03-29-2007, 10:21 AM
:eek: ON CAPITOL HILL
Feinstein quits committee under war-profiteer cloud
Report documents military contracts for firms owned by senator's husband
Posted: March 28, 2007
10:05 p.m. Eastern
© 2007 WorldNetDaily.com
Sen. Dianne Feinstein, D-Calif.
Sen. Dianne Feinstein, D-Calif., has abruptly walked away from her responsibilities with the Senate Military Construction Appropriations Subcommittee after a report linked her votes to the financial well-being of her husband's companies, which received billions of dollars worth of military construction contracts she approved.
As reported in Metroactive, an online report from the Silicon Valley, Feinstein's resignation followed six years of subcommittee work during which time her alleged conflict of interest stemmed from her husband Richard C. Blum's ownership of Perini Corp. and URS Corp.
Feinstein, chairman and ranking member of the subcommittee, regularly reviewed and accepted contracts from her husband's companies for not only construction work for military bases, but also addressing "quality of life" issues for the veterans of the United States military services.
"As MILCON leader, Feinstein relished the details of military construction, even micromanaging one project at the level of its sewer design," wrote Peter Byrne in the report. "She regularly took junkets to military bases around the world to inspect construction projects, some of which were contracted to her husband's companies, Perini Corp. and URS Corp."
He suggested perhaps Feinstein resigned "because she could not take the heat generated by metro's expose of her ethics… Or was her work on the subcommittee finished because Blum divested ownership of his military construction and advanced weapons manufacturing firms in late 2005?"
The writer also noted another reason could be that since that subcommittee is responsible for veterans' "quality of life" issues, perhaps she was trying to distance herself from the military's failure to provide decent medical care for wounded servicemembers.
"Feinstein abandoned MILCON as her ethical problems were surfacing in the media, and as it was becoming clear that her subcommittee left grievously wounded veterans to rot while her family was profiting from the occupations of Iraq and Afghanistan. It turns out that Blum also holds large investments in companies that were selling medical equipment and supplies and real estate leases – often without the benefit of competitive bidding – to the Department of Veterans Affairs, even as the system of medical care for veterans collapsed on his wife's watch," he wrote.
The Metroactive report, based on research partly funded by the Investigative Fund of the Nation Institute, noted that as of the end of 2006, federal documents showed three companies in which Blum's financial entities owned a total of $1 billion in stock got $17.8 million for medical equipment and supplies (Boston Scientific Corp.), $12 million for medical supplies and equipment (Kinetic Concepts Inc.), and additional funding through lease contracts (CB Richard Ellis).
(Story continues below)
"You would think that, considering all the money Feinstein's family has pocketed by waging global warfare while ignoring the plight of wounded American soldiers, she would show a smidgeon of shame and resign from the entire Senate, not just a subcommittee," Byrne wrote. "Conversely, you'd think she might stick around MILCON to try and fix the medical-care disaster she helped to engineer for the vets who were suckered into fighting her and Bush's panoply of unjust wars."
Byrne earlier had documented the connections between the dollars Feinstein voted on and the revenue for Blum's companies.
From 1997 through 2005 Blum, with Feinstein's knowledge, was a majority owner in both URS Corp. and Perini Corp., both of which were regularly among the companies awarded major military contracts proposed by the Department of Defense.
According to those reports, from 2001 to 2005, URS earned $792 million from military construction and environmental cleanup work approved by MILCON, while Perini collected $759 million for the same.
Feinstein's annual Public Financial Disclosure Reports record sizeable family income from investments in the Framingham, Mass.-based Perini and the San Francisco-located URS. But there was no acknowledgment of any conflict of interest, according to Metroactive, a "Northern California meta-site" that specializes in arts and entertainment information from area publications: Metro, Silicon Valley's Weekly Newspaper; Metro Santa Cruz; and the North Bay Bohemian.
Byrne also reported Michael R. Klein, an adviser to Feinstein and business partner with Blum, said that starting in 1997 he routinely told Feinstein about federal projects coming before her in which Perini had a stake, in order for her to avoid those votes and as such, a conflict of interest.
However, instead of withholding a vote, she did act on those pieces of legislation, Byrne reported. Ultimately, "the Congressional Record shows that as chairperson and ranking member of MILCON, Feinstein was often involved in supervising the legislative details of military construction projects that directly affected Blum's defense-contracting firms," Byrne's report said.
"Sen. Feinstein has had a serious conflict of interest, a serious insensitivity to ethical considerations," Wendell Rawls, of the Center for Public Integrity in Washington, told Metroactive. "The very least she should have done is to recuse herself from having conversations, debates, voting or any other kind of legislative activity that involved either Perini Corp. or URS Corp. or any other business activity where her husband's financial were involved."
One example was that in 2005, MILCON approved a Pentagon plan to fund "overhead coverage force protection" for Iraq to reinforce the roofs of U.S. Army barracks. About three months later, Perini announced an award of a $185 million contract to provide "overhead coverage force protection to the Army in Iraq."
Byrne noted when Blum divested ownership of URS and Perini in 2005, the conflict of interest was resolved. "But Feinstein's ethical dilemma arose from the fact that, for five years, the interests of Perini and URS and CB Richard Ellis were inextricably entwined with her leadership of MILCON ... ."
The investigation examined thousands of pages of documents, including transcripts of hearings in Congress, filings with the U.S. Securities and Exchange Commission and reports and government audits as well as corporate press releases.
The result? "The paper trails showing Sen. Feinstein's conflict of interest is irrefutable," according to Danielle Brian, of the Project on Government Oversight.
"Because of the amount of money involved," said Melanie Sloan, of the Citizens for Responsible Ethics in Washington, "Feinstein's conflict of interest is an order of magnitude greater than [other] conflicts [involving U.S. Rep. John T. Doolittle, former Speaker Dennis Hastert and others]."
In 2005, Roll Call calculated Feinstein's wealth at $40 million, up $10 million from just a year earlier. Reports show her family earned between $500,000 and $5 million from capital gains on URS and Perini stock. From CB Richard Ellis, her husband earned from $1.3 million to $4 million.
Public records show Blum's company paid $4 a share for controlling interest in Perini, and later sold about three million shares for $23.75 each.
The report also showed URS' military construction work in 2000 was only $24 million, but the next year, when Feinstein took over as MILCON chair, military construction earned URS $185 million. Additionally, its military construction architectural and engineering revenue rose from $108,000 in 2000 to $142 million in 2001, a thousand-fold increase.
In late 2005, Blum sold 5.5 million URS shares, worth $220 million, the report said.

Old Texan
03-29-2007, 10:46 AM
Diane Feinstein, "who'd a thunk"........:eek:
Wonder how the DNC will try to spin this back around to Haliburton or some other pathetic attempt to involve Karl Rove or Dick Cheney.:devil:
Karma Diane , Karma. It always catches up with ya......;)

Schiada76
03-29-2007, 10:55 AM
Grand Jury!!!! Convene a Grand Jury!!!!
I want testimony under oath from everyone!! Her, Nancy Smellosi, their husbands, Teddy the murderer, Scary Kerry all of them!!! They are criminals, we need to get to bottom of this crime, it's crime I tell you! It's treason!!!!!:D Impeach them! Impeach them alll. AAAARRRRRRRRGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!! !!!!!:D

STV_Keith
03-29-2007, 11:01 AM
I can't believe, with all that bitch has done to hurt the law abiding gun owners of America, that she is still breathing. If ANY of her ramblings about gun owners being psychotic, etc had any merit, she would long have been dead.

asch
03-29-2007, 01:04 PM
She has a husband? Poor bastard.
Oh well. They're all dirty on some level or another. But hey... the people have voted and we get the leadership we deserve. Reap the whirlwind. It's gonna get a whole lot worse for it gets better. Hold on tight.
:D

CARLSON-JET
03-30-2007, 08:38 AM
Although the ethics in that article are beyond disgusting here is another article that shows what a scoundral she is/was over 10 years ago when I lived out there. there are many other articles on the gold and land stealing deal. http://www.geoffmetcalf.com/bixman_20010615.html
These are the type of folks I always suggest are being protected and served by L.E. not the average joe. Otherwise things would change.... BIG TIME.

Bow Tie Omega
03-30-2007, 08:51 AM
Grand Jury!!!! Convene a Grand Jury!!!!
I want testimony under oath from everyone!! Her, Nancy Smellosi, their husbands, Teddy the murderer, Scary Kerry all of them!!! They are criminals, we need to get to bottom of this crime, it's crime I tell you! It's treason!!!!!:D Impeach them! Impeach them alll. AAAARRRRRRRRGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!! !!!!!:D
LMAO!!!!!:D :D :D

redneckcharlie
03-30-2007, 02:20 PM
Here, here! I second the grand jury! Everybody needs to be brought in and questioned under oath! And while doing so, build a platform for a proper hanging!:jawdrop: Afterall, isn't this the approach the left wants with the Bush Administration?:devil:

Schiada76
03-30-2007, 05:44 PM
I'm waiting for the "impartial" UJ to jump in and scream about an investigation of the corrupt leftists. I will not hold my breath.:rolleyes: :D :D

SmokinLowriderSS
03-31-2007, 06:03 AM
I've got $10 that says she DOES NOT resign from the Senate.
A republican would, or would be drummed out by the party.
For examples see Abscam Murtha, Cold Cash Jackson, etc.
Hell, Feinstein now has the qualifications to be in a LEADERSHIP position, heading some committee, not just on the committee.

Schiada76
03-31-2007, 06:17 AM
Why of course she'll be driven from office.
This has been all over the news 24 hours a day.
Oh wait, no it hasn't. Business as usual.:rolleyes:

Moneypitt
03-31-2007, 07:34 AM
I think I see something in the future. Ah yes, I'm getting a vision of a government investigation, yeah, kinda hazy.............Oh shit.....it's the IRS. Something about TAX EVASION.......Let's try this together, say "Inmate Fienstein".........Or would she change to her married name to preserve her reputation.....You can't be that shady in bussiness practices and not have at least one little issue with the IRS, and now, whoever named this thread, got it right...............MP
Oops, I thought this was the shit hitting the fan thread.......

SmokinLowriderSS
03-31-2007, 07:53 AM
The IRS shows up
Congress convenes a Special Council and a Grand Jury, to determine who in the Bush administration sicked the IRS on the Senator, Karl Rove most likely, Dick Cheney certainly had a hand in it. There must have been a law broken somewhere
The entire white house will be subpoena'd, every memo and e-mail for 6 years confiscated, interrogated by Chuckie Schumer, Leaky Leahey, John "The Next JFK" Kerry, and Teddy "hic!" Kennedy, and one aide will be tried, convicted, and jailed on perjury charges for claiming they were the first one to e-mail a memmo to Tony Snow about it, but were beaten out by 38 millisecconds (forever in computer time) by another aide, and thus, lied.

Moneypitt
03-31-2007, 08:08 AM
And Fienstein will get immunity from all charges to testify about who tried to blackmail her about it............MP

SmokinLowriderSS
03-31-2007, 08:29 AM
Sure sounds like a likely scenario to me. You're freakin' clarivoyant mp. :eek:

donzi5150
03-31-2007, 09:10 AM
She will be embraced by the women's caucus, given and an award, and voted back into office just like Jefferson in New Orleans.......and what happened to the Democratic Promise of cleaning up dirty politics in the last election? Every scandel with a Democrat does not get the scrutiny the Republicans.....Let's see....Scooty Libby to Sandy Berger, who has been demonized by the mainstream media? Janet Reno to Alberto Gonzales (firing of the Fed. Atty.), Clinton to Bush (Iraq has weapons of Mass Destruction). Each example has been equal to worse by the Democrats but who takes the beating?:idea:

Moneypitt
03-31-2007, 09:46 AM
She will be embraced by the women's caucus, given and an award, and voted back into office just like Jefferson in New Orleans.......and what happened to the Democratic Promise of cleaning up dirty politics in the last election? Every scandel with a Democrat does not get the scrutiny the Republicans.....Let's see....Scooty Libby to Sandy Berger, who has been demonized by the mainstream media? Janet Reno to Alberto Gonzales (firing of the Fed. Atty.), Clinton to Bush (Iraq has weapons of Mass Destruction). Each example has been equal to worse by the Democrats but who takes the beating?:idea:
The "Alpha" dog takes the beatings.........Underdogs are, well, underdogs....Right?............MP

Schiada76
03-31-2007, 04:12 PM
Gentlemen, Gentlemen, Gentlemen! (well except for Ray).
Everyone knows liberals are incapable of committing crimes if you claim they you are you a racist, misogynist, far right wing, Christian fundamentalist slave owner that beats his dog and wants to rape the whales.
DAMNIT!!! Only the Republicans commit crimes and everyone knows it!!!!!:D
Liberals, the scum of this country.:mad:

ULTRA26 # 1
03-31-2007, 06:32 PM
I've got $10 that says she DOES NOT resign from the Senate.
A republican would, or would be drummed out by the party.
For examples see Abscam Murtha, Cold Cash Jackson, etc.
Hell, Feinstein now has the qualifications to be in a LEADERSHIP position, heading some committee, not just on the committee.
Smokin,
I'll take that $10 bet.
John M

SmokinLowriderSS
04-01-2007, 05:35 AM
Noted.
I hope I am wrong, but, looking at past examples, She won't be going anywhere any time soon.
And I haven't found this anywhere in the press.
In a quick search of it online ...... I found it on rushlimbaugh.com,
Metroactive.com,
answers.yahoo.com,
Worldnetdaily.com,
Freerepublic.com,
Libertypost.org,
and an assortment of blogs.
No newspaper entries, no CNN/NBC/ABC/CBS/MSNBC/FOX/AP/UPI, Nothing!
Given 30 days like this, it'll be nothing but a memory, and she'll be re-elected by the loons in Frisco, again.
In digging through some of the historical scandals some norms come to light. There are ALWAYS exceptions, but the typical behavior pattern is as follows.
Republicans tend to apologize, and get treated very harshly by their colleagues (censuring & expulsion), and by their constituents (voted out of office).
Democrats tend to NOT apologize, want to press on like nothing happened, and are seldom corrected by their colleagues OR constiuents.

donzi5150
04-03-2007, 09:55 AM
The "Alpha" dog takes the beatings.........Underdogs are, well, underdogs....Right?............MP
This thread is about Feinstien........Did not know I had to state the obviouse....:idea:

SmokinLowriderSS
04-03-2007, 04:23 PM
Has anyone seen any calls for Feinstein to resign from CONGRESS yet? It's been over a week now.
The orriginal snoop into her "shaky" ethics was reported in JANUARY.
Nope, didn't think so.
You realize she's in charge of the Senate Rules Committee, tasked with regulating ETHICS in the senate.:idea:
I'll pm ya my address after the '08 election ULTRA, so you know where to send it. :D

ULTRA26 # 1
04-03-2007, 04:39 PM
Has anyone seen any calls for Feinstein to resign from CONGRESS yet? It's been over a week now.
The orriginal snoop into her "shaky" ethics was reported in JANUARY.
Nope, didn't think so.
You realize she's in charge of the Senate Rules Committee, tasked with regulating ETHICS in the senate.:idea:
I'll pm ya my address after the '08 election ULTRA, so you know where to send it. :D
Please do, or give an address for PayPal.
John

SmokinLowriderSS
04-03-2007, 05:52 PM
I do have Pay Pal, for that once-a year e-bay purchase (I'm late about 2 year's purchases lately tho) and will keep that thought in mind. Thx. :)

Rondane
04-03-2007, 07:26 PM
Send your address to me too smokinpole, i'll make it $20.00 along with a bucket. :)
the bucket is for you to try to bail out that sinking republican ship instead of sitting here flapping your trap. You seem eager and there just might be enough time if you leave now. :rolleyes:
rondane

SmokinLowriderSS
04-04-2007, 02:52 AM
Send your address to me too smokinpole, i'll make it $20.00 along with a bucket. :)
the bucket is for you to try to bail out that sinking republican ship instead of sitting here flapping your trap. You seem eager and there just might be enough time if you leave now. :rolleyes:
rondane
The bet was with ULTRA Jane, and actually was rhetorical orriginally. A-to-B conversation, C your way out Jane.:mad:
Besides, a lying little fukstik like you would be the first to renig on it.:idea:
How's progress on buying 396's BOAT Jane, so that you can actually HAVE the boat you spent 2 years lying claiming to own?

Old Texan
04-04-2007, 04:48 AM
Hey Smokin', has the oHIo hemmoroid returned? Irritating how they do that....wouldn't think he was smart enough to find his way here. :devil:

SmokinLowriderSS
04-04-2007, 05:20 PM
It's mommy let it off it's leash again. :(

71tahiti
04-13-2007, 10:19 AM
When are they going to Prosecute Jefferson from La. Found all that money in his freezer, got him on tape taking bribe, ect.. I Guess this CHICKENSHIT CONGRESS that we have now, isnt going to do anything to him. As a REPUBLICAN, Im very pissed that REP leadership isnt REAL AGGRESSIVE. Maybe they will wake up soon and get on the OFFENSE.

eliminatedsprinter
04-14-2007, 01:12 PM
When are they going to Prosecute Jefferson from La. Found all that money in his freezer, got him on tape taking bribe, ect.. I Guess this CHICKENSHIT CONGRESS that we have now, isnt going to do anything to him. As a REPUBLICAN, Im very pissed that REP leadership isnt REAL AGGRESSIVE. Maybe they will wake up soon and get on the OFFENSE.
They are too busy hiding under their desks in fear of being called mean spirited racists...:rolleyes:

SmokinLowriderSS
04-14-2007, 03:19 PM
They are too busy hiding under their desks in fear of being called mean spirited racists, by AL and JESSE...:rolleyes:
Filled it in, yep, true.
Cold Cash should be in jail by now, but he will never even be charged. :devil: