PDA

View Full Version : Two stroke oil question

Rocknpalms
03-26-2007, 07:34 PM
I just bought my first outboard and need a little two stroke oil info. Its a 115 Merc with oil injection on a '24 pontoon.
When I got the boat the oil injection tank was at about 1/4 full. The oil looked dark in color, typical two stroke. I wanted to top the tank off and the only oil I had was some PWC oil. I think Seado or Bombadier. This oil was clear/gold in color. Is clear oil synthectic? Is there a problem with mixing the two oils? Do I need to drain the tank? Also what is a good oil to run?
Thanks

Havasu Carrera
03-26-2007, 08:21 PM
If it were mine. I would take her to the river and keep the injection bottle full of Quicksilver and it should live (as mercury intended it to) for 30 years!!! Good luck. Your in good hands with the old merc.:)

dicudmore
03-26-2007, 09:48 PM
If it were mine. I would take her to the river and keep the injection bottle full of Quicksilver and it should live (as mercury intended it to) for 30 years!!! Good luck. Your in good hands with the old merc.:)
agreed--that style motor seems to run FOREVER--just keep oil in it :D

DMOORE
03-28-2007, 09:20 AM
Like FLYING LAVEY said, regular non synthetic oil is plenty good for your application. I run the west marine oil in one of our jet skis and it works great. It's making 100hp out of a tiny motor with no problems. The synthetics are needed in the high performance applications and direction injection motors(orbital [I]njection), it is overkill and a waste of money in your motor.. I have one ski with this set up, and only run synthetic( it's very expensive oil). As far as mixing oil, dont worry about it. The only oil that should not be mixed is real Castor oil, made from the castor bean. It has a very distinctive smell and is for racing purposed only. (rare and expensive) Pretty sure it would not be in your boat.
Darrell.

Mr. C
03-30-2007, 09:38 AM
couldn't agree more. 20 year old merc 150, not one oil related problem, actually not one problem with the engine period. Love my Merc.
I'm not knocking any other oils just always used Quicksilver.