PDA

View Full Version : Idaho Regatta

Emanon Performance Marine
04-03-2007, 04:38 PM
Does anyone have a contact number for those guys up there ?
I need get more information about the race than is posted on their website.
Thank you

Moneypitt
04-03-2007, 05:18 PM
Hey just give Jim Codling a call. Don't worry, he won't call you back, never does. But then you still won't know who, or how, to get a hold of at Burley.
Seriously Jim, try the chamber of commerce, they have been helpful in the past with campgound numbers and motel info.....You never know......Ray

ps-18wife
04-03-2007, 05:35 PM
The PS-18 Team is hoping to be there again this year. One of our best times! Hope he responds soon! good luck to you!

lilrick
04-03-2007, 05:59 PM
hi kelly!!!!!!!

GofastRacer
04-03-2007, 06:07 PM
Hey just give Jim Codling a call. Don't worry, he won't call you back, never does. But then you still won't know who, or how, to get a hold of at Burley.
Seriously Jim, try the chamber of commerce, they have been helpful in the past with campgound numbers and motel info.....You never know......Ray
Hey Ray, is the PS89 going???..

Moneypitt
04-03-2007, 06:11 PM
Hey Ray, is the PS89 going???..
Good question. Depends on a bunch of things, mainly Mike of course, and also progress on the other deal.......And Of course Bud.....And Valleyfield, And Morgan City........Cutting to the chase, I don't know!!..........ray

Roaddogg 4040
04-03-2007, 06:56 PM
Ray... How is Bud?
Steve

GofastRacer
04-03-2007, 07:05 PM
Good question. Depends on a bunch of things, mainly Mike of course, and also progress on the other deal.......And Of course Bud.....And Valleyfield, And Morgan City........Cutting to the chase, I don't know!!..........ray
Well that could get hectic alright, you are running Parker right??. I'll be in Burley for sure though!.. BTW, how is Mike doing?, good I hope!..

SK48
04-03-2007, 07:24 PM
Just got back from Burley last week. I do know that the race course is going
to be completely in front of the Island. They won't be racing around the
island this year. I am not really for this, I think that having the island in
the middle is nice.

GofastRacer
04-03-2007, 07:30 PM
What is the purpose of that???..

Moneypitt
04-03-2007, 07:31 PM
the middle is nice.
Oh boy, here we go again.......Now add the pace barge rollers.......Gonna be a long weekend............MP

Moneypitt
04-03-2007, 07:36 PM
Ray... How is Bud?
Steve
Doing much better. Getting around and feeling better. Still some tests to go. He may make Parker after all...........
Well that could get hectic alright, you are running Parker right??. I'll be in Burley for sure though!.. BTW, how is Mike doing?, good I hope!..
Mike is doing well. we're having a "shop sale the 13th and 14th, and I guess he is driving another destruction derby vehicle one of those nights.....And yes, we will be at Parker......
What is the purpose of that???..
Better show for the paying gate........And extreme water testing for all the flats.........They did that back a few years, 8 boat heats are really, really tight. Tighter than the pits!!!!!!!!

SK48
04-03-2007, 07:39 PM
I was in town, but not at the meeting. The word I got was that the SS boats
and crackers would like the course a little tighter, so they are going to try it
this year. Start finish line at the judges stand, and no pace boat. Without the pace boat it will be a long weekend.

GofastRacer
04-03-2007, 07:43 PM
Mike is doing well. we're having a "shop sale the 13th and 14th, and I guess he is driving another destruction derby vehicle one of those nights.....And yes, we will be at Parker......
Better show for the paying gate........And extreme water testing for all the flats.........They did that back a few years, 8 boat heats are really, really tight. Tighter than the pits!!!!!!!!
Glad to hear that, what's he getting rid of boat and motor parts???.. Those destruction derby deals are a blast!..
Yeah I'll say it's tight, single pin for sure and the water will be rough!..

GofastRacer
04-03-2007, 07:45 PM
I was in town, but not at the meeting. The word I got was that the SS boats
and crackers would like the course a little tighter, so they are going to try it
this year. Start finish line at the judges stand, and no pace boat. Without the pace boat it will be a long weekend.
Should be interesting!..

SK48
04-03-2007, 07:53 PM
Art, it is still a large area, no one pin turns. This side of the river is much larger than Parker at Blue Water. Used to clock start at Idaho all the time
just made the show run over, because of all the restarts. It will also slow down the entrance speed to the first turn by starting at the judges stand
like the old days.

04-03-2007, 07:55 PM
Ray honestly it feels like I have been e-mailing Codling.
Is this the right place ?
The Mini-Cassia Chamber of Commerce
serving Cassia and Minidoka counties.
11777th Street
P.O. Box 640
Heyburn, ID 83336
Phone: 208-679-4793

lilrick
04-03-2007, 08:10 PM
we'll just have to show up!!!!

04-03-2007, 08:13 PM
we'll just have to show up!!!!
Works for me !:)
I was thinking about doing that at LB too !

lilrick
04-03-2007, 08:14 PM
:D

GofastRacer
04-03-2007, 08:17 PM
Art, it is still a large area, no one pin turns. This side of the river is much larger than Parker at Blue Water. Used to clock start at Idaho all the time
just made the show run over, because of all the restarts. It will also slow down the entrance speed to the first turn by starting at the judges stand
like the old days.
Gotcha!..

dossangers
04-04-2007, 07:51 AM
the middle is nice.
Say what!!!!!! Thats what makes BURLEY unique the island the pace boat starts!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! How do we find out if this is OFFICIAL might change my mind about going!!!!!!!!!!!!

SK48
04-04-2007, 08:03 AM
Wayne, I will try and find out who you can call. I just happened to get into Burley on Thursday and they had just finished with a race committee meeting.
Maybe there is a phone number for the race chairman on the Idaho Regatta
web site. I know how you feel, as I think racing around the island is fun.

rossdbos
04-04-2007, 08:07 AM
On Tuesday of this week, I was contacted by Mark Maier, Chairman of the Burley Idaho Regatta, and received an email back from him. The issues are this:
Though they had their best year in a long time last year, the crowds didn't stay on Sunday and consequently they lost $8,000. Luckily they had money saved from prior events that were profitable but don't want to repeat the same problem that seems to confront them and other sites, how to keep attendence both days. So the choice was made to make some changes for the benefit of the "show". Running in front of the island, mandatory pre-registration by June 15th, pit assignments, "shoot outs", Prize/Show money is now going be limited to how many heats you run, I believe a maximum of $400- $500 per boat (except K Boats).
Jim if you need to get a hold of Mark, email him at mmaier@boyercompany.com and ask him about the Comp Jet class that will be running at Burley.
Good Luck!
Ross

dossangers
04-04-2007, 08:30 AM
One of the reasons there was a BIG crowd was the K'S !!!!! People like Blown boats!!! What does changing the course have to do with anything?Maybe they should sell 2 day tickets at slight discount? Have something different going on both days!! Halftime show;: stunt plane? blown fuel hydro exibition not ALKY kEEP THE SAME FORMAT AS LAST YEAR!!!!

rossdbos
04-04-2007, 08:54 AM
Tell the Chairman, Mark Maier at mmaier@boyercompany.com. Maybe you can convince him to change his mind.
Good luck!
RW

FlatStupid
04-04-2007, 09:46 AM
Just my 2 cents and thats's all it's worth. Since this race is close to home last year I probably had 30 people there spectating, and to a person they all loved the show the one thing that they did not care for was not being able to see the racing going on behind the island! I think it is probably a good idea. If the K's and boat racing is going to get healthy again we need FANS!!!!!!!

dossangers
04-04-2007, 09:57 AM
You need boats to get the FANS! I run my boat to have fun not to fill the gate purse. Boat racing dosnt pay a thing! i dont expect it too. But if im going to spend the $ money to drive 1000 miles It better be a SPECIAL event thats what burley is ! Otherwise ill just go to the river and run my boat!

04-04-2007, 10:09 AM
Tell the Chairman, Mark Maier at mmaier@boyercompany.com. Maybe you can convince him to change his mind.
Good luck!
RW
Maybe this will help some;
Jim,
The Moyle's have pretty much let anything that is jet driven run in that class, we have had river boats with big V bottoms all the way to flatbottoms with huge engines. Since it is a local class, Don Moyle could help you with any questions at (208) 654-2033. Entry fees are $200 for the weekend plus APBA promo fees and membership if you are not already a member. Please call Don with any questions.
Thanks
Mark Maier
Chairman
Burley Regatta Committee

FlatStupid
04-04-2007, 10:13 AM
Wayne I agree with part of what you are saying, I agree that boat racing isnt going to pay. Conversly places like Burley that do run a great event are not going to run these races at a loss forever, they are smarter than Ross :D The gate is important to them! Besides we need you to show up and fill that PURSE!:D

rossdbos
04-04-2007, 10:16 AM
Hey, CK, I resemble that remark!
It doesn't take a rocket scientist to be a promoter, it's so easy, "a caveman could do it!"
LOL!
Now, onto a serious note: Racer's race, that's it! If they were worried about filling the gate and constructive ways to help the promoter help them, the sport would be alot better off. It's the "my sh$t doesn't stink" mentality that keeps it a level that is/has been at for a long time. But again, those that choose to race once a year, really?!
RW

Jetboatguru
04-04-2007, 10:36 AM
You need boats to get the FANS! I run my boat to have fun not to fill the gate purse. Boat racing dosnt pay a thing! i dont expect it too. But if im going to spend the $ money to drive 1000 miles It better be a SPECIAL event thats what burley is ! Otherwise ill just go to the river and run my boat!
Wayne,
Lets break this down for you. Number one, how many races do you attend? I can answer that for you 1 While it is great to have the copied image of the real Coldfire out there, it is not the end all be all of Kboat racing. It is not rocket science that boatracing is not a fortune maker. As racers we need to be less selfish and think about the big picture. We need to work with promoters cohesively and put together a "show" that will attract fans. The promoters do not sit at home and ask themselves "Gee, what can we do to make Dossangers happy?, He is driving a 1000 miles to run his boat to have fun and we need to make it a special event for him." They are running it as a business. If they choose to run on one side of the island only then so be it. We can voice our displeasure and try to create a case that sways them away from it. But, "I run my boat for fun and not fill the gate purse" is not gonna get it done. If you would like to be heard on these issues maybe a title of class representative is for you? It is your option to go run at the river. Burley would love to have your boat in the race. But this is the way things are and we are gonna have to deal with them. I am calling Mark Maier as I have the uneviable job of class representative. I am not thrilled about the idea of fighting for more money for ingrates.
Tony

V-DRIVE VIDEO
04-04-2007, 10:59 AM
I believe there are many factors that contribute the success of a race. Promotion, boat count, the impression left from the previous year etc.
I've spend countless hours shooting video right in the middle of Burley fans and this is the impression I'm left with... 2/3rds of a big crowd aren't even there for the race! I think they show for Beer, sun, bikini contests and girl watching and a chance at seeing a crash. These are the people that show up to whatever event seems like its "happening". The regatta, monster truck races and burley inn concert featuring "sugar cult" fit this scenario.
I prefer the around the island format myself for the suspense and uniqueness that seperates burley from everywhere else.
IMHO, the only reason boat racing hasn't disappeared altogether is the racers themselves keep it alive. I believe the race action has a long way to go in hopes of drawing huge spectator interest with the K class revival leading the charge.
just my .02

dossangers
04-04-2007, 11:10 AM
Hey, CK, I resemble that remark!
It doesn't take a rocket scientist to be a promoter, it's so easy, "a caveman could do it!"
LOL!
Now, onto a serious note: Racer's race, that's it! If they were worried about filling the gate and constructive ways to help the promoter help them, the sport would be alot better off. It's the "my sh$t doesn't stink" mentality that keeps it a level that is/has been at for a long time. But again, those that choose to race once a year, really?!
RW
Ross give me a reason to RACE!!!! I want to have FUN! Not sit all day! YOU want to promote make it interesting! Im planing on running more than 1 race this year! So what your saying is boat racers are full of THEMSELFS?? Maybe some guys have a lot more invested in there equipment than others is that who your refering to? So sometimes they speak up if they dont like something! Race just to Race not me! I like running my boat and hanging with my friends!!

dossangers
04-04-2007, 11:16 AM
Wayne,
Lets break this down for you. Number one, how many races do you attend? I can answer that for you 1 While it is great to have the copied image of the real Coldfire out there, it is not the end all be all of Kboat racing. It is not rocket science that boatracing is not a fortune maker. As racers we need to be less selfish and think about the big picture. We need to work with promoters cohesively and put together a "show" that will attract fans. The promoters do not sit at home and ask themselves "Gee, what can we do to make Dossangers happy?, He is driving a 1000 miles to run his boat to have fun and we need to make it a special event for him." They are running it as a business. If they choose to run on one side of the island only then so be it. We can voice our displeasure and try to create a case that sways them away from it. But, "I run my boat for fun and not fill the gate purse" is not gonna get it done. If you would like to be heard on these issues maybe a title of class representative is for you? It is your option to go run at the river. Burley would love to have your boat in the race. But this is the way things are and we are gonna have to deal with them. I am calling Mark Maier as I have the uneviable job of class representative. I am not thrilled about the idea of fighting for more money for ingrates.
TonyTony when you start PAYING the bills then get BACK with me!!!! P.S. Tony dont do me any favors and ill do the SAME!!

FlatStupid
04-04-2007, 11:24 AM
Jerry, I cant contest what your observations are. But I think if it is possible to revive interest in this sport a fan base has got to help. One thing is for sure if the possibilty of a crash is part of it they got twice as good a shot if the whole racecoarse runs in front of the island!!!!! Although I agree that the racers have helped to keep boat racing alive, there is no racing if there is no promoter. PERIOD!!!!!!!!!!! At least anything more than a match race at the river.

V-DRIVE VIDEO
04-04-2007, 11:25 AM
Jerry, I dont discount your thoughts. But if your points are correct in relation to fan attendance, they got twice the chance of seeing a wreck with the whole race coarse in front of the island. Just ask Tony:D There is no race if no one promotes it. PERIOD!!!!
LOL!!!:D
You can organize a race without promoting it, case in point -> Ming circles...;)

rossdbos
04-04-2007, 11:27 AM
Wayne:
To you it's a once a year venture, a chance to travel to a place that holds a very traditional race with spectators and where the racer's feel important, to the rest it's about points and winning a Series or National Championship and Burley is just one race on list of stops in order to achieve the goal. Neither side is wrong, but my point is that coming out once a year and complaining that about format changes to anyone but the promoter of that event is fruitless. Jerry is right on, the racers are what drive this sport and have for a long time. For the most part they(the racers) didn't care if there were spectators at their event, it was about winning championships- the "me before we" mentality. No spectators, no sponsors, no race. We don't want boat racing to be the world's best kept secret, we need to work together and put the needs of the "Show" before our own otherwise there may not be a "show" to race at. The racer and promoter are tied at the hip and both needs each other to survive.
Boat racing is primarily non-gate driven, but at events like Burely, there must be an adequate gate to cover the expenses. Remember what I put in my previous post, the race committee had to take a vote to decide whether putting on the event was the right thing to do after last years loss.
You have the choice to make whether to run your boat or not, but don't ask me to give you a reason to race, ask yourself why do you want to race? If you don't know or can't think of a good reason, then maybe playing at the river is a better route. My $.02!
Ross

FlatStupid
04-04-2007, 11:27 AM
How often are they run? Who organizes them?

V-DRIVE VIDEO
04-04-2007, 11:32 AM
Jerry, I cant contest what your observations are. But I think if it is possible to revive interest in this sport a fan base has got to help. One thing is for sure if the possibilty of a crash is part of it they got twice as good a shot if the whole racecoarse runs in front of the island!!!!! Although I agree that the racers have helped to keep boat racing alive, there is no racing if there is no promoter. PERIOD!!!!!!!!!!! At least anything more than a match race at the river.
Maybe we can get some outboards up there to weedwack the island!:)
I have a question for ya Mr. CK, why do I sell waaaay more "match race at the river" videos than "promoted race videos"?;)

rossdbos
04-04-2007, 11:35 AM
Jerry:
Ming is and has been a "racer's race", this is both good and bad! To promote a gate driven event Ming would mean changing things dramatically: insurance, security, (higher expenses) etc. I have been working with the Bakersfield Chamber of Commerce on ways to get local business's involved and press releases to the media and we have grown some fans, but not much. The racing has definitely grown though. To try to take Ming to a level like Long Beach would mean that there would have to be a fan base from Bakersfield and beyond that would attend, unfortunately, for the past 3 years, I have sent press releases and met with the media and did radio and T.V. interviews for local stations and still we can't grow bring in large volume of spectators, even when the price of admission is FREE!
So, consequently, I won't take my club to a financial risk that might sink it due to the extreme costs involved given we don't have a sustainable fan base at the current "free" level.
Ross

Jetboatguru
04-04-2007, 11:41 AM
Tony when you start PAYING the bills then get BACK with me!!!!
Oh, so you are referring to the fact that I am sponsored? Does that really make a difference? I have been pretty diplomatic over this whole deal with you Wayne. The bottom line to me is I would rather not have you out there. You are a grenade with the pin pulled and I don't want to see you get hurt. You showed up to one race in Bakersfeld and since you were leaving after Saturday you made life miserable for all of the other racers and Ross. Sorry Wayne, the world doesn't revolve around the Replica of Coldfire. We all have to be patient and wait our turn.
Back to the part about me paying the bills. I paid my way for 12 years. I loved every minute of it. Now, I am fortunate enough to have a great sponsor as well as a great friend in CK. If you are disgruntled over the fact that you are not sponsored you should come out and race your boat and prove to the world that you can compete at the top.
You first must show the world that you can complete a heat. Until then, I don't see a line of people forming to back you financially. As far as Burley goes, don't bother making the drive 1000s of miles only to be dissapointed, go to the river and run your boat. If you want to call me and talk about this please do.
Tony

steve d
04-04-2007, 11:55 AM
I've been around racing for 59 years. My Dad ran cLass "A" motorcycles (JAP'S) at Lincoln Park in L.A. to Vet's stadium in Long Beach and a flatracker
at every 1/2 mile and mile in Ca. I ran my share of tracks from Vegas, Gardena to Yuma. I've read all the above views and see validity in all of them. If past history serves me right, we need a track to run on and that takes money. I've watched promoters come and go...They either made it or moved on. I think new ideas are their only way out.
My point is that years ago there were a ton of tracks to run on and most sports had a great following. Look at NASCAR....Lots of $$$ and probably more tracks than they need. Followers up the azz.
Our sport...no money and just for fun and we're clammering to to find a spot to run. And every year it gets worse. I know there is no good answer but if there is someone willing to put up the money, time and effort .....I say go for it.
..............steve

dossangers
04-04-2007, 12:11 PM
Oh, so you are referring to the fact that I am sponsored? Does that really make a difference? I have been pretty diplomatic over this whole deal with you Wayne. The bottom line to me is I would rather not have you out there. You are a grenade with the pin pulled and I don't want to see you get hurt. You showed up to one race in Bakersfeld and since you were leaving after Saturday you made life miserable for all of the other racers and Ross. Sorry Wayne, the world doesn't revolve around the Replica of Coldfire. We all have to be patient and wait our turn.
Back to the part about me paying the bills. I paid my way for 12 years. I loved every minute of it. Now, I am fortunate enough to have a great sponsor as well as a great friend in CK. If you are disgruntled over the fact that you are not sponsored you should come out and race your boat and prove to the world that you can compete at the top.
You first must show the world that you can complete a heat. Until then, I don't see a line of people forming to back you financially. As far as Burley goes, don't bother making the drive 1000s of miles only to be dissapointed, go to the river and run your boat. If you want to call me and talk about this please do.
TonyLets not talk about GRENADES tony. Dont worry about me I can take care of myself! Im not looking for sponsers and ive completed all the heats ive ran! And not having your blessing if i race dosnt mean SHIT to me! Have a nice day signed Mr Coldfire REPLICA!!!

Jetboatguru
04-04-2007, 12:30 PM
Lets not talk about GRENADES tony. Dont worry about me I can take care of myself! Im not looking for sponsers and ive completed all the heats ive ran! And not having your blessing if i race dosnt mean SHIT to me! Have a nice day signed Mr Coldfire REPLICA!!!
Wayne, you are missing the point, I prefer you NOT be on the water. I am not alone on that.

uclahater
04-04-2007, 12:33 PM
Doss:
I can understand where your coming from, but I think your way off base in some areas. You chose to put the kind of money into your boat to get it where its at. Just because you have more money invested in your boat than the next racer should make no difference in how a program is run. Everybody pays to race, and travels to do so. Some farther than others depending upon the race.
One thing I really respect about Ross is the fact that he trys to treat each class with the same amount of respect. If they pay to race he makes sure they get there heats. I've also seen him be pretty flexible when a guy needs some more time to get his boat together to make a heat. That has to be pretty challenging to keep moving the schedule around. He also takes into consideration those racers that are driving in multiple classes so that they can compete in each class.
I would think with the prestige, and excitement that Burley draws, that the racers would want to do what ever it takes to keep an event like that around. If the race course is a safety issue than I think the racers should take a stand, but if its just prefference it shouldnt matter.
The best thing that has happened to circle racing in a while is the K's coming back, and I hope it gets better and better, but the "ME" attitude has proven to be a very ineffective way of solving problems.
Good Luck to you guys, and I'll se ya in Parker:D

04-04-2007, 12:43 PM
Good Luck to you guys, and I'll se ya in Parker:D
Jim are you gunna drag Jerry down with ya ? Hope so those Videos kick ass !
Jim

uclahater
04-04-2007, 12:48 PM
Jim are you gunna drag Jerry down with ya ? Hope so those Videos kick ass !
Jim
He told me he was going. see ya there:D

superdave013
04-04-2007, 12:49 PM
I have a question for ya Mr. CK, why do I sell waaaay more "match race at the river" videos than "promoted race videos"?;)
because I can't see the action behind the island! lol :D
As a fan I'd say Ross has the crappy job of the sport and seems to enjoy it.
Nothing is perfect so with that said. Keep it up Ross and thanks for all the past races I've got to go see. I'd like see one up in Burley someday.

FlatStupid
04-04-2007, 12:56 PM
I have a question for ya Mr. CK, why do I sell waaaay more "match race at the river" videos than "promoted race videos"?;) Because all those river types want to see their own boats the water DUMMY:D

vdriver4ever
04-04-2007, 01:04 PM
Ok here is the deal... if Tony hadn't made a big splash last year on Saturday behind the island the fans would not be demanding a full frontal race.. :D
I am from Idaho, I have been to the Burley races for the last fifteen years.. I have been around boat racing all my life... I run a race car team.. on and on all to say I think its pretty simple..
Jerry is 100% right most fans come to Burley as an excuse to drink beer and hear loud boats... They get to come back in their wife beater if the "old lady" had fun the year before....
In any form of racing the more boats or cars the more fans... The least down time the more the fans enjoy it. Especially in Burley because if the down time is too long kids cry, wives start bitching and drunks pass out.. :D
Oh and just like kids thinking parents are dumb all racers think most of the promoters are ignorant morons....
Hell I like all of you and hope you ALL show up for a little racing on the snake.

FlatStupid
04-04-2007, 01:41 PM
Ignorant morons thats no way to talk about LOU!!!:(

vdriver4ever
04-04-2007, 01:45 PM
Oh brother Lou and I have had our share of car owner / promoter "talks". :D

FlatStupid
04-04-2007, 01:47 PM
No doubt!!!!:D

dmontzsta
04-04-2007, 02:02 PM
He told me he was going. see ya there:D
Where have you been mister? :)

Moneypitt
04-04-2007, 05:14 PM
Where to start.....Racing, by defination is competition. Look at the IRL, Nascar, NHRA, and others that draw a fan base and the money that comes with it. Nascar has worked for years to come up with a set of rules that keep the cars all competitive.....1st and 2nd decided by hundredths of a second. NHRA pro stock car and bikes may have a few hundredths spanning an entire 16 car/bike field. Top fuel and Funny car are also qualified extemly tight, 16 competitors spanning a blink of an eye.....Holeshot wins are a prime example of the parity in those classes. Now take our sport. More often than not, a boat or 2 will take off and be gone on the rest of the field. A fine display of all the hard work and funds that have gone into those teams. Pure magic to see (as an example) the SS80 boat just screaming down the straight, turning like it's on a rail, and doing it all again for 4 laps...But is that what the fans come to see? Or do the fans expect to see side by side competition? What races do you remember? The ones where there is just a few boats going around and around, strung out, basicly running alone....Or races like the GN 305/GN9 ran at Long Beach last year?!!!!!!!! I know I like to see the tight races, the ones where the winner is decided on the last lap, or even the last turn. Years ago, the PS guys, Stretch, Marty, Tom, Bud, Mike, who were the "regulars" in a struggling class, would get together and agree to put on a show for 3 laps, and then make the last lap count, for the fans. It worked, the few spectators who were there at Puddingtstone, Parker, Tri cities, Burley, would stay interested in each heat because there was a race going on, not just boats running in circles. When "King Richard" was winning all of his Nascar races in the 60s, Nascar was shown 2 or 3 weeks later on Wide World of Sports, no live coverage, ever.....(Well maybe CBS had the Datona 500 live)...Nascar was a redneck hillbilly sport......Fast forward to today, mega millions $$, why? Because of parity, and close competition.......So, back to Burley and the pace boat, and the island, or no island, and the fans/gate......Maybe the drivers need to get together and agree to "put on a show"........Go back to the races you remember, the close ones, right??? Before anyone blasts me for asking the fastest boats to hold back, they'll still win. Granted, the mink coat at Burley may encourage balls out speed, kind of a trade off.....Maybe use one heat to try for the mink, and race the rest, I don't know.......As mentioned, our sport is supported by the racers, not the fans, but the fans are what determines who and where the races are promoted.....And as always Ross, keep doing what you're doing, and we'll keep showing up to race......See everyone at Parker.........Ray

uclahater
04-04-2007, 06:08 PM
:D :D Where have you been mister? :)
Working trying to get you more Biz. I'll be placing another order for the Grant Master, and the other 3 that are already approved:D :D
If any of you ever need CD or DVD replicating Donald is the man:) :)

mostly crue
04-04-2007, 06:26 PM
Hey Ross, who said the crackers wanted a tighter course? This is the first time I have heard this?

gn7
04-05-2007, 05:56 AM
One of the reasons there was a BIG crowd was the K'S !!!!! People like Blown boats!!! What does changing the course have to do with anything?Maybe they should sell 2 day tickets at slight discount? Have something different going on both days!! Halftime show;: stunt plane? blown fuel hydro exibition not ALKY kEEP THE SAME FORMAT AS LAST YEAR!!!!
funny you should say that, first year the K's are back, and they lose money.MMMMMMMMMMMMMM

gn7
04-05-2007, 06:10 AM
Ok here is the deal... if Tony hadn't made a big splash last year on Saturday behind the island the fans would not be demanding a full frontal race.. :D
ya know,Tony, he has a point there, this may be all your fault, because that race seem to always make money in the past, and now the island is the reason they don't make money. What will they so or do if this doesn't fix the problem.

vdriver4ever
04-05-2007, 06:46 AM
It kind of blows me away that they lost money last year. I mean the crowd was pretty darn good both days. I know they had extra sponsor money from some of the Idaho folks to help offset the K's. I think the BBQ / boat show was well attended.
Judging by the parking lot it did not appear they could put 100's more even in the place. This is probably a dumb question but has anyone seen or heard where they lost money at?

Jetboatguru
04-05-2007, 06:56 AM
It kind of blows me away that they lost money last year. I mean the crowd was pretty darn good both days. I know they had extra sponsor money from some of the Idaho folks to help offset the K's. I think the BBQ / boat show was well attended.
Judging by the parking lot it did not appear they could put 100's more even in the place. This is probably a dumb question but has anyone seen or heard where they lost money at?
Lets not forget the Minegar Brothers added 5 grand to help get the Super Stocks to Burley last year! Thank you very much for that Lou and Lou!
And thank you for doubling that this year. You guys are great!:D

dmontzsta
04-05-2007, 08:26 AM
:D :D
Working trying to get you more Biz. I'll be placing another order for the Grant Master, and the other 3 that are already approved:D :D
If any of you ever need CD or DVD replicating Donald is the man:) :)
Thanks for that dude. :) Makes me feel like a job well done!
I need to SERIOUSLY get some of the CD opener dealios. I think it would be a little more pro to give someone, instead of teaching them my finger nail trick! lol.

dmontzsta
04-05-2007, 08:27 AM
I hope it doesnt turn in to a tighter course. The P-37 boat likes those sweeping courses like Bakersfield. :)

mostly crue
04-05-2007, 12:12 PM
D.M. I don't think anybody would want to see a crackerbox race like that.
I would rather see them go around the island flat out. I love Burley,(1st timer last year!) I hope nothing changes. I really find it hard that it lost money.
Only time will tell.

dmontzsta
04-05-2007, 12:41 PM
D.M. I don't think anybody would want to see a crackerbox race like that.
I would rather see them go around the island flat out. I love Burley,(1st timer last year!) I hope nothing changes. I really find it hard that it lost money.
Only time will tell.
Nothing like hearing a motor pushing 9k rpm or so... :)

WannabeRacing
04-05-2007, 01:20 PM
Just charge $100 for an all access pass to the island. A boat shuttle every hour on and off the island. That way you can make more money, and the people who want to see the entire race, can do so from the island. Two little j-johns on the island and it is good to go.
Everyone is happy. Me too as I would love to have pictures from the island.
But, if they choose to do all the racing on the near side, it is still a race. They still put on a great show for the fans and one of the best races of the year. No matter what course.
Thanks guys. And every promoter or sponsor of every race!
I know it is not an easy job.

04-05-2007, 07:05 PM
Just charge $100 for an all access pass to the island. A boat shuttle every hour on and off the island. That way you can make more money, and the people who want to see the entire race, can do so from the island. Two little j-johns on the island and it is good to go.
But, if they choose to do all the racing on the near side, it is still a race. They still put on a great show for the fans and one of the best races of the year. No matter what course.
I sent this to the Burley Race Comision today. Lets see what they say.

Moneypitt
04-05-2007, 07:22 PM
I don't think the event insurance would allow this. That island is just a remote, overgrown stretch of land. No walkways or guard rails, no dock, no handicapped access, and look at all the beer sales they would loose. By mid afternoon some of the the locals have a hard enough time staying on their feet on level grass, put them on the island and 1/2 of them would be swimming...............MP

SK48
04-05-2007, 07:25 PM
The island is protected habitat. Fish and Game will not allow anyone on the
island. There is a special permit from them for this years race, for a scaffold
for turn judges. :)

CircleJerk
04-05-2007, 08:13 PM
Boy some great points, but dont make the mistake of comparing boats to Nascar or NHRA style of racing for the simple geography differences. How do you charge everyone? Burley does offer an rare situation where you can control all those paying folks within the golf course grounds but, behind the Island 1/2 of the race is watched for free! Anyone think of that?
Now up here, very few race sites are suitable for a gate and a controled spectating area, (which is what's required for taking in money,duh) it is simply too hard to find or just plain NOT available anymore.
Nascar realized this early on and bought some of their own tracks for control of gate receipts and micro managed the rest and the result was huge National success.
APBA did not and most likely geographically could not, but relied on the backs of local towns and clubs to furnish almost all of the required. Example: Can you imagine if there were several Miami stadiums throughout the USA with regular seasonal races? Boat racing is simply different and now we suffer accordingly. It's seldom CLOSE racing of no more than 8 per heat! This my friends, IS boring to those used to seeing other programs!
Mr. Ross, other promoters, and all those race working volunteers are saints, in my opinion and whatever they figured will work better for their particular race, I support and so should you!

Moneypitt
04-05-2007, 08:43 PM
Boy some great points, but dont make the mistake of comparing boats to Nascar or NHRA style of racing for the simple geography differences. How do you charge everyone? Burley does offer an rare situation where you can control all those paying folks within the golf course grounds but, behind the Island 1/2 of the race is watched for free! Anyone think of that?
Now up here, very few race sites are suitable for a gate and a controled spectating area, (which is what's required for taking in money,duh) it is simply too hard to find or just plain NOT available anymore.
Nascar realized this early on and bought some of their own tracks for control of gate receipts and micro managed the rest and the result was huge National success.
APBA did not and most likely geographically could not, but relied on the backs of local towns and clubs to furnish almost all of the required. Example: Can you imagine if there were several Miami stadiums throughout the USA with regular seasonal races? Boat racing is simply different and now we suffer accordingly. It's seldom CLOSE racing of no more than 8 per heat! This my friends, IS boring to those used to seeing other programs!
Mr. Ross, other promoters, and all those race working volunteers are saints, in my opinion and whatever they figured will work better for their particular race, I support and so should you!
CJ, I do support them, I just piss and moan about it. A "not so good day" of boat racing has the "best day" of working beat hands down.....After the fiasco in the pits last year Art and I were going to volunteer to be "pit bosses" and straighten the mess out.....But RCL said he had it handled, something about the Elfs weren't doing anything that time of year anyway........Maybe the racers can decide there isn't any "I" in "SHOW", and make the promotors a little happier. The outcome won't change much, if at all, but the paying spectators might just all come back the next day, and bring more drinking buddies with them. I have a hard time figuring how Burley lost money last year, seemed like a decent crowd comparible to the years past....Then again, I'm not tuned in to the business end of our sport.......MP

ps-18wife
05-08-2007, 08:31 PM
hi kelly!!!!!!!
Hi Chile! I hope my man smokes you all! He is coming along well and this sport is so fun! I hope everyone does well and stay's safe! Hope to see you in Idaho! But I know I will see you in Irivine, should be a blast, our new boat should be ready!

lilrick
05-08-2007, 10:39 PM
Hi Chile! I hope my man smokes you all! He is coming along well and this sport is so fun! I hope everyone does well and stay's safe! Hope to see you in Idaho! But I know I will see you in Irivine, should be a blast, our new boat should be ready!
Heath better start pumpin' on that boat if he's gonna test at Irvine!!!

MAXIMUS
05-09-2007, 06:34 AM
I think burley could be a lot better than last year if they just run it smoother... Back to back Gn heats at 5:00 at night was not a good arrangement. When I left there last year I was thinking to myself at what a great job Ross does after seeing it done differently. My thoughts were that they need to get with Ross for some tips on how to keep it moving through out the day. When the spectators start getting restless then it burdens the thought of coming back on sunday for more... There are many factors involved with the demise of boat racing etc... My honest opinion is that as long as there are those that want to race then something will transpire... Fans come & go. Racing today is for the racers & the comeraderie... I don't think we can rely on fans to support our cause. Unfourtunatly in a case like burely this is a serious problem.:(

Flat Hall'N
05-09-2007, 02:22 PM
Saw the new boat today, looking good! Ride Heath's ass to get that thing race ready. I want to see the PS18 team in Burley!! We had way to much fun there last year!

Yoghurt
05-09-2007, 03:47 PM
I think burley could be a lot better than last year if they just run it smoother... Back to back Gn heats at 5:00 at night was not a good arrangement. When I left there last year I was thinking to myself at what a great job Ross does after seeing it done differently. My thoughts were that they need to get with Ross for some tips on how to keep it moving through out the day. When the spectators start getting restless then it burdens the thought of coming back on sunday for more... There are many factors involved with the demise of boat racing etc... My honest opinion is that as long as there are those that want to race then something will transpire... Fans come & go. Racing today is for the racers & the comeraderie... I don't think we can rely on fans to support our cause. Unfourtunatly in a case like burely this is a serious problem.:(
Do you need a tissue?