PDA

View Full Version : Canopies - Have them? Want them? Get them again?

Chipster27
03-25-2007, 04:30 PM
In looking at tunnels it seems like the trend is moving towards canopies.
Does your boat have them? Do you like them? Would you get them again? If you don't have them, will your next boat have them?

John.
03-25-2007, 05:41 PM
Does your boat have them? Do you like them? Would you get them again? If you don't have them, will your next boat have them?
don't have them now. sometimes wish I had them when running over 100mph. some kind of wind breaker would be nice. I think my next boat will most likely have canopies if its another fast boat.

Phat Matt
03-25-2007, 05:55 PM
don't have them now. sometimes wish I had them when running over 100mph. some kind of wind breaker would be nice. I think my next boat will most likely have canopies if its another fast boat.
Do you have any wind deflectors at all?

John.
03-25-2007, 07:29 PM
Do you have any wind deflectors at all?
nope. I wear goggles so I can see because the high speeds make my eyes water when we're going fast. Dana Marine makes some pop up wind screens for Ultra boats that look really cool, but I don't have a way to install them. I'm afraid of cutting into the gel and then I think I'd have to have some of my interior rebuilt to form around the wind screen mechanism and I don't have a way to do that either. Would be really cool to have though.

DCBob
03-25-2007, 08:20 PM
Yes, the wife loves the canopies ;)

MR HARLEY
03-25-2007, 08:22 PM
Have them and would get them again in a heartbeat.

Phat Matt
03-25-2007, 08:26 PM
nope. I wear goggles so I can see because the high speeds make my eyes water when we're going fast. Dana Marine makes some pop up wind screens for Ultra boats that look really cool, but I don't have a way to install them. I'm afraid of cutting into the gel and then I think I'd have to have some of my interior rebuilt to form around the wind screen mechanism and I don't have a way to do that either. Would be really cool to have though.
They make a HUGE difference. Plus I have had some pretty decent size bugs hit it that probably would have left a mark on my face. I would get some. Mine are small and I can't believe the difference it makes.
http://www.eticketboats.com/Luxury_Cat/2005_gallery2/images/05-Wind-deflectors.jpg

Da Twins
03-25-2007, 08:42 PM
the best idea in boating, if your boat has any amount of speed you have to have them.
I can run all day long with my cap on

Bullhead Bully
03-25-2007, 09:14 PM
I have them and would for sure get them again. If you run any distance or speed and then add 120 degree heat they are a life saver.:D

dicudmore
03-25-2007, 09:23 PM
my boat has a windshield and in this case I love it--having driven other 30's that don't, its a night and day difference...as for 1/4 canopies personally I HATE them...I think they look cool, but can not deal with the distortion and total lack of vision with them. Also, with no wind in your face, you kinda lose the sensation that you're going 100 MPH, it can be very deceiving...
http://www.***boat.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=27275&d=1174886568

Kilrtoy
03-25-2007, 11:35 PM
OK first off, NOT ALL CANOPIES ARE THE SAME
EASTCOAST, for the most part use real F-16 canopies and they are crystal clear
ok WESTCOAST, only two companies have great ones,
DCB and COBRA, the rest of the west coast is complete CRAP.
So with that said, I love mine, could not picture not having them,
But I am rinning some serious speeds north of 70MPH:eek:

FREIND OF AA AND TA
03-26-2007, 06:39 AM
I have a love hate relationship with mine!

John.
03-26-2007, 07:14 AM
They make a HUGE difference. Plus I have had some pretty decent size bugs hit it that probably would have left a mark on my face. I would get some. Mine are small and I can't believe the difference it makes.
http://www.eticketboats.com/Luxury_Cat/2005_gallery2/images/05-Wind-deflectors.jpg
oh, I definitely want them, I will just have to find someone who can install them and do some interior work for me as well to make them fit...plus squeeze out $1600 for just the parts (plus labor).

jrgaudettes
03-26-2007, 07:15 AM
Sorry to Hijack. But anyone know what the # is to (Finies) in Havasu? I was told they were the ones who make the fold down wind screens that you see on Magic's. I want to go that route as they are alot cheaper then the Dana's.

acatitude
03-26-2007, 08:03 AM
Goggles, I thought you just ducked your head down behind Jory:D :D .
But like they say once youve had canopies you wont go back. sure wish the grocery getter had them for those high speed 73 mph runs. seriously after riding in a couple boats with the canopies, they are great but Like kilr said , some seem distorted. now why someone would build a 200k plus boat and go cheap on the canopies is beyond me.
The deflecters help but some will just fall over after about 80 so be sure of which kind your getting.

acatitude
03-26-2007, 08:06 AM
NORTH????? you do live in an upside down world. slow down for that stop sign will yaa:D :D

mbrown2
03-26-2007, 08:21 AM
Love the windbreak, hate the distortion, specifically when it comes to peripheral vision.....would rather have a wrap around windscreen.

DCBDaytona
03-26-2007, 09:01 AM
First off....No company uses REAL F-16 canopies, LOL. If they did, you could add MUCHO DINERO to the price of the boat. They cost about as much as an F-26 like yours.
IMO even the DCB canopies are horrible. Too many vision problems and the distortion makes it hard to read the water. And I agree with what someboady said above...You kinda lose your sense of speed and get too comfortable running at high speed.

shippingguy
03-26-2007, 09:23 AM
I think boats with canopies look really nice and I think boats without them do too.
I have been in one with canopies(DCB) and it was nice, but personally I did not like the distortion on the sides and I do like some sort of breeze in my face. I also second what Dan said earlier regarding the speed thing too. That was the first time I was in one so I am sure with some more seat time you/I would get used to it. I do not think you can go wrong either way.
I definitely think that having some sort of wind deflector is a must. I never had any on my other boats till this new one and they make a huge difference.
I have the very first set of the new Dana Power Windshields and they are awesome:) I can run at speed with a hat on with them up as well and till get a nice breeze. The nice part about them is that if the passenger does not want one up they can put it down or vica versa. Being able to put them down automatically and tuck them away so you cannot even see them is great too.
Just my .02

blender over
03-26-2007, 09:27 AM
Sorry to Hijack. But anyone know what the # is to (Finies) in Havasu? I was told they were the ones who make the fold down wind screens that you see on Magic's. I want to go that route as they are alot cheaper then the Dana's.
Dont know the # but i have a pair of their windscreens and they work awesome!!:D

jrgaudettes
03-26-2007, 09:54 AM
Dont know the # but i have a pair of their windscreens and they work awesome!!:D
Thanks for the reply. I want to get some and install them this weekend.

phebus
03-26-2007, 10:02 AM
Leo, PM Todd969, he has the number,l as well as the contact info on who to talk to.

jrgaudettes
03-26-2007, 10:18 AM
Thanks Rick, I will send a PM.
Leo

John.
03-26-2007, 12:43 PM
I think boats with canopies look really nice and I think boats without them do too.
I have been in one with canopies(DCB) and it was nice, but personally I did not like the distortion on the sides and I do like some sort of breeze in my face. I also second what Dan said earlier regarding the speed thing too. That was the first time I was in one so I am sure with some more seat time you/I would get used to it. I do not think you can go wrong either way.
I definitely think that having some sort of wind deflector is a must. I never had any on my other boats till this new one and they make a huge difference.
I have the very first set of the new Dana Power Windshields and they are awesome:) I can run at speed with a hat on with them up as well and till get a nice breeze. The nice part about them is that if the passenger does not want one up they can put it down or vica versa. Being able to put them down automatically and tuck them away so you cannot even see them is great too.
Just my .02
Bragger. :) Yours look really awesome and have me envious. Like I said, I'd love to have pop-ups like yours, but don't have a way to install them or redo the interior. Plus, it a chunk of change at $1600 for parts that I don't want to spend right now. too many other expenses. :D

Kilrtoy
03-26-2007, 01:02 PM
First off....No company uses REAL F-16 canopies, LOL. If they did, you could add MUCHO DINERO to the price of the boat. They cost about as much as an F-26 like yours.
IMO even the DCB canopies are horrible. Too many vision problems and the distortion makes it hard to read the water. And I agree with what someboady said above...You kinda lose your sense of speed and get too comfortable running at high speed.
So I guess the 15k or 16 Price someone was qouted for one was incorrect then.
Also I guess the military guy who was explaining the canopies to me in the channel and showing me how he knows they are real must have not known what he was talking about. and to think this guy was a crew chief on F16's for 9 years. Who would have known he was wrong.

Kilrtoy
03-26-2007, 01:11 PM
You know you are a pretty smart guy and I know this so I thought HUMMM, I MAYBE WRONG on this one. So I called SKATER and spoke to the general manager
I asked the following. The canopies on your boats are they the real F16 canopies or something very similiar .
HE SAID THEY ARE THE REAL DEAL! SAME ONES THAT ARE ON F16's!
And to think I thought for one second I was wrong, WHAT WAS I THINKING....

MR HARLEY
03-26-2007, 01:20 PM
IMO even the DCB canopies are horrible. Too many vision problems and the distortion makes it hard to read the water
You have a horrible opinion, I have no distortion what-so-ever in our canopies and I have no vision probs either. I read the water just fine, so whats your deal. ;) :D :)

40FlatDeck
03-26-2007, 01:20 PM
Yes they are real F-16. They are the back half, not the front. I love my canopies and would never go to anything else. Skater is making a full windshield now but I still love the look of the canopies.:D

ClownRoyal
03-26-2007, 01:25 PM
You have a horrible opinion, I have no distortion what-so-ever in our canopies and I have no vision probs either. I read the water just fine, so whats your deal. ;) :D :)
Agree with Harley 100% - no distortion.
Now ... lose sense of speed...:jawdrop: too comfortable :jawdrop: say what?

DCBDaytona
03-26-2007, 01:29 PM
The distortion comes with speed...I think it begins at about 75mph. No wonder you've never noticed it. :D
Sorry Harley, I had to!

Kilrtoy
03-26-2007, 01:33 PM
The distortion comes with speed...I think it begins at about 75mph. No wonder you've never noticed it. :D
Sorry Harley, I had to!
OUCH
THAT REALLY F ***IN HURT....:D

DCBDaytona
03-26-2007, 01:34 PM
You know you are a pretty smart guy and I know this so I thought HUMMM, I MAYBE WRONG on this one. So I called SKATER and spoke to the general manager
I asked the following. The canopies on your boats are they the real F16 canopies or something very similiar .
HE SAID THEY ARE THE REAL DEAL! SAME ONES THAT ARE ON F16's!
And to think I thought for one second I was wrong, WHAT WAS I THINKING....
Damnit...well, being the back half as 40flatdeck has described, seems a little more plausible. I wonder if they are cut downs or scraps...Because the full blown F-16 canopies are just a few $1's more. Something doesn't add up.

MR HARLEY
03-26-2007, 01:36 PM
Sorry Harley, I had to!
How would you know anything about the speed that goes on in my boat? You ever been in my boat?
Pretty soon you and all the other naysayers are gonna be eating your words and looking at the backend of my boat out on the lake including your dads boat son. Count on it. ;)

acatitude
03-26-2007, 01:36 PM
and how many times has that been???:D
bet I don't get an answer

Kilrtoy
03-26-2007, 01:40 PM
Damnit...well, being the back half as 40flatdeck has described, seems a little more plausible. I wonder if they are cut downs or scraps...Because the full blown F-16 canopies are just a few $1's more. Something doesn't add up.
It was explained to me that they are the rejects from the military, which I guess you could call scrap.

DCBDaytona
03-26-2007, 01:42 PM
How would you know anything about the speed that goes on in my boat? You ever been in my boat?
Pretty soon you and all the other naysayers are gonna be eating your words and looking at the backend of my boat out on the lake including your dads boat son. Count on it. ;)
Chill Brotha Man!;)
I think I have an idea about what you're doing...Maybe it's intuition! But I wouldn't go as far as saying I'll be seeing the transom. :D Good luck with your remotoring.

DCBDaytona
03-26-2007, 01:43 PM
It was explained to me that they are the rejects from the military, which I guess you could call scrap.
Got it. That makes complete sense, they are scraps.

MR HARLEY
03-26-2007, 01:45 PM
Chill Brotha Man!;)
I think I have an idea about what you're doing...Maybe it's intuition! But I wouldn't go as far as saying I'll be seeing the transom. :D Good luck with your remotoring.
Your scared to drive yor boat past 40 anyway:eek: . Wait......DO you even come to the lake anymore? Let alone launch your roller and chop challenged vessel. :p

DCBDaytona
03-26-2007, 01:53 PM
Your scared to drive yor boat past 40 anyway:eek: . Wait......DO you even come to the lake anymore? Let alone launch your roller and chop challenged vessel. :p
I knew this was coming.:)
You are correct...I don't drive my "roller and chop challenged vessel" fast nor do I go to the lake anymore. :D

Deano
03-26-2007, 02:09 PM
toilets are alot cheaper in your house then the pentagon...know what I sayin:)

beaverretriever
03-26-2007, 03:30 PM
I like the looks of some canopy boats. Some are just too aero looking for me. I have never been a fast boat with them. I'm sure it is awesome not to get beat to death by the wind. :)
I really like the look of the Revolutions full windshield.
http://www.rpmpowerboats.com/redline.htm

ELIMINAT THIS
03-26-2007, 04:09 PM
I like the looks of some canopy boats. Some are just too aero looking for me. I have never been a fast boat with them. I'm sure it is awesome not to get beat to death by the wind. :)
I second the windshield on the Redline. I really like this boat.

jrgaudettes
03-26-2007, 04:27 PM
Thanks Todd969 for the PM with the info.

2forcefull
03-26-2007, 05:32 PM
so where were you today???? took the force canopy out today,
rough as foc, canopys were great

blown dough
03-26-2007, 05:38 PM
I love my canopies, nice to still have a conversation with the hubby at 100 and my hair doesn't get messed up

2forcefull
03-26-2007, 05:41 PM
:idea:

beaverretriever
03-26-2007, 05:46 PM
I didn't do crap today. I'm not feeling that great. I never get sick, but that is what may be happening.
It didn't look like that nice of a day anyways.
We will have to hook up, so I can get a ride in that thing. Maybe it will get the wife hotter on a new boat.:D

2forcefull
03-26-2007, 05:48 PM
:confused:

2forcefull
03-26-2007, 05:51 PM
I didn't do crap today. I'm not feeling that great. I never get sick, but that is what may be happening.
It didn't look like that nice of a day anyways.
We will have to hook up, so I can get a ride in that thing. Maybe it will get the wife hotter on a new boat.:D
let me know when!

John.
03-26-2007, 06:24 PM
which windscreens are these? are the the electric ones that look to be built into the fiberglass?

Havasu1986
03-26-2007, 06:29 PM
which windscreens are these? are the the electric ones that look to be built into the fiberglass?
They mount on the dash somehow. There is a piece of plexi type glass that you can flip it up when going fast. Kinda like a sun visor in your car. The guy is in Havi. Someone on here posted the install. :)

Chipster27
03-26-2007, 06:40 PM
That would be a lot of scrap wouldn't it? I honestly know nothing about the manufacturing process or business model of the manufacturers, but doesn't it seem like they are losing revenue if they are scrapping that many?
Maybe they use the same mold and similar marterials, but actual canopies seems a little excessive.
Reminds me of the time a car dealer tried to tell me an M3 was a street legal race car:D :) :jawdrop: I about p!ssed my pants laughing.

Kilrtoy
03-26-2007, 06:46 PM
That would be a lot of scrap wouldn't it? I honestly know nothing about the manufacturing process or business model of the manufacturers, but doesn't it seem like they are losing revenue if they are scrapping that many?
Maybe they use the same mold and similar marterials, but actual canopies seems a little excessive.
Reminds me of the time a car dealer tried to tell me an M3 was a street legal race car:D :) :jawdrop: I about p!ssed my pants laughing.
I have no clue, But as in any manufacturing process I know errors are made.
Also the military changed out their canopies or something like that from yellow to blue tint.
WHERE THE HELL IS GHT WHEN YOU NEED HIM...

jrgaudettes
03-26-2007, 07:11 PM
I love my canopies, nice to still have a conversation with the hubby at 100 and my hair doesn't get messed up
BD, Thats why I need them. I cant have a conversation while driving with out screaming. LOL
BTW- Im not even close to 100mph, LOL Must be nice.:D
UJ, The web site is www.finneys.com. They make the Wind Deflectors for Magic and Howrd I believe. Also they will mount to the top and fold down when not needed for about 1300-1500 less then the Dana's.

That Guy
03-27-2007, 02:20 PM
UJ, The web site is www.finneys.com. They make the Wind Deflectors for Magic and Howrd I believe. Also they will mount to the top and fold down when not needed for about 1300-1500 less then the Dana's.
They also install them on Advantage and they work fairly well. You just have to keep them tightened down.

Three Days Only
03-27-2007, 03:15 PM
There off decommisoned jets and quality control kick backs. There 100% real. There hard to maintain because they scratch very easily, they are made of a thick polycarbonate aprrox 3/4". Salt build up from running in the ocean and then just wiping off the canopy with a towel will scratch them. They can cost up to 16K ea depending on the color of the radar deflection, some are more yellow then others, some are crystal clear. The clear canopies are generally the most expensive and hardest to get. They were on my Spectre and on all most all Skaters. Alot of them are supplied by a company called DRMO. Most of DRMO's canopies end up on boats.
Jeff

Kilrtoy
03-27-2007, 04:43 PM
There off decommisoned jets and quality control kick backs. There 100% real. There hard to maintain because they scratch very easily, they are made of a thick polycarbonate aprrox 3/4". Salt build up from running in the ocean and then just wiping off the canopy with a towel will scratch them. They can cost up to 16K ea depending on the color of the radar deflection, some are more yellow then others, some are crystal clear. The clear canopies are generally the most expensive and hardest to get. They were on my Spectre and on all most all Skaters. Alot of them are supplied by a company called DRMO. Most of DRMO's canopies end up on boats.
Jeff
Thank you Jeff....

DMOORE
03-27-2007, 07:51 PM
DRMO isn't a company. It is a part of the military ,where old vehicles and parts are sold off to the public.
Darrell.

Chipster27
03-27-2007, 09:09 PM
Jeff, thanks for the 411. Pretty crazy stuff!

PGF500
03-28-2007, 06:16 AM
On our Drag boat capsules we use real f-16 canopies. Or from what I'm told they are real, also the price backs it up too. They are basicly "blems" from the military (Northrop/Grumman or Lockheed/Martin) that have a small imperfection in the build process that doesn't pass QC. For our safety capsules I wouldn't use anything else for the simple fact the clarity is perfect unlike the polycarbonate which seem to always have blurry spots right in the line of vision.

Dave C
03-28-2007, 10:34 AM
I have canopies.
I don't like them cuz I want the wind blowing in my face. Also you don't get the same feeling of speed with them vs. without.
My wife loves em because she doesn't like all those things and it doesn't mess up her hair ;) :D
I think its a matter of preference. If the wind blowing in your face all day is going to bother you then get the canopies.

2forcefull
03-28-2007, 11:03 AM
I have them and want to sell the boat because of them and ordered a new one with out them, But, after being out in the cold, and spending 20 hours driv'n the boat they aren't so bad, in fact I'm getting to like them!!!
one thing I learned was keep them clean, I use plexus cleaner and micro fiber cloths only, the plexus makes them disapear.
also getting out of the wind is cool, once you are going 90 plus you know you are going fast, just your eyes aren't watering from the wind

acatitude
03-28-2007, 11:58 AM
ive ridden in a couple boats with canopies and really liked them. I wasnt drivin however. just wondered how it is when you take a lot of water over the bow and then try and see thru them or does the water just slide off quickly??

Sigus
03-28-2007, 12:41 PM
I like being BLOWN :D

seanv
03-28-2007, 01:31 PM
i have been in both boats. all the ones i've owned have not had canopies. i can honestly say i prefer to run 110+ with them for 2 reasons. 1- impact from bugs or anything else. and 2- wind at those speeds and greater can really do a number on skin,eye's and ears. i know i sound all old n stuff i guess im getting a lil more saftey concious in my 30's:D ok late 30's:eek:

2forcefull
03-28-2007, 01:33 PM
ive ridden in a couple boats with canopies and really liked them. I wasnt drivin however. just wondered how it is when you take a lot of water over the bow and then try and see thru them or does the water just slide off quickly??
when I was out yesterday, big ass water, dipped a sponson and splashed water on the deck pretty good, soon as I pinned the throttle they cleared up
another time I liked the canopies cause I ducked under it and didn't get wet
It was cold as foc out yesterday

unleashed
03-28-2007, 02:35 PM
Im not a big canopy fan. I like the wind in my face at 120..what a rush! Now if my boat were a little faster than maybe!:D
Deano
UnleashedHardcoreApparel (http://www.unleashedclothing.com)

Turbojack
03-28-2007, 06:48 PM
Wife like to stay out of wind. Most times I sit on a throw cushion. Gets my line of sight just above the canopy but not high enough to get blasted with the wind. If I was to buy another boat now would still get them.

2forcefull
03-29-2007, 04:34 AM
Wife like to stay out of wind. Most times I sit on a throw cushion. Gets my line of sight just above the canopy but not high enough to get blasted with the wind. If I was to buy another boat now would still get them.
Hey, thats what I been doing!, When I set on the cushion I see fine

seanv
03-29-2007, 02:34 PM
i have the flaps now and they work great up to 100. after that they fold down and to be honest, im worried they would break off and smack me

Boatlesss
03-29-2007, 05:21 PM
They are basically the best alternative out there.
The wind will wear anyone down, even at 70-80 much less 100+
Some are better than others. Some are the real deal and some are aftermarket. Some of each are good and some of each are bad for clarity.
Just depends upon whom the boat manufacturer decides to do business with.

gearcase
04-04-2007, 09:30 PM
i like them.

Chipster27
06-01-2007, 08:51 AM
So I guess the 15k or 16 Price someone was qouted for one was incorrect then.
Also I guess the military guy who was explaining the canopies to me in the channel and showing me how he knows they are real must have not known what he was talking about. and to think this guy was a crew chief on F16's for 9 years. Who would have known he was wrong.
Kilr,
I checked my canopies and they are made by a company called acrylifab.com (http://www.acrylifab.com/windscreen.html). I took their website right off my canopies.
Also, $15k :jawdrop: for a replacement??? DirtRacer cracked his and was quoted $2700 for a replacement. Here's the link. (http://www.***boat.com/forums/showthread.php?t=150938&highlight=f26), second post.
DCBs are good stuff, but someone is blowing a little smoke...:D

Boatlesss
06-01-2007, 02:03 PM
Kilr,
I checked my canopies and they are made by a company called acrylifab.com (http://www.acrylifab.com/windscreen.html). I took their website right off my canopies.
Also, $15k :jawdrop: for a replacement??? DirtRacer cracked his and was quoted $2700 for a replacement. Here's the link. (http://www.***boat.com/forums/showthread.php?t=150938&highlight=f26), second post.
So 5400 for a set. Is that the aircraft grade they say they offer?

Troy McClure
06-01-2007, 05:44 PM
I've got a 27' Daytona with the "bass boat" type canopy. Can't stand looking through them due to distortion so I had some booster seats made that help me look over the top when driving.
The best distortion free canopy I've looked through was the DCB at the LA show two years ago. I was impressed, no distortion at all looking forward, and (if I remember) only slight distortion at the sharpest bend on the canopy.
I've also read that you can increase (or decrease?) distortion when polishing the canopy so be careful.

Kilrtoy
06-04-2007, 03:48 PM
Kilr,
I think you misread or misunderstood what i was saying
SPECTRE AND SKATER's use real F-16 canopies
DCB use the $2,500
Dont believe me, call Skater and ask for yourself...

TOBTEK
06-04-2007, 07:05 PM
anyone know how much better the mill-spec upgrade is? pretty large $$ bump om the price list.

Chipster27
06-04-2007, 07:34 PM
I think you misread or misunderstood what i was saying
SPECTRE AND SKATER's use real F-16 canopies
DCB use the $2,500
Dont believe me, call Skater and ask for yourself...
Hey Kilr,
I believe a Skater or Spectre uses F16 canopies, but not a DCB. You're right, I misunderstood what you were saying. Not going to bother calling either company to validate it ;) . All I know is the DCB canopies are from Acrylifab.

TOBTEK
06-04-2007, 10:15 PM
Hey Kilr,
I believe a Skater or Spectre uses F16 canopies, but not a DCB. You're right, I misunderstood what you were saying. Not going to bother calling either company to validate it ;) . All I know is the DCB canopies are from Acrylifab.
cheap ass DCB's...:D BTW, ya see what a wrap around wind screen on a new skater costs?...... $ 38K and change. Damn Gina!

dicudmore
06-04-2007, 10:27 PM
cheap ass DCB's...:D BTW, ya see what a wrap around wind screen on a new skater costs?...... $ 38K and change. Damn Gina!
I have no idea what a wind-screen costs on a Skater--can hardly afford the Spectre I already have and therefore don't spend much time pricing Skaters--apparently unlike certain BALLER tire kickers :D :D
Why don't you stop kicking tires and building pimp stereos, get roln to sell some more hot sauce, and call Conrad on a new 32' Spectre--Andy can go check on the build daily :D Since it will be built with the next owner in mind, I'd like something along the lines of my current Spectre paint scheme--THANK YOU :D

TOBTEK
06-05-2007, 06:12 AM
I have no idea what a wind-screen costs on a Skater--can hardly afford the Spectre I already have and therefore don't spend much time pricing Skaters--apparently unlike certain BALLER tire kickers :D :D
Why don't you stop kicking tires and building pimp stereos, get roln to sell some more hot sauce, and call Conrad on a new 32' Spectre--Andy can go check on the build daily :D Since it will be built with the next owner in mind, I'd like something along the lines of my current Spectre paint scheme--THANK YOU :D
1. Im FAR from baller statis..... im a average Joe like most of us.
2. The price on that piece was in extreme or powerboat a few months back ( a tire kicker would have called Peter, im just a dreamer.....big difference)
3. You will NEVER see me owning a specturd.... id rather have pubic hair waxed off by 300 Rosie odonnell, in front of everyone in the channel on Sat afternoon........
http://www.bubbygram.com/performers/rosieodonnell.jpg
" way to go on that last purchase Dan "

ULTRA26 # 1
06-05-2007, 06:55 AM
Leo,
I had flaps from Finney Plastics, in Havasu, on my last 3 boats. They work great. I would have used them again, but my 26 only clears the opening in my garage by about 2 inches, so I had to go with the Dana power flaps.
The 26's are windy boats no matter what you do to them.
John

dicudmore
06-05-2007, 03:25 PM
1. Im FAR from baller statis..... im a average Joe like most of us.
2. The price on that piece was in extreme or powerboat a few months back ( a tire kicker would have called Peter, im just a dreamer.....big difference)
3. You will NEVER see me owning a specturd.... id rather have pubic hair waxed off by 300 Rosie odonnell, in front of everyone in the channel on Sat afternoon........
http://www.bubbygram.com/performers/rosieodonnell.jpg
" way to go on that last purchase Dan "
ok the magazine thing cleared it up for me...thank you :D
The Rosie thing--trust me when I say--NONE of us need to see that--EVER :D
As for MY boat--well you can pick on that all you want--everybody else does :cry:

TOBTEK
06-05-2007, 06:20 PM
ok the magazine thing cleared it up for me...thank you :D
The Rosie thing--trust me when I say--NONE of us need to see that--EVER :D
As for MY boat--well you can pick on that all you want--everybody else does :cry:
dude im not picking on your ride. Come on, its still way faster than Killer's haywagon:D :D

MR HARLEY
06-05-2007, 08:15 PM
dude im not picking on your ride. Come on, its still way faster than Killer's haywagon:D :D
DAM.............................:D

TOBTEK
06-05-2007, 08:28 PM
DAM.............................:D
dont get me started on your 60mph sled:D was cool to meet your fam this weekend. its great you all hang with each other with your boating hobby. BTW: pops said he is suprising you with a new 368 for your birthday:D

Kilrtoy
06-05-2007, 10:11 PM
Feeling frisky after the Jaquzzi I see:D :D

DCBDaytona
06-06-2007, 05:54 AM
In my best "Kilr voice"....I heard that SLAP all the way over here.:D
Nice seeing all you homos last weekend.

Plasticmann
08-09-2007, 08:04 PM
Hi my name is Curt. I own Acrylifab Plastics Inc. I see that you all have had a bit of a discussion about Canopies So let me tell you what I know. My background is 13 years making acrylic boat windshields six days a week for most of that time. If it is acrylic I can make it. What is comes down to is time and money. Because the hot boat market is so custom every part has to be made by hand, you might have a mold and a pattern, or you might not, or the last one you made three years ago and you have to remember the how’s and whys for each and every part. So what eh...sounds like a job righ? It is and I am not complaining what I am saying is if you want a quality part you have to hire an expert to make it and if you don't there is always the other guy.
Now about Canopies. To make things simple there are three types of canopies mine, the other guys, and the “real” Polycarbonate ones. Let’s start with the ones that everyone seems to know so much about the REAL “f-16 Canopies”. Of these canopies there are several shapes and thicknesses. Just ask Brent Leach if he didn't find this out the hard way on his race boat when I had to spend four hours grinding the inside of his race Canopy so it would fit on his capsule. You can tell the real thing because it has laminated layers and you can clearly see this by looking at the edge. Acrylic, Urethane, Polycarbonate, and a coating (sometimes). It can still be polycarbonate and not be the real thing in that case it's just a hard coated polycarbonate. Now some guys will swear that what they are buying is new quality polycarbonate canopies. From my research what they are getting are rejects that don't meet the mil spec standards for any number of reasons some of these are not bad (good enough to use on a boat). Even so all that I have seen are clearly used and in fact getting two canopies of the same quality was a huge problem for these guys and that's why some chose to go with acrylic. By the way canopy blanks are egg shaped and no they don't use the back. Now let's say I am wrong and some builders really are getting new quality canopies. That is what they tell folks. Fine that's great but lets talk about why not polycarbonate in the first place.
Polycarbonate is impact resistant. Fighter jet canopies must be able to withstand the frozen chicken test at 1000 miles per hour. Your boat windshield does not. Polycarbonate will break and in fact the manufacturers of polycarbonate don't want you to drill holes in it because that can cause it to crack at the hole. The recommended method of installation is to sandwich the polycarbonate between two objects. Polycarbonate is also quite heavy and if you put a scratch in it forget it. Polycarbonate does not withstand the sun very well. After a couple of years, at most, your very expensive, heavy, bullet proof parts will start to yellowing eventually to the point where they will just haze over. For those of you in Rio Linda that means they are now trash.
Polycarbonate is also very sensitive to chemicals and if you put the wrong stuff on it again, you have junk. I have also seen the coating on the polycarbonate delaminate...does it in pieces. Looks real nice can’t be fixed. Now back to the impact...feel safe...wrong. Couple year’s back I recall cutting a set of Quarter Canopies the "real thing" to put on a 36 Somethingerator boat. After the driver rolled the boat the canopies were gone...bottom of the ocean. No I didn't install them. The only time a polycarbonate w/s is going to protect you is if you are fully encapsulated and strapped in. A quarter canopy format is for the cosmetics and the wind. Think about it how could it possibly protect you.
Now a little about mine and the other guys. To date I have seen the good the bad and the ugly. Ugly and bad were made by the guy who thought I was charging too much and that making canopies was easy and its also where I started. Good and Awesome are what I have learned to make and I challenge anyone to go and sit in a Cobra and go sit in a DCB and then go sit in a Somethingerator and some of the other guys boats who think that obvious distortion doesn't matter. . I can point to numerous Powerboat articles where my canopies received comment for their distortion free clarity. Oh I almost forgot. Why acrylic? Better optics, strong enough, most scratches can be removed, lower cost, much lighter weight by half, and up to 10 year life if properly cared for.
Now for a little about price. I am always amazed at what folks pay for things. four thousand dollar stereos, six thousand dollar upholstery jobs, fifty thousand dollar trucks, ten thousand dollar paint jobs, five thousand dollar truck lifts, Hundred and eighty thousand dollar boats, two thousand dollar couches, two thousand dollar tv's, three thousand dollar dogs, one thousand dollar hand bags, ten thousand dollar watches.
My point is... folks afford what they want if they really want to and if they can afford to and sometimes they still get it even if they cannot afford it.
I am not going to lay out my financial statement for you all but I know that I am not over charging for my canopies they are good parts, they fit perfectly, I deliver them on time, and they are far better than the next guys. So I apologize to the two guys who think that the parts for their high quality Ferrari are not affordable, they are right and neither is the car. There is a very good reason for it. They are a lot of hard work to make and to make well and the volume is low. If you think you can do better for less then bring a big check and I'll sell you the business....you can have the keys as long as your check clears.
Best wishes to all.
Curt

dicudmore
08-09-2007, 08:15 PM
Hi my name is Curt. I own Acrylifab Plastics Inc. I see that you all have had a bit of a discussion about Canopies So let me tell you what I know. My background is 13 years making acrylic boat windshields six days a week for most of that time. If it is acrylic I can make it. What is comes down to is time and money. Because the hot boat market is so custom every part has to be made by hand, you might have a mold and a pattern, or you might not, or the last one you made three years ago and you have to remember the how’s and whys for each and every part. So what eh...sounds like a job righ? It is and I am not complaining what I am saying is if you want a quality part you have to hire an expert to make it and if you don't there is always the other guy.
Now about Canopies. To make things simple there are three types of canopies mine, the other guys, and the “real” Polycarbonate ones. Let’s start with the ones that everyone seems to know so much about the REAL “f-16 Canopies”. Of these canopies there are several shapes and thicknesses. Just ask Brent Leach if he didn't find this out the hard way on his race boat when I had to spend four hours grinding the inside of his race Canopy so it would fit on his capsule. You can tell the real thing because it has laminated layers and you can clearly see this by looking at the edge. Acrylic, Urethane, Polycarbonate, and a coating (sometimes). It can still be polycarbonate and not be the real thing in that case it's just a hard coated polycarbonate. Now some guys will swear that what they are buying is new quality polycarbonate canopies. From my research what they are getting are rejects that don't meet the mil spec standards for any number of reasons some of these are not bad (good enough to use on a boat). Even so all that I have seen are clearly used and in fact getting two canopies of the same quality was a huge problem for these guys and that's why some chose to go with acrylic. By the way canopy blanks are egg shaped and no they don't use the back. Now let's say I am wrong and some builders really are getting new quality canopies. That is what they tell folks. Fine that's great but lets talk about why not polycarbonate in the first place.
Polycarbonate is impact resistant. Fighter jet canopies must be able to withstand the frozen chicken test at 1000 miles per hour. Your boat windshield does not. Polycarbonate will break and in fact the manufacturers of polycarbonate don't want you to drill holes in it because that can cause it to crack at the hole. The recommended method of installation is to sandwich the polycarbonate between two objects. Polycarbonate is also quite heavy and if you put a scratch in it forget it. Polycarbonate does not withstand the sun very well. After a couple of years, at most, your very expensive, heavy, bullet proof parts will start to yellowing eventually to the point where they will just haze over. For those of you in Rio Linda that means they are now trash.
Polycarbonate is also very sensitive to chemicals and if you put the wrong stuff on it again, you have junk. I have also seen the coating on the polycarbonate delaminate...does it in pieces. Looks real nice can’t be fixed. Now back to the impact...feel safe...wrong. Couple year’s back I recall cutting a set of Quarter Canopies the "real thing" to put on a 36 Somethingerator boat. After the driver rolled the boat the canopies were gone...bottom of the ocean. No I didn't install them. The only time a polycarbonate w/s is going to protect you is if you are fully encapsulated and strapped in. A quarter canopy format is for the cosmetics and the wind. Think about it how could it possibly protect you.
Now a little about mine and the other guys. To date I have seen the good the bad and the ugly. Ugly and bad were made by the guy who thought I was charging too much and that making canopies was easy and its also where I started. Good and Awesome are what I have learned to make and I challenge anyone to go and sit in a Cobra and go sit in a DCB and then go sit in a Somethingerator and some of the other guys boats who think that obvious distortion doesn't matter. . I can point to numerous Powerboat articles where my canopies received comment for their distortion free clarity. Oh I almost forgot. Why acrylic? Better optics, strong enough, most scratches can be removed, lower cost, much lighter weight by half, and up to 10 year life if properly cared for.
Now for a little about price. I am always amazed at what folks pay for things. four thousand dollar stereos, six thousand dollar upholstery jobs, fifty thousand dollar trucks, ten thousand dollar paint jobs, five thousand dollar truck lifts, Hundred and eighty thousand dollar boats, two thousand dollar couches, two thousand dollar tv's, three thousand dollar dogs, one thousand dollar hand bags, ten thousand dollar watches.
My point is... folks afford what they want if they really want to and if they can afford to and sometimes they still get it even if they cannot afford it.
I am not going to lay out my financial statement for you all but I know that I am not over charging for my canopies they are good parts, they fit perfectly, I deliver them on time, and they are far better than the next guys. So I apologize to the two guys who think that the parts for their high quality Ferrari are not affordable, they are right and neither is the car. There is a very good reason for it. They are a lot of hard work to make and to make well and the volume is low. If you think you can do better for less then bring a big check and I'll sell you the business....you can have the keys as long as your check clears.
Best wishes to all.
Curt
nice insightful post Curt, welcome to the boards :D

MR HARLEY
08-09-2007, 08:20 PM
Best wishes to all.
Curt
Welcome aboard!
I love my canopies on my DCB, great product you build. :)

Chipster27
08-09-2007, 09:40 PM
Hi Curt,
I started this thread and ended up buying a DCB with your canopies. I absolutly love them.
You and I spoke a couple weeks back, I had asked what to clean them with. I ended up buying 3 different Maguires plastic products, a cleaner,a polish and a plastic detailer. I used all three and the canopies look great. I've also used Plexus and the Hot Sauce from Boat Bling.
What advise can you give on proper care for the canopies?
Thanks!
Chip

Dave C
08-10-2007, 07:27 AM
Greetings Curt,
Good question here...... so what is it deal with cleaning?...:D
I have been using Meguiars.
Hi Curt,
I started this thread and ended up buying a DCB with your canopies. I absolutly love them.
You and I spoke a couple weeks back, I had asked what to clean them with. I ended up buying 3 different Maguires plastic products, a cleaner,a polish and a plastic detailer. I used all three and the canopies look great. I've also used Plexus and the Hot Sauce from Boat Bling.
What advise can you give on proper care for the canopies?
Thanks!
Chip

riverracerx
08-10-2007, 08:24 AM
Curt,
Curious as my dad used to have a Blown Alcohol Hydro. The canopy on that was clearly layered, you could see the plastic sheets from the sides. It also had some sort of iridium looking coating on it that you could only see in the sunlight. Kinda a purplish color. As far as I know it was a true F16 blem and was VERY expensive. But it was drilled and screwed to the hatch of the capsule. Luckily it never was used for it's intended purpose, but I saw several very close friends use the capsule and unfortunately NOT make it out. Denver, Capaldi... :( Not the canopy's fault. It was the first few years of the capsule boats so alot was learned in those days.
Are they still using real F16 blems or have they moved to acrylic?

Boatlesss
08-10-2007, 11:33 AM
Looks like someone is venting about something that I cannot follow.
Kurt, why are you angry with Eliminator (sorry Somethingerator) Bob Leach is a really nice guy so I don't understand the anger directed towards them.
How do you make a canopy?

iRepo
08-10-2007, 12:32 PM
I have them on an Eliminator Daytona. Distortion is pretty bad. If plasticmann can make replacements I would be interested.

Kilrtoy
08-10-2007, 02:05 PM
I have them on an Eliminator Daytona. Distortion is pretty bad. If plasticmann can make replacements I would be interested.
Not sure it can be done, Think your stuck with the headache

Plasticmann
08-10-2007, 03:49 PM
To clean acrylic. There are plenty of good plastic cleaners out there. If in doubt look to the aircraft industry for solutions (aircraft spruce). I use a plain carnuba liquid wax the cheap stuff in the tall yellow bottle. I also use a super soft cotton towel and some water works just fine some guys use chamois but I don't. Other stuff is just too fancy for me. I sometimes use novus heavy scratch remover and some TR-3 resin glaze (which by the way is the best cleaner wax I have ever used) for medium duty work and water spots.
Thats cleaning. Taking out haze and scratches is a bit of an art form just like buffing a car out. Takes some practice you try a lot of stuff till you find something you like. I have a multi stepped rather complicated process which is a trade secret. That being said buffing out acrylic is like dealing with car paint except it is softer and doesn't like much heat. You might want to practice on a piece of scrap first. If in doubt don't use anything to clean your windscreen that does not say its a plastic cleaner. Especially don't use windex.
Some rules of thumb on a canopy boat. Minor scratches on the outside are pretty easy to fix. If you can feel it with your fingernail consider it a serious scratch and plan on spending sometime with it. At our shop a small scratch can add 45 min or more to a job. If you put a scratch on the inside in your viewing area you are better off leaving it alone because your optics come from the inside of the canopy. [/NO AMOUNT of sanding on the inside of your part will improve your optics for the rest of you. So for my customer's customers don't store stuff on your dash and for everybody else that's where the beer cans go=).
Some other Acrylic FYI relates to storing your boat. Acrylic is not compatible with vinyl. So don't sew vinyl upholstery to your boat cover to protect the w/s. Also remember if it gets too hot under your boat cover you could be destroying your w/s.
A word about those thousands of little cracks. This is also known as crazing. If you have this it is ultimately terminal. Crazing is the drying out of the plastics surface and subsequent micro cracking you can see it cause it reflects the sunlight. What are some causes. Old age, using the wrong cleaner, improper storage, vinyl or other incompatible plastics.
Hope that helps some
Curt

Chipster27
08-10-2007, 04:06 PM
To clean acrylic. ......
Hope that helps some
Curt
Curt, great info! Thanks for spending the time to put this together. I've only had my boat 5 months and I've already had 2 people ask me how I clean the canopies.
It's obvious you have a passion about your product, like I said, I love mine, crystal clear with no distortion!

Plasticmann
08-10-2007, 04:13 PM
Finally couple more items.
Polycarbonate is for impact and Acrylic is for recreation.
Currently the best cure for distorted canopies is either a DCB or a Cobra.
Finally and Most important.
I think Bob Leach is a really nice likable guy, a very shrewd businessman, and most importantly one of the most incredible innovators ever in the business. His new coupe is the bomb, absolutely cool, and as usual sets the bar for everyone else.....So whats up with the distortion?
Thats all for me.
Take care everyone
If you have specific questions please call 951.784.0883 and leave a message I'm working in the back=).

Boatlesss
08-12-2007, 01:20 PM
Then why not go over to Eliminator and solve their problems?
I would assume that if DCB can get the best then why not Eliminator?