PDA

View Full Version : Color Sanding

BrendellaJet
08-05-2002, 01:32 PM
I just purchased an 18ft Brendella Jet, and was curious as to what color sanding can do for me. The boat has been repainted and is in pretty good shape. There are some hairline cracks in the paint which I dont imagine could be fixed, but then there are others that appear to be in the clear coat(top side only) that I was able to rub out some after many coats of wax. The paint for the most part has a gritty feeling, although there are some places where it is very smooth. My question is, does this sound like something that I could sand with 1500 grit, or do I just need to keep rubbing it out? Any ideas/comments are appreciated!

RCM
08-05-2002, 01:44 PM
Your paint is oxidized, my experience with this is if you`ve got enough paint as not to sand thru it would be to water sand it with 1000 grit and then again with 1500 . then use a good grade rubbing compound with a buffer. this has worked for me in the past. RCM

78Eliminator
08-05-2002, 01:49 PM
RCM:
Your paint is oxidized, my experience with this is if you`ve got enough paint as not to sand thru it would be to water sand it with 1000 grit and then again with 1500 . then use a good grade rubbing compound with a buffer. this has worked for me in the past. RCMI would say more like 2000

BrendellaJet
08-05-2002, 02:11 PM
I guess I can start out with 2000 to be on the safe side, although from the looks of it the paint is really shiny and there seems to be a lot of paint on the boat. It seems more like the boat was left outdoors uncovered for a few months, not enough to oxidize, but enough to let some dust and dirt find a new home on my paint job. Thanks for the help!

78Eliminator
08-05-2002, 02:31 PM
BrendellaJet:
I guess I can start out with 2000 to be on the safe side, although from the looks of it the paint is really shiny and there seems to be a lot of paint on the boat. It seems more like the boat was left outdoors uncovered for a few months, not enough to oxidize, but enough to let some dust and dirt find a new home on my paint job. Thanks for the help!Well, TOBTEK hooked me up with the 411. I had some painted on boat name that I didn't want. I wet sanded it down, then used some rubbing compound to clean it up a little more, then polished, then waxed. the area I removed the "logo" from looks better than the rest of the entire boat. Kinda funny... I would go down the same route if I were you, maybe skip the wet sand and just do the other steps...
Thanks again To TOBTEK