PDA

View Full Version : Moving to Los Angeles...

BrendellaJet
03-26-2007, 06:23 PM
Considering taking a job in Glendale.
Currently live in South OC. Can anyone give me an idea of what to expect?
Neighborhoods?, Schools?, housing affordability? I know there is a train station near the office and I know traffic sucks, so Id like to find a neighborhood near a train station so I dont have to brave the freeways during the week.
Am I going to find anything in the 650k range for housing or will I need to spend more? Any info you can provide would be great.

Rexone
03-26-2007, 06:28 PM
So OC to Glendale. Would have to be a damn good job for me to consider that move. :eek:

BrendellaJet
03-26-2007, 06:32 PM
So OC to Glendale. Would have to be a damn good job for me to consider that move. :eek:
Damnit! think positive Rex! It is a good job.

Rexone
03-26-2007, 06:35 PM
Damnit! think positive Rex! It is a good job.
Just funnin with ya. I'm sure there's some nice parts of Glendale that compare to S OC. I just haven't seen em. :)

Riverless
03-26-2007, 06:41 PM
at least you'll be closer to Porto's Bakery, corner of Brand & California. :D

yopengo
03-26-2007, 06:41 PM
Glendale will have some in your range. They will be older and not all new like Ladera. I would love to find an old ranch style home and fix it up. :D

BrendellaJet
03-26-2007, 06:50 PM
Not afraid of the fixer up stuff. I bought my home in Ladera new and it needed plenty of stuff redone.
Looking for clean neighborhoods and not a bunch of gangsta's... Trying to raise a family so I want to make sure its a good environment with good schools. Dont have to be in Glendale either. If I leave early enough to get to work traffic wont be an issue...Will it?

yopengo
03-26-2007, 06:57 PM
I would check out Santa Clarita then... more like So OC. Not sure on prices or drive time to Glendale.

shueman
03-26-2007, 08:24 PM
If it's an office job and you don't need the car, I'd stay in the OC and take the Metro...no stress, and you can get work done along the way...;)

SoCal Builder
03-26-2007, 08:41 PM
It has the best schools in that area. i would avoid Santa Clarita unless you don't mind driving in a lot of traffic.

XtrmWakeborder
03-26-2007, 09:05 PM
OC to LA? Maybe you can commute? I would never ever move to LA, I hate that damn place.

C-2
03-26-2007, 09:12 PM
Glendora, La Verne, San Dimas???? Nice areas, with all the fire sales you might pick something up in that range.
Glendale, capital city of new Armenia.:sqeyes: :sqeyes:

BrendellaJet
03-26-2007, 09:50 PM
So far La Canada is looking pretty nearby and from what I can see online the area is pretty nice.

LAFD
03-26-2007, 09:52 PM
Glendale, capital city of new Armenia.:sqeyes: :sqeyes:[/QUOTE]
this is basically what i was gunne say.but there takin over everywhere. if you can find somewhere in like montrose or la canada its a little better. but you just cant run from the mo.

RT21
03-26-2007, 09:54 PM
Uhm.....how do I say this. Well.....hmmm, Glendale is VERY Armenian. There, I said it.

ovrkll77
03-26-2007, 10:24 PM
I thought they changed the name from glendale to armenia, didn't they?:D

jdogginla
03-26-2007, 10:44 PM
Glendale has the worlds largest Armenian population outside of Armenia. I lived there for two years in a great well manicured neighborhood. Eventually moved when I felt out of place.....LOL. You can move to Burbank or Pasadena....each one is only 5 miles or so from Glendale, but ohhh what a difference 5 miles make.
just my .02

Baja Big Dog
03-27-2007, 07:58 AM
I thought they changed the name from glendale to armenia, didn't they?:D
Yea but did you have any trouble getting your trash taken away???:confused:

BrendellaJet
03-27-2007, 02:06 PM
bump.

marty722
03-27-2007, 02:10 PM
Glendale, capital city of new Armenia.:sqeyes: :sqeyes:
this is basically what i was gunne say.but there takin over everywhere. if you can find somewhere in like montrose or la canada its a little better. but you just cant run from the mo.[/QUOTE]
YEAH what he said :idea: :idea:

25dic
03-27-2007, 04:56 PM
Very heavy on the Armo's, very pushy, and rude. Move to Santa Clarita and take the train, it is a 45 min commute. If you are going to stay close to Glendale, Burbank is nice, but also getting heavy on the Armo's depending on the area. If you are looking in the Glendale area or Burbank and you see a house with Greek style pillars at the front door it is Armo. You do not get a whole lot of house in the area for 650K. I do not see many houses for sale with RV parking. Good luck.

LUVNLIFE
03-27-2007, 05:48 PM
Check your PM's;)

cc322
03-27-2007, 06:18 PM
Thats what I was thinking GLENDALE man I think I would stay in ladera. I spent alot of my 20,s hanging out in glendale clubs and stuff, you can have the valley I will take south OC any day.......then again money talks:confused: BTW the Armenian thing is correct it's been like that from the early 80's As far as good schools you are allready in the best area in all of so cal. La Canada and La Cresenta are very nice out that way as is Montrose....and pricey.

finsfan4life
03-27-2007, 06:58 PM
Well I live in Santa Clarita. Its about 18 to 20 miles north of Glendale. Depending on your schedule, you're looking about 25 to 35 min drive time...I moved up here from the San Fernando valley. The only people that complain about the drive and traffic to Santa Clarita are people that havnt got the guts to move up here. Traffic is a lil heavy at times, but by far, well worth it.
As far as the schools..They are outstanding. For what a person will pay for a private or catholic school in the S.F. valley or L.A. area, are free up here. For example, my son goes to a nearby elemantary school, it was awarded with being a California distingiush school last year. Home prices range from the low $600's to over 1 mill. depending on the exact area....we love it up here in the 661....P.S. But stay away from Canyon Country, stay closer to Interstate 5.
Finsfan

totenhosen
03-27-2007, 08:30 PM
La Canada has the best public schools in the area. However you won't find anything for $650k. More like $850k+.
Pasadena, Sierra Madre parts of Altadena will have nice areas for you if you don't mind sending kids to private schools.
Arcadia is a nice area with great schools if you don't mind the large Asian population.
If you give me a better idea of what you are looking for I can help.
Right now I live in Monrovia and drive to Burbank for work. The drive in the morning is 25-30 minutes and way home anywhere from 30 minutes to 50.

totenhosen
03-28-2007, 06:47 AM
La Canada is not a bad area. If you want to know the demographic of the area glendale is about 80% aremenian, La Canada area (La Canada, Montrose, Cresenta Valley, etc) are very heavily Asian and Armenian.
You must not get out a lot if you think LC and CV are heavily Asian and Aremenian. I would say less than 10%.