PDA

View Full Version : broke intake fin??how to fix??

IMPATIENT 1
03-24-2007, 08:39 AM
:confused: my rh intake fin got abused before i got the boat, is there anyway to fix it without pulling the intake? the intake is set so nice and doesn't leak, i can't do it near as nice. its got @ 2-3 inches broke off the lower part, still has plenty to weld to. anybody got a __cked up intake they'd be willing to sell cheap so i can take a fin off or does anyone make a fin repair piece? the pumps coming out soon, and i got a marine shop here local that does awesome alum welding.
appreciate any suggestions guys, i'm gearing up and ready to get back on the water, mills almost done, pump won't take but a weekend to go thru after i get the parts.

Gearhead
03-24-2007, 08:49 AM
Gee Tom that tough! I hate to hear that. I am not aware of a kit per say, but I have seen a many a skeg on outboards repaired by taking plate aluminum, shaping into the pattern and then welding back on. I figure the same can be done on your intake. It makes the task more difficult to weld it under the boat, but I think it can be done.
Gearhead

IMPATIENT 1
03-24-2007, 08:53 AM
Gee Tom that tough! I hate to hear that. I am not aware of a kit per say, but I have seen a many a skeg on outboards repaired by taking plate aluminum, shaping into the pattern and then welding back on. I figure the same can be done on your intake. It makes the task more difficult to weld it under the boat, but I think it can be done.
Gearhead
i've seen intakes on jets at the boat ramps in bbow with fixed fins and was thinking maybe with the pump out, heat wouldn't be an issue. i may end up pulling it to repair but it'd sure be nice not to have to do it.i've got so many things to do before it'll see water again and i'm getting the itch bad the warmer it gets!!!:D

Emanon Performance Marine
03-24-2007, 09:24 AM
Cut them of equal. No biggy. The E pump don't run any and the River Racer guys cut them all the way off flat, and if you remember your Sanger had very short ones. You will be fine.

IMPATIENT 1
03-24-2007, 09:29 AM
Cut them of equal. No biggy. The E pump don't run any and the River Racer guys cut them all the way off flat, and if you remember your Sanger had very short ones. You will be fine.
i don't have a e-pump, runnin a condor tx-19 now with a dominator pump, blower mill. E.P.M. i've it stepped up alittle since you helped me out with the taylor sj's set-up,lol.that damn sj would run when i got done with it, but i know this gulwing is gonna need them when its sitting real high outta the water at wot.

b's sanger
03-24-2007, 09:34 AM
Have someone weld a piece of aluminum stock on it and grind to match. Worked for me.

IMPATIENT 1
03-24-2007, 09:52 AM
Have someone weld a piece of aluminum stock on it and grind to match. Worked for me.
definately an option i have in mind if i can't find a boat parked at a motel too long:D j/k there's a old beat down boat in a town close to me i'm gonna go by and see if he'll take couple hundred for it, strip it down for parts. just kinda hope'n someone here had a broken intake laying around with a good fin on it i could transplant. this boat

CARLSON-JET
03-24-2007, 10:55 AM
definately an option i have in mind if i can't find a boat parked at a motel too long:D j/k there's a old beat down boat in a town close to me i'm gonna go by and see if he'll take couple hundred for it, strip it down for parts. just kinda hope'n someone here had a broken intake laying around with a good fin on it i could transplant. this boat
IMPATIANT, are you needing a donor like this? http://www.hotboatpics.com/pics/data/500/0DSC00031-med.JPG

Cs19
03-24-2007, 07:39 PM
If you weld on the intake it might heat the intake to the point where the epoxy gives up, which isnt good. To fix it the right way you should remove the intake have it repaired and re-install.