PDA

View Full Version : Aluminum Heads?

widowmaker
03-26-2007, 05:27 PM
Going to start a new motor 502 with aluminum heads. Rectangle port, eventually I'm going to add a blower.
I which kind of aluminum heads to buy? Merlin, Brodix, Edelbrock, Chevy?

steelcomp
03-26-2007, 05:45 PM
Brodix BB2X...the Reher Morrison casting.
Oh...lookey here...just happen to have a set for sale!!! :D :D
Seriously, to answer your question, if you're truely going to go with a blower, your focus should be more on ex port performance than intake...the blower will mask a multitude of sins in an intake port, but not the ex. The Canfields seem to have the best ex port by far. I was able to get over 300cfm with very little work on mine. If you aren't looking to spend a lot of $$, then I'd go with the Can's. If you want to step up to something expensive, go with the Brodix casting and get a custom CNC program for them. The reason I say that is the off-the-shelf CNC heads have a lot of room for improvement, and if you're going to spend that kind of $$, you might as wel get your $$ worth. From what I'm hearing, the AFR castings don't seem to clean up as well as the Brodix (with A CNC program) so for CNC, most guys are leaning toward the Brodix casting. For an off the shelf, non ported head, (a lot less expensive) the Canfield would be my first choice. It's also my second choice for a good CNC program, and I put it right up there with the Brodix.

widowmaker
03-26-2007, 06:18 PM
just out of curiosity what do you guys think of this set up for a pre - blown application?
Victor Jr. 24 deg. rectangular port cylinder heads
300cc intake rect port heads
Duration Advertised 335° Intake/329° Exhaust
Duration @ .050'' 236° Intake/245° Exhaust
Lift @ Valve .625'' Intake/.639'' Exhaust
Lift @ Cam .368'' Intake/.376'' Exhaust
Lobe Separation Angle 112°
Intake Centerline 109°
Intake Timing @ .050" Open 6° BTDC
Close 51° ABDC
Exhaust Timing @ .050" Open 54° BBDC
Close 11° ATDCs
Edelbrock Power Package Crate Engine Top End Kit
Designed especially for GM's ZZ502 HO Gen V or Gen VI short block, Power Package Top End Kit 350-2094 comes complete with a Victor Jr. 454-R intake manifold, Victor Jr. 24 deg. rectangular port cylinder heads, Performer RPM Hydraulic Roller Cam, timing chain and gear set, intake bolt, head bolts, and Edelbrock High-quality gaskets. Dyno tests on a GM 502 short block with flat top pistons and an Edelbrock Thunder Series AVS 800 cfm carburetor resulted in power readings of 611 horsepower @ 6000 rpm and 579 ft/lbs. of torque @ 4500 rpm with pump gas.

don johnson
03-27-2007, 06:48 AM
There is a potentially nice set of used Dart 345's for sale in the spam section.

lilrick
03-27-2007, 07:06 AM
IMO....talk to the person who will be doing the machine work and helping you with the engine the most. There are alot of different cylinder head combinations and as you can see there are alot for sale in the spam section and for varying reasons. There are alot of reputable engine builders and they have more experience than alot of us part timers. People that make money building engines and are reputable, ARE for a reason.....For me, my relationship with my engine builder is priceless. I spend more upfront, but I save it in the end when the engine does everything he tells me it will.....He even tells me what it WON'T do.....hehehe LOL.

jbone
03-27-2007, 07:23 AM
I'm no expert, but this looks like a great foundation for what you are doing.
J
http://www.***boat.com/forums/showthread.php?t=143636&highlight=long+block

78Eliminator
03-27-2007, 07:41 AM
Most important question is what you are going to put this motor in.

pw_Tony
03-27-2007, 08:42 AM
just out of curiosity what do you guys think of this set up for a pre - blown application?
Victor Jr. 24 deg. rectangular port cylinder heads
300cc intake rect port heads
Duration Advertised 335° Intake/329° Exhaust
Duration @ .050'' 236° Intake/245° Exhaust
Lift @ Valve .625'' Intake/.639'' Exhaust
Lift @ Cam .368'' Intake/.376'' Exhaust
Lobe Separation Angle 112°
Intake Centerline 109°
Intake Timing @ .050" Open 6° BTDC
Close 51° ABDC
Exhaust Timing @ .050" Open 54° BBDC
Close 11° ATDCs
Edelbrock Power Package Crate Engine Top End Kit
Designed especially for GM's ZZ502 HO Gen V or Gen VI short block, Power Package Top End Kit 350-2094 comes complete with a Victor Jr. 454-R intake manifold, Victor Jr. 24 deg. rectangular port cylinder heads, Performer RPM Hydraulic Roller Cam, timing chain and gear set, intake bolt, head bolts, and Edelbrock High-quality gaskets. Dyno tests on a GM 502 short block with flat top pistons and an Edelbrock Thunder Series AVS 800 cfm carburetor resulted in power readings of 611 horsepower @ 6000 rpm and 579 ft/lbs. of torque @ 4500 rpm with pump gas.
That's kinda starnge. Your advertised duration is MUCH higher thatn your .050. Most companies measure their advertise at .015-.020. And you advertised intake duration is higher than your exhaust, but at your .050 your exhaust duration is higher than your intake. Just kinda odd

VDRIVERACING
03-27-2007, 08:44 AM
In addition to your application, your budget is an important component to mention in this discussion. Prices for heads vary by thousands of dollars.
CNC Darts are highly thought of, but will cost almost twice that of a set of RHS heads which are quickly gaining popularity for their out of box quality, performance, and competitive price. If bleeding edge performance for racing is not a consideration, than there are about four brands to choose from based on the best deal you can get at the time.
It will help the contributors share their experiences if you narrow down your field.
Boat application, HP range desired, budget range(complete ready to use).

ck7684
03-27-2007, 09:15 AM
Most cams I see show advertised and at .050

widowmaker
03-27-2007, 02:53 PM
That's kinda starnge. Your advertised duration is MUCH higher thatn your .050. Most companies measure their advertise at .015-.020. And you advertised intake duration is higher than your exhaust, but at your .050 your exhaust duration is higher than your intake. Just kinda odd
Hummm... didn't notice that until you mentioned.... I just cut and pasted from edelbrocks website.... I think this is the way I will be going..

widowmaker
03-27-2007, 02:54 PM
Most important question is what you are going to put this motor in.
a 2007 Eliminator 21' Daytona...:D :D :D

cfm
03-27-2007, 02:59 PM
If purchasing a $2600-$3000 typically priced CNC'd head I'd strongly consider calling these guys. http://www.bmfracing.com/bmf_bbc.htm
Also, as others have mentioned, if any serious porting (hand or CNC) is going to be done then Brodix is typically the castings to get. There is a reason why their out of the box #'s are so low but their heads are on many of the fastest engines out there. They are typically made for the porter in mind.

78Eliminator
03-28-2007, 10:24 AM
a 2007 Eliminator 21' Daytona...:D :D :D
Jet, V-drive or out drive?

widowmaker
03-28-2007, 05:18 PM
Jet, V-drive or out drive?
A jet. I'll fill you guys in as it progresses

RICHARD TILL
03-28-2007, 08:51 PM
you might try this guy in mena, arkansas who lives near the brodix plant. www.robsspeed.com he sells new, used and blemished heads. i bought a set of cnc plus 2 blemished heads from him. i got a good deal and yet to see where the blemish is. phone number is 479-394-1658

brad22
03-28-2007, 09:35 PM
WHAT ARE YOU DOING FOR EXHAUST?? :sqeyes:

cstraub
03-29-2007, 05:42 AM
Going to start a new motor 502 with aluminum heads. Rectangle port, eventually I'm going to add a blower.
I which kind of aluminum heads to buy? Merlin, Brodix, Edelbrock, Chevy?
You want to use something in the 300 to 320cc range. The low side will make for a great NA engine and later on a good blower engine. The high side of this will make for a good NA engine and a great blower engine. All of the mentioned heads are good pieces and can make good power. Scott (CFM) metioned the BMF's which are coming on very strong with engine builders but in talking to them (BMF) the other day they are backordered right now with no date of when they can ship. There is a board member on here that contacted me about a build that has a set of 305AFR's that he bought, still in the box, which are a little small for his combo. If interested PM me and I will get you his contact info.

widowmaker
03-29-2007, 06:46 AM
WHAT ARE YOU DOING FOR EXHAUST?? :sqeyes:
i've alread got them, a set of lightning headers with extended length to prevent reversion

widowmaker
03-29-2007, 06:50 AM
In addition to your application, your budget is an important component to mention in this discussion. Prices for heads vary by thousands of dollars.
CNC Darts are highly thought of, but will cost almost twice that of a set of RHS heads which are quickly gaining popularity for their out of box quality, performance, and competitive price. If bleeding edge performance for racing is not a consideration, than there are about four brands to choose from based on the best deal you can get at the time.
It will help the contributors share their experiences if you narrow down your field.
Boat application, HP range desired, budget range(complete ready to use).
Budget, I'd like to spend less than 2500 for a set of assembled heads
A little more about the application, it is going in a 21' Daytona, with a jet, lightning headers, an A or AA impeller, looking for around 600-650 normally aspirated and running an impeller around 5500rpms. Then later adding a blower probably of an 8-71 with intercooler, to look more towards 750-800hp, this is going to be run frequently at Lake Powell and the lower colorado river.

stix818
03-29-2007, 07:00 AM
I would recommend Pro Toplines. I ran them on my flat and she ran extremely well. We sell quite a few of these in our area. I know they have proven themselves on a jet. A set my old man completed for a guy in our area runs a jet with a single carb in NJBA and has ran 8.90s all day long. Anyhow they have proven themselves and flow as well or better than the brodix 2s and dart.

don johnson
03-29-2007, 07:55 AM
I would recommend Pro Toplines. I ran them on my flat and she ran extremely well. We sell quite a few of these in our area. I know they have proven themselves on a jet. A set my old man completed for a guy in our area runs a jet with a single carb in NJBA and has ran 8.90s all day long. Anyhow they have proven themselves and flow as well or better than the brodix 2s and dart.
Agree, the RHS Toplines work very well. I run them on my 2 572 CI blower motors which made a little over 1,100 HP at 11 lbs of boost....

VDRIVERACING
03-29-2007, 08:08 AM
Agree, the RHS Toplines work very well. I run them on my 2 572 CI blower motors which made a little over 1,100 HP at 11 lbs of boost....
I am happy with my RHS 345's, although I got the cast iron version. Their aluminum heads should still be in your price range, and certainly one of the best bangs for the buck.

stix818
03-29-2007, 08:09 AM
That thing must haul A$$ then!!:D

brad22
03-29-2007, 02:37 PM
i've alread got them, a set of lightning headers with extended length to prevent reversion
Just checking :D You would be suprised how many people dont factor that in when they are changing camshafts. Nice setup ;)