PDA

View Full Version : Water Pump ?????

DansBlown73Nordic
12-07-2002, 05:18 PM
I have run a electric water pump for as long as I have had my Stevens. It has worked great. It is a camper water pump. I used this pump with water logs.
Now the new project. My 73 Nordic will have a set of Bassetts. Anyone have any idea how I can turn the water off automatically till the engine is running? My old set up would turn on with the ignition switch.

Morg
12-07-2002, 06:13 PM
Dan,
I am guessing that your bassets are not jacketed. I have found that if you get ANY water in the bassets before 1500-2000 rpm you will suck water into the motor. I would recomend a force fed (water forced in from the boat moving forward) system & a basset tee.
Morg.

superdave013
12-08-2002, 09:33 AM
Morg:
Dan,
I am guessing that your bassets are not jacketed. I have found that if you get ANY water in the bassets before 1500-2000 rpm you will suck water into the motor. I would recomend a force fed (water forced in from the boat moving forward) system & a basset tee.
Morg.That's a bad way of doing it. If you lift or the engine dies when your moving you get shit loads of water in. Very bad when that happens.
If you want to be high tech about it you would put a Bandrlog water system on it. Flat Broke here on the boards is a dealer for them. They are the most bitching water header control that I have ever seen. A little pricey but was less then new exhaust valves.
I will try to get some info on them for ya.
[ December 08, 2002, 09:39 AM: Message edited by: superdave013 ]

Oldsquirt
12-08-2002, 09:44 AM
Here's the info on the Banderlog Water Valve (http://www.banderlog.com/products/waterInjectionValve/waterInjection.html)
There's a bunch of us running them on our jets here in NorCal. I know Jim Lee has been looking for a v-drive to try it out on, so you may want to contact him directly.

Cas
12-08-2002, 09:52 AM
you beat me to it Craig :D
I was just going to post that link too so I'll post a picture of it.
http://www.banderlog.com/products/waterInjectionValve/images/modualNWires.jpg
[ December 08, 2002, 09:56 AM: Message edited by: Cas ]

ACCEPTENCE
12-08-2002, 11:33 AM
Cheap answer... Put a ball valve in the feed line to the headers, Rex has some very nice ones. Mount it behind the drivers seat on the motor rail and you can turn the water on and of at any time with ease. Pressure tee may not work because of constant pressure from the pump not be in-sink with motor rpms. This valve set up worked well for me for many years. Another thought...MSD rpm activated switch??? Dunno...

Blazerjet
12-08-2002, 07:38 PM
Dan I am also a Banderlog dealer if there is any Info i can help with feel free to give me a call or send me an email i can answer all your questions.
Fred Nelson
209-968-2622
nelsonf@charter.net
[ December 08, 2002, 07:39 PM: Message edited by: Blazerjet ]

wfodude
12-08-2002, 10:02 PM
MSD makes a window switch.Off at selectable low RPM off at WOT for power. use it with electric valves available at farm supply or graingers for a lot less than the list of the banderlog

Heatseeker
12-09-2002, 06:32 AM
I thing Bandelog offers a WOT cut out also. smilespi
[ December 09, 2002, 06:33 AM: Message edited by: Heatseeker ]

DansBlown73Nordic
12-09-2002, 03:29 PM
Well someone e-mailed me today with a great idea. I am going to use a oil pressure switch. They make a switch that makes contact at like 25 p.s.i. I think this will work great. :D
I could use a ball valve, but I would forget to turn it off or on. I know how I forget stuff! eek!
[ December 09, 2002, 03:29 PM: Message edited by: Dans66Stevens ]

superdave013
12-09-2002, 04:22 PM
Dans66Stevens:
Well someone e-mailed me today with a great idea. I am going to use a oil pressure switch. They make a switch that makes contact at like 25 p.s.i. I think this will work great. :D
I could use a ball valve, but I would forget to turn it off or on. I know how I forget stuff! eek! How will you shut the water off at idle?

DansBlown73Nordic
12-09-2002, 04:54 PM
I will get a switch that only makes contact at like 30 or 40 psi. So at idle it will shut the pump off. Im pretty sure I can make this work.

DansBlown73Nordic
12-09-2002, 05:08 PM
I may use a flow control valve. Like from hydralics. I can change the amount of pressure to the switch.
The elctric pump works so good. I have run it dry,done all kinds of stuff without any problems. Try that with a Neovane.... eek!

shirkey4750
12-09-2002, 07:48 PM
Dan
As you know,I have an all stainless tube system. I use an inline adjustable check out of the manifold with a .070 orfices going into the headers. Has worked real well for me. Also have a ball valve after the check for even more control.

DansBlown73Nordic
12-10-2002, 02:47 AM
Yes I know how yours is set up, but you use a pump that pumps only when the engine is running. I will be using this electric pump. I could just put a switch on the dash, But I will forget to turn it on for sure. wink