PDA

View Full Version : Anyone know about volvo jets

kingbrutis
04-04-2007, 05:16 PM
I just bought a 1997 19 Scarab jet. It has a 4.3 Merc 6 cylinder and a volvo jet drive, 177 total hours. It should be reliable. I was told it It was completly serviced at town and country marine. I know nothing about jet drives. Just looking for some guidance and what to look for. Thanks Joe

Emanon Performance Marine
04-04-2007, 05:25 PM
I just bought a 1997 19 Scarab jet. It has a 4.3 Merc 6 cylinder and a volvo jet drive, 177 total hours. It should be reliable. I was told it It was completly serviced at town and country marine. I know nothing about jet drives. Just looking for some guidance and what to look for. Thanks Joe
There is a guy on here he goes by Scarab Jet, he should be able to help.

sleekcrafter
04-04-2007, 05:50 PM
One of my late friends had one, it was a nice performing boat with a 350 sbc in it, He put a bbc in it, which made it very ill handling. He replaced the bbc for the sbc. As for the Volvo pump, he told me it's based on the Legend pump, and parts are limited to whats availble thru them. He was able to see mid sixties with his boat. The 4.3 engine just did not do the boat justice.

kingbrutis
04-04-2007, 06:52 PM
Thanks for all the info. I really am not concerned about speed. It will most be a family (me, wife and 3 yr old) boat. On of the reasons I really like the boat is the high freeboard. A big plus with a young one on board. The boy can stay at the inlaws when we really want to party. Mabey in a a season or two, find a 350 merc or a 377 sporpion. Do they still make that motor? Anyway, it should be great on gas and light enough to tow with our CRV. I was told with a nice chop, 55 mph on gps. We are really planning on taking the boat and the toy hauler and staying 3 or 4 days at a time. I would imagine that since it's not much HP, the jet shouldn't bee too stressed. Anymore info would be very helpfull. Joe
One of my late friends had one, it was a nice performing boat with a 350 sbc in it, He put a bbc in it, which made it very ill handling. He replaced the bbc for the sbc. As for the Volvo pump, he told me it's based on the Legend pump, and parts are limited to whats availble thru them. He was able to see mid sixties with his boat. The 4.3 engine just did not do the boat justice.

sleekcrafter
04-04-2007, 07:20 PM
The intake was the akelees heel of the drive, not conducive for performance. he did install a place diverter, that's about all I know about it. It was a nice boat, he powder coated all his hardware, lots of detail work he did.

76ANTHONY
04-04-2007, 07:53 PM
check on the intake, i think you may be able to machine a nice one up with some time. also squizzzzze in a nice 355 balanced with a light crank and you can make that little boat scoooooot..... nice little boats and they handle the chop pretty well, based on the 22ft scarab, nice lake boat, not much room inside but comfortable enough for three people and a nice full ice chest:D

centerhill condor
04-05-2007, 02:49 AM
http://www.***boat.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=28060&d=1175735751
no charge