and it sure works great, and looks great as well. I couldn't find a Weind application for a Ford. I did find some used Holman Moody stuff, but was unable to locate a new dealer for them.
I've heard the stories about buying one from the military, or a bus barn used for cheap. Then sending it off to have it rebuilt and polished on the cheap. How true are these stories ? I'm thinking if it was that cheap, everybody would do it ???

Infomaniac
03-24-2007, 07:53 AM
Hampton makes great stuff he is one of the last independant blower guys. Get one from him. Tell him Ron from Moritz said hi.

IMPATIENT 1
03-24-2007, 08:49 AM
So I'm reading what i can on blowers. I was playing on-line last night and doing some 'shopping'. There was a decent price difference between a BDS and a Hampton. Why ? Is the Hampton junk ? BDS over priced ? A buddy has a Hampton and it sure works great, and looks great as well. I couldn't find a Weind application for a Ford. I did find some used Holman Moody stuff, but was unable to locate a new dealer for them.
I've heard the stories about buying one from the military, or a bus barn used for cheap. Then sending it off to have it rebuilt and polished on the cheap. How true are these stories ? I'm thinking if it was that cheap, everybody would do it ???
your talking about converting a gmc blower into a gas application. most of those gmc's a 6-71s.i know guys who run converted blower and they work fine for low boost stuff.what gets expensive is the drive and all the stuff it takes to make it a gas blower.i've seen a gmc case/rotors and weiand case/rotors side by side and they're not many differences other than how the ribs are on the gmc case. there's some reputable blower rebuilders on ebay with "buy it now" conversions that are to high $$.

George Pataki
03-24-2007, 10:16 AM
Heres another independant blower guy http://www.dyersblowers.com/ around Illinois.

1968Droptop
03-24-2007, 01:16 PM
Heres another independant blower guy http://www.dyersblowers.com/ around Illinois.
VERY reasonable prices, thanks !!!
I priced BDS first, but after doing more research it seems as though they're really on the high side. I don't know anything about these smaller mom n pops shops. Are they generally just as good, realiablitly wise ? I don't want to save a couple of bucks only to have it come apart and trash the entire engine. Thanks for the help !!!!

78Eliminator
03-24-2007, 04:10 PM
You might want to consider finding a nice used unit. There are plenty of used Dyers, Littlefields, DCs, Hamptons, BDS, Mooneyhams and Kuhls. They are all decent units. Just need to know how to inspect them. Lots of junk out there too so be careful. Fiat48 on the boards here is selling a perfect Littlefield 6/71 right now. Its a few pages into the spam section. I will go bump it right now.
Here is the blower that is for sale. It's in the white flatty. Be sure to watch the whole video as the last pass you can hear it really well:
http://www.schoutenranch.com/clips/10-9-6.wmv

GofastRacer
03-24-2007, 07:43 PM
Well, since ole Gene is not around anymore I'd go with Littlefield, he's been around a long time and his stuff is tops and it's kinda hard to beat the price too!..

wetnreckless
03-27-2007, 07:29 AM
I've done the gmc deal and had bds go thru it, definitely not the way to go.
by the time they machine, clearance, polish the case / rotors, and may
need gears and bearings seals etc. plus buying the drive and carb adapters
I think it may be better to go with a kit. also check out theblowershop.com
They have some nice pieces and are easy to work with.
just some food for thought.

adjones419
03-27-2007, 02:59 PM
Littlefield for sure, unless you can afford a billet one from The Blower Shop!

Sanger Jet
03-27-2007, 03:09 PM
I've been looking for awhile now What I've found is the dizzy and balancer to be another expense.

Smitty19
03-27-2007, 03:51 PM
I'm going to put my plug in for mooney ham Rick is the guy that took it over from gene and has been really fair with me I've traded up three times to the 14 I have now and has givin me the same credit as if I would I have tried to sell it used and he totaly stands behind them if there is any issue

IMPATIENT 1
03-27-2007, 04:07 PM
I'm going to put my plug in for mooney ham Rick is the guy that took it over from gene and has been really fair with me I've traded up three times to the 14 I have now and has givin me the same credit as if I would I have tried to sell it used and he totaly stands behind them if there is any issue
man, that sounds like good service! what's a 8-71 mh goin for these days? will they fit on a weiand intake?

VDRIVERACING
03-29-2007, 10:53 AM
I bought my 8-71 from Gene Mooneyham, and have had Rick service it a couple of times since he took over. Rick delivers on time and is very helpful. Not as cheap as Gene was, but still very fair prices and good work.
One thing to consider, is a vendor who is near you, if one exists. It's nice to take it in for timing, bearings, etc every year or so.
I may be a bit of a maintenance fanatic, but I expect top performance from that pump, and have a lot invested underneath it....

poncho-pwr
03-30-2007, 11:53 PM
As far as bang for the buck goes it is going to be hard if not impossible to beat Hampton when you consider the whole package, i.e. service before and after the sale, quality parts, manufacturer who stands behind his stuff! There is nothing wrong with Mooneyham, Littlefield, BDS & Dyers, but I have used them all personally and put all of them on customer's engines and I will take the Hampton experience every time if I have my choice. There are applications where I use other brands such as the billet case BDS blowers from time to time, and in a no holds barred BIG bucks make it scream blower build we ONLY use Kobelcos = Really Nice and $$$$$$$$$$. How big is this engine you are building and how much boost are you wanting to make? How much compression and soforth??

1968Droptop
03-31-2007, 11:07 AM
I opted to use Hampton's Blower Service. I ordered it last Wed. After speaking with Don (Hampton) on the phone, I was sold. Seemed more than willing to chat with a newby in the blower circle. Took an extra few mintues to explain a thing or too, and answer some questions I had. 5-6 weeks and it should be in my hand.
The engine is a 521 Ford with 9:1 cr. Forged crank, rods, n pistons. Worked over Blue Thunder 100cc AL heads with Chevy ex. ports, Miller rockers, 3/8 pushrods, billet cam w/ solid rollers, extensively worked over block, Armondo's Racing oil pan (10qt.), and two Dominator 1050 2-circut carbs sitting on top. Paul (Lakes Only) at www.highflowdynamics.com is doing the work to the short block and most of the final assembly.
I plan on running 8 lbs. of boost, and running the SnowCool water/meth injection. Don told me I'll be fine with this setup on 92 octane, and the water/meth injection will add a bit of safety to my engine. I'm told by my eninge builder Paul 800-850HP, and Hampton's said 850-900HP. So I think 850 should be a reasonable guess. I'm hoping to run it on the dyno b/4 I install it into my boat.

atxwrangler
03-31-2007, 12:30 PM
wow sounds like you bit the bullet and did it right!what are the specs on your cam?:) alao,what kind of a fuel supply did paul say to run with this?i think i'm going to try feeding mine with a clay smith mechanical!from sweet performance!

1968Droptop
03-31-2007, 04:33 PM
wow sounds like you bit the bullet and did it right!what are the specs on your cam?:) alao,what kind of a fuel supply did paul say to run with this?i think i'm going to try feeding mine with a clay smith mechanical!from sweet performance!
I didn't bite the bullet, but my VISA did :) . The wife said to it right the first time, and I followed her advice to a tee !!! I didn't want to skimp in any way shape or form. Paul has guided my through this entire build, I can't say enough good things about him !!! I started out to build a nice healthy BBF, running one carb, and ended up here. I started this project in August of last year, and he's been more than patient with the build upgrading, and with me !!!
The cam just got spec'd out last Thursday. I'm not 100%, but like .748 intake and .695. The ex. is going to get a few extra degrees while open to help clean out the spent shit.
I'm using a Holley 172GPH mechanical unit, -8 from tanks to carb. I'd of purchased the Clay Smith, but already had this pump in my hands. I've read up on the mech pumps, and it sounds like it'll feed my engine fine.
What are you running for power ? I know it's a BBF, but that's all I know.

Jbb
03-31-2007, 05:16 PM
Im have used B&M,The Blower Shop, and now BDS......Not racing...just lake cruising....never had any problems with any of em...

atxwrangler
03-31-2007, 06:45 PM
I didn't bite the bullet, but my VISA did :) . The wife said to it right the first time, and I followed her advice to a tee !!! I didn't want to skimp in any way shape or form. Paul has guided my through this entire build, I can't say enough good things about him !!! I started out to build a nice healthy BBF, running one carb, and ended up here. I started this project in August of last year, and he's been more than patient with the build upgrading, and with me !!!
The cam just got spec'd out last Thursday. I'm not 100%, but like .748 intake and .695. The ex. is going to get a few extra degrees while open to help clean out the spent shit.
I'm using a Holley 172GPH mechanical unit, -8 from tanks to carb. I'd of purchased the Clay Smith, but already had this pump in my hands. I've read up on the mech pumps, and it sounds like it'll feed my engine fine.
my motor is a .030 over 460/aka 466 with blue thunder stage 2 heads chebby,ex. ports.7.5 to 1 c.r. with a don hampton 871,bds blower cam 650 lift .two holley 850's http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/520/2686HPIM0767.JPG

1968Droptop
03-31-2007, 07:51 PM
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/520/2686HPIM0767.JPG
That thing looks awesome, and is going to smoke across the water !!! Nothing like a 3" belt buzzing behind ya.
My buddy had a Cheyenne like yours. BBF, 521 cubes, tunnel ram w/ 2 1050 Dominators on top. He just installed a NOS fogger system (250 shot for know), just in case he needs it..LOL

atxwrangler
03-31-2007, 08:04 PM
thanks! i'm thinking about naming it "SMOKE ON THE WATER" WADDAYA THINK?:D http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/520/2686HPIM1202.JPG

1968Droptop
03-31-2007, 09:04 PM
thanks! i'm thinking about naming it "SMOKE ON THE WATER" WADDAYA THINK?:D
I like it ! Or maybe SMOKE YOU ON THE WATER :D

RumRunner
04-05-2007, 08:18 AM
I'd vote for Ron and the guys out at The Blower Shop. Not the cheapest, but some of the best work!

moparjet
04-05-2007, 02:42 PM
I opted to use Hampton's Blower Service. I ordered it last Wed. After speaking with Don (Hampton) on the phone, I was sold. Seemed more than willing to chat with a newby in the blower circle. Took an extra few mintues to explain a thing or too, and answer some questions I had. 5-6 weeks and it should be in my hand.
The engine is a 521 Ford with 9:1 cr. Forged crank, rods, n pistons. Worked over Blue Thunder 100cc AL heads with Chevy ex. ports, Miller rockers, 3/8 pushrods, billet cam w/ solid rollers, extensively worked over block, Armondo's Racing oil pan (10qt.), and two Dominator 1050 2-circut carbs sitting on top. Paul (Lakes Only) at www.highflowdynamics.com is doing the work to the short block and most of the final assembly.
I plan on running 8 lbs. of boost, and running the SnowCool water/meth injection. Don told me I'll be fine with this setup on 92 octane, and the water/meth injection will add a bit of safety to my engine. I'm told by my eninge builder Paul 800-850HP, and Hampton's said 850-900HP. So I think 850 should be a reasonable guess. I'm hoping to run it on the dyno b/4 I install it into my boat.
i should have got one from him....i ordered one in dec......and still waiting...it sucks waiting and being told 2 more weeks every time you call

repo man
04-07-2007, 02:57 PM
hampton's hands down. he is a real one man show. he does all his work himself. from sweeping the shop to building all the superchargers Don does it all.

VDRIVERACING
04-10-2007, 08:50 AM
-8.... skimpy

jrork
04-10-2007, 04:27 PM
-8.... skimpy
Really? I'm going the same route.