PDA

View Full Version : Milky pump oil?

oldshallett
03-26-2007, 11:51 PM
Put the boat in the water the other day and something sounded a little weird. I Pulled it out and added some oil in my trusty Berkley only to find a milkshake. Still kinda new to jets, so i have no idea what this means or how much it will cost to repair.

luv2race
03-27-2007, 12:04 AM
Put the boat in the water the other day and something sounded a little weird. I Pulled it out and added some oil in my trusty Berkley only to find a milkshake. Still kinda new to jets, so i have no idea what this means or how much it will cost to repair.
Well the milkshake oil means water in oil. Why it got there not sure. But you can call Harold at R&D he is the best and sure he can help you.
www.R-DMARINE.com

Jetaholic
03-27-2007, 12:20 AM
Sounds to me like the internal bowl seal is gone or you have water leaking into the bowl hub screw on the nozzle side of the bowl. More than likely it's the internal seal.
The end of the pump shaft is supported by 2 bushings inside the bowl hub. The oil in the bowl lubricates those bushings. In front of the bushings is a shaft seal...if it's gone (i.e. wore out) water will leak past it and into your bowl oil.

oldshallett
03-27-2007, 12:26 AM
I understand the whole milkshake concept......i have an olds....i am just shocked it now happened in my pump.

Jetaholic
03-27-2007, 12:27 AM
Well pull the bowl off and I can pretty much guarantee that seal is gone. When you replace it, it would be a good idea to replace the bowl bushings as well.
You'll just need the bushings, seal, and a new bowl gasket. Plus you'll have to reseal the transom housing.

oldshallett
03-27-2007, 12:33 AM
Do shaft seals just go out? The pump is relatively new...

DelawareDave
03-27-2007, 01:35 AM
Do shaft seals just go out? The pump is relatively new...
Someone may have put the seal in backwards. The lip faces the impeller, to keep water out. It may have the lip towards the rear, from the thought that it should keep the oil in, which is backwards.

Bitchslapped
03-27-2007, 03:03 AM
Someone may have put the seal in backwards. The lip faces the impeller, to keep water out. It may have the lip towards the rear, from the thought that it should keep the oil in, which is backwards.
Common mistake to install backwards. But first just pump 80-90weight gear oil thru till it's clear. Then take the boat out again and see how fast it gets milky again. I ran mine that way for 10yrs that way and it didn't hurt anything. BS

cave
03-27-2007, 04:35 AM
If you run in silty or sandy waters your shaft may have developed a groove where the seal rides.

SmokinLowriderSS
03-27-2007, 07:33 PM
That particular milkshake is not that big of a deal, unlike one in your old's oil pan. Flush new 90-wt into it till it is clear, cork it back up and don't sweat the small stuff.:)

67weimann
03-27-2007, 08:23 PM
I've also had tthat happen from the plugs in the bowl leaking. The previous owner had plastic plugs in the bowl and one had a slight hole that would leak water into the oil...:D

Cs19
03-27-2007, 08:36 PM
milkshake is no big deal in the bowl, milkshake in the pan is a big deal

oldshallett
03-28-2007, 02:04 PM
Thanks for all the responses. Its good to hear that it should be something simple, hopefully i can do it myself. Anything i need to know when pulling my bowl off? This is my first time tearing into a pump so i have no idea what to expect.