PDA

View Full Version : Eliminator Daytona Speeds

TPI
03-29-2007, 07:49 PM
I am looking for Daytona owner's opinions on prop choice. I have a customer with a 27 Daytona that would like to know if there are any other Daytona owners running HP500's, HP525's or Whippled 500's/525's and what has been your best running prop and speed. I am not looking for that "one time" perfect speed, just your most common best speed/prop combination. Thanks for the help. I will be contacting him in the AM:D

TheCarDudes
03-29-2007, 08:18 PM
I am looking for Daytona owner's opinions on prop choice. I have a customer with a 27 Daytona that would like to know if there are any other Daytona owners running HP500's, HP525's or Whippled 500's/525's and what has been your best running prop and speed. I am not looking for that "one time" perfect speed, just your most common best speed/prop combination. Thanks for the help. I will be contacting him in the AM:D
Gary,
I recently picked up a 25' Daytona with a HP500. I have not done any testing with it. It has a 4 blade 26 on it right now. You are more than welcome to take it out and run it if you need to get some #'s. It is in Havasu sitting next to you know what. ;)
BTW .... the Hot Boat magazine that was given to me with the boat had it GPS'd at 87mph with this combination. I have only run the bought for about 1/2 hr and easily crusied at 70 to 75 mph in normal operating range.
George

PHOTOGLOU
03-29-2007, 09:05 PM
I know of one that runs 140+.. I know that probably dosen't help, Sorry.
BTW... It didn't help me either:D

Jordy
03-29-2007, 10:15 PM
BTW... It didn't help me either:D
C'mon now, run him to Avalon, drink a few bottles of Patron, then race back around 3 PM and the first one to Kantina wins!!!! :D :D :D

TPI
03-30-2007, 05:17 AM
Here is what I am lookong at: My customer has a 27 Daytona that runs approx 84 mph(at havasu) with a 28P bravo and a 1.50 gr on a sportmaster lower unit at 5200 rpm. Seems a little slow. I did a Whipple conversion and now it runs up over 94 mph(at Elsinore 1200ft elevation) with a 30 lab at 5800 rpm. It pulls very hard and runs smooth, but the boat just doesnt seem to lift. It also has quite a bit of blowout going on plane with this 30 lab. I am thinking about trying a hydromotive 28 P5X, but I was curious if there were others with a similar combination and how they ran.

gmocnik
03-30-2007, 05:40 AM
not an apples to apples comparison but for what its worth...
in dialing in my 25 daytona...tried 2 inch shorty...5 blade hering...mutiple prop pitches ...had tons of blowout and could not really get the boat to "lift" at cruising speeds (also open bow so extra weight up there)
finally got it to run o.k with a 1:32 ratio and a 32 4 blade non labbed bravo....
give or take 115 mph at 5200 rpm
the elim gurus suggested adding a 1 inch spacer...dropping the drive an inch made a world of difference...it gave the prop more "bite" and lifted the bow...
my dial in issue was the 60-70 mph "popoise" and it took care of most of that ...
lowering the drive did not seem the right direction to me but thats what worked for me....

cam-shaft
03-30-2007, 06:38 AM
Here is what I am lookong at: My customer has a 27 Daytona that runs approx 84 mph(at havasu) with a 28P bravo and a 1.50 gr on a sportmaster lower unit at 5200 rpm. Seems a little slow. I did a Whipple conversion and now it runs up over 94 mph(at Elsinore 1200ft elevation) with a 30 lab at 5800 rpm. It pulls very hard and runs smooth, but the boat just doesnt seem to lift. It also has quite a bit of blowout going on plane with this 30 lab. I am thinking about trying a hydromotive 28 P5X, but I was curious if there were others with a similar combination and how they ran.
Probably want to look at the P-5 not the P-5X. The X is more of a bow lifting prop for heavier boats. I have found on a 26 eliminator that a P-5 with a ITS and 1"-2" short to work the best for the attitude of the boat. Depending on water conditions is the reason for the difference from 1-2."
Are you running a sportmaster short. If so I would probably run a 1.5"spacer with a 28 P-5 for starters. One of the key with five blades is having enough juice to get the benefit of them. I found the 6 blade Hering as the best however for the money and application a P-5 would be a good option. More blades more stern lift. Higher elevations you may want to allow the prop to run with a touch more slip.
Thanks, Cam-shaft.

TPI
03-30-2007, 07:10 AM
Thanks,
This particular boat is not one I have spent a whole bunch of time around, so I appreciate the input. From what I understand, setting up these Daytona cats can be a little tricky.

BDMar
03-30-2007, 07:45 AM
Single engine Daytonas are far more tricky than the twins. Especially if it is an open bow.....

Daytona100
03-30-2007, 07:46 AM
Thanks,
This particular boat is not one I have spent a whole bunch of time around, so I appreciate the input. From what I understand, setting up these Daytona cats can be a little tricky.
Call Bob at eliminator boats they have tested just about every combination and should be able to steer you in the right direction.

TPI
03-30-2007, 01:23 PM
Thanks,
This drive is a 2" short sportmaster. Kind of explains the blowout issue at low speeds.

plaster dave
03-30-2007, 03:56 PM
Thanks,
This drive is a 2" short sportmaster. Kind of explains the blowout issue at low speeds.
Let me know if he want to sell that lower.

TPI
03-30-2007, 04:12 PM
I think he is going to space it down an 1" and try it. I will let you know though if he want's to get rid of it. The Whipple kit is awesome, and really smooth. He just needs to get the right set up now for his application, and he will really be rockin. Thanks again guys,.............................Gary