PDA

View Full Version : need answers

460 jus getn it
11-03-2002, 09:24 PM
im need to know what type of pistons to run in a 460 ford with 92cc heads. any replies will be great......

11-04-2002, 09:26 AM
Need more info....What do you want and expect from the boat/engine? Give us something to work with.

460 jus getn it
11-04-2002, 09:51 PM
058 im looking to get 9.5 to 1 comp. i have just the block, heads, and crank right know everything elese to follow. i want to be able to spin 5100 and have a boat that i can count on day in and day out. any suggestions will definately help me im fairly new to the boat building business. thanks 460

460 jus getn it
11-04-2002, 10:03 PM
058 didnt mention that im over from just jets. this motor is going in a jet boat. i looked for answers there didnt get any replies. hope you guys can help me out. And you circle boat guys are the s---........ THANKS 460

11-04-2002, 10:31 PM
If you are going to run the 92cc heads then you will need a flat top piston to make app. 9.5 to 1 This can be acheved by getting a set of TRW-L 2443F domed pistons and having the domes removed or having a set of pistons made by JE, JE/SRP or Venolia. Check with them for the latest inventory, they have been adding new pistons to their catalog. If you have the open chamber heads [no quench area] I'd advise getting another set of heads, preferrablly the D0VE-C heads [75cc chambers] and use the TRW-L2404F piston with a small dish. Depending on deck height this will give you somewhere between 9.5 and 10 to 1 C/R. The open chamber heads are more prone to detonation and you will need to run better gas and less timing as compared to the quench heads with the same C/R. I don't advise using a cast or hypereutectic piston as they are not as strong as a forged piston.

460 jus getn it
11-05-2002, 09:55 PM
058, all i know about the heads is that they are closed chamber 92cc, model and year unknown. going the shop tommorrow to get the casting numbers of the block and heads to find out the year of both. i think the block out of a 78 3/4 ton but not sure. the connecting rods are stock ford.any other sugesstions of far as internal engine parts.

11-06-2002, 04:33 PM
The stock truck rods [football head bolt and spot faced pads] are good to 6+K with ARP bolts. I've spun them 7K but wouldn't recommend it. The price of Eagle rods have come down enough so reconditioning stock rods are getting to be a waste of money. The stock pre 78 crank is plenty good for jet use and so is the block but main studding is recommended as well as a 10 qt. pan & windage tray and a CJ type pump with the correct p/u for your application. Have the block align honed and square decked as well as bored and honed with a deck plate. Set up the mains with .0032-.0034" clearance and the rods .0025" then do all the usual block prep stuff. Let me know when you do the heads, volumes can be written on BBF head prep.

FLYTE RISK
11-06-2002, 04:49 PM
058:
The stock truck rods [football head bolt and spot faced pads] are good to 6+K with ARP bolts. I've spun them 7K but wouldn't recommend it. The price of Eagle rods have come down enough so reconditioning stock rods are getting to be a waste of money. The stock pre 78 crank is plenty good for jet use and so is the block but main studding is recommended as well as a 10 qt. pan & windage tray and a CJ type pump with the correct p/u for your application. Have the block align honed and square decked as well as bored and honed with a deck plate. Set up the mains with .0032-.0034" clearance and the rods .0025" then do all the usual block prep stuff. Let me know when you do the heads, volumes can be written on BBF head prep.tHAN WHEN YOUR ALL DONE SELL IT AND BUY A BBC.. LOL J/K wink

smalls
11-06-2002, 06:23 PM
FLYTE RISK:
058:
The stock truck rods [football head bolt and spot faced pads] are good to 6+K with ARP bolts. I've spun them 7K but wouldn't recommend it. The price of Eagle rods have come down enough so reconditioning stock rods are getting to be a waste of money. The stock pre 78 crank is plenty good for jet use and so is the block but main studding is recommended as well as a 10 qt. pan & windage tray and a CJ type pump with the correct p/u for your application. Have the block align honed and square decked as well as bored and honed with a deck plate. Set up the mains with .0032-.0034" clearance and the rods .0025" then do all the usual block prep stuff. Let me know when you do the heads, volumes can be written on BBF head prep.tHAN WHEN YOUR ALL DONE SELL IT AND BUY A BBC.. LOL J/K wink Thats What I'm Talkin About :D :D

Monkey Bung
11-07-2002, 05:43 AM
058, YOU KNEW THAT WAS COMING! I hope you ducked. :D

11-07-2002, 09:57 AM
Flyte..get back to work and stop wasting so much time on the 'puter, its turning your brain into oatmeal :D :D :D

460 jus getn it
11-09-2002, 12:19 AM
058, i put the order in for my pistons yesterday. trwl2443f .30 over dome removed. hopefully i can get the installed by weeks end and move on to the heads..... :D