PDA

View Full Version : Lightning header question

Bahner tunnel
04-02-2007, 07:00 AM
Today is the day to break the piggy bank and order some Lightnings for my latest project boat. Does any one run the "reduced water" version of the jet boat style Lightnings ? I have a Mark IV 496 with a fairly large solid roller cam (264 x 272 @ .050" ) and have reversion concerns at idle. Any reason why this shouldn't help my application? Thanks for any replies in advance.

widowmaker
04-02-2007, 07:11 AM
Today is the day to break the piggy bank and order some Lightnings for my latest project boat. Does any one run the "reduced water" version of the jet boat style Lightnings ? I have a Mark IV 496 with a fairly large solid roller cam (264 x 272 @ .050" ) and have reversion concerns at idle. Any reason why this shouldn't help my application? Thanks for any replies in advance.
When I spoke to them about ordering headers, I had mine custom done and they lengthened the collector about 6 inches so that the water would mix with the exhaust even farther away from the motor to help with reversion. When you order them, call Lightning directly and talk to them they will be able to give you info that you need.

brad22
04-02-2007, 05:58 PM
Yes that duration is very high for using stock Lightning's I would call CP Performance with you cam specs and see what they recommend. 800-225-9871. Sometimes Jay is a tough guy to get a hold of :D

lucky
04-03-2007, 07:01 AM
another thing i wish i would have done is opt for the pre water warm up

Jetaholic
04-03-2007, 07:08 AM
I thought Lightning headers were water "jacketed" and not water "injected", which would mean that the water doesn't go through the actual exhaust pipe itself, which would eliminate the worry of reversion.

CP Dad
04-03-2007, 07:48 AM
They are jacketed, but the water eventually mixes with the exaust when it leaves the collector and into the hose. I don't know what the extra cost would be to get longer collectors, but I would do it. Nothing worse than getting it all set up and finding milk or worse. I'm pretty sure reversion had alot to do with my valve letting go at 6 hrs (stainless Merlin heads). I had the Dana manifolds with a standard elbow and alot less cam than that........ Just my .02......... Good luck with it. Btw, what does a new set go for now?

flat broke
04-03-2007, 08:18 AM
Why would someone call CP to get information on Lightnings when they can just call Lightning direct and get exactly what you need and info from the horses mouth? Talk to Jan over at lightning, give him your cam specs and he'll ask what he needs to ask to make the best recommendation he can for your particular situation. Back when I was running an assload of duration and overlap with a flat tappet setup, I had Jan build me a set with longer collectors, and I have had zero problems with the headers or reversion. For the $$$ you're not going to get better performance out of a jacketed setup.
Chris

brad22
04-03-2007, 08:48 AM
Why would someone call CP to get information on Lightnings when they can just call Lightning direct and get exactly what you need and info from the horses mouth? Chris Like I said in the above post, sometimes Jay is a tough guy to get a hold of and CP Performance is about as close as you can get to Lightning without actually talking direct. They might also be able to offer you an alternative that Lightning headers cant. Plus they can get you a better deal dummy!! :) :) Win Win situation :D

FOURQ
04-03-2007, 09:15 AM
Like I said in the above post, sometimes Jay is a tough guy to get a hold of and CP Performance is about as close as you can get to Lightning without actually talking direct. They might also be able to offer you an alternative that Lightning headers cant. Plus they can get you a better deal dummy!! :) :) Win Win situation :D
Who the hell is Jay?? its Jan

brad22
04-03-2007, 09:27 AM
Who the hell is Jay?? its Jan
Jan AKA Jay or J.

Bahner tunnel
04-26-2007, 06:06 PM
I ended up with the reduced water/ pre heated style with advice from CP. They were 2k (1850+150 preheat option) I bought tips and 3' of exhaust hose. Ended up be just over $2550 all together( $90 shipping).
Cp had them in stock and less than Lightning qouted to me on the phone.
Cp they were starting at 1850.
Lightning said they start at 2k and go from there+ a min 1 week leadtime.
I'm an impatient bastard and had to get them soone rto met my interior appt.
To deal with revertion I plan to run a Bassett "T" going to the collector for a dry idle. The headers are pretty trick (and heavy) if you haven't seen the reduced water style. The cap off the colector about 6-8" from the exit and have the water exit througha 3/4" pipe outlet to the motor for the pre heat. The rear of the collector has another 3/4" pipe fitting where you can limit the water that see's the inside of the collector/exhaust stream . I plan to run a Bassett "T" valve for the rear collector water supply for a "dry idle" similar to a injected header. This will be inline with my -08 overboard dump line. So 2/3 of the water should dump over and the remaining will cool the exhaust stream and prevent buring the 4" hoses while underway.
This is the way it works out in my head, it may be incorrect but it sounds somewhat logical.?:D Has anyone plumbed this style Lightning before?