PDA

View Full Version : Need advice on boat stereo equipment...

SoCal Builder
03-26-2007, 09:05 PM
Having a new Howard Sport Deck built and would like the board's advice on what you would spec for stereo equipment. I am currently thinking:
Alpine head unit with Ipod controller
Alpine 6 disc changer
4 sets of Polk SR6500 mid bass/tweater separates
2 10" concealed box subwoofers in the gunwale
3 JL Audio amps (wattage tbd)
What do you guys think? I am looking for something that sounds clean but will rock as well. Where do you get the best deal on buying equipment? I plan on having Howard do the installation.
Thanks!

shadow
03-26-2007, 09:17 PM
i've personally found that i rarely used my CD changer after i installed the Ipod hook up.Took the changer out and just carry a few CD's incase the IPod
acts up.Haven't had to resort back to CD's yet.

KREGER
03-26-2007, 09:38 PM
Same here on the CD Changer X-nay.
Are you going with JL 10's?
Are you going to add on more Batteries?

707dog
03-27-2007, 06:20 AM
Nice Lil Set Up Personaly Id Step It Up To Some 12's w7's !! Toss The Cd Changer If Ya Got The Ipod..and do some shopping around before jumping on any deals...hit ebay up i bought 90% of my stereo chit off there with no probs for both truck and boat just recieved my new 15's for my truck last night. but definatly shop around........

riverbound
03-27-2007, 07:08 AM
Having a new Howard Sport Deck built and would like the board's advice on what you would spec for stereo equipment. I am currently thinking:
Alpine 6 disc changer
What do you guys think? I am looking for something that sounds clean but will rock as well. Where do you get the best deal on buying equipment? I plan on having Howard do the installation.
Thanks!
I would ditch the CD changer since you are using an Ipod. I havent played a CD and RARELY use my XM in my boat. pretty much Ipod 99% of the time.
Step the woofers up to 12"s if you have the room.
The JL amps are good, but go with the highest wattage you can afford.
I would recommend using 6x9s instead of seperates in a marine application.

Havasu_Dreamin
03-27-2007, 07:45 AM
We went with the iPod connection instead of the CD changer and use the iPod almost exclusively. We had Bill, Lead Rigger @ Howard, install the iPod connector in the golvebox instead of in the port side cabinet. Also, since the iPod was going in the glovebox we had them carpet the inside of the glovebox.
Talk with Mike about the speakers and amps they use, everyone seems to think our stereo sounds pretty good.

jrgaudettes
03-27-2007, 07:49 AM
Nice Lil Set Up Personaly Id Step It Up To Some 12's w7's !! Toss The Cd Changer If Ya Got The Ipod..and do some shopping around before jumping on any deals...hit ebay up i bought 90% of my stereo chit off there with no probs for both truck and boat just recieved my new 15's for my truck last night. but definatly shop around........
W7's :jawdrop: Im running the W3's and there are fine. But W7's are nice to.
Alpine 6 disc changer
Thanks!
Check out the Alpine PDX amps. There small and do the job real well.:D

707dog
03-27-2007, 09:26 AM
W7's :jawdrop: Im running the W3's and there are fine. But W7's are nice to.
Check out the Alpine PDX amps. There small and do the job real well.:D
W7'S ARE SOME NICE CHIT AND WAS MY FIRST CHOICE ..BUT ENDED UP RUNNING 2 SQUARE L7 KICKERS BECAUSE OF LIMITED BOX SPACE...

rivercrazy
03-27-2007, 09:47 AM
W7's are very power hungry. Unless your going with a generator power supply, I'd recommend staying with more efficient subs.

WET HULL
03-27-2007, 01:36 PM
The W3 are real good if the boxes are built to spec. Plus they are like a third of the weight of the W7. Give them 250 watts rms and party on.

SoCal Builder
04-02-2007, 09:32 AM
I am planning on putting in 3 Optima Blue Top batteries. I would like a quick, punchy type of bass for rock/blues/pop versus the big, flabby rap type bass.

jrgaudettes
04-02-2007, 09:38 AM
I am planning on putting in 3 Optima Blue Top batteries. I would like a quick, punchy type of bass for rock/blues/pop versus the big, flabby rap type bass.
I'm running 3 Optimas. 2 for stereo and 1 for the boat start up. Also running 2 12in W3's with a Alpine Pdx amp. This set up will do what your looking for, but there are a several other set up's, some just as good or better.:D
Amp's
Alpine PDX1.100 subs
Alpine PDX4.150 6.5's

Racey
04-02-2007, 09:53 AM
I just got some of the JL 10" marine subs, and they look pretty nice, very heavy duty construction, haven't got them hooked up yet, but i've heard they sound nice, the new marine amps are nice too, i got a 6 chan and the mono sub amp, both are very nice, and surprisingly not too heavy. JL's stuff is always top notch, definitely recommened for their amps and subs.
CD changers are a waste of space, a hassle to load, just stick with the ipod, Personally i like satellite radio, i put Sirius in a few boats and it's the hot ticket, it's really nice when you are with a group of boats that all have it, that way you can tune all the stereos to the same station and really rock out.

plaster dave
04-02-2007, 02:02 PM
2-2150 odesey s/p batteries and a generator is all you need. My buddy is running 5000 or 6000 watts all day on these batteries then turns on the gen. at nite to charge them.

acatitude
04-02-2007, 02:18 PM
not to hijack this thread but since its about stereos im looking for someone good to go thru my stuff in sacramento. have some clipping I think its called and just give it all a check... thanks if anyone knows someone around here.

LAFD
04-02-2007, 02:25 PM
[QUOTE=jrgaudettes;2467004]W7's :jawdrop: Im running the W3's and there are fine. But W7's are nice to.
i have two 10w6's in my truck. lets just say it blurs your vision when cranked.

jrgaudettes
04-02-2007, 02:48 PM
[QUOTE=jrgaudettes;2467004]W7's :jawdrop: Im running the W3's and there are fine. But W7's are nice to.
Nice set up there. :D

Cole Trickle
04-02-2007, 03:16 PM
I will give you $100.00 for the two of them;):D
So they ended up in the truck huh?

SoCal Builder
04-02-2007, 09:18 PM
Mike at Howard gets this stuff at cost and will save me some money if I can spec equivalent equipment.

Phat Matt
04-02-2007, 09:30 PM
Mike at Howard gets this stuff at cost and will save me some money if I can spec equivalent equipment.
Good stuff.