PDA

View Full Version : Muffler Removal

socalmofo
03-27-2007, 02:10 PM
I have a Lightning 24xs and I want to remove the mufflers inside the tips.
They look like they are tack welded in there? I called Lightning and they said they are Tig welded in there and would be hard to get out without buying new tips?
Any suggestions?
Thanks!

Beer-30
03-27-2007, 02:17 PM
I have a Lightning 24xs and I want to remove the mufflers inside the tips.
They look like they are tack welded in there? I called Lightning and they said they are Tig welded in there and would be hard to get out without buying new tips?
Any suggestions?
Thanks!
New tips. Buy clamp on mufflers, or go to switchables. I have straight tips and brand new clamp-ons that have never been on. Had them two years, never even test fit them.

socalmofo
03-27-2007, 02:26 PM
No way to get them out of the tips huh?
It is a 496mag and it is just too quiet with those mufflers in there.
And $200 for Tips is Robbery!

Beer-30
03-27-2007, 02:47 PM
Well, without pictures it is hard to say. If I am picturing it right, it is a "cage" inside of a normal tip. It will be welded in there quite well, as marine equipment has to be built to last. If it just fell out without too much effort, it would not stand up to the exhaust environment.
If you can locate the weld(s) and can get to them with a cutting tool or grinder, you can possibly remove them.

ghittner
03-27-2007, 04:09 PM
I've taken them out B4, you have to have patience, it's a process and It freed nothing up in the top end. Sounded much better though. Helluva lot cheaper than a new tip and you can say you did something yourself other than bolt parts on your boat. If that doesn't make you feel good, I don't know what would......