PDA

View Full Version : steering shafts

slotracer
04-01-2007, 07:44 PM
i have a 2004 hd2500 with the duramax in it. i am on my 4th steering shaft
whats the story on them and what can i do under the lemon law?

shippingguy
04-02-2007, 05:11 PM
They have a brand new steering shaft that they are replacing the old ones with. It has a teflon sleeve around it. Also, if you are getting that knocking, loose noise your lower column bearing may need ot be replaced. They put the new shaft in mine and it still knocked. Then they replaced the column bearing and all is well. Column bearing takes them about 20-30 minutes tops to replace.

GETSOME
04-02-2007, 09:23 PM
Where did you take it? And did you have a lift on it when you took it in there?

dicudmore
04-02-2007, 10:17 PM
one option--just drive it...it will NEVER fall off, its just a noise...
regardless of the parts thrown at it, eventually it WILL come back :rolleyes:
MOST GM cars and trucks have that same knock/clunk feel in the steering...

slotracer
04-03-2007, 05:09 AM
took it to chase chevy in stockton. had the shop foreman drive it yesterday and it is the upper bearings. they get changed on saturday n/c:D no lift stock height truck. why would you want to keep driving it when you pay $34,000.00 for a truck you should not have that problem.

shippingguy
04-03-2007, 06:24 AM
Where did you take it? And did you have a lift on it when you took it in there?
I have had the lift on mine since 4000 miles on the truck. That does not affect the warranty on the steering. GM knows they have had a problem on the shafts for a long time. I took mine to Paradise Chevrolet in Temecula.

shippingguy
04-03-2007, 06:24 AM
took it to chase chevy in stockton. had the shop foreman drive it yesterday and it is the upper bearings. they get changed on saturday n/c:D no lift stock height truck. why would you want to keep driving it when you pay $34,000.00 for a truck you should not have that problem.
Gald to hear it has been handled.

slotracer
04-08-2007, 05:31 PM
0k here goes whole new story. bring the truck in saturday and they take the upper colum apart and its the steering housing where the bearing race sits in the housing. seems the race was turning in the housing and not the bearing in the race. so they tell me that they repacked it with grease and thats all the can do. they do not know why it did what it did but now it is my problem. what should i do? i am going to call chevy warrenty 800 # and see if they can help. has anyone every heard of this before?

dicudmore
04-09-2007, 04:53 PM
0k here goes whole new story. bring the truck in saturday and they take the upper colum apart and its the steering housing where the bearing race sits in the housing. seems the race was turning in the housing and not the bearing in the race. so they tell me that they repacked it with grease and thats all the can do. they do not know why it did what it did but now it is my problem. what should i do? i am going to call chevy warrenty 800 # and see if they can help. has anyone every heard of this before?
not me...

LLGirl
04-10-2007, 12:39 PM
our 2005 does the same thing. Drives me crazy. So what is the deal? Is there a permanent fix or is the noise going to come back again later? Wouldn't think it could be too hard to repair??

shippingguy
04-10-2007, 02:14 PM
our 2005 does the same thing. Drives me crazy. So what is the deal? Is there a permanent fix or is the noise going to come back again later? Wouldn't think it could be too hard to repair??
Look at my post #2. I would have to say you have the same problem I did which is common with the Chevy's, but they have a fix now. Mine has been solid ever since.

dicudmore
04-10-2007, 04:46 PM
Look at my post #2. I would have to say you have the same problem I did which is common with the Chevy's, but they have a fix now. Mine has been solid ever since.
if you trade trucks like you trade boats--you'll have sold it before the noise comes back :cool:

shippingguy
04-10-2007, 05:46 PM
if you trade trucks like you trade boats--you'll have sold it before the noise comes back :cool:
Come on now. I have had this truck for a little over a year and a half. That ties if not exceeds my boats. I love this truck and do not see me getting rid of it any time soon.:D

Mandelon
04-10-2007, 06:34 PM
My 04 Silverado does this too. They said it was the bearing, but not under warranty. They fixed some strut or something, but it still knocks, but less.

slotracer
04-10-2007, 06:45 PM
this is not the shaft that has been replaced 4 times already.
its the housing it self. its just as bad now if not worse. have not
call checy yet but will tomorrow and see what they say. the dealer
tells me he has never seen this before and a new housing is $875.00
i will post up what chevy says about it.

slotracer
04-11-2007, 08:33 AM
well here's the story even though its been on going since i got the truck and i now have 148,000 miles chevy say's tough $hit. i have been working for this company for 29 years and always buying chevy trucks it does matter to chevy. oh well looks like i go else where when it comes time to buy another company truck.

superdave013
04-11-2007, 08:41 AM
you want to lemon law a truck with 148,000 miles??
wow

slotracer
04-11-2007, 09:37 AM
this started with less than 49,000 miles on it and i had it only 12 months when it first went in for the noise in the steering. i have gone through either 4 or 5 shafts already. would that not tell you something else was wrong? even one of the service writers said it was not the shaft but the tech changed it anyway. they always think its the shaft when there is a noise in the steering. 148,000 miles is nothing when you drive 70 miles just to work and back home everyday then drive 250 on fridays doing payroll th o the jobsites. add that up 460 miles monday to friday only. that does not included any trips to the lake or anything else.