PDA

View Full Version : What stuff to buy?

Powerquestboy
04-01-2007, 07:01 AM
So I just bought a new boat with 4 sony speakers and a sony head unit. I want to change it up big time. I want a new head that is Ipod ready, 2 remotes, 6 new 6 1/2's, and an amp to run them. I will also be adding a sub later but I want to get the hi's done first. So.....what does everyone recommed? Who makes a good head unit that has waterproof remotes? What kind of speakers? I have always liked MB Quarts but I'm not sure if there is newer better etc. let me know your thoughts, I have been out of the stereo game for a long time and dont know what new and exciting out there. Thanks

phebus
04-01-2007, 07:17 AM
I just sold my boat, and I'm alreay designing my new stereo system. As of now, it will have an Alpine head unit, Alpine PDX amps, JL subs, and Focal or Boston Acoustics speakers.

Powerquestboy
04-01-2007, 07:33 AM
I just sold my boat, and I'm alreay designing my new stereo system. As of now, it will have an Alpine head unit, Alpine PDX amps, JL subs, and Focal or Boston Acoustics speakers.
Does alpine have transom remotes that work with their head unit? I love Alpine decks.

phebus
04-01-2007, 07:43 AM
The Alpine head units are great, and the iPod interface is the best. You have a few options as far as remotes, and someone posted the other day that Alpine is coming out with their own marine remotes. I'll do a search, and post the link if I find it.

phebus
04-01-2007, 07:51 AM
Here is the new Alpine remote, and it is RF so you don't have to drill a bunch of holes and string a bunch of wire http://www.alpine-usa.com/US-en/products/product_acc.php?model=RUE-M1RF
Here is another remote that I hear works great with the Alpine head unit, and they have a steering wheel mount unit that looks really functional http://www.h2owaves.com/

Powerquestboy
04-01-2007, 08:02 AM
Phebus, thanks for the info I will check those out. That steering wheel mounted remote is pretty darn cool. Those center caps never stay in the stay in the wheel anyway, might as well put something useful in there.

thmper321
04-01-2007, 06:52 PM
The Alpine RF Remotes float also. We tested that about a month ago. The only thing we had a complaint about was that the buttons stick out too far so its easy to accidently hit one of the buttons, like when its in a cup holder or a pocket and something hits a button. We actually thought the head unit was freaking out but it was my beer pressing down on a button.

Magic34
04-01-2007, 08:17 PM
Focal speakers all the way for the highs.

Powerquestboy
04-02-2007, 11:19 AM
Wow...I just talked to someone at a car audio place that told me to buy MB Quart Discus series. Then another place told me MB quarts are junk now since they were sold to Fosgate and now have been sold again to some company named Crunch or some Sh@t. I guess I will look at Focals on Ebay.....

slovolvo
04-02-2007, 01:20 PM
Wow...I just talked to someone at a car audio place that told me to buy MB Quart Discus series. Then another place told me MB quarts are junk now since they were sold to Fosgate and now have been sold again to some company named Crunch or some Sh@t. I guess I will look at Focals on Ebay.....
I have the MB Quart discus series in my boat, and I really like them, but they were purchased almost 2 yrs ago, probably prior to RF's aquisition...

Mr. Naudio
04-03-2007, 02:13 PM
hey rick try the m650ccxw marine by jl audio, those with the pdx amp make a great combination. :jawdrop:

cmikeplay
04-04-2007, 04:43 AM
go Kenwood head.500 or 400 series. u can put 2 dig. read ext remotes. sat ready. very ruged. alpine has bad warrentee so no radio for summer. Focal good if you the money. Arc audio foose design is excelent there grills are tough and u can paint them. Jl from there 1 4 channel for mids and highs. and 1 ohm jl W7S cant get any better.

SS@155
04-10-2007, 06:10 PM
Arc Audio or Memphis marine speakers, Memphis amplifiers (multi-channel), Pioneer or AquaticAV source units and controllers, and you're set... but then again, we might be biased.
AudioShoppe.com

riverbound
04-10-2007, 06:33 PM
I have the MB Quart discus series in my boat, and I really like them, but they were purchased almost 2 yrs ago, probably prior to RF's aquisition...
Rockford aquired MB Quart longer than 2 years ago. I want to say its more in the 3-4 years range (dont quote me on that though) I have used the discus series quite succesfully in a marine install.

thmper321
04-12-2007, 07:53 PM
MB is still being made in Germany where it has been made since well before Rockford aquired them. Now, Maxonics owns MB and it is still being made in Germany with the same engineers and the same staff. Nothing has changed except for the distribution in the US.