PDA

View Full Version : What to do??

67weimann
03-26-2007, 05:17 PM
Okay, I am currently an electrical foreman, I don't get any vehicle allowance nor does my current company pay for any gas and I drive around 100 miles a day. I was offered a job today from a new company that will give me a company gas card and after 6 months I will get a company truck. I would take a 50 cent pay cut to change jobs, but I will get a gas card.:D The new company only does electrical service work so I may put more miles on my truck the first 6 months but it will be their gas. So after 6 months I would get a review, more money, company vehicle and still have the gas card...
I went in to my current employer and gave a noticed and they offered a $1 raise...
What would you do?

YeLLowBoaT
03-26-2007, 05:19 PM
take the buck and run a 4 banger small truck.

shueman
03-26-2007, 05:35 PM
A company vehicle is worth maybe $15k a year minimum...

Racer277
03-26-2007, 05:50 PM
A company vehicle is worth maybe $15k a year minimum...
Agreed.
Determine if you really need your truck if you have a company truck.
$1.50 an hour is worth $3120 per year, before taxes.
For every $3 gallon of gas you buy, you had to earn $4.

rrrr
03-26-2007, 05:51 PM
I think the IRS allows $.35/mile allowance for vehicle deduction when used for work, so even the gubmint tax boys think you are getting hosed for $175/week, as do I.
I would have told my current employer that the other guy offered $2/hr PLUS a $400/month truck allowance......but you're prolly too honest and told him the real deal.
This is my advice, and I run a decent size engineering and construction outfit.....
The bottom line is if you are reliable and trustworthy, your employer will shell out the money. What I have outlined above will cost him about $145/week. The cost of hiring and training an unknown future employee plus taking the chance the unknown future employee will be like you and look out for his interests make it a crapshoot he will prolly lose.
Tell him he's a swell boss and you don't want a new job but after receiving a couple of other offers, your personal asessment is that you are worth his increased INVESTMENT and you'll work to pay dividends on that investment.
I'd fall for that in a minute. Good luck.

Chico&Zeus
03-26-2007, 06:01 PM
I had the company truck, my personal truck just sat and sat, month after month I paid the insurance, made the payments, then finally said F it and sold the truck. So then I had only the company vehicle, then I realized that the company frowned on "going to the bar" in a company vehicle, "towing the boat" in a company vehicle, "going to the LA boatshow" in a company vehicle. Finally my company offered a "lease buy back" program. I bought a new truck, they pay me a generous amount every month to use my vehicle, they still provide me with a fuel card as long as I maintain 15,000 miles/year company mileage, plus the truck is a deduction at the end of the year. The company still makes money charging the truck on the job and I am living happily ever after!

CHEETER-JOE
03-26-2007, 06:04 PM
Too bad you were not here in Cali, we are in major need of foreman, service guys and a project manager. We offer full benefits, fuel, car allowance, vacation, holiday, 401k, full medical, etc, etc and very good pay. I would take the company vehicle over the $1 raise anyday.

Thorsinc
03-26-2007, 06:14 PM
If you worked for me, I would have just offered you new title and no money!

riverbound
03-26-2007, 06:18 PM
Too bad you were not here in Cali, we are in major need of foreman, service guys and a project manager. We offer full benefits, fuel, car allowance, vacation, holiday, 401k, full medical, etc, etc and very good pay. I would take the company vehicle over the $1 raise anyday.
:idea:

squirt'nmyload
03-26-2007, 06:22 PM
so what you are saying is that your boat may be having electrical problems every weekend and you have to take it to the lake for testing:D :D

soupersonic
03-26-2007, 06:57 PM
Okay, I am currently an electrical foreman, I don't get any vehicle allowance nor does my current company pay for any gas and I drive around 100 miles a day. I was offered a job today from a new company that will give me a company gas card and after 6 months I will get a company truck. I would take a 50 cent pay cut to change jobs, but I will get a gas card.:D The new company only does electrical service work so I may put more miles on my truck the first 6 months but it will be their gas. So after 6 months I would get a review, more money, company vehicle and still have the gas card...
I went in to my current employer and gave a noticed and they offered a $1 raise...
What would you do?
First let me say Im sorry your an electrician, been there done that for 15 years.
So the new company that only does service work doesnt have a vehicle for you to drive? BS, they want you to run the tongue out of yours. A pay cut? F that, the only way i would jump ship is for more money plus a truck and gas. The company your with now should kick out a gas card plus a buck if you deserve it.Right now there is a huge demand for electrical workers. Name your price, you"ll get it.

67weimann
03-26-2007, 09:17 PM
First let me say Im sorry your an electrician, been there done that for 15 years.
So the new company that only does service work doesnt have a vehicle for you to drive? BS, they want you to run the tongue out of yours. A pay cut? F that, the only way i would jump ship is for more money plus a truck and gas. The company your with now should kick out a gas card plus a buck if you deserve it.Right now there is a huge demand for electrical workers. Name your price, you"ll get it.
The new company does have a truck to drive, after the initiation process. The company I'm with now most definately won't pay for gas or a truck. So, a 50 cent cut in pay for 2 months is actually not a pay cut in my eyes since they will pay the 60-80 bucks I pay for gas a week.($2/hr@40hrs a week) Yeah, I would have to drive my truck for the new company, but on their dime and only till I get aquainted with their way of doing things. My current company, I have to drive a lot on my own time and gas. So the difference is, the new company would pay for gas and drive time...then after the first couple months, I'd get a company vehicle. I already put 1500-2000 miles a month on my truck for my current company just to get to and from the job, haul tools and material, etc...

boatnam2
03-26-2007, 09:53 PM
take the new job,truck and gas card,you will be able to bang them for 50cents afters a few months employment.