PDA

View Full Version : looking to upgrade to a bigger boat

jenndon
04-01-2007, 12:48 PM
We own an Eliminator 220 Eagle XP now and love it. Time to step up and go bigger.
1) Eliminator 28 Eagle XP
2) Howard 28 Bullet
3) Lavey 26 NuEra
2) Cobra 270 Razor (wife wants this one)
motor either a 496 Mag HO or 525
Any thoughts on these boats??

H20 Toie
04-01-2007, 12:51 PM
enjoy the Cobra :)
I would say Howard first then the Lavey
I went from a 20' to a 35' and its the best thing i ever did.

jenndon
04-01-2007, 01:01 PM
It's not ordered yet....LOL

bob briley
04-01-2007, 01:11 PM
lavey first,new wife second :)

jenndon
04-01-2007, 01:15 PM
I want the lavey....She likes the open cuddy on the Cobra.

SHOTKALLIN
04-01-2007, 01:19 PM
Don do you live in Presidio?

jenndon
04-01-2007, 01:20 PM
The housing Track....yes......

SHOTKALLIN
04-01-2007, 01:21 PM
I met you at the Hills house.

jenndon
04-01-2007, 01:23 PM
Yea....whats up. Wanna buy a boat????
lol

SHOTKALLIN
04-01-2007, 01:24 PM
You were telling me you wanted a 29 Lavey. Just go get it and bring it home. Easier to ask for forgiveness then permission.:D

jenndon
04-01-2007, 01:25 PM
I know, I know....I want to sell ours first.

SHOTKALLIN
04-01-2007, 01:25 PM
Yea....whats up. Wanna buy a boat????
lol
No boat in the works for me just yet. Put it in the spam section. This is the season for buyers.

jenndon
04-01-2007, 01:27 PM
It's already there....How are the Hills and the little Hills doing?? We haven't seen them since they came home

Uniqueperformancewest
04-01-2007, 01:32 PM
I would check out a 30ft Adrenaline with a single 525 in it, definetly would be a sweet package. If your interested in checking one out I have one available for viewing. Check it out www.uniqueperformancewest.com.
Thanks John
Unique Performance West, Inc.
www.uniqueperformancewest.com

SHOTKALLIN
04-01-2007, 01:32 PM
They are doing great! Bryce is 11 pounds and Nya is almost 10.

jenndon
04-01-2007, 01:39 PM
WOW, thats great....We were worried about them...I f you talk to them tell them we said hi. Wife home from the store...I have to go unload....see ya

jenndon
04-01-2007, 01:47 PM
I would check out a 30ft Adrenaline with a single 525 in it, definetly would be a sweet package. If your interested in checking one out I have one available for viewing. Check it out www.uniqueperformancewest.com.
Thanks John
Nice boats, but we need an open bow and more of a family boat..

Uniqueperformancewest
04-01-2007, 02:24 PM
No problem we can build an open bow with out a problem.
John

ToMorrow44
04-01-2007, 04:05 PM
I know it's not on your list but if you want an open bow family boat it might be worth your while to look at Advantage, either the 25 or 27. They're not the fastest boats but they have a ton more room in them then any other boat especially the howard. If you want the fastest then the Howard or Lavey Craft, but the Advantage's are a good compromise. Just my .02
-Tom

Family4Day
04-01-2007, 04:09 PM
We have the Lavey and it is a great family boat. We do have a closed bow, great for the kids to sleep under, but the cuddy/open would work for the rugrats to get under as well. It runs great in Havasu and for trips to Catalina. We have the 496HO. As for the others, I have a friend with a 30 Eliminator and it is a great solid boat. I have ran with a Cobra to Catalina. Howard, just read everyones posts and I do not believe you will find a bad comment. The Lavey dash is set up a little different that the Cobra with the Cobra being open and the Lavey having a doorway like the Howard and Eliminator for access under the cabin. Lavey builds a great boat and the customer service is second to none. Good luck with your choice, anyone of the 4 should make you happy.
Todd

Layin' Pipe
04-01-2007, 05:02 PM
I just picked up our 28 Howard Bullett. What can I say, Great custom service, have the 525 in it and Gene and I did 77 the first hour. 26 bravo I. W:) e wake board and tube with the kids and it handles the chop like nothing else. You can't go wrong with the Howard.

jenndon
04-01-2007, 05:12 PM
Thanks everyone....I have known Jeff at Lavey for almost 10 years and he's giving us a great deal. Gene at Howard is a great guy too. Thats why it's so hard to make a choice....The only thing about Cobra is that it's a newer company (so was everyone at one time). We have an Eliminator now and have a few complaints about the service (in the past). Wife's kinda shying away from Eliminator because of that reason (and their price is a lot higher than the rest).

jenndon
04-01-2007, 05:13 PM
We have the Lavey and it is a great family boat. We do have a closed bow, great for the kids to sleep under, but the cuddy/open would work for the rugrats to get under as well. It runs great in Havasu and for trips to Catalina. We have the 496HO. As for the others, I have a friend with a 30 Eliminator and it is a great solid boat. I have ran with a Cobra to Catalina. Howard, just read everyones posts and I do not believe you will find a bad comment. The Lavey dash is set up a little different that the Cobra with the Cobra being open and the Lavey having a doorway like the Howard and Eliminator for access under the cabin. Lavey builds a great boat and the customer service is second to none. Good luck with your choice, anyone of the 4 should make you happy.
Todd
What does your boat run top end with the HO. I know there's a lot of factors...just an average

bob briley
04-01-2007, 07:01 PM
we have a 26nuera open cuddy,496ho with a procharger 3psi ,ran 74 and ran out of speed zone

rodnjen
04-01-2007, 07:19 PM
What about the Essex Raven 27'. Great layout inside and the performance tests are impressive. If I were moving up I would look at the same list but add the Essex.

Family4Day
04-01-2007, 07:20 PM
We run right in the mid 60's(65-67)for the best. Our boat is built on the heavy side with a sink, subs, amps, etc. Runs great and solid. No shakes, rattles, etc. Jeff is a great guy along with everyone there. You will not be disappointed if you go the Lavey route.
Todd

jenndon
04-01-2007, 07:48 PM
looked at the Essex....it's #5 on the list

TheCarDudes
04-01-2007, 08:42 PM
Very partial to Howard. Very, Very Happy.

jenndon
04-03-2007, 08:43 PM
Went to Howard....Love the boat and Gene's a great guy but it's a little to low profile for the wife.
So now it's the:
1) Lavey 26 NuEra
2) Cobra 270 Razor
wife likes both.....
now 496 Mag HO with Exhaust, K&N & computer work
OR
525 ???
:jawdrop:

Concept1
04-03-2007, 08:48 PM
Did you think about a performance deckboat?? Perfect for families...

jenndon
04-03-2007, 09:09 PM
Did you think about a performance deckboat?? Perfect for families...
We wants a cuddy......

sigepmock
04-03-2007, 09:14 PM
I think you would be doing yourself a disservice if you didn't at least talk with John West and look at the 28 Ultra. Great boat and some of if not the best customer service in the business. He's also got a few new boats on the way, like the 26 vee.
We went from a 21 Ultra vee to the 27 Cat and couldn't be happier. The ride is great no matter what the weather or lake conditions do. If our daughter was a little older we'd probably have gone with the 26 deck boat, but the 27 with the open bow is a little more secure than a deck boat.
We have freinds with a 26 Elim Eagle and it's a great boat too but the service they get is no where near the level Ultra provides. I can honestly say that of all the different boat owners we know....there are very few that actually look forward to dealing with the manufacturer ...and most of those that do are other Ultra owners:D
All the boats you listed are great boats....but if customer service after the sale is important....I think it's worth a call or PM to Ultra28.....aka John West.
Good luck boat hunting,
Chris Mock

dicudmore
04-03-2007, 11:31 PM
Went to Howard....Love the boat and Gene's a great guy but it's a little to low profile for the wife.
So now it's the:
1) Lavey 26 NuEra
2) Cobra 270 Razor
wife likes both.....
OR
525 ???
of those two choices...I'd still buy the 28' Bullet :D :D
NOBODY builds a better lake/sport boat than Howard...structural integrity, rigging, performance...every aspect the Bullet wins...
apparently everybody on here has no balls lately...
the other two are nice choices depending what you want...my opinion is that the people at Lavey are great, they do incredible gel-work, and offshore they work outstanding, with the race results to prove it...for lake purposes, don't order one without trim tabs :wink: I don't know of any bottom that is more known to chine-walk than the NuEra's...
The Cobra is a nice package, don't know of any handling quirks on the 27' SHOULD be the lowest priced of the three :D
496vs525...no brainer...525 or MORE. The upgrade is what?? ~16K? Remember that in that upcharge you are getting the exhaust and XR drive, oh and a 1-year warranty...
As Kilrtoy has said many many times, buy the biggest engine you can afford and then go up at LEAST one step from there or you WILL be disappointed...not many people cruising the lake do you hear say they wish their boat was a little slower...
Figure hydraulic steering into your list either way...

In2Deep
04-04-2007, 04:29 AM
Did you consider a Nordic 28' Heat?

Havasu_Dreamin
04-04-2007, 08:03 AM
NOBODY builds a better lake/sport boat than Howard...structural integrity, rigging, performance...every aspect the Bullet wins...
Agreed. While the Bullet is a more low profile boat it rides like a much bigger boat. Gene and Mike are great to work with. Go with the 525 over the 496 HO, you will not be disappointed...

ChumpChange
04-04-2007, 08:20 AM
I know the 496HO runs on 87 octane. Does the 525 need higher?

sigepmock
04-04-2007, 08:22 AM
Nope.....:D

shippingguy
04-04-2007, 08:23 AM
The 525 runs on 87 octane as well. That is what the computer is set for. You are really wasting money running anything higher in it.

Cole Trickle
04-04-2007, 08:35 AM
Depends on what you want to do with it.
If performance is your number one factor I would do the 28' Bullet with a 525
If you need something bigger Cuddy wise I say the 27 cobra
I like the 26 Lavey as well and if the price was great I would probably buy that over the cobra.
No matter what if you have the coin do the 525:D

jenndon
04-04-2007, 08:40 AM
apparently everybody on here has no balls lately...
the other two are nice choices depending what you want...my opinion is that the people at Lavey are great, they do incredible gel-work, and offshore they work outstanding, with the race results to prove it...for lake purposes, don't order one without trim tabs :wink: I don't know of any bottom that is more known to chine-walk than the NuEra's...
The Cobra is a nice package, don't know of any handling quirks on the 27' SHOULD be the lowest priced of the three :D
496vs525...no brainer...525 or MORE. The upgrade is what?? ~16K? Remember that in that upcharge you are getting the exhaust and XR drive, oh and a 1-year warranty...
As Kilrtoy has said many many times, buy the biggest engine you can afford and then go up at LEAST one step from there or you WILL be disappointed...not many people cruising the lake do you hear say they wish their boat was a little slower...
Figure hydraulic steering into your list either way...
The Cobra is a lot more than the Lavey. I want the 525 and full hydraulic steering was already on the list

jenndon
04-04-2007, 08:42 AM
I think you would be doing yourself a disservice if you didn't at least talk with John West and look at the 28 Ultra. Great boat and some of if not the best customer service in the business. He's also got a few new boats on the way, like the 26 vee.
We went from a 21 Ultra vee to the 27 Cat and couldn't be happier. The ride is great no matter what the weather or lake conditions do. If our daughter was a little older we'd probably have gone with the 26 deck boat, but the 27 with the open bow is a little more secure than a deck boat.
We have freinds with a 26 Elim Eagle and it's a great boat too but the service they get is no where near the level Ultra provides. I can honestly say that of all the different boat owners we know....there are very few that actually look forward to dealing with the manufacturer ...and most of those that do are other Ultra owners:D
All the boats you listed are great boats....but if customer service after the sale is important....I think it's worth a call or PM to Ultra28.....aka John West.
Good luck boat hunting,
Chris Mock
Went to the Corona Location....Talked to Shockwave BOB

jenndon
04-04-2007, 08:42 AM
Did you consider a Nordic 28' Heat?
Our friends have one.....wife doesn't care for it...sorry :confused:

jenndon
04-04-2007, 08:43 AM
525 is 87 too

Strippoker
04-04-2007, 08:44 AM
can easly get you a smokin deal on a 28 ultra or you can be the first kid ont he block with the new 26 stealth?

shippingguy
04-04-2007, 08:45 AM
So now it's the:
1) Lavey 26 NuEra
2) Cobra 270 Razor
wife likes both.....
OR
525 ???
If you are leaning towards the Lavey and you have a hookup is there a reason why you do not want to step up to the 2750?? I would also definitely go with the 525. Like previously mentioned you are getting alot more than just the motor. You get the CMI exhaust and the XR drive. Definitely no matter what boat you go with get DUAL Full Hydraulic Steering. Just my .02.

Havasu_Dreamin
04-04-2007, 08:55 AM
Definitely no matter what boat you go with get DUAL Full Hydraulic Steering. Just my .02.
I'm gonna throw my .02 on here as well. The last boat was a 29 ft deep v with a 525, no external steering as the boat did not need it since it never reached the speeds where it would be necessary, heavy boat. The current boat is a 28 ft deck with the 525 and dual ram full hydraulic steering.....I'll never own another boat without it. The steering is so much more solid in the steering with it...

shippingguy
04-04-2007, 08:57 AM
I'm gonna throw my .02 on here as well. The last boat was a 29 ft deep v with a 525, no external steering as the boat did not need it since it never reached the speeds where it would be necessary, heavy boat. The current boat is a 28 ft deck with the 525 and dual ram full hydraulic steering.....I'll never own another boat without it. The steering is so much more solid in the steering with it...
I have to agree. My last 27 Shadow (525) did not have external steering and now that my new one has Full Hydraulic Dual. I will never own a boat without it no matter if it has a 496 HO in it. The boat has a completely different feel to it.

Cole Trickle
04-04-2007, 09:02 AM
Went to the Corona Location....Talked to Shockwave BOB
SWB selling Ultras?;)
Pretty sure you mean Barry:D :idea:

hotlavey
04-04-2007, 09:27 AM
The Cobra is a lot more than the Lavey. I want the 525 and full hydraulic steering was already on the list
Lavey does build a great boat but I'm surprised you haven't looked at Hallett as well. Check with Justin at Hallett for more info and a great deal.

sigepmock
04-04-2007, 09:51 AM
SWB selling Ultras?;)
Pretty sure you mean Barry:D :idea:
:D :D
As StripPoker noted I think Ultra would make you a great deal on a 28 right now.

jenndon
04-04-2007, 09:55 AM
Lavey does build a great boat but I'm surprised you haven't looked at Hallett as well. Check with Justin at Hallett for more info and a great deal.
Talked to Jerry on Monday

jenndon
04-04-2007, 09:56 AM
Full Hyd. steering was going on the boat anyways....That wasn't an option for me......

dicudmore
04-04-2007, 10:00 AM
Full Hyd. steering was going on the boat anyways....That wasn't an option for me......
good decision :D

eman1625
04-04-2007, 10:47 AM
We looked at the Lavey and the Cobra and went with the Cobra. Same situation....Wife liked the open cuddy and it seemed like it had more room inside with the kids in all. Great boat, No regrets!

jenndon
04-04-2007, 11:33 AM
We looked at the Lavey and the Cobra and went with the Cobra. Same situation....Wife liked the open cuddy and it seemed like it had more room inside with the kids in all. Great boat, No regrets!
Thanks....it's hard to decide....looks like it's going to come down to price....so far the cobra is a lot more

Throttle
04-04-2007, 12:41 PM
So now it's the:
1) Lavey 26 NuEra
2) Cobra 270 Razor
wife likes both.....
OR
525 ???
been watching this one before I chimed in... I currently have the Cobra 260 Razor, it was built for me 2 years ago. It came to me as my second Cobra. I could not even begin to tell you how pleased I am with it, those that know me here from the forums will tell you that I am anal about my boat... You will be very pleased with Cobra's 270 Razor. keep us posted...:D

jenndon
04-04-2007, 03:51 PM
been watching this one before I chimed in... I currently have the Cobra 260 Razor, it was built for me 2 years ago. It came to me as my second Cobra. I could not even begin to tell you how pleased I am with it, those that know me here from the forums will tell you that I am anal about my boat... You will be very pleased with Cobra's 270 Razor. keep us posted...:D
Thanks & I got the PM....
Like i said now it's coming down to price....the Cobra is a lot more than the Lavey.
Unless Cobra can work the numbers more....were going Lavey.

ChumpChange
04-04-2007, 03:56 PM
Like i said now it's coming down to price....the Cobra is a lot more than the Lavey.
Hey Throttle, are you resorting only to PMs these days to praise Cobra? :D

Throttle
04-04-2007, 04:30 PM
Hey Throttle, are you resorting only to PMs these days to praise Cobra? :D
you got me...
just givin a helpfull hint and a phone number. i have been too busy spending my spare time commuting... just have not been on here as much to put out the good word... hehehe:D

dicudmore
04-04-2007, 09:46 PM
Don't be bashful dude...you've already got a number from Lavey and Howard...go see Jeff Bohn and or Hernando and let 'em know right where they need to be if they want to sell a boat today...I would start the discussion at 102K with a 525 and full hydraulic steering and see where they go.
What is the base price on a 27 these days??

Lavey29
04-05-2007, 12:27 AM
If you are leaning towards the Lavey, then I would suggest the 2750 over the 26 Nuera with the 525. I am sure Jeff suggested it and you probably already know there is quite a bit of difference in the construction of the 2 boats. With the 2750 you will get a lighter and stronger boat vacuum bagged with decolite material used. Newer faster bottom also. I have a 29 and love the boat quality and ride. Jeff is a great guy to deal with there also along with the other staff...

jenndon
04-05-2007, 06:02 PM
If you are leaning towards the Lavey, then I would suggest the 2750 over the 26 Nuera with the 525. I am sure Jeff suggested it and you probably already know there is quite a bit of difference in the construction of the 2 boats. With the 2750 you will get a lighter and stronger boat vacuum bagged with decolite material used. Newer faster bottom also. I have a 29 and love the boat quality and ride. Jeff is a great guy to deal with there also along with the other staff...
Looked at the 2750...not enough headroom in the cuddy

Lavey29
04-05-2007, 09:20 PM
Oh,,ok,,yes the 26 is fairly tall and probably does have a little more head room in the cuddy then the 2750. Can't go wrong with either of them or really any of your other possible choices. Lot of nice boats to choose from.

jenndon
04-06-2007, 07:59 PM
Cobra worked the prices...closer now...guess it's down to the test drive next week. :confused: :confused:

jenndon
04-07-2007, 08:04 PM
were so confused.....lol

blackcloud75
04-07-2007, 09:01 PM
You can consider this....................
http://www.***boat.com/forums/showthread.php?t=139624&page=4

jenndon
04-08-2007, 07:24 AM
You can consider this....................
http://www.***boat.com/forums/showthread.php?t=139624&page=4
Very nice but were looking to go bigger :D