PDA

View Full Version : Hull Blueprinting / Gel Coat Question

Ranz1
03-29-2007, 11:40 AM
Im planning on blueprinting and regeling the hull on my CVX20 this season. Ive heard that you should leave sanding marks on the wet area of the hull to trap air bubbles under the boat for less drag. My question is what grit sand paper are we talking and do the sanding marks have to run parallel with the strakes or can they be random? Also couldnt i just leave the orange peel and not wet sand and buff in the wet area and get the same affect? I do not plan on using speedcoat for this project.
This is my first attempt at this kind of work so any info you guys can give would be helpfull

DUCKY
03-29-2007, 12:55 PM
I have tried both, and smoothed out with a sand scratch is better. I recommend going over the running surface after spraying with 220 grit paper on a long board (air file) in the direction of travel, for best results.

Ranz1
03-30-2007, 04:02 AM
SO i would do my blueprinting and then final sand with 220 in the wet area, spray gel and buff orange peel? Or is it blueprint bottom, spray gel, sand orange peel out of wet area with 220 longboard and then buff.

DUCKY
03-30-2007, 06:38 AM
Do your blueprint/straightening, spray your gelcoat, sand it down while constantly rechecking your work, then give the running surface a final pass with the 220 and air file and leave it alone (don't buff). If you are doing the whole bottom, then you can keep sanding the rest, and eventually buff, but leave the running surface dull.