PDA

View Full Version : Roller Valve Train setup?

Wild Horses
03-29-2003, 05:56 PM
Just got the heads redone (Edelbrock Aluminum)and need to set the Valve train up.
I have never done a adjustment to a roller cam before any info would be great.
(Crane Gold roller rocker arms, Crane Hyd roller lifters in a 502 BBC.) :confused:
Clint

Infomaniac
03-29-2003, 06:28 PM
Adjust the intake just as the exhaust valve opens for that cylinder and adjust the exhaust just as the intake valve closes. This will make sure the lifter is on the base circle of the lobe.
Spin the pushrod while tightening the nut or poly lock. Stop tightening as soon as the push rod starts to get some resistance to rotation. Give it 1/4 turn after that.
The 1/4 turn will be debated. Some use no turns after resistance is felt and some give as much as 3/4 turn of preload.
[ March 29, 2003, 06:30 PM: Message edited by: Infomaniac ]

Craig
03-29-2003, 07:10 PM
Infomaniac is right on as usual, but keep this in mind, you want a very little resistance against the pushrod. A friend and I were putting his motor together, he adjusted the valves. Boat wouldn't run worth a damn. After rechecking everything, I asked how he was adjusting the valves. He was tightening them down way too far. You want to spin the pushrod between your two fingers as you tighten down the rocker arm adjusting nut. Then when you feel the very slightest resistance, go the extra 1/4 turn.

21rayson
03-29-2003, 07:53 PM
Infomaniac is right 1/4 turn is all you need for hydrolic cams. what i do is pump all the lifters up with a oil pump drive then adjust them.

Wild Horses
03-29-2003, 08:51 PM
Thanks for the good input. I'll do it as soon as I get 1 of my heads back from the machine shop.
Put the heads back on and ran a leak down prior to bolting everything back together and found a leak in #6 exhaust valve. (Its hard to find anybody to do good hi performance work up here in the middle of knowwhere.)
wink
Thanks Again
Clint

Infomaniac
03-29-2003, 09:28 PM
You can pour solvent in the ports before you put them on if you want to check them. They should hold solvent if a good valve job was done.

LaveyJet
03-30-2003, 09:21 AM
Infomaniac:
Adjust the intake just as the exhaust valve opens for that cylinder and adjust the exhaust just as the intake valve closes. This will make sure the lifter is on the base circle of the lobe.
Spin the pushrod while tightening the nut or poly lock. Stop tightening as soon as the push rod starts to get some resistance to rotation. Give it 1/4 turn after that.
The 1/4 turn will be debated. Some use no turns after resistance is felt and some give as much as 3/4 turn of preload. Let me jump in here I'm about to do the same damn thing, install edlebrock aluminum heads. I've always heard 1/2 turn, but I'm cool with a 1/4 if it's tried and true. Also, re-torquing aluminum heads after a heat cycle. I was just planning on running the motor on the trailer for 20 minutes or so, letting it cool, then torque the heads again. Any thoughts?

LaveyJet
03-30-2003, 08:02 PM
Don't know, my system checks out ok. You must be a Bud Light drinker :)