PDA

View Full Version : Boat Fire Video: There's a lesson here

Ike
03-26-2007, 09:26 PM
http://abclocal.go.com/ktrk/story?section=local&id=5150679
http://www.myfoxhouston.com/myfox/pages/Home/Detail?contentId=2764676&version=2&locale=EN-US&layoutCode=VSTY&pageId=1.1.1

Moneypitt
03-26-2007, 10:37 PM
This Focked up link comes on butt Fn' loud with a commerical and then locks shit up so you can't turn it down......Locked up my computer as well even after I closed it.........MP
PS:3/28 Tried it again, still butt loud, but it played this time.........

Ike
03-27-2007, 09:00 AM
Sorry about that. Both work fine for me, on both of my computers. The second one, the Fox video, does come on very loud, but you can lower the sound in the player. That's Fox, they do everything LOUD.

RiverDave
03-27-2007, 09:08 AM
Is the lesson always run your blower?
RD

ratso
03-27-2007, 10:04 AM
Is the lesson always run your blower?
RD
I think the lesson would also include "Scheduled Maintenance"...;)

Ike
03-28-2007, 04:45 PM
Well, I'll wait to find out what the investigation says, but I've investigated a lot of these. News reports said they were working on the fuel system because of a leak. At some point somebody did something dumb, like try to start the engine, or even as simple as turn on a light. I've seen everything from that to using a shop vac to sukc up spilled gasoline.
Gas is just plain deadly. If you have a leak, shut everything off and don't use the boat or anything on it until it's fixed and the spilled fuel is cleaned up and the boat is completely aired out. Sounds obvious, but I've even seen pros violate these simple common sense rules.

h2oski2fast
03-28-2007, 05:43 PM
This Focked up link comes on butt Fn' loud with a commerical and then locks shit up so you can't turn it down......Locked up my computer as well even after I closed it.........MP
Time to upgrade from the 486. :) :) :)

riverbound
03-28-2007, 05:53 PM
Well, I'll wait to find out what the investigation says, but I've investigated a lot of these. News reports said they were working on the fuel system because of a leak. At some point somebody did something dumb, like try to start the engine, or even as simple as turn on a light. I've seen everything from that to using a shop vac to sukc up spilled gasoline.
Gas is just plain deadly. If you have a leak, shut everything off and don't use the boat or anything on it until it's fixed and the spilled fuel is cleaned up and the boat is completely aired out. Sounds obvious, but I've even seen pros violate these simple common sense rules.
And the Darwin award winner goes to........;)

Boatcop
03-28-2007, 06:07 PM
A similar thing happened at Buckskin State Park a few years back.
A guy left the electric fuel pump running and hydrolocked the cylinders with fuel. He pulled the plugs and told his buddy to crank it over to pump the gas out. Spark plug wire grounded on the block and FWOOM!
2nd and 3rd degree burns over 60% of his body. Not to mention the burned out hulk of a 24' daycruiser.

Turbojack
03-28-2007, 06:35 PM
Heard a few stories. Not sure which one is true
Trying to save money & filling up boat with gas jugs. (forgot about blower)
Missed the opening marked FUEL on boat & pouring gas in bilge.
Working on engine problem.

Boatcop
03-28-2007, 06:52 PM
Heard a few stories. Not sure which one is true
Trying to save money & filling up boat with gas jugs. (forgot about blower)
Missed the opening marked FUEL on boat & pouring gas in bilge.
Working on engine problem.
Different fire. The one you're thinking of was a guy who bought an older boat-fixer upper. It had 2 tanks and 2 fills on top of the transom. He just opened the cap and pumped in 40 gallons. Problem was, the fuel fill didn't have a hose connected to it. Gas went straight to the bilge.
On top of that it had a automotive (non-shielded) MSD ignition box. First turn of the key blew it all to hell.
The other one I mentioned was on the beach south of the gas dock.