PDA

View Full Version : Marine Electric Fuel Pump

psdperformance
03-30-2007, 02:05 PM
I have a 455 olds mild motor just a jetboat cam,rpm intake,and 650 holley carb. My old electric fuel pump died it was not a marine unit. I want to install a marine unit on it now what brands are out there besides a holley? I have been looking a holley's RED fuel pump will it be sufficient? The cheapest i found was $117.. Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks chris:D

squirt'nmyload
03-30-2007, 02:42 PM
i think the holly red should do you good .....thats what is in my boat :)

460 jus getn it
03-30-2007, 02:53 PM
Ask lakes only what he thinks of HOLLEY PUMPS.:D :D
I have heard of too many people having problems with eletric fuel pumps. I run a mech and dont have one bit of problems

psdperformance
03-30-2007, 02:54 PM
is there a marine specific red fuel pump? If so what is the difference?
Thanks chris

psdperformance
is there a marine specific red fuel pump? If so what is the difference?
Thanks chris

GUGS102
Put a good high flow mechanical on it and forget about it. But I suscribe to the KISS method. You also dont have to worry about it quitting on you when the weather gets bad and the water is splashing over the sides. I've seen many pumps get the slightest bit of surface rust on the impeller plate and that's all she wrote.
JMO.
Gugs

YeLLowBoaT
03-30-2007, 02:57 PM
holley does have a marine pump... my guess the diffrence is materials its constructed form and water proofing.
If you have the option I would run a mechanical pump, cheaper and more dependable.
on my pontiac I don't have a choice...I have to run electric( or a belt driven mechanical...)

wet77
03-30-2007, 04:50 PM
I do have a holley black pump thats brand new for $100 if your interested?
I now run a mech pump from racepumps but for that setup your looking at about $450 with the regulator:eek:
I did have a Mallory Marine electric pump that I sold a while back it worked great, just remember to run a bypass regulator or you'll burn em up:devil:

sleekcrafter
03-30-2007, 05:08 PM
The trouble I've found with the Holley pumps is the magnets com unglued. Mallory's have been trouble free for me.

jbone
03-30-2007, 05:48 PM
Based on input from some reputible guys on here, I went with the Mallory 140gpm marine. I was about 150 with a regulator.
J

b's sanger
03-31-2007, 09:44 AM
Mallory. Easy to rebuild too.

BrendellaJet
03-31-2007, 10:23 AM
They last forever. I try to keep it simple. My motor made just as much power on the dyno with a mechanical as it did with the electric that the dyno operator used. Using an electric may sound cool, buit its just one more thing that can go wrong.
But if you want to go with a Holley red, Ive got one that I used for 2 trips before I took my boat apart. You can have it for $75.

76ANTHONY
03-31-2007, 04:26 PM
its usually not the pump that takes a shiat for no reason, what kind of reg you got on your system? if its not a bypass reg then thats why it usually takes out the pump, i had the same issue and was gonna go mech buttt a friend on here showed my a bypass set up and it works awesome. no more issues, i think holley sells a cheap one thats like 45 bucks, and you can use any elec fuel pump as long as it holds enough pressure for your fuel system...oh and mines an olds also:D