PDA

View Full Version : Condensation

LD Mandella
04-03-2007, 07:08 PM
Anyone have trouble with condensation in puke tanks and valve covers when running in cold water and warm air? I do and would like your thoughts on the cause and remedies, I have some of my own but as a wise man once said better to be silent and thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubt. Thanks in advance for any and all input.

BA Kurtis
04-03-2007, 08:38 PM
I ran my boat last week out in Parker (water cold air temp warm) and I wound up with condensation on intake manifold, motor was running rich so I think to much fuel in the manifold mixed with the cool air(close to the water) caused the condensation.

DUCKY
04-03-2007, 08:54 PM
In a word, yes. If your water and thus oil temp are running cold, due to cold water, condensation is going to happen. I even get some in the fill neck on my turbo VW if I don't flog it hard enough to get the oil temp up. Increased ventilation (extra breathers, pan-e-vac system, etc...) will help, but the ultimate cure is to get the oil up to 180-210 degrees.

LD Mandella
04-03-2007, 08:57 PM
BA thanks, but i am talking about condensation inside the valve covers and puke tank, milky film inside but oil in the pan still fine and clear. I know what you are talking about with the intakes as in the winter i have seen ice but with this latest set-up I am getting a serious amount of moisture inside the motor on the top end. Thanks again for your input and your new project looks great, I am still lokking for your old boat.

RICHARD TILL
04-03-2007, 09:30 PM
i`m interested in this subject too. been getting condesation under the valve covers, on the stud girdles and the milk too. this started when i installed aluminum heads and crankcase evacuation to the headers all at the same time. the boat is making 10 sec. 1/4 mile runs only. now i`m wondering if a regular pcv or no evacuation at all would cure the problem. thinking about changing the oil, pulling the hoses and see what happens.

Rexone
04-03-2007, 10:36 PM
It's a normal condition. As the engine cools the moisture condensates inside the valve covers. Particularly if the boat is around or in the water. I've seen it for years and it won't cause any problems as long as the oil in the pan isn't milky. You will also see condensation on the dipstick sometimes so don't let that fool you into thinking the oil in the pan has water in it. As soon as the oil warms up again it burns the condensation out (over 212ยบ boils water to steam).

dossangers
04-04-2007, 07:44 AM
Mine does it no big deal as long as the oils clean very commen!:idea:

DMOORE
04-04-2007, 09:09 AM
This is one reason to run the boat long enough to burn all of the moisture out of the oil system. This is the grocery getter syndrom. The vehicle never runs long enough to boil off the condensation in the motor. Most things I have read says a typical motor has to run approx 20-30min to burn all of the condensation in it.
Darrell.

LD Mandella
04-04-2007, 09:58 AM
thanks for the replys, anyone ever contemplate a solution ? I was thinking a breather sock with a desicant in it. Keep in mind I think too much.

Rexone
04-04-2007, 02:08 PM
This is one reason to run the boat long enough to burn all of the moisture out of the oil system. This is the grocery getter syndrom. The vehicle never runs long enough to boil off the condensation in the motor. Most things I have read says a typical motor has to run approx 20-30min to burn all of the condensation in it.
Darrell.
What you say is partially true imo. True with regards to burning it out. Not true from preventing itw occurance. I've run motors all day and had the same level of condensation in the am. It's a product of hot motor cooling around moist air.

DMOORE
04-04-2007, 02:22 PM
What you say is partially true imo. True with regards to burning it out. Not true from preventing itw occurance. I've run motors all day and had the same level of condensation in the am. It's a product of hot motor cooling around moist air.
No doubt, it won't prevent it. It simply keeps it from continuing to accumulate larger and larger amounts on condensation. You're correct, there will always be an amount of condensation in the motor after cooldown.
Darrell.

gn7
04-04-2007, 03:25 PM
even an exhaust type extractor doesn't stop it from getting moisture in there after shut down, and the air has to go down the collector to get in the motor, but the header cools off way faster than the motor. Best to just not let it keep building up by keeping your oil temp up and boiling it out.