PDA

View Full Version : Nostalgia flatbottom class

LUCKYSTATTOOS
03-27-2007, 11:33 AM
Hey guys, I am currently restoring a patterson fiberglass SS boat that I plan on running next year in the nostalgia flat class. I have a question concerning the strut and rudder. Is it suggested to run a reinforcement plate for the 2 on the inside of the hull? Is this something needed with the 80 mph speeds? it is an ex SS race boat and has dual steel struts but no plate.
Thanks for you help!
Sheldon
SS77

kipperps28
03-27-2007, 12:17 PM
I assume you mean dual skegs, right? I would recommend running a strut brace and a doubler over the skeg bolts if you are going to crank it through a turn. The skeg doubler is easy to build (3/16 or 1/4 inch aluminum plate). The 80 mph straight speed is no big deal, but bending it through a turn will put some stress on the underwater gear.

VDRIVERACING
03-27-2007, 03:30 PM
Have you had your rudder checked out lately?

LUCKYSTATTOOS
03-27-2007, 03:59 PM
it has two shaft struts under, the main strut and a smaller one towards the stuffing box. The skegs are double plated. I have seen some with plates that tie the strut back to the rudder area and are bolted through.
make sense?

D Ginny
03-27-2007, 04:07 PM
it has two shaft struts under, the main strut and a smaller one towards the stuffing box. The skegs are double plated. I have seen some with plates that tie the strut back to the rudder area and are bolted through.
make sense?
The small one is called a whip strut

sangerflatty
03-27-2007, 04:59 PM
how do I find out more about this class,as far as rules,dates and reqierments to race.any help would be cool.

Moneypitt
03-27-2007, 05:20 PM
how do I find out more about this class,as far as rules,dates and reqierments to race.any help would be cool.
Only rules involve safety. Any engine, any build, BUT the speed limit is 80MPH GPS'd after each heat. 80.1 MAX, 82 looses a lap......Brad Stellman is the man to talk to, I'll see if I can find a contact address or number. MP
Try Jeff wooton at: wootonracing@msn.com, He'll hook you up with Brad

gnRacer98
03-27-2007, 05:37 PM
Only rules involve safety. Any engine, any build, BUT the speed limit is 80MPH GPS'd after each heat. 80.1 MAX, 82 looses a lap......Brad Stellman is the man to talk to, I'll see if I can find a contact address or number. MP
The limit is 80.9 mph and a 1 lap penalty, over 84 mph and your done for the weekend. If you clear the max. speed your DQ'd for the heat (this includes dead GPS batteries or forgot to turn GPS "on"), You will need fresh batteries each day min. Other than that it's run what you brung and you need standard APBA safety gear.

Moneypitt
03-27-2007, 06:54 PM
Lucky, Brad has posted over at BRF, send him a PM......MP

GofastRacer
03-27-2007, 07:10 PM
BRF! (http://www.boatracingfacts.com/)

CircleJerk
03-28-2007, 12:52 AM
This makes me feel better, ;) new blood, too bad you all are down South,
We all would like to try GPS up here to level the playing field, encourage newcomers, and legalize us under APBA rules! This could be my last ranting for some time.... I'm just a jErK!:D
PS On an even sadder note, the Bonde Bomber (Robin) turns 50 next week and says she is retired from racing! Ya Right!

kipperps28
03-28-2007, 06:34 AM
Boyd,
All you need to do to be "legal" is get a consistent # of boats together, and submit a rules package. As crappy as our boat count is up here, you could have a "strong" class with 6 boats. For that matter, you can start out as a "local" class (like E-Stock was in the mid 90's) and it can be governed locally. Oh yeah, and you officially hijacked Luck's thread with your Outlaw politics, JerK! ;)

rossdbos
03-28-2007, 08:15 AM
why racers are their own worst enemy. If I said it once, I have said it a thousand times, spec rules for Nostalgia racing spells doom. Those that have restored their crafts already have made the significant investment to put it together THEIR WAY, no motor limits, etc. If they (the potential racers)already own the boat and all they have to is buy or rent a lifejacket and helmet and buy a gps (less than $150) how much more simple can we make it. Keep it simple and keep the politics out of it. I won't support the Nostalgia's as their own category in APBA because as soon as that happens the politicians try to stake their claim and ruin it with rules. Nostalgia is supposed to be "run what you brung" not spec motors, leave those spec's for National classes. The racers and I like it this way and it is growing by leaps and bounds- average 5 rookies (mostly in Nostalgia classes) at each SCSC/RPM event. Also, for those that mock it because of the speed limit, I say step up and see how not easy it is to learn to read the water, race in traffic and keep your speed.
Boyd, did you have any luck with the other AOF group (Darren Goerhing's)?
Take care and I also did not want to hijack this thread.
Sincerely,
Ross Wallach, SCSC/RPM RACING ENT.

LUCKYSTATTOOS
03-28-2007, 08:47 AM
Thanks Moneypitt.
Sheldon

VDRIVERACING
03-28-2007, 10:25 AM
Luck - Hope you can join us April 21,22 at Parker AZ. If you can bring your boat, I guarantee you can borrow any gear and GPS you need. You'll need to join the "club", but it's peanuts for the fun. The Nostalgia races are kinda like yur local 6K runs; there's guys that are really going after it, and others who are out there just to see what they can do and enjoy the outdoors, and they all have a really good time.
If your boat is not ready, you are welcome to watch the races, hang out, and check out all the other boats in the pits and chat with the crews.

lilrick
03-28-2007, 10:34 AM
Luck - Hope you can join us April 21,22 at Parker AZ. If you can bring your boat, I guarantee you can borrow any gear and GPS you need. You'll need to join the "club", but it's peanuts for the fun. The Nostalgia races are kinda like yur local 6K runs; there's guys that are really going after it, and others who are out there just to see what they can do and enjoy the outdoors, and they all have a really good time.
If your boat is not ready, you are welcome to watch the races, hang out, and check out all the other boats in the pits and chat with the crews.
yep:D

dmontzsta
03-28-2007, 10:51 AM
Just watch out for the big bald guy with the tattoos, he drives the red d'cucci with flames and shit, he WILL steal and feel.

lilrick
03-28-2007, 10:59 AM
bump N' grind too!!

LUCKYSTATTOOS
03-28-2007, 12:34 PM
Thanks guys, I havent missed a race in 4 years so I will defenitely be there. The boat won't be ready until next year hoping for the season opener at Ming.
Does anyone have any photos of their strut plates they can send me? I cant wait until parker as I am at this point now.
luckystattoos@yahoo.com
Thanks, Sheldon

Moneypitt
03-28-2007, 12:44 PM
Thanks guys, I havent missed a race in 4 years so I will defenitely be there. The boat won't be ready until next year hoping for the season opener at Ming.
Does anyone have any photos of their strut plates they can send me? I cant wait until parker as I am at this point now.
luckystattoos@yahoo.com
Thanks, Sheldon
Ah, Sheldon, the season starts in November at Parker. Thanksgiving IS the region 12 SEASON OPENER.........Ming is just the spring race at Ming, and there is also a fall race at ming...........
MP

CircleJerk
03-28-2007, 11:10 PM
Boyd,
All you need to do to be "legal" is get a consistent # of boats together, and submit a rules package. As crappy as our boat count is up here, you could have a "strong" class with 6 boats. For that matter, you can start out as a "local" class (like E-Stock was in the mid 90's) JerK! ;)
Well ya confused me with this! 'Legal'? As yet, Nostalgia is not welcome in Division 10.
Your boat count will double or triple, with our collapse. You should see two or three of us at Moses in April. So rumors have it....
Kip, I know you will personally 'take care' of my family, wont you.

kipperps28
03-29-2007, 08:02 AM
Jerk, "not welcome" is not totally correct. The big issue, as usual, is the prop shaft release. If you have one, you can be "legal" in either SS or PS. However, the entry fee is more than at an Outlaw race, which sucks. I feel your pain, and you guys used to have a bunch of boats, and I had a blast running at your events. Unfortunately, the APBA events seem to be the only game in town again in the NW, so come play with us! We would love to have you!

V-DRIVE VIDEO
03-29-2007, 08:17 AM
why racers are their own worst enemy. If I said it once, I have said it a thousand times, spec rules for Nostalgia racing spells doom. Those that have restored their crafts already have made the significant investment to put it together THEIR WAY, no motor limits, etc. If they (the potential racers)already own the boat and all they have to is buy or rent a lifejacket and helmet and buy a gps (less than $150) how much more simple can we make it. Keep it simple and keep the politics out of it. I won't support the Nostalgia's as their own category in APBA because as soon as that happens the politicians try to stake their claim and ruin it with rules. Nostalgia is supposed to be "run what you brung" not spec motors, leave those spec's for National classes. The racers and I like it this way and it is growing by leaps and bounds- average 5 rookies (mostly in Nostalgia classes) at each SCSC/RPM event. Also, for those that mock it because of the speed limit, I say step up and see how not easy it is to learn to read the water, race in traffic and keep your speed.
Boyd, did you have any luck with the other AOF group (Darren Goerhing's)?
Take care and I also did not want to hijack this thread.
Sincerely,
Ross Wallach, SCSC/RPM RACING ENT.
Ya!!!!!;)
http://www.v-drivevideo.com/jerrysgallery/albums/userpics/10001/Parker%20Pics%20009.jpg

mcfrance
03-29-2007, 11:34 AM
You should see two or three of us at Moses in April.
Awesome Boyd!!!!!
Rich

mcfrance
03-29-2007, 11:37 AM
Boyd... come play with us! We would love to have you!
Kip's right!!!! More boats = more fun!!!!

Sanger D
03-29-2007, 02:52 PM
havent raced apba since the early nineties ,but when I finish my lil' beisemeyer, I think I'm gonna shoe it in the nostaly for a year or two, iffin they still have the class!!!! I would just never forgive myself if she got hurt or worse, since she's one of only a couple left!!!,maybe I'll just buy chris' PS boat instead for playing .

gn7
03-29-2007, 03:18 PM
Ya!!!!!;)
http://www.v-drivevideo.com/jerrysgallery/albums/userpics/10001/Parker%20Pics%20009.jpg
Jerry where did you get that picture, I really need a poster size for my garage, it captures the inner Ross we hold so dear, and makes a killer dart board. Some day that arm and finger are going to lock up just like that.

rossdbos
03-30-2007, 08:21 AM
If the some in our group would do what they are instructed to do at driver's meeting and or follow the rule book!
Normally, I am just an easy going guy, never yells or get's agitated! JK! LOL!:mad:
Hopefully the inner Ross won't have to make an appearance at Parker!
Ross

dmontzsta
03-30-2007, 08:26 AM
I think everyone just likes to get Ross going! :D

FlatStupid
03-30-2007, 08:30 AM
Like that takes any effort!!!:D