PDA

View Full Version : Phoenix Gold Amps, and speakers,??

Nostalgic Spectra
04-02-2007, 07:15 PM
Was wondering if anybody has any input the Octane series amps. I was looking at up grading my system and was looking at that particular series'. Also anybody running their 6 x 9 speakers? I know they have been known for their great amps, but didn't about their speaker or for their subs for that matter.

707dog
04-02-2007, 07:47 PM
i know the old stuff was the chit,but i dont think the new amps are coming close...

riverbound
04-02-2007, 08:02 PM
The Octane stuff is their entry level line. We sold it a couple years a go and to be honest, I wasnt that impressed with it. it has been a couple years since I have been in the industry so maybe things have changed.

Nostalgic Spectra
04-02-2007, 08:16 PM
Sounds like they took a step back. Any suggestions on what I should look at? Am looking for 1 amp to run 4 6 x 9's, and 2 6". The another amp to run 3 10" sub's. Looking for something good but not breaking the bank of course.

riverbound
04-02-2007, 08:20 PM
I run the Rockford Punch series amps.....but have Also been hearing VERY good things about the Alpin PDX amps.

Nostalgic Spectra
04-02-2007, 08:25 PM
I run the Rockford Punch series amps.....but have Also been hearing VERY good things about the Alpin PDX amps.
I heard the same on the Alpine Amps, but a little too high in price for me.Not being cheap,but I don't want to spend a ton of $ on something I will hear on a limited basis.

thmper321
04-02-2007, 10:11 PM
The Octane amps are closed out and no longer current. I would recommend the RSD Amps. The RSD Amps are CEA 2006 Approved which means they make the power they say they make and out of 23 retailers in Southern California last year they had 2 warrenties. The Phoenix Gold RSD Amps and Speakers are solid. The amps are 2 year warranty and the speakers are all field destroy. Also they are more efficient than the rockford amps, which means more time listening before the battery is dead. The Alpine PDX Amps are good as well. The other Alpine Amps, not so much.

Nostalgic Spectra
04-03-2007, 08:30 PM
So my next question is, it seems most of the big companys come out with new models every year, or every other. Which amps that are discontinued are still bad ass? I guess you can say that I am being cheap. But hey if I can get great sound for a very good price...... why not.

thmper321
04-04-2007, 11:04 AM
If the shop that was trying to sell you the old Octane amps has some the old Xenon amps those would be a better fit for a boat. More powerful and a lot of the last amps sold were hand built in Portland at there facility because the factory over seas screwed up bad. Thats why they closed that line out. They were losing their shorts by building them in Portland. Otherwise any of the major lines will work fine. Look for Kicker closeouts as well if there are any. JL slash amps are good but the e series is more along the lines of the Octane. They worked but not very balsy.

NOTALENT
04-05-2007, 06:23 AM
I had 6 of the Octane 6x9's with an Orion amp in my boat. They sounded pretty good for 2 ways. For the price you cant go wrong. In my truck I had a set of there older line ocatane 10 inch subs with an orion amp. They were in the wrong box, but they still sounded great. I got lots of compliments on them. Especially for the price. As long as you amp them right you will like them. However I upgraded to some Assassin 10' subs now and they sound alot better for the same cost ;)