PDA

View Full Version : Hot Fuel Class Action

Wet Dream
03-25-2007, 05:57 AM
A couple of years ago, someone brought this up on here, and if I remember correctly it was mentioned that it was no big deal. 7 states so far think it is a big deal and are filing suit.
When a gallon of gasoline is 60 degrees it will fill a one-gallon container. But that same gasoline at 90 degrees would spill over the sides of the container, The Tribune noted. It is that spillage that represents the energy drivers allegedly paid for, but didn't get, when they purchased a gallon of "hot gas."
Full Story (http://www.npnweb.com/uploads/featurearticles/2007/npnMarketPulse/030707_mp2.asp)
Ok, so $50 per year doesn't amount to much for the average commuter, but for guys that own fleets...

photo chick
03-25-2007, 06:28 AM
Question then.....say the gas stations install temperature correcting equipment. You now fill your tank with cooled fuel, drive down the street in 105 degrees, park your car, go into the market, do you come out and now your tank is overflowing? Just curious... Or now do the car makers install temperature correcting equipment and turn around to charge us when buying a car?

Wet Dream
03-25-2007, 06:38 AM
It compensates the amount charged. Granted, if you drive a Neon, you'll save $.02 per tank at best, but diesels and large tanks will have more variance. Hell, people idle more than $50 in a year.

photo chick
03-25-2007, 06:46 AM
It compensates the amount charged. Granted, if you drive a Neon, you'll save $.02 per tank at best, but diesels and large tanks will have more variance. Hell, people idle more than $50 in a year.
That makes more sense, guess I should have read the entire story:D
You think airfare will go down if the airlines install these...hahaha!

ratso
03-25-2007, 06:49 AM
A couple of years ago, someone brought this up on here, and if I remember correctly it was mentioned that it was no big deal. 7 states so far think it is a big deal and are filing suit.
When a gallon of gasoline is 60 degrees it will fill a one-gallon container. But that same gasoline at 90 degrees would spill over the sides of the container, The Tribune noted. It is that spillage that represents the energy drivers allegedly paid for, but didn't get, when they purchased a gallon of "hot gas."
Full Story (http://www.npnweb.com/uploads/featurearticles/2007/npnMarketPulse/030707_mp2.asp)
Ok, so $50 per year doesn't amount to much for the average commuter, but for guys that own fleets...
This has been brought up a few times... topic got kind of "heated"... pun intended...:D
Anyway, I've noticed boats that are full of fuel usually with saddle tanks as in low profile jet boats... sitting in the hot sun, and gas will overflow.

mickeyfinn
03-25-2007, 08:15 AM
Question then.....say the gas stations install temperature correcting equipment. You now fill your tank with cooled fuel, drive down the street in 105 degrees, park your car, go into the market, do you come out and now your tank is overflowing? Just curious... Or now do the car makers install temperature correcting equipment and turn around to charge us when buying a car?
Either way the car is filled to the same level. Temp corrected or not. The only difference is the amount charged for the volume of fuel. I don't know how much difference it would make, however I suspect that with below ground fuel tanks it is not much of a problem in most areas. They aren't going to change temp of the fuel, just the cost/gallon or the volume of a gallon.
If as the article says the measure is a volume at 60 degrees then it sounds like the laws are being complied with. If anything, what we need is the new rule from weights and measures, not another class action make the lawyers rich suit.

SmokinLowriderSS
03-25-2007, 10:45 AM
I was in the "heated" Flying J ripoff thread, shortly after I showed up on the board, and dug through a ton of physics behaviors on that thread.
Note that the article tells you the fuel expands when it's temperature raises, BUT, they do not tell you how much it expands.
Everything, liquid or solid, expands when you heat it, water, cooking oil, motor oil, motor fuel, metal bars, the road actually gets longer) most notable on bridges).
Heat gasoline from 50* to 150*, (100 degrees of temperature increase, the volume increases aproximately 1.5% (same from 0* to 100*)
It is linear, so a 30* increase will be slightly less than 1/2%
100 gallons of 50* gasoline becomes 101.5 gallons at 150 degrees.
100 gallons of 50* gasoline becomes 100.5gallons at 90 degrees.
20 gallons of 50* gasoline becomes 20.1 gallons at 90*.
Here's the "ripoff".
Fuel from an above ground tank (the Flying J thread), at 120*, buy 16 gallons in your car/truck.
When the fuel cools to 80* that evening, you just lost aprox .7% of your 16 gallons, .112 gallons, or 1 pint of gasoline volume (1/8 of a gallon), or 37 cents on the tankful at $3 a gallon. $0.37 on the purchase of $48 (at $3/gal).
It's negligible BS, but the fact of the stupid lawsuit does not surprise me one bit these days.

Jbb
03-25-2007, 11:46 AM
That makes more sense, guess I should have read the entire story:D
You think airfare will go down if the airlines install these...hahaha!
Duh.....
:D

photo chick
03-25-2007, 11:53 AM
Duh.....
:D
Hey smartass go back to sleep unless you have something to add here!:D

Jbb
03-25-2007, 11:58 AM
Hey smartass
:jawdrop:

Racey
03-25-2007, 12:12 PM
If you paid by the pound instead of by the gallon there would be no issue...