PDA

View Full Version : Injured ribs, fell

infotraker
03-27-2007, 12:27 PM
2.5 weeks ago I fell 8 feet off a ladder while trimming a oak tree (don't know how it happend !). Went to hospital cause hurting everywhere. Nothing broke but badly bruised ribs. Anyone else have this happen and how long to get well ? Cann't do much at all. Need to find person who will work for food to follow me around and do everything.

phebus
03-27-2007, 12:36 PM
I've broken ribs a couple of times. First time was a long time ago, and they wrapped my upper body, and it made them feel a lot better. Next time, they said they no longer wrapped them, as it decreased respiritory volume, and could lead to pneumonia.
Both times took a long time to heal and feel better, and if I had to cough or sneeze, man it hurt.

ratso
03-27-2007, 12:40 PM
2.5 weeks ago I fell 8 feet off a ladder while trimming a oak tree (don't know how it happend !). Went to hospital cause hurting everywhere. Nothing broke but badly bruised ribs. Anyone else have this happen and how long to get well ? Cann't do much at all. Need to find person who will work for food to follow me around and do everything.
Safer to hire someone to do that! Might be your neck next time!!!:jawdrop:

That Guy
03-27-2007, 12:41 PM
I'm not talking about how I did it....
After the xrays the doc said nothing broken. Ummm, but it still hurts. Yeah.
He said wrap it in a ace bandage if it feels better, hot pad...
I used that glucosamine and chondroitan, good for cartilige...I'm not sure if it helped or not.
Bottom line, it'll hurt for about 6 weeks and remind you for quite a while after...
What he said....just take it easy and plan on periodically being reminded of this event....like when you move too quick or reach at a funny angle, etc...but overall not that bad and you just have to endure the next several weeks.

Phat Matt
03-27-2007, 01:13 PM
I fractured mine about a month ago. I had 3 weeks of pretty good pain but the doc gave me vicodin and 800mg ibuprofen. They helped. They said it will take about 6 weeks to heal up. There really is nothing you can do except pain killers. It just takes time to heal.

Captain Dan
03-27-2007, 01:17 PM
I cracked a few in Baja a couple of years back, it was about 6 weeks to the day when they stopped hurting. I went out that weekend and fell off a quad and did it again.
About 6 weeks to the day they were good to go again.
If you didn't hurt them too bad, I'd say you have about 3.5 weeks to go.
Try not to catch a cold, sneezing can bring you to tears, if you haven't experienced that already.

RaceFace
03-27-2007, 02:07 PM
I broke a couple of ribs in Glamis in April. I thought I was healed in August....until I decided to play a round of golf......bad move!!! I can't believe what a pain in the ass broken ribs are!!!

That Guy
03-27-2007, 02:11 PM
I fractured mine about a month ago. I had 3 weeks of pretty good pain but the doc gave me vicodin and 800mg ibuprofen. They helped. They said it will take about 6 weeks to heal up. There really is nothing you can do except pain killers. It just takes time to heal.
So they cut your normal daily intake of Vicodin/ibuprofen by 1/2....:D :D

moneypit
03-27-2007, 02:13 PM
Ice the hell out of it... Find a PT or Chiro to Ultrasound it.. I also use a technique called Kinesio Taping that can help take away some of the pain...
Good Luck... But Ice it. 20 mins every 2 hours.

vmjtc3
03-27-2007, 02:43 PM
mx crash, bruised the hell out of the ribs and separated one from the sternum! Christ I thought I would never get better. I could not even move for the first week. After that I could move but not much. Took 6 months to feel ok again. Sleeping was almost imposible. Lortab and ice cold beer thats all I can say !

maxwedge
03-27-2007, 03:43 PM
Yep six weeks sounds about rigght. Probaly you can't cough, laugh, sneeze, ride over bumps or around corners in a car, sleep laying down, breath deep, move certain ways that you will keep accidently discovering as the intense pain reminds you. They really can't do anything for them even if they are broken, exept maybe tape them up, and it still hurts like hell.