PDA

View Full Version : picking out this years upgrade on my 73 Tahiti

mike_ct
03-28-2007, 05:16 PM
just a week-day cruiser, good running boat, new motor runs around 4700-5000rpms topped, and i saw 56-57 on the gps a few times..thats with a full bow tank (or around 13-14 gallons), and 2 in the boat (i'm 220, my friend a little less)..
i'm looking for more mph (go figure)
I consider the boat to ride very stable for what it is, i wouldn't say its runs wet, but it definetaly isn't skimming the surface either, i'm sure getting the bow out a it would help a bit, but i dont know at what sacrafice or how much if at all..
things i'm thinking of are (in order assumed affordability :) )
1. new loader grate like the SS
2. nozzle / pump tweaking
2a. place diverter / snoot
3. or maybe just a set of headers to make a bit more top end..

sidewound
03-28-2007, 05:27 PM
Screw all the others and get a diverter to start.
trim is essential.
Peace Man:cool:
CESAR

Devilman
03-28-2007, 05:50 PM
just a week-day cruiser, good running boat, new motor runs around 4700-5000rpms topped, and i saw 56-57 on the gps a few times..thats with a full bow tank (or around 13-14 gallons), and 2 in the boat (i'm 220, my friend a little less)..
i'm looking for more mph (go figure)
I consider the boat to ride very stable for what it is, i wouldn't say its runs wet, but it definetaly isn't skimming the surface either, i'm sure getting the bow out a it would help a bit, but i dont know at what sacrafice or how much if at all..
things i'm thinking of are (in order assumed affordability :) )
1. new loader grate like the SS
2. nozzle / pump tweaking
2a. place diverter / snoot
3. or maybe just a set of headers to make a bit more top end..
Get a diverter. You'll be pissin in the wind without it. Loader grate won't do ya any good right now & unless the pump is just wore out or something, "tweaking" it won't amount to much either. Headers would probably be a good investment, but between headers & diverter, I'd go with diverter initially...

wfoflat
03-28-2007, 06:16 PM
pull out the bow tank?

Oldsquirt
03-28-2007, 06:31 PM
1.) Check out the pump. Make sure the impeller is not banged up and that the clearances are what they should be. Your speed to rpm seems low. No point making other changes to the boat if you are throwing it away with a worn pump. My 73 Tahiti 18 ran mid 60's at about 5000rpm.
2.) If the pump is in good shape, get the diverter.
3&4) Not really going fast enough to benefit from a loader. Headers won't net you much power/rpm/speed. May look cooler and definitely louder.

mike_ct
03-28-2007, 07:27 PM
thanks for your input guys! looks like i'm getting a diverter, thats what i thought..
regarding the pump - there isn't any cavitation, but i know it hasn't been taken apart in quite some time (ie. rusted packing bolts when i bought the boat, and bowl/nozzle painted over, and the paint isn't new either) so i guess i should pull it apart before the season starts and check it out..