PDA

View Full Version : Tempeture queastion?

raisinL
04-02-2007, 01:56 PM
My buddy has a 78 tahiti with a panther pump running a 360 amc. At idle its hardly has any water flow. runs about 220 degrees. Though it cools down to 160 after a blast. Is it possiable to have sand in the block? Thanks

Some Kind Of Monster
04-02-2007, 02:06 PM
My buddy has a 78 tahiti with a panther pump running a 360 amc. At idle its hardly has any water flow. runs about 220 degrees. Though it cools down to 160 after a blast. Is it possiable to have sand in the block? Thanks
Is there a valve or thermostat limiting the water flow? Sounds more likely to be the case. Sand can cause a spot-overheating problem, but usually does not show much of a change at the temp sender. Check for other restrictions.

raisinL
04-02-2007, 02:11 PM
We can hook a garden hose and it will idle cool and water flow is good. There is no flow regulator or t stat on the motor. Thanks

Some Kind Of Monster
04-02-2007, 02:18 PM
What size are your inlet and dump lines? Are you running logs for exhaust?

raisinL
04-02-2007, 02:27 PM
5/8th heater hose and running logs exhaust. When he 1st got it it didnt run that hot so that why we figure it may be sand collecting. It gets water presure from the pump could the pick up tube be damaged? Thanks

twowheeledfish
04-02-2007, 04:40 PM
Pull the block plugs and see if any sand comes out. If so, flush away.

SmokinLowriderSS
04-02-2007, 04:43 PM
Damaged is unlikely, partly clogged is my concern. That is idling WAAAAY too hot. Fix it, unless you want to burn up head gaskets, and maybe more pricey parts.
Is the pump worn and not pushing water very well? Berks and others like them have positive water pressure feed from the high-pressure side of the impeller. A rock in the impeller destroying flow/pressure creation will cause overheating often.

raisinL
04-03-2007, 04:50 AM
Damaged is unlikely, partly clogged is my concern. That is idling WAAAAY too hot. Fix it, unless you want to burn up head gaskets, and maybe more pricey parts.
Is the pump worn and not pushing water very well? Berks and others like them have positive water pressure feed from the high-pressure side of the impeller. A rock in the impeller destroying flow/pressure creation will cause overheating often.
This may be the problem After all the boat is almost 30 years old it may need a rebuild. Thanks for your replies I was telling our newest member under pressure if something needs to be answered this be the place to ask questions Thanks again. And welcome don.

Some Kind Of Monster
04-03-2007, 08:00 AM
It wouldn't hurt to pop the freeze plugs and check for sand. I have seen blocks drain a couple pounds of sand before. I would pull your cooling hoses and try to blow through them to check for blockage. As mentioned, also check the pump :)

Cas
04-03-2007, 08:37 AM
Yes, sand could be the culprit.....in the logs. The inlet water line from the pump should be going to a tee and then to the front of each log. If it is set-up that way, there's a real good chance the logs are getting clogged.
The other area to look at is the exit lines, if they are not letting enough water out the temp can still rise due to the lack of water flow.
The easy way to find out is to just back flush the hoses/logs and the line from the pump. Make sure you disconnect the lines to the engine just in case there is sand in the logs, you don't want to flush it into the engine.

wickedfab
04-03-2007, 09:03 AM
add another dump line. i had the same problem in my boat. there was not enough water flowing through at idle. now i have two dumps and runs 160 at idle all day

twowheeledfish
04-03-2007, 01:36 PM
I'm gonna go with Cas here.... its the sand, man. My boat's previous owner managed to plug the logs so badly with sand that the water jackets melted. No joke.
Yes, sand could be the culprit.....in the logs. The inlet water line from the pump should be going to a tee and then to the front of each log. If it is set-up that way, there's a real good chance the logs are getting clogged.
The other area to look at is the exit lines, if they are not letting enough water out the temp can still rise due to the lack of water flow.
The easy way to find out is to just back flush the hoses/logs and the line from the pump. Make sure you disconnect the lines to the engine just in case there is sand in the logs, you don't want to flush it into the engine.

Some Kind Of Monster
04-03-2007, 01:51 PM
add another dump line. i had the same problem in my boat. there was not enough water flowing through at idle. now i have two dumps and runs 160 at idle all day
If there is little water coming out of one line, what is two going to do?

wickedfab
04-03-2007, 02:52 PM
sorry im a dumbass i missed that part....i change my answer to the sand.....:)

wickedfab
04-03-2007, 02:54 PM
sorry im a dumbass i missed that part....i change my answer to the sand.....:)

SmokinLowriderSS
04-03-2007, 04:25 PM
I'm gonna go with Cas here.... its the sand, man. My boat's previous owner managed to plug the logs so badly with sand that the water jackets melted. No joke.
Holy crap!!!!!!!! :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

twowheeledfish
04-04-2007, 06:20 PM
Holy crap!!!!!!!! :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:
Oh, it gets better. Once the water jackets melted, the jet pump started forcing water into the engine via the exhaust valves. Needless to say, I purchased the boat for a steal, and spent tons of time fixing. When all was fixed, I ran the 460 Ford all summer long, 3 days per week minimum, with not so much as a hiccup.

1968Droptop
04-04-2007, 06:31 PM
We can hook a garden hose and it will idle cool and water flow is good. There is no flow regulator or t stat on the motor. Thanks
Why will the garden hose keep it nice and cool, but the pump won't ? Sounds like a water supply problem to me. That's ass-u-ming the garden hose fitting is in between the pump and the engine :confused: Not overly familiar with Panther pumps, but they've got to flow at least as much as a garden hose right ? And if the garden hose had that much more pressure, wouldn't some sand get flushed out when he turned on the water ?

raisinL
04-05-2007, 02:01 AM
Why will the garden hose keep it nice and cool, but the pump won't ? Sounds like a water supply problem to me. That's ass-u-ming the garden hose fitting is in between the pump and the engine :confused: Not overly familiar with Panther pumps, but they've got to flow at least as much as a garden hose right ? And if the garden hose had that much more pressure, wouldn't some sand get flushed out when he turned on the water ?
Bingo and Yes good call it what we were discussing this the other day. Where does it get it's supply of water a pickup tube in the pump? Maybe that is damaged but under load its fine. Flow is weak at idle pump has plenty of thrust so it can be that. Thanks

Cas
04-05-2007, 07:07 AM
If you have a gate valve in on the pump, check that out. I've seen many of those deteriorate to the point the gate will hang up and become unadjustable.
It's also possible a little rock has gotten into the line at the pump. Again, backflushing may clear out the lines.

edog_103
04-05-2007, 07:29 AM
I had the same problem. In my case it was the Aluminum Tee. The aluminum had water sitting in it over the winter and had some corrosion. Cleaned the tee, now it idles at 140 and runs at 110. Alslo check the fittings that mount to the logs, make sure they are clean.

Bow Tie Omega
04-05-2007, 07:46 AM
I had the same problem. In my case it was the Aluminum Tee. The aluminum had water sitting in it over the winter and had some corrosion. Cleaned the tee, now it idles at 140 and runs at 110. Alslo check the fittings that mount to the logs, make sure they are clean.
Running at 110, that is pretty cold, you might want to check that out

edog_103
04-05-2007, 09:30 AM
I think my only option is to put a valve in the waterline and restrict the flow a little.

SmokinLowriderSS
04-05-2007, 03:35 PM
I think my only option is to put a valve in the waterline and restrict the flow a little.
Yep, most jets are set up that way.

twowheeledfish
04-05-2007, 07:57 PM
Yep, most jets are set up that way.
Mine is set up in this fashion. Its wide open and runs way too cool. I'm going to toy this summer with restricting the flow to gain some engine temp. Anything I should be cautious about?

Cas
04-05-2007, 09:11 PM
Mine is set up in this fashion. Its wide open and runs way too cool. I'm going to toy this summer with restricting the flow to gain some engine temp. Anything I should be cautious about?
I opened the valve all the way then closed it down counting how many full turns it took to close. I then backed it out 1/2 as many plus 1. I then turned it in 1/4 turn at a time while watching the temp gauge...it takes a little time for the engine temp to rise. I set mine so it idles about 175ยบ or so and at cruising speed around 150ish.