PDA

View Full Version : Work on Seawall abandoned???????

Not So Fast
03-26-2007, 04:24 PM
Went out today for the first time this year and made a pit stop by the restrooms in the channel. Much to my surprise there was not a worker in sight on the seawall so I walked over to see what was happening. Having done underdround pipe work for most of my life I could see tha problem right off, the trench for the footing was full of water, DUH!! An old timer told me that was why they werent working?? Now I know all the city supporters on here will call me out on this but if you were going to be digging a ditch alongside a body of water what would you think would happen?? We have dug trenches on the Coronado Strand 15 feet deep for sewerlines and you know what, if you de-water first the ditch is dry (almost) and that was the OCEAN!!!!!. Apparently the contractor failed to address this problem so I'm wondering what this little setback will do to the so called schedule of completion. For your info usually the wells for dewatering are in place for about 30 days prior to digging, not always but most of the time. Once again a fine, oh forget it, whats the use!!!! :( NSF

shueman
03-26-2007, 04:29 PM
They might be off for Cesar's B'Day...:)

jammin
03-26-2007, 04:42 PM
They aren't there because they are trying to figure out how much there going to charge the city for this problem.

2Driver
03-26-2007, 04:52 PM
If it made sense then it wouldn't be the river now would it? :D :D

Havasu Carrera
03-26-2007, 05:23 PM
They aren't there because they are trying to figure out how much there going to charge the city for this problem.
I would bet the same guy that built (or tried to) build my house in havasu. Tried to build that wall!! And yep! thats how they do things. Charge you mess up fail and try to charge you again. Welcome to Havasu. A stand up guy could make MILLIONS!!

Not So Fast
03-26-2007, 05:34 PM
They might be off for Cesar's B'Day...:)
Good point, the name of the contractor is Valdez Const. Why didnt i think of that, damn. NSF

riverroyal
03-26-2007, 06:48 PM
wheres the post from week or so ago when this topic 1st came up???Everyone was guessing on the finish date,Mine was months later than the rest,my reason was I bet they missed the dewatering in the bid...Im a fricken jeanous:D

Kilrtoy
03-26-2007, 06:50 PM
Shocking another thing from the LHC government goes wrong:rolleyes:

riverroyal
03-26-2007, 06:51 PM
no way it will be done before that.Wonder how deep the footing is,my guess is they missed de-watering,change orders,delay,its havasu remember
found it

riverroyal
03-26-2007, 06:52 PM
but my bid would be high to cover all the cost,so I wouldnt have got it anyways:)

2Driver
03-26-2007, 07:02 PM
Most of us learned this around the age of 3 when our parents pluncked us down 3 feet from the waters edge with a plastic shovel and bucket. " Dad, the water keeps filling up my hole" :D :D

GHT
03-26-2007, 07:02 PM
I posted this, "They are installing a "Sea Wall" with ties. You will be allowed to have one boat per tie.
These F'ing brain surgeons started about two (2) weeks ago and the trench is lower than the water level..." in another thread. This has got to be the biggest "Oversight" by any construction company I have seen in a long time. I mean, my kids even know that if they dig a hole next to the lake and it is deeper that the water level of the body of water the hole will fill with water.
So far Havasu is 0 for 2. The first failure is the "City Sewer" installation and how they are "going in the hole" because it is much more expensive than they thought it was. And now, the Sea / Lake wall Gaggle F...
What a bunch of "SHORT SIGHTED" losers.... At least they have a good police department.:D

riverroyal
03-26-2007, 07:35 PM
before we blame him,his contract may EXCLUDE de-watering,and put it back on the city or get a fat change order..Or the city KNEW he missed it,and took the low bid to try and save money.Either way,its not rocket science,there no way it was just "missed" by the city and contractor together.What would Johnny Cochran do?

CornWater
03-26-2007, 07:37 PM
...Im a fricken jeanous:D
LMFAO... that is some funny shit. That might be sig worthy right there...
:D :D

riverroyal
03-26-2007, 08:04 PM
ha

OutCole'd
03-26-2007, 08:07 PM
LMFAO... that is some funny shit. That might be sig worthy right there...
:D :D
Classic! A regular Einstyne......:D

Deano
03-26-2007, 08:30 PM
but my bid would be high to cover all the cost,so I wouldnt have got it anyways:)
That's so true. Probably 80% of all jobs are awarded due to errors. When we get a job, we always say "oh shit, what did we miss".:D
Digging a hole next to a body of water...who woulda thought it would fill up with water..lol.

Havasu1986
03-26-2007, 09:21 PM
Don't you think this problem happened when they built the wall on the east side.:confused:

Magic34
03-26-2007, 09:25 PM
Classic! A regular Einstyne......:D
LMAO!!!!! "Jeanous"
Sounds like the next big thing in fashion.

Magic34
03-26-2007, 09:28 PM
That's so true. Probably 80% of all jobs are awarded due to errors. When we get a job, we always say "oh shit, what did we miss".:D
Digging a hole next to a body of water...who woulda thought it would fill up with water..lol.
I usually build a wall in front of the sand castle to protect it from waves. Then I put a draw bridge in like a real castle. It always looks like I am going to battle with the water, but my wall always prevails. I do such a good job packing it down with my plastic shovel and then I get the exterior wall moist and pack it down even better. I then put another dry layer on top to soak up the extra moisture and make the wall even stronger.
Maybe I can bring my bucket and plastic shovel and build my famous castle wall to keep the water out. I know I can do it!!!!!!
Think I am qualified?

XTRM22
03-26-2007, 09:29 PM
Ya know folks while I'm not one to defend someone I don't know, I'm also not one to assume that evryone who appears to do something dumb is just that. Down at the condo end of that trench there is an 8" line trash pump sitting there, (more then capabale of dewatering a trench of this size). I'd say the contractor knows what he's doing based on this and the other equipment on the job. I'm not saying it'll get done or be right but everybody on here seems to make a lot of assumtions based on what you can see happening from your boats and maybe the bottom of a can of coorslight. Remeber there's always more then one way to skin a cat.
Chuck

Magic34
03-26-2007, 09:30 PM
Didn't Fergie make a song like that?
J....E.....A.....N....O....U......S..... Cause I'm JEANOUS......

76ANTHONY
03-26-2007, 09:33 PM
heyyyyy, maybe its for jetboat parking huh?:D :D :D

hoolign
03-26-2007, 09:37 PM
Ya know folks while I'm not one to defend someone I don't know, I'm also not one to assume that evryone who appears to do something dumb is just that. Down at the condo end of that trench there is an 8" line trash pump sitting there, (more then capabale of dewatering a trench of this size). I'd say the contractor knows what he's doing based on this and the other equipment on the job. I'm not saying it'll get done or be right but everybody on here seems to make a lot of assumtions based on what you can see happening from your boats and maybe the bottom of a can of coorslight. Remeber there's always more then one way to skin a cat.
Chuck
Was it running? :confused:

XTRM22
03-26-2007, 09:45 PM
Was it running? :confused:
Nope but neither was any of the other equipment at the time. I'm not saying it's gonna get done or make any predictions either way, but any GC who bids work on a seawall is probably going to consider dewatering procedures. Not considering it would be like a framing contractor not bidding nails. It's possible but a lot less probable then people think.
Chuck

shadow
03-27-2007, 05:53 AM
Chuck
I'm with you Chuck!
My guesss is they probablly know what the hell they are doing.
May not be up to par with the ***boat inspectors,but they probablly know thier job.;)

OutCole'd
03-27-2007, 05:57 AM
Didn't Fergie make a song like that?
J....E.....A.....N....O....U......S..... Cause I'm JEANOUS......
LMAO.....

Focker
03-27-2007, 05:58 AM
Went out today for the first time this year and made a pit stop by the restrooms in the channel. Much to my surprise there was not a worker in sight on the seawall so I walked over to see what was happening. Having done underdround pipe work for most of my life I could see tha problem right off, the trench for the footing was full of water, DUH!! An old timer told me that was why they werent working?? Now I know all the city supporters on here will call me out on this but if you were going to be digging a ditch alongside a body of water what would you think would happen?? We have dug trenches on the Coronado Strand 15 feet deep for sewerlines and you know what, if you de-water first the ditch is dry (almost) and that was the OCEAN!!!!!. Apparently the contractor failed to address this problem so I'm wondering what this little setback will do to the so called schedule of completion. For your info usually the wells for dewatering are in place for about 30 days prior to digging, not always but most of the time. Once again a fine, oh forget it, whats the use!!!! :( NSF
those must be san diego contractors they brought in :)

Throttle
03-27-2007, 06:03 AM
Last week when I was down there, they had pumps that were getting water out while they were working...

shadow
03-27-2007, 06:05 AM
Last week when I was down there, they had pumps that were getting water out while they were working...
Are you really ever here?
Nice to see you Sat.:)

Throttle
03-27-2007, 06:23 AM
Are you really ever here?
Nice to see you Sat.:)
even when I am here, I'm not really... good to see you guys too!

Not So Fast
03-27-2007, 06:44 AM
Nope but neither was any of the other equipment at the time. I'm not saying it's gonna get done or make any predictions either way, but any GC who bids work on a seawall is probably going to consider dewatering procedures. Not considering it would be like a framing contractor not bidding nails. It's possible but a lot less probable then people think.
Chuck
Not true my friend, I cant tell you how many times we started jobs that had no dewatering clause in it or a rock clause. Been there on both!! Case in point, a sewer job in Temecula way back when it was just starting required a common trench down the center of the road to be blasted because of rock (I hated digging because of the nitro fumes) for the utilities. About a year later we got the bid for a water trunk line that had a portion (about 500ft) that bordered said road :confused: When I asked about the rock I was told to just dig it, 7-8 feet deep in blue granite, right, tore up the excavator and me. So no, some times the bidder misses the obvious.
I'm not saying about this contractor because I dont know but it sure looked like they did because the ditch was full of water and which probably destroys the footing compaction requirements. Just a guess:rolleyes: NSF

blender over
03-27-2007, 06:50 AM
It all comes back to the Contractor with the lowest bid gets the job:rolleyes:
You get what you pay for!!!!

Todd969
03-27-2007, 06:50 AM
Not true my friend, I cant tell you how many times we started jobs that had no dewatering clause in it or a rock clause. Been there on both!! Case in point, a sewer job in Temecula way back when it was just starting required a common trench down the center of the road to be blasted because of rock (I hated digging because of the nitro fumes) for the utilities. About a year later we got the bid for a water trunk line that had a portion (about 500ft) that bordered said road :confused: When I asked about the rock I was told to just dig it, 7-8 feet deep in blue granite, right, tore up the excavator and me. So no, some times the bidder misses the obvious.
I'm not saying about this contractor because I dont know but it sure looked like they did because the ditch was full of water and which probably destroys the footing compaction requirements. Just a guess:rolleyes: NSF
So, come out of retirement, apply with this contractor, do the job based on your expertise, quit, go back to retirement. Your concern solved:D
just poking at ya Bobby

Baja Big Dog
03-27-2007, 07:24 AM
Blame him...Blame them.....as usual you guys missed the obvious......I say the city launches and investigation, budget for it to the tune of $300000 to say $400000, and determine where the water came from, and who put the water there. Then we do an environmental impact study to the tune of $200,000 to $300,000 to determine how to get rid of the source of the problem (Hereto known as "Lake Havasu"). Then file a law suit and sue the ass off of the person(s) responsible for he problem (see the above mentioned "Lake Havasu".
Simple ain't it!!!
Oh and that will keep that side of the channel closed for the summer much to the delight of red neck city folks that would to keep the boaters out of the channel.

20" gun's
03-27-2007, 07:26 AM
I did some work for him and his son. I should not have done it. I looked him up on the registrar of contractors and he had 5 complaints and i still signed the contract. One of my dumb ideas i guess. Of course we finished on time. 6 months after we left the job and after 6 months of liquid damages. The school realized he was a dumb ass and had no money left, the school brought in another contractor. For 3 years him and his dad have been trying to claim on everyones bond to get money for his mistake. He was trying to do 80% of the work himself ie, plumbing, drywall, painting, concrete, grid oh man it was funny. He use to get a hooker to come in a give his guys BJ's in his trailer. They actually lined up for this it was nuts. All of his employees were illegal. They will never finish the work in Havasu.

Deano
03-27-2007, 07:32 AM
So a true profesional...lol. I would think that when a hole is opened up around there. The forms should get placed, rebar in, and pour the same day...Why the hell not? You don't make money with open trenches.

Dave C
03-27-2007, 07:35 AM
or maybe they never have built any sandcastles AND this happened ..... "oh shiat.. there is water in the hole we just dug... quick, someone go rent a big friggen pump now!!!!" ;) ;)
.... back to the peanut gallery ;) :D
Chuck

Ziggy
03-27-2007, 07:45 AM
Its fresh water...just throw the dry mix in and it'll set up fine.. :D:D:D:D:D:D

CityGuy
03-27-2007, 07:49 AM
I hate to spoil the party, but I figured I should throw some facts out before anyone gets hurt while jumping to conclusions.
The seawall project is on schedule and within budget. The wall panels are being pre-cast in California and first deliveries are expected in a couple of days. There is water in the trench because it doesn't need to be pumped out until the panels are here. Doing so would be a waste of time, effort and money. This wall is a little different from earlier projects in that the panels are being prepared off site instead of being cast in place. Once the panels are placed, a cap will be formed up, caged and poured along the top rail to tie it all together. Boat ties will be placed at 12' intervals along the top rail.
The project is still expected to be completed before the Memorial Day weekend. It is being done with state grant funds provided through a portion of fuel and boat registration taxes that are paid in Arizona.
Have a great day -
Charlie Cassens

Mr. Naudio
03-27-2007, 07:50 AM
That is the California side of the channel.:coffeycup

Ziggy
03-27-2007, 07:53 AM
I hate to spoil the party, but I figured I should throw some facts out before anyone gets hurt while jumping to conclusions.
The seawall project is on schedule and within budget. The wall panels are being pre-cast in California and first deliveries are expected in a couple of days. There is water in the trench because it doesn't need to be pumped out until the panels are here. Doing so would be a waste of time, effort and money. This wall is a little different from earlier projects in that the panels are being prepared off site instead of being cast in place. Once the panels are placed, a cap will be formed up, caged and poured along the top rail to tie it all together. Boat ties will be placed at 12' intervals along the top rail.
The project is still expected to be completed before the Memorial Day weekend. It is being done with state grant funds provided through a portion of fuel and boat registration taxes that are paid in Arizona.
Have a great day -
Charlie Cassens
Oh man, the voice of reason.:D .................now what are the HB peeps supposed to do all day?:jawdrop:

Magic34
03-27-2007, 07:54 AM
Have a great day -
Charlie Cassens
Hello Charlie,
I think it is great you come on here and post. Thanks for the information. I'm sure it isn't easy reading a lot of the posts about people being hard on the city, but let's face it we all love to come there.
If I may, I would like to ask you a question. Why wasn't this project done over the offseason?
Thanks again for the info.

Sigus
03-27-2007, 07:54 AM
Charlie,
Thanks for the information. I must say though it's more entertaining to watch these guys come up with their own ideas on what is going on.:D
Take care

yopengo
03-27-2007, 07:57 AM
Dammit City Guy what the hell are we going to bitch about now? :D :D :D

Deano
03-27-2007, 07:58 AM
That is the California side of the channel.:coffeycup
Is there such a thing?

Havasu_Dreamin
03-27-2007, 07:59 AM
Have a great day -
Charlie Cassens
Charlie, as always, thanks for the real scoop on what is going on.....

Baja Big Dog
03-27-2007, 08:29 AM
Way to go Charlie...Now im gonna have go back to work!!!:D

ClownRoyal
03-27-2007, 08:35 AM
Hello Charlie,
I think it is great you come on here and post. Thanks for the information. I'm sure it isn't easy reading a lot of the posts about people being hard on the city, but let's face it we all love to come there.
If I may, I would like to ask you a question. Why wasn't this project done over the offseason?
Thanks again for the info.
Here is his reply in a different thread ...
Hello all -
The timing of the seawall construction is regrettable, however, the contractor is under strict instructions (and liquidated damages) to get the job done before the Memorial Day holiday weekend. I am told the original construction schedule was to be during the winter months, but the first set of bids were rejected and the project had to be rebid, setting the schedule back. We considered delaying the project until late fall, but the job is being done with grant funds administered through Arizona State Parks, and delaying the project could put that funding in jeopardy.
The seawall is not being done to control the number of boats or cut off shoreline access. The seawall is an erosion-control measure designed to help keep the beaches from ultimately filling in the Channel. The existing seawalls have been effective enough to justify extending them whenever the grant funding is available to do so. Yes, there will be mooring rings imbedded into the wall and in the future, mooring will likely be limited to one boat per ring, just like it is now on the east (mainland) shore.
The City is currently investigating the feasibility of dredging the areas of the Channel that have silted in as a result of storm runoff, particularly at the mouth of Pima Wash near Rotary Park. What may seem like a simple task, however, is made complex, mainly due to the fact that the river, the lake -and even the Channel- are federal waters and any dredging operation must be done under the control, approval and infinite wisdom administered by the US Army Corps of Engineers. It may take more time than we'd like, but we're working on it.
See you all this summer.
Charlie

2Driver
03-27-2007, 08:40 AM
Oh man, the voice of reason.:D .................now what are the HB peeps supposed to do all day?:jawdrop:
Yes, but no elaboration on the free BJ's. :D

jammin
03-27-2007, 09:05 AM
Charlie, If the City didn't have the reputation of doing such bonehead things we wouldn't be jumping to conclusions, but thanks for the update and we'll keep our eyes on this one.

phebus
03-27-2007, 09:08 AM
It's nice to see the city is being micro managed by everyone on here. I will sleep better tonight, thank you. :)

Magic34
03-27-2007, 11:06 AM
It's nice to see the city is being micro managed by everyone on here. I will sleep better tonight, thank you. :)
Just wait until your President!!!!

Magic34
03-27-2007, 11:07 AM
Charlie,
I see you answered that in a nother thread.
Thanks again for your replies. I appreciate them and I know others do as well.
Thanks again and all the best to you.

Deano
03-27-2007, 11:32 AM
You're welcome. Let me know if want anymore usless information :D

Throttle
03-27-2007, 02:38 PM
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/510/100_1540.JPG
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/510/100_1539.JPG
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/510/100_1538.JPG
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/510/100_1537.JPG
:D

20" gun's
03-27-2007, 03:17 PM
Charlie, I wish you luck. How about a friendly wager on if you will be done on time?????

Not So Fast
03-27-2007, 03:29 PM
CRAP, you sure ruined my theory Charlie, stop being the voice of reason:) NSF

CityGuy
03-28-2007, 08:48 AM
Charlie, If the City didn't have the reputation of doing such bonehead things we wouldn't be jumping to conclusions, but thanks for the update and we'll keep our eyes on this one.
If the city has that reputation, I would venture a guess that much of it may be based on unsubstatiated "hearsay" or articles appearing in a local media that is notorious for either getting it wrong or not researching/reporting all the pertinent facts. It can be frustrating to have only one local daily that seems more interested in generating controversy than presenting the facts in a fair and balanced manner. I will suggest that not all boneheads in LHC work for the city.
Charlie, I wish you luck. How about a friendly wager on if you will be done on time?????
Thanks for the offer, but I never bet on any outcomes over which I have no control. Besides - if it is not done by Memorial Day, maybe more people will realize that there's 50 miles of lake and over 400 miles of shoreline out there to be enjoyed.
Oh well, back to work...
Charlie Cassens

Ziggy
03-28-2007, 09:09 AM
, maybe more people will realize that there's 50 miles of lake and over 400 miles of shoreline out there to be enjoyed.
Oh well, back to work...
Charlie Cassens
Such a novel concept...........:D:D
Them DCB's like sitting there though, might be a real challange.:D :D

ChumpChange
03-28-2007, 09:09 AM
Thanks for the offer, but I never bet on any outcomes over which I have no control. Besides - if it is not done by Memorial Day, maybe more people will realize that there's 50 miles of lake and over 400 miles of shoreline out there to be enjoyed.
There is? :D Don't say that to this crowd.

mobldj
03-28-2007, 03:55 PM
ahhhh,nothing like screwing in a cove...lol

707dog
03-28-2007, 04:04 PM
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/510/100_1540.JPG
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/510/100_1539.JPG
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/510/100_1538.JPG
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/510/100_1537.JPG
:D
DID ANYONE NOTICE THE WORK BOOTS:eek: IN THE FIRST PICTURE..LOL..MAYBE THE WORKERS RELIZED THAT IT SPRING BREAK SOME WHERE SO THE TOOK A BREAK ALSO..

hoolign
03-28-2007, 04:13 PM
It'll never work! A "Sea wall" in fresh water??
Your DOOOOOOMED!

ClownRoyal
04-10-2007, 08:01 AM
Been watching the progress over the last 2 weeks. SLOW!!!! Really wonder if they know what they are doing.

little rowe boat
04-10-2007, 08:05 AM
When is it SUPPOSED to be finished??

Todd969
04-10-2007, 08:05 AM
Been watching the progress over the last 2 weeks. SLOW!!!! Really wonder if they know what they are doing.
They have some footings done and were backfilling on Saturday.