PDA

View Full Version : Trident Revolution Test Rides!

Froggystyle
02-04-2006, 05:56 PM
Will be going out in the morning (Sunday) for some puttering around on San Vincente. If anyone wants to come take a ride, you are welcome.
We will be doing this a couple of times a month hopefully here for those who can't make it.
Look forward to seeing some folks. Probably go out between 8:00 and 12:00 or so. If anyone wants to take us up on it, call me at (619) 823-5643 on my cell. Cell coverage is sketchy on the lake, so if I don't answer, that is where I am.
Squirts up!
Wes

Debbolas
02-04-2006, 06:04 PM
DAM!
I would so LOVE to do this.............but we have Boy Scouts at Church and then Scouts at the house for Super Bowl and Poker :crossx:
Have fun, and take LOTS of pics
:D

Havasu Hangin'
02-04-2006, 06:48 PM
Is there a PWC ramp at San Vincente? :idea:

hoolign
02-04-2006, 07:23 PM
Can ya pick a guy up on the way????

spectras only
02-04-2006, 08:21 PM
Is it going to be sunny :)

Froggystyle
02-05-2006, 11:25 AM
What a beautiful morning to be out. Had the lake to ourselves...
Well... it is on like Donkey Kong! The new Dual Drive with the dry sump is flat out awesome. No noise, no heat, no worries. Plus, with the underdrive gears we are really able to pull some just bitchin accelleration out of her.
So, anyone in the SD area is welcome to come by anytime for a ride. The boat works great, the ramp was so trick it isn't even funny, and although it did suck having to put it in on the PWC ramp, it wasn't the end of the world...
Bring the kids... the boat is a blast.

Froggystyle
02-06-2006, 09:24 AM
OK... Wednesday we are going out. If anyone wants a ride, drop a line. We had a couple folks come out on Sunday and we had a blast.
Boats number 2 and 3 are officially for sale, so come on down!

MR HARLEY
02-06-2006, 09:27 AM
~Wes~,
Other than Wednesday are there any plans for a weekend demo coming soon like this weekend :)
Congrats on your run!!

al cole'holic
02-06-2006, 09:36 AM
OK... Wednesday we are going out. If anyone wants a ride, drop a line. We had a couple folks come out on Sunday and we had a blast.
...in Diego??

tamalewagon
02-06-2006, 09:39 AM
Congratulations on the successful trial runs Wes! That's a beautiful boat you're making...just curious, what are the specs, length etc...?

Cole
02-06-2006, 09:56 AM
I know the acceleration is GREAT...but what I am really wondering is what the top end is with the dual jet!!
again i am completey sold on the pulling power, the slam you against the seat out of the hole acceleration.....but you seem to skate around the top end numbers!!!! Your boat came out beautiful, but having talked to R and D marine over the years and watching the dual jet project from the inception , I am really curious how it has performed.....top end!

Froggystyle
02-08-2006, 11:18 AM
I know the acceleration is GREAT...but what I am really wondering is what the top end is with the dual jet!!
again i am completey sold on the pulling power, the slam you against the seat out of the hole acceleration.....but you seem to skate around the top end numbers!!!! Your boat came out beautiful, but having talked to R and D marine over the years and watching the dual jet project from the inception , I am really curious how it has performed.....top end!
Haven't gone as fast as the boat will go yet frankly. Just hooked the GPS back up today.
Plus, we are selling the boat at 75 mph. That is stock. What it does from there will not be advertised anywhere by me for a hundred good reasons.
But, for arguments sake... it does 75 at 4400 RPMs. We just turned 5800 with it on Sunday.
Going out again today, tomorrow and Saturday. One of these days we will be headed to the bay, so if anyone wants to join... give me a call!

Froggystyle
02-08-2006, 11:19 AM
~Wes~,
Other than Wednesday are there any plans for a weekend demo coming soon like this weekend :)
Congrats on your run!!
We have three different folks coming down this weekend.. The more the merrier.
C'mon down Craig.

HighRoller
02-08-2006, 11:22 AM
Wes, I saw the shifter and the two buttons. Does each nozzle have its own trim control? If so, does each nozzle have a trim indicator so you can keep them close to the same level, or do you just eyeball it?

MR HARLEY
02-08-2006, 11:29 AM
C'mon down Craig.
:idea: Thanks , Ill be in touch Wes!

Froggystyle
02-08-2006, 11:32 AM
Wes, I saw the shifter and the two buttons. Does each nozzle have its own trim control? If so, does each nozzle have a trim indicator so you can keep them close to the same level, or do you just eyeball it?
The trim buttons are up and down. The hydraulic system controls both at the same time. Hydrodynamics do a great job leveling them perfectly.

HighRoller
02-08-2006, 12:43 PM
Okay, now I see. I looked at the thumbnail at first and it looked like two rocker switches. Should have looked at the full sized pic...How big of a tail does that thing make at 5800RPM???? :sqeyes:

Froggystyle
02-08-2006, 12:52 PM
Okay, now I see. I looked at the thumbnail at first and it looked like two rocker switches. Should have looked at the full sized pic...How big of a tail does that thing make at 5800RPM???? :sqeyes:
Big.

Cole
02-08-2006, 01:05 PM
Haven't gone as fast as the boat will go yet frankly. Just hooked the GPS back up today.
Plus, we are selling the boat at 75 mph. That is stock. What it does from there will not be advertised anywhere by me for a hundred good reasons.
But, for arguments sake... it does 75 at 4400 RPMs. We just turned 5800 with it on Sunday.
Going out again today, tomorrow and Saturday. One of these days we will be headed to the bay, so if anyone wants to join... give me a call!
Thats great Wes!!!!
I would have to imagine with the right set up and everything dialed in.. that 100mph run should be in the near future!!! :D
love to see the boat sometime!!!!

Froggystyle
02-08-2006, 01:12 PM
Thats great Wes!!!!
I would have to imagine with the right set up and everything dialed in.. that 100mph run should be in the near future!!! :D
love to see the boat sometime!!!!
I dunno. We don't have any underwater hardware on yet at all. No loaders, no grates or anything. Nothing but potential left. Come by any time...

DCBDaytona
02-08-2006, 01:52 PM
Let me know when you'll have a demo run in Havasu. I'd like to check it out.

BarryMac
02-08-2006, 01:56 PM
C'mon down Craig.
What time and do I get to drive??? :D :D :D

Brady Bunch
02-08-2006, 02:27 PM
Come on now Barry...... We have all seen your driving! :)

Froggystyle
02-08-2006, 02:34 PM
Any time, and yes.

HighRoller
02-08-2006, 03:21 PM
So since we've seen the forward/reverse setup, what does the throttle pedal look like??

Froggystyle
02-08-2006, 05:13 PM
So since we've seen the forward/reverse setup, what does the throttle pedal look like??
The trick Lightning unit. Why re-invent the wheel...

Froggystyle
02-08-2006, 08:44 PM
OK, we are almost certainly going out on the bay on Saturday if anyone wants to come. If you haven't been boating on the bay, come on out... it is a blast!

weekendwarrior
02-08-2006, 08:49 PM
OK, we are almost certainly going out on the bay on Saturday if anyone wants to come. If you haven't been boating on the bay, come on out... it is a blast!
Ok, so it took me a little bit to come around but that thing is bad. Good job Wes. Post some pictures. I'd like to see some of the feaures.

Froggystyle
02-08-2006, 09:19 PM
Ok, so it took me a little bit to come around but that thing is bad. Good job Wes. Post some pictures. I'd like to see some of the feaures.
There are a ton of pics on our new gallery at Trident Gallery (http://www.tridentboats.com/trident_boats_gallery/main.php) .
Thanks for the good words. You need to come check it out in person!

al cole'holic
02-08-2006, 09:27 PM
...it would be a blast for you to take her out and up to Channel Islands, I'll be at B dock ready for the test ride :)

wsuwrhr
02-08-2006, 10:15 PM
Any time for a Thursday boat ride?
Brian

Froggystyle
02-09-2006, 08:29 AM
Any time for a Thursday boat ride?
Brian
Sure. Bring billet!

Froggystyle
02-09-2006, 09:28 PM
Went out again today. Everyone was testing at San V today... Lots of really nice boats for sure.
67 with 8 people at a very easy pace. Didn't push it today at all, but did run very, very well. Can't wait to uncork this thing and see what happens.
Good to see Brian come down with some awesome billet parts to be put in the second boat.
Feels nice to finally be in production!

al cole'holic
02-11-2006, 11:46 AM
There are a ton of pics on our new gallery at Trident Gallery (http://www.tridentboats.com/trident_boats_gallery/main.php) .
Thanks for the good words. You need to come check it out in person!
..any new pics with the front ramp??

clownpuncher
02-11-2006, 11:58 AM
Looks great Wes. Can't wait for a ride. I want your car too :p

phebus
02-11-2006, 12:05 PM
..any new pics with the front ramp??
Ditto. After seeing the boat, and the attention to detail, I am really interested in seeing how the ramp install went.

wsuwrhr
02-11-2006, 03:29 PM
Went out again today. Everyone was testing at San V today... Lots of really nice boats for sure.
67 with 8 people at a very easy pace. Didn't push it today at all, but did run very, very well. Can't wait to uncork this thing and see what happens.
Good to see Brian come down with some awesome billet parts to be put in the second boat.
Feels nice to finally be in production!
Anytime Wes,
I am happy to be part of the team, the boat ride was icing on the cake.
Brian

Froggystyle
02-13-2006, 10:13 AM
Ditto. After seeing the boat, and the attention to detail, I am really interested in seeing how the ramp install went.
Here are a couple links to pics in our gallery.
This weekend was a chore... We went to the bay, and what looked sunny and beautiful from the bridge turned out to be rough as a cob and windy as hell. Combine that with Ferry boat wakes up the ying yang and you have a less than perfect day on the water...
I think I will stick to the river. Everyone on the bay was wearing turtlenecks and jackets. I like thongs and pasties infinitely better.
Plus, ferry boat wakes are only fun when you are moving. Once stopped it means getting wet! Another hot tip... don't travel with the ramp down! What that makes is a water shovel like every other deck boat. Having the ability to close that front off is so awesome.
All in all, it would have been a day on the bay better spent in a 40' Skater, but such is life.

phebus
02-13-2006, 10:34 AM
Wes, can you post some pics of the boat with the ramp installed?

Froggystyle
02-13-2006, 01:00 PM
Wes, can you post some pics of the boat with the ramp installed?
Sorry, thought I linked them...
Here are some from this weekend...
http://www.tridentboats.com/trident_boats_gallery/main.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_itemId=684&g2_serialNumber=2
And one on the beach...
http://www.tridentboats.com/trident_boats_gallery/main.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_itemId=696&g2_serialNumber=2

Tom Brown
02-13-2006, 01:32 PM
That is a fabulous looking boat. :cool:

MR HARLEY
02-13-2006, 01:42 PM
Looking good!!

Froggystyle
02-13-2006, 01:47 PM
Looking good!!
Thanks! Which color did you want again? ;)

MR HARLEY
02-13-2006, 01:53 PM
Thanks! Which color did you want again? ;)
I like all of them :)

JB in so cal
02-13-2006, 01:59 PM
That is a very nice looking boat.
In that first pic, the old dude on the pier seems to like it too!!

RiverDave
02-13-2006, 02:13 PM
Sorry, thought I linked them...
Here are some from this weekend...
http://www.tridentboats.com/trident_boats_gallery/main.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_itemId=684&g2_serialNumber=2
And one on the beach...
http://www.tridentboats.com/trident_boats_gallery/main.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_itemId=696&g2_serialNumber=2
The reflection of the forward facing speaker on the inside of the sponson kind of looks like an 8 Ball.. ;)
RD

JB in so cal
02-13-2006, 02:18 PM
The reflection of the forward facing speaker on the inside of the sponson kind of looks like an 8 Ball.. ;)
RD
Inhaling resin, today? :rollside:

Bella
02-13-2006, 02:35 PM
What is the phone number for the dealer if we want to to get some more info?

78Eliminator
02-13-2006, 02:36 PM
http://www.tridentboats.com/contact.cfm

Froggystyle
02-13-2006, 02:47 PM
http://www.tridentboats.com/contact.cfm
Damn... old number on the website. We are rookies... At least the number still forwards though...
New number is (619) 448-8584. Thanks for lookin out though Justin

Bella
02-13-2006, 02:53 PM
Damn... old number on the website. We are rookies... At least the number still forwards though...
New number is (619) 448-8584. Thanks for lookin out though Justin
I was under the impression I had to work through a dealer? I can buy MFG direct?

phebus
02-13-2006, 02:57 PM
That is a great looking shot of the boat. Great looking I say!! :rollside:

phebus
02-13-2006, 02:59 PM
Wes, do you have any pics of the front of the boat with the loading ramp up?
Thanks

Froggystyle
02-13-2006, 03:00 PM
I was under the impression I had to work through a dealer? I can buy MFG direct?
This week, yes. So I can keep my hands 100% in the pie for the first couple of boats, we are going to sell them ourselves. We are currently building two boats for sale that we are hoping to deliver before Memorial Day and do some magazine evaluations with. Both are listed on the "In Stock" page of our website at Trident Stock Boats (http://www.tridentboats.com/trident_boats_gallery/main.php?g2_view=core.ShowItem&g2_itemId=24)
Both are gorgeous. I am partial to the yellow and orange, but both seem to have equal draw depending who is admiring.
Call us up any time. We love showing the boat to new folks...

Froggystyle
02-13-2006, 03:04 PM
Wes, do you have any pics of the front of the boat with the loading ramp up?
Thanks
Here is one of it in the middle...
http://www.tridentboats.com/trident_boats_gallery/main.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_itemId=704&g2_serialNumber=2
And the video of it going up and down is here...
Ramp Video (http://www.tridentboats.com/trident_boats_gallery/main.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_itemId=659)

OutCole'd
02-13-2006, 03:31 PM
The more I see this boat, the more I like it.
Great job Wes.

Mrs. Bordsmnj
02-13-2006, 03:53 PM
Here is one of it in the middle...
http://www.tridentboats.com/trident_boats_gallery/main.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_itemId=704&g2_serialNumber=2
And the video of it going up and down is here...
Ramp Video (http://www.tridentboats.com/trident_boats_gallery/main.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_itemId=659)
I am full of stupid questions today so here goes......Why would you drive with the ramp in the middle? or was the pic taken while you were lowering it??

Froggystyle
02-13-2006, 04:18 PM
I am full of stupid questions today so here goes......Why would you drive with the ramp in the middle? or was the pic taken while you were lowering it??
Driving while lowering it. Here is one with it up...
http://www.tridentboats.com/trident_boats_gallery/main.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_itemId=712&g2_serialNumber=2

RiverDave
02-13-2006, 10:24 PM
You have a boat with lots of curves and contours, and then you have this big flat spot all the way across the fron of it.
I think you should consider making the outside of the ramp more "3 dimensional" When it's down it would be underneath the boat so it wouldn't matter, when it's up it would help it aesthetically. I don't really have any suggestions for how to do that, all I can say is I think it looks a little weird with that big flat spot on the front. I almost prefer it without the ramp all together to be honest.
RD

wsuwrhr
02-13-2006, 10:57 PM
Nice job on the boat.
:220v: :220v: :220v:
When is the red/white one going to be ready?
Brian

Tom Brown
02-14-2006, 06:24 AM
You have a boat with lots of curves and contours, and then you have this big flat spot all the way across the fron of it.
I think you should consider making the outside of the ramp more "3 dimensional" When it's down it would be underneath the boat so it wouldn't matter, when it's up it would help it aesthetically. I don't really have any suggestions for how to do that, all I can say is I think it looks a little weird with that big flat spot on the front. I almost prefer it without the ramp all together to be honest.
RD
I wish I could delete this post. :idea:

shadow
02-14-2006, 06:31 AM
RD
Wes,I agree with Dave on the ramp,Takes away from the whole look of the boat.Maybe :idea: You could put an ULTRA sticker on the front or something to clean up the look of the ramp. :D

phebus
02-14-2006, 07:21 AM
This is the first boat, and my bet would be that future boats have the gel pattern integrated into the ramp. That would make it far less intrusive, and would blend it in with the boat.

Mrs. Bordsmnj
02-14-2006, 07:29 AM
http://www.tridentboats.com/trident_boats_gallery/main.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_itemId=712&g2_serialNumber=2
Thanks for clearing that up. Pretty trick feature. :rollside:

Froggystyle
02-14-2006, 08:12 AM
Wes,I agree with Dave on the ramp,Takes away from the whole look of the boat.Maybe :idea: You could put an ULTRA sticker on the front or something to clean up the look of the ramp. :D
I had so many great comments to make about this and didn't..
I'm getting old. The front looks great in person. We aren't getting any complaints... ;) After all, how far can we really take an overgrown sea doo anyway.

Froggystyle
02-14-2006, 08:15 AM
I almost prefer it without the ramp all together to be honest.
RD
Speaking like someone who has never gotten an opportunity to stay dry because of the ramp, reduce the wind inside the boat by a ton and gotten on and off the boat extremely easily because of it.
To each their own I guess...

Jbb
02-14-2006, 08:16 AM
That big wing flap.. :p ..Is the perfect place for a big Trident logo.....Or you could just letter in ...RD SUX......?

Froggystyle
02-14-2006, 08:17 AM
That big wing flap.. :p ..Is the perfect place for a big Trident logo.....Or you could just letter in ...RD SUX......?
We went very subtle on logos. People know what it is without some cheap sticker on the front.
Wing flap... lmao.

DAB
02-14-2006, 09:19 AM
We went very subtle on logos. People know what it is without some cheap sticker on the front.
Wing flap... lmao.
Wes, I'd have to agree with others on the ramp.. I know it's after the fact, but couldn't you go back in change the mold to put the Trident Logo into it? Or just the fork? Just my .02...
David

Froggystyle
02-14-2006, 09:30 AM
Wes, I'd have to agree with others on the ramp.. I know it's after the fact, but couldn't you go back in change the mold to put the Trident Logo into it? Or just the fork? Just my .02...
David
We could, but you really need to see it in person. It doesn't have the appearance of being out of place at all...
Great, now you have me neurosing over it.
I am taking that picture down.... :D

Froggystyle
02-14-2006, 09:47 AM
I wasnt thinking .....cheap sticker....
I was thinking your pitchfork....{or RD motivator}...inlayed in the glass :p
Just so easy to go cheezy. So many manufacturers put their names and logos everywhere it will fit. I just didn't want to be that guy...
If everyone is bummed on it, it isn't too late. That's what tooling departments are for.
RD is going to pay for this though... ;)

Cole Trickle
02-14-2006, 09:48 AM
Just to give my opinion....
I have always liked the lines of the boat and the layout.
The first thing that popped into my head yesterday was that the ramp didn't look like it belonged. (I even watched the video a couple times)
The idea and the way it works is marvelous but like stated above it just apprears too flat compared to the rest of the boat.
Perhaps a logo would fill the void or a simple slope or contour on the front of the ramp. I think if the ramp was to fold in a tad more it would appeal sleeker.(I know it's too late for that)

Jbb
02-14-2006, 09:49 AM
Just so easy to go cheezy. So many manufacturers put their names and logos everywhere it will fit. I just didn't want to be that guy...
If everyone is bummed on it, it isn't too late. That's what tooling departments are for.
RD is going to pay for this though... ;)
RD SUX........ :yuk:

Froggystyle
02-14-2006, 09:50 AM
Just to give my opinion....
I have always liked the lines of the boat and the layout.
The first thing that popped into my head yesterday was that the ramp didn't look like it belonged. (I even watched the video a couple times)
The idea and the way it works is marvelous but like stated above it just apprears too flat compared to the rest of the boat.
Perhaps a logo would fill the void or a simple slope or contour on the front of the ramp. I think if the ramp was to fold in a tad more it would appeal sleeker.(I know it's too late for that)
It is never too late. I don't see it, but I didn't want a pad on the back either. But, enough people asked for it so it is there.
There isn't really a big deal with switching out the top of the ramp mold. We could have that tooled in a week and on the boat...

Cole Trickle
02-14-2006, 09:56 AM
It is never too late. I don't see it, but I didn't want a pad on the back either. But, enough people asked for it so it is there.
There isn't really a big deal with switching out the top of the ramp mold. We could have that tooled in a week and on the boat...
Maybe you could post some pictures from different angels and from both a upper and lower perspective?
If we could see some different angels we might be able to tell if it is just the picture that gives it a weird look or we are actiually onto something that you might consider re tooling.

phebus
02-14-2006, 10:06 AM
I think you should integrate some docking lights into it. Would look good, and break up the flat look.

Froggystyle
02-14-2006, 11:49 AM
I think you should integrate some docking lights into it. Would look good, and break up the flat look.
I totally was thinking about doing that. In fact, the boat is wired for them. I would like them to be able to be used with the ramp down though... If it was only useful with it up, it wouldn't be as good for docking.
There have been so many ideas going through our heads about this one part it would make your head swim. I am taking all of this to heart though, and considering a change.
RD still sux.

Infomaniac
02-14-2006, 12:28 PM
You guys see a halfway up ramp. I see something in the water about to get ran over.

RiverDave
02-14-2006, 01:04 PM
I'm pretty sure you have the boat modelled into CAD don't you? Just model a couple of different contours on the front side of the ramp, and see what they look like. ;)
RD

HCS
02-14-2006, 01:32 PM
I'm pretty sure you have the boat modelled into CAD don't you? Just model a couple of different contours on the front side of the ramp, and see what they look like. ;)
RD
Maybe just paint a picture of a naked lady on it. :rolleyes:
Actually that obviously would be the way to go.
HCS.

Phat Matt
02-14-2006, 01:37 PM
You guys see a halfway up ramp. I see something in the water about to get ran over.
I think it's a mine. :)

Tom Brown
02-14-2006, 01:45 PM
How about a giant "FOCK YOU!" sign. Then, when some jagoff cuts you off, just hit the up switch until the sign comes into full view. :cool:

Froggystyle
02-14-2006, 01:47 PM
Maybe just paint a picture of a naked lady on it. :rolleyes:
Actually that obviously would be the way to go.
HCS.
More specifically, we need to strap a naked lady to it...

Tom Brown
02-14-2006, 01:53 PM
RD
I just saw the video of the ramp articulating. Totally focking sweet. It needs no contours, IMO.
It does get a little flacid at the top of it's travel, though. Does it not bounce as you cruise through the chop?

phebus
02-14-2006, 01:58 PM
After looking at the pictures again, I think the ramp would look much better if it matched the bond line angle while in the up position. It would flow much better. The way it bisects the bond line throws the eye off.

Froggystyle
02-14-2006, 02:26 PM
After looking at the pictures again, I think the ramp would look much better if it matched the bond line angle while in the up position. It would flow much better. The way it bisects the bond line throws the eye off.
Somewhat agreed. What it means though is that you would see the hinge tube. Physically, the hinge point has to be below the line that the hinge articulates below. We put that edge on it to conceal the hinge, but it looks like folks don't really like it. If we move the hinge point forward, it becomes a pinch hazard for kids because you would get a gap when lowered.
Tough nut to crack... the hinge crosstube is just a big bar of aluminum.
There are myriad options. I am playing with shapes for the outer skin right now in fact.
I still like it the way it is. I am going to take some more pics from different angles and see what it looks like to everyone. Right now, I am thinking of a cowl-induction style bubble in the middle to swoop it up a little.
No logos though... ;)

Froggystyle
02-14-2006, 02:27 PM
I just saw the video of the ramp articulating. Totally focking sweet. It needs no contours, IMO.
It does get a little flacid at the top of it's travel, though. Does it not bounce as you cruise through the chop?
No, the actuator holds it in place really well.
I have become a victim of bad camera angles I think... I may need to do some side angles from the dock for this...

HCS
02-14-2006, 02:37 PM
No, the actuator holds it in place really well.
I have become a victim of bad camera angles I think... I may need to do some side angles from the dock for this...
I was thinking that too. Camera angle makes a big difference.
That staight on shot doesn't do it much justice.
It looks better in the vid. There's alot better perspective of what it looks like.
You might work with some graphics.
HCS.

al cole'holic
02-14-2006, 02:43 PM
..is that the way the ramp appeared to look on the model??

Froggystyle
02-14-2006, 03:20 PM
..is that the way the ramp appeared to look on the model??
It is nearly identical. What you don't see is the hinge point and how when the ramp is down it has a large gap. What we had to do was lower the hinge point so that the pivot of the hinge is concentric with the gap, which allows us to keep the gap minimal both up and down, but requires splitting the centerline of the boat with it.
There are some options still. I am 80% certain it looks fine, but we are trying some stuff still...
Wes

Froggystyle
02-18-2006, 08:19 AM
Going out today and tomorrow if the weather holds...
Anyone down?

hotlavey
02-18-2006, 08:40 AM
I totally was thinking about doing that. In fact, the boat is wired for them. I would like them to be able to be used with the ramp down though... If it was only useful with it up, it wouldn't be as good for docking.
There have been so many ideas going through our heads about this one part it would make your head swim. I am taking all of this to heart though, and considering a change.
RD still sux.
Does that ramp act like wing and cause alot of downforce on the bow when you're running at speed?

Roaddogg 4040
02-18-2006, 08:57 AM
Hey Froggy, I don't know what all this conjecture about the ramp is. It's comming from people that arn't going to buy your boat anyway. Why don't you keep building them the way you think is best and if a real customer needs a change then consider that at the time? :) :cry: :) :cry:
Great boat...
Steve

Froggystyle
02-18-2006, 08:59 AM
Does that ramp act like wing and cause alot of downforce on the bow when you're running at speed?
Not anything that we can tell. It does quite a bit towards reducing frontal drag though, which is something you just can't get enough of. The cabin flow is reduced greatly over the missing ramp and ramp down configurations, and that makes for a much smoother, drier ride for the occupants.
Aerodynamics don't play a particularly large role in a boat like this, contrary to popular belief. All of our forces being used for lift are hydrodynamic.

Froggystyle
02-18-2006, 09:08 AM
Hey Froggy, I don't know what all this conjecture about the ramp is. It's comming from people that arn't going to buy your boat anyway. Why don't you keep building them the way you think is best and if a real customer needs a change then consider that at the time? :) :cry: :) :cry:
Great boat...
Steve
Steve,
Thanks for the good words. Fact is, this boat was built by these same folks. I had numerous visits from people on this forum that all went a long way towards shaping and building the boat as it sits. We took input from people that were looking at the boat from a different perspective, considered the input and then integrated wherever possible. We got some great ideas from people on here, and haven't forgotten them.
As with everything, I have been looking at the ramp to see if some improvement can be done. Frankly, I was so pleased with the fact that it works beautifully that I hadn't considered looking at tooling some stuff into the outside. That ramp has taken me a solid year of design to get right. The mechanism is difficult to arrange geometrically, the weight requirement of two 300 pound guys with a 100 pound cooler jumping onto it off of a 3' dock made a 2500 pound weight capacity neccessary. All of those things came first, and form followed function. I am seeing if I can dial in the form a little now. With our tooling department well seasoned, we are able to make changes like this pretty readily now. The decision was made for me personally when we decided that showing the boat with the ramp down was prettier than with the ramp up. Should be the other way around, so we are going to work on it a little...
Just having the ramp at all is amazing though. After having it up there, it seems so critical to having a good time on a deck boat. I can't imagine not having it now.
Thanks for all of the input everyone. Keep it coming. Constructive critcism still feels like criticism, but the boat would be a less useful entity without everyone's help over the years.
See you on the water...

wsuwrhr
02-18-2006, 09:22 AM
The decision was made for me personally when we decided that showing the boat with the ramp down was prettier than with the ramp up. Should be the other way around, so we are going to work on it a little...
I feel the same way about convertables. Mine isn't too bad, as it resembles a sedan with the top up, but it still has better style with the top down.
Most convertables look hidious with the top up, and some, like a VW Bug, look like shit in either positon, and I like VW Bugs.
So I hear what you are saying,
Brian
So when is the purple/teal Revolution due out?

Froggystyle
02-18-2006, 09:53 AM
So when is the purple/teal Revolution due out?
When someone with $170K wants one in teal and purple... ;)

wsuwrhr
02-18-2006, 09:58 AM
I guess my centerfold is still the white/red Revolution.
Brian

wsuwrhr
02-18-2006, 09:59 AM
Same goes for the teal/gray/pink?
My G&S skateboard has that motif.
You baggin' on my board Frog?
Brian

Froggystyle
02-18-2006, 10:29 AM
Same goes for the teal/gray/pink?
My G&S skateboard has that motif.
You baggin' on my board Frog?
Brian
Not really... just saying that for that color combination I would probably want a deposit.
The end goal is to put these in dealerships and not sell from the factory. While your dream color is teal and purple, you know damn well that if you rolled into your friendly neighborhood dealer with some money to burn and saw the little red number in the corner it would be attached to your bumper at the end of the deal, teal and purple preference not withstanding...
I learned that early on. I would rather have something I really like now than something that is perfect in a couple of months. Dealers will have a sheet that show all of the upcoming color combinations, just as a car dealer does today. They can tell you if that car you are looking at is going to be here next week in the red you want or whatever... You can still buy, have a set delivery date and not be sitting on a waiting list.
I firmly believe that the value of placing these in dealerships will far outweigh the ability to dial it in perfectly for yourself. That is why we don't have any options... no reason to hold off on pulling the trigger. The one coming in next week won't have the big motor or the better stereo... they are all completely loaded. You just need to get your arms wrapped around the color.
That being said, we will still allow custom colors to be chosen for those absolutely committed to an ideal situation. I imagine doing more of those over the winter months when people are more likely to want to wait for a boat.
So, for the near term we are going to shoot down the middle on the stock boats. I still like wild, and enough people like the yellow boat to show me that full blends and vibrant colors will always be a crowd pleaser, and the red boat has shown me that traditional schemes are big hits as well.
I think you will like the next one though...

wsuwrhr
02-18-2006, 10:46 AM
I think you will like the next one though...
I can't wait to see the next one pop.
As much as people like to grind on you, you are right on the money about things.
When we bought the PT, they had what I thought were several nice cars, but not EXACTLY what I wanted. The stupid thing is, I can't even remember what I hell I wanted that wasn't in stock. They must have had 50 different PT's on the lot.
But I can tell you, that after two years of ownership, I am still completely satisfied.
So once again, I think this summer will be off the hook.
Brian