PDA

View Full Version : starter issues

mares98
03-28-2007, 10:58 PM
Courious to know what is the correct clearence between the ring gear & the starter gear when the starter is disengauged?

MikeF
03-29-2007, 05:31 AM
I would say.......move the bendix gear in its full forward travel (for engaging into the ring gear on the flywheel and not pushing on the flywheel) and then make all the measurements needed to correctly position the starter on the bellhousing (new mount/spacer....if it is a top mount starter). Not sure how I'd go about a starter in the normal position.

GofastRacer
03-29-2007, 06:07 AM
I always take the drive cover off and remove the spring , then bolt it up to the block(no shims)this way I can move the drive back and forth by hand to engage the drive, if it moves smoothely and don't hang up it's good to go, otherwise I add shims till it moves freely usually one to two shims will take care of it!.. Oh, I'm assuming this is a chevy...

LeE ss13
03-29-2007, 06:39 AM
This is just a little automotive trivia. I mean this only as an educational tool. Referring to a "Starter drive" as a "Bendix", is like calling a pair of "Slip Joint Pliers" a pair of "Channel Lock Pliers", or an "Adjustable End Wrench", a "Cresent Wrench".As we all know, Channel Lock and Cresent are Brand Names. Same with Bendix. The original Bendix Inertia-type engagement mechanism has not been used on Automotive engines since the early '60s. They now use Barrel Folo-Thru, Screw Type, Delco-Remy, etc. So we say "Starter Drive" to simplify things. FYI

DelawareDave
03-29-2007, 08:52 AM
Courious to know what is the correct clearence between the ring gear & the starter gear when the starter is disengauged?
Starter gear to ring gear, disengaged, should be about .100-.140". When starter gear is engaged, tooth clearance should be .035-.065".

DelawareDave
03-29-2007, 08:57 AM
This is just a little automotive trivia. I mean this only as an educational tool. Referring to a "Starter drive" as a "Bendix", is like calling a pair of "Slip Joint Pliers" a pair of "Channel Lock Pliers", or an "Adjustable End Wrench", a "Cresent Wrench".As we all know, Channel Lock and Cresent are Brand Names. Same with Bendix. The original Bendix Inertia-type engagement mechanism has not been used on Automotive engines since the early '60s. They now use Barrel Folo-Thru, Screw Type, Delco-Remy, etc. So we say "Starter Drive" to simplify things. FYI
Isn't this the type "Bendix Inertia-type" that was used on old Fords? The one where the starter gear was about 3/4" away from the housing, with a big spring on the end of the shaft?

LeE ss13
03-29-2007, 11:13 AM
That's the one !!!!

mares98
03-30-2007, 06:20 AM
No matter how much I shim the starter it does not change the relationship between the ring gear % the starter gear it stays .006 thousands. Ive shimmed up to 1/4". Starter is a tilton and the block is a donovan.When the motor is fired the gaers are so close together the gears are arcing. What about spacing the ring gear .30 or so?

GofastRacer
03-30-2007, 07:01 AM
Ok, I misunderstood my bad, you're talking when the drive is not engaged in it's relaxed position, in that case shiming won't do a thing for that, either change starters(unless there's an adjustment for the drive)or space the flywheel out a few thou!..

DelawareDave
03-30-2007, 07:14 AM
The shims only change the tooth engagement depth. They don't move the starter forward or backward. Is the flexplate installed correctly? It seems to me the teeth are offset from the mounting face one direction. There is also a spacer available (Rex Marine) that would be used when changing from a flywheel to a flexplate to space the PTO back out. Perhaps you could use one between the flexplate and the crank. It is about .1875" thick, I think.

mares98
03-30-2007, 07:45 AM
The shims only change the tooth engagement depth. They don't move the starter forward or backward. Is the flexplate installed correctly? It seems to me the teeth are offset from the mounting face one direction. There is also a spacer available (Rex Marine) that would be used when changing from a flywheel to a flexplate to space the PTO back out. Perhaps you could use one between the flexplate and the crank. It is about .1875" thick, I think.
Thanks delaware;
To my knowledge most every flywheel has a small ridge which is installed oppisite of the crankshaft... The same exact starter & flywheel worked perfectly with my blown motor and gen 4 block.But .... I did not pay attention to clearence because it pretty much worked problem free.
BTW the starter in in the normal or standard location. I will continue exhausting suggestions.
Thanks

CARLSON-JET
03-30-2007, 08:02 AM
Are you installing a gen 4 flexplate/ flywheel on a gen 5/6 crank?

rrrr
03-30-2007, 09:41 AM
That's the one !!!!
I have one of those monsters!! :D
Had to get a local shop with an ooooold dude to rebuild it.....:D
Naw, it wasn't 058. :jawdrop: :D

Cs19
04-02-2007, 08:23 AM
Something has to change Mares. Call Tilton and see if they have a shorter gear for that starter. We had to do something similar on the Rogers. I would try to get things sorted out without shimming the flywheel out if possible, if you do end up shimming the flywheel that .187 shim mentioned earler sounds too thick.
Shoot for .030 clearance in the gear meshing and .100 from the face of each gear at rest. I put clay in the gears and roll the motor over to check gear mesh, there are probably better ways to do that but it works for us. The shims you have been using change this clearance.