PDA

View Full Version : Flotation

UtlGoa
04-04-2007, 04:56 PM
Here is my dilemma.... My Bahner bubble deck has no flotation added to it inside the hull. There is no foam under the deck, no foam along the sides, if this thing sinks it's going down, down, down. What does everyone use for flotation in case your boat sinks? Also I have no bulk head under the deck. Is there something I can buy that will keep the boat up if it were to sink.

Emanon Performance Marine
04-04-2007, 05:16 PM
Inner tubes !

twowheeledfish
04-04-2007, 06:12 PM
Bro, just insure your boat properly and don't worry about it. That foam crap will soak up water once wet, and will never dry, adding potentially hundreds of pounds of water weight to your boat. On the last boat I tore apart (a 22 ft alum river boat), I removed approximately 200 pounds of water soaked foam. Don't do it.

Cas
04-04-2007, 06:27 PM
heavy duty garbage bags filled with packing peanuts and make sure the bow eye is well sealed.

67weimann
04-04-2007, 08:39 PM
Yeah, just don't sink it...:D

W.O.T
04-04-2007, 09:17 PM
i think about the same thing. i like being able to put stuff under my bow, but i would also like to have something there to aid in flotation. i will just try to be safe and stick to good insurance for now.

YeLLowBoaT
04-04-2007, 11:06 PM
Bro, just insure your boat properly and don't worry about it. .
What he said... you can get the expanding foam from any fiber glass/plastic shop. just make sure its closed cell.( should note... be very carful with this stuff, it can and will destroy a boat if you use too much. They are using the same stuff to lift slabs now, so that gives you some idea of the presure the foam has when its expanding) I really would not bother, if you add it to bow and the boat floods, it will be bobbing like a cork and the INS company will still most likly total it.

fleetimus
04-05-2007, 08:00 AM
http://i37.photobucket.com/albums/e70/fleetimus/Condor/HPIM0131.jpg
I used noodles. Hopefully will not need them!!!!!! Better than what I had before:eek:

JR131
04-05-2007, 08:27 AM
they have what they call closed cell spray in foam that will not hold any water but will add all the boyancy and flotation that you need. you can order this item from McMaster carr its pricey though
jr

UtlGoa
04-05-2007, 10:01 AM
Hey thanks for the replies. When I lived in Blythe I really did'nt worry about sinking, and even if it did the river was not that deep. But we moved to Kentucky and the lakes here are friggen huge and deep. I guess I'll make a bulk head and put something behind it. I really appreciate all the replies. You guys have me thinking now.

wolfie
04-05-2007, 10:03 AM
I use empty beer cans...just throw them up in the bow...LOL

AzMandella
04-05-2007, 10:22 AM
Innertubes.Just put them in and inflate them.Alot esier to deal with than foam that's soaked up water.

Emanon Performance Marine
04-05-2007, 10:28 AM
they have what they call closed cell spray in foam that will not hold any water but will add all the boyancy and flotation that you need. you can order this item from McMaster carr its pricey though
jr
Do you have a part # or manufacturer ?

JR131
04-05-2007, 10:54 AM
i will have to check my records when i get off work
jr

SmokinLowriderSS
04-05-2007, 03:39 PM
I don't know how bow foam winds up waterlogged, mine hasn't ever been wet, but oh well. Lowrider was always stored bow high, indoors or out, with no plug in. Any rain in drains out.
Lowrider is packed full ahead of the kickpanels under the dash, and it's as dry as a bone.
The inner-tubes or HD trash bags filled with peanuts are good ideas IMO if you want something that can be removed if desired for repair work.
Somehow, I don't quite think that is enough funoodles, but it's a good try. :D

riverbound
04-05-2007, 03:53 PM
My Spectra had a bunch of inflateable pillows up under the dash. I ended up taking them out so I could store stuff under the bow.

Xlration Marine
04-05-2007, 04:10 PM
How long is the boat, from rubrail front to rubrail rear? And is it registered as pleasure or race.

fleetimus
04-05-2007, 05:40 PM
Why dis the noodles??? Two or three of them will hold 300lbs. Plus, they do not absorb water. My boat weights maybe 1500 lbs, so 17 noodles ought to at least keep the nose up if it sinks again!!!!!!!!!!!!!

jrork
04-05-2007, 05:46 PM
Why dis the noodles??? Two or three of them will hold 300lbs. Plus, they do not absorb water. My boat weights maybe 1500 lbs, so 17 noodles ought to at least keep the nose up if it sinks again!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Innertubes is what I've seen but I like the noodles. Besides, I'm diggin the colors against Fleets black boat. Plus if the grandkids come out they're all set. :D
Actually, Fleets right. One of those things floats my lardass. A whole shitpot should support quite a bit of weight I would think.

twowheeledfish
04-05-2007, 07:48 PM
jr
The closed-cell foam never stays closed. After about five years, it becomes open cell.

twowheeledfish
04-05-2007, 08:00 PM
Just saw this thread... see what I mean. It will end up wet sooner or later.
http://www.***boat.com/forums/showthread.php?p=2485855&posted=1#post2485855

UtlGoa
04-06-2007, 05:26 AM
My boat is 18'-6" from front rub rail to rear rub rail. It's registered as a pleasure vessel.

SmokinLowriderSS
04-07-2007, 05:47 AM
I went out and measured one of our Super Funoodles (the hole in the center is smaller), they are more bouyant, and after all the math is done, each one displaces just a bit over a gallon of water, completely submerged.
17 provide 139 pounds (I am a bit surprised) of bouyancy, which JUST MIGHT keep the bow light dry. I don't know what a totally submerged big block weighs, but I am aware it isn't even close to it's "in-air" weight.

Hustler
04-07-2007, 09:20 AM
You guys have it all wrong. This is all you need for flotation:D
http://i57.photobucket.com/albums/g205/mcmpic/2670P4080256-1.jpg

Xlration Marine
04-07-2007, 12:30 PM
The law is any thing under 20' is required to have flotation. If she sinks the insurance compy may screw you on this. I have seen one shop here that would mix up some 2 part in a can and toss it in the bow of the boat. Not good. The thing needs to float level, and it's a bitch to go through the hassel of doing it. The builder has to sink his boat until he finds the correct amount of flotation with the proper location for it as well. And then the size or pound of foam being used,2-4-6. It sure make an open engine bay look ugly. Kinda like a ranger bass boat or a boston whaler. I've seen builders use heavy duty plasic bags, very in shape and size. Then the fill it with foam and seal the ends to keep water out. I guess a bunch of 2 littler soda bottles would work as well, from what some one said. Cut the foam off the top and then put the cap on. He said it held up just fine.

SmokinLowriderSS
04-07-2007, 01:00 PM
I've got a Funnoodle for HER! :D :D