PDA

View Full Version : SBC headgaskets

jmherbert
04-01-2007, 12:34 PM
What do you all recommend for the best SBC head gasket?
I am running about 10.5:1, and the Felpro 17030's did not hold up. One grenaded between the middle cylinders, and the other wasn't far behind, in a matter of 10 hours or less runtime. No signs of pre-ignition otherwise. The gaskets looked perfect otherwise.
Anybody have the part # for the cometic SS gaskets? Looking for about .039 crushed thickness.
Thanks

Moneypitt
04-01-2007, 03:32 PM
Something, either the block or the heads, isn't flat......Any correctly installed/torqued head gasket should hold that compression, unless something isn't flat, or the fasteners are stretched into mush...........MP

jmherbert
04-01-2007, 04:27 PM
Block was freshly decked, still is per straight edge. Heads brand new, straight as well. New ARP bolts. One thing, I did not torque per ARP at 90 ft/lbs, was told that could pull threads out of block. Tightened to normal bolt specs.

Machinist
04-01-2007, 05:08 PM
The surface that comes on many brand new heads is not straight, the Edelbrocks sometimes even have a .005" step going through the middle of them due to the double pass surfacing face mill they use.
Other than that, those gaskets should hold just fine.

jmherbert
04-01-2007, 05:12 PM
Im gonna have it checked out where I got them. Their customer service has been great, but one of the heads also has a leaky intake. The shop assembled the heads, they were bare darts.
It wouldn't be the 1st problem with them, the pushrod holes were not machined. I put the motor all together, bolted it together, and the pushrods would not fit. Dart would not even admit a problem. Pictures were sent to them, and they "lost" them. The shop took care of it for me, they were just as upset as I was, probably more because they also bought new gaskets.
I don't think I will ever by darts again.

Moneypitt
04-01-2007, 05:13 PM
Block was freshly decked, still is per straight edge. Heads brand new, straight as well. New ARP bolts. One thing, I did not torque per ARP at 90 ft/lbs, was told that could pull threads out of block. Tightened to normal bolt specs.
You should follow the bolt/stud manufacturer's torque spec. The torque is actually a stretch of the fastener. Failure to follow those instructions will result in what you got, failure. Try the felpro gaskets again, with the proper torque, AND ARP thread lube, and I think you'll like the results. As far as pulling the threads out of the block, if that happens the threads were no good anyway. Any thread failures can easily be repaired with helicoils/keenserts..........MP

jmherbert
04-01-2007, 05:52 PM
You should follow the bolt/stud manufacturer's torque spec. The torque is actually a stretch of the fastener. Failure to follow those instructions will result in what you got, failure. Try the felpro gaskets again, with the proper torque, AND ARP thread lube, and I think you'll like the results. As far as pulling the threads out of the block, if that happens the threads were no good anyway. Any thread failures can easily be repaired with helicoils/keenserts..........MP
Thats what I thought too, but got convinced otherwise by some that have much more experience than me.
What are the thoughts of using headgaskets that have been "crushed" (assembled) but not heated (ran)? I speak of the gaskets that were used to assemble the motor when the pushrod holes were not opened enough.
Felpro says no problem, but I'm not so sure.

Moneypitt
04-01-2007, 07:00 PM
Thats what I thought too, but got convinced otherwise by some that have much more experience than me.
What are the thoughts of using headgaskets that have been "crushed" (assembled) but not heated (ran)? I speak of the gaskets that were used to assemble the motor when the pushrod holes were not opened enough.
Felpro says no problem, but I'm not so sure.
Sure.......I know a couple of drag racers that will re use head gaskets after they have been run 1/2 a season. And although I kept telling them they would regret it, they never did!!!!!!! In your case, they were never really torqued because you short torqued the bolts before.......ARPs are good products, IF you follow the instructions, including the LUBE............MP