PDA

View Full Version : Front rails in an open bow????

house
03-26-2007, 07:20 PM
How many of you decided to go without rails on the front of your open bow? I like the clean look of having no rails up there but want to make sure I am not making a mistake....

Havasu_Dreamin
03-26-2007, 07:21 PM
We did not put any bow rails on our Howard Sportdeck for the same reason...the clean look...

Hotcobra270
03-26-2007, 07:45 PM
How many of you decided to go without rails on the front of your open bow? I like the clean look of having no rails up there but want to make sure I am not making a mistake....
I went with them and I kinda wished I didnt.. I dont think I actually got a choice.. I asked cobra how much it would be to remove them and they said it would be about 3k to fiberglass the holes left from the railing.
3k is kinda steep, do you guys know if someone else might be able to do good work and do it for less?
ducky?
Ohh yeah, the only time we use those thing is when we are near the docs and we have to pull the boat closer, but I'm sure I dont really "need" them

RiverDave
03-26-2007, 07:52 PM
I'm pretty sure the law states you need some sort of grab handle for the passengers in the front. Ultra uses grab handles on the sides of the seats down below, DCB does as well as some other mfg's. Much cleaner look IMO.
I never really understood holding something up higher then you if the main concern was being held down into the boat. I.E. If the grab handle is below you, you can pull youself down into the seat. If it's up on the gunnel above your torso, then your not going to be able to hold yourself in the boat that well.
I don't think bow railings look bad if their done right though. Nordic is a perfect example of a GREAT looking bow rail, that really adds to the look of the boat.
RD