PDA

View Full Version : XM and Sirius Merger

bigblockbill
04-05-2007, 10:05 AM
Just got a letter in the mail yesterday stating the two had merged... How do you think that will change things?

That Guy
04-05-2007, 10:07 AM
They want to merge but they are a long way from getting regulatory approval...I think it would be a good thing for both companies.

mrs.rvrluvr
I think its awesome......hopefully they will keep the good stations & get rid of the undesirables. Definately have to keep Howard Stern, I'm a big fan of his.

WET HULL
I hope they get rid of the dam commercials on XM. It defeats the whole reason I got it in the first place.

Cole Trickle
04-05-2007, 10:09 AM
I hope they get rid of the dam commercials on XM. It defeats the whole reason I got it in the first place.
Thats been pissing me off ever since I got my new XM equipped silverado.:mad:

Concept1
Maybe Sirrius just wanted to get outta Sterns contract! :jawdrop:

JENKDICK
They Are Supposedly Going To Offer Stations Ala Cart.

wright27
04-05-2007, 10:12 AM
XM sucks I just cancled them this morning. IMO

RitcheyRch
04-05-2007, 10:28 AM
Ditto that and hopefully we dont need to get new systems.

Rod-64
04-05-2007, 10:31 AM
Try:
www.xmradio.com/promise

RaceFace
04-05-2007, 10:33 AM
XM sucks I just cancled them this morning. IMO
Yeah, I am going to wait it out and see if it improves with the merger. I've heard alot of Sirius and its much better. I'm on the verge of cancelling.

RaceFace
04-05-2007, 10:39 AM
OK, here's a good question, I have a GMC truck with XM...can I change to Sirius and use my current factory hardware??

GrapeApe
04-05-2007, 10:52 AM
I hope the Sirius Stock improves. I read an article that stated the stock could drop even more, to around $1.50 a Share if the Merger doesn't go through.. :-( I thought I was buying low when I got it in 2004 for $3.80...
*** Grape Ape ***

Nord
04-05-2007, 10:55 AM
The merger will go through. All old hardware will run seamlessly after the stations complete the merge. This is what they are claiming

Havasu_Dreamin
04-05-2007, 11:21 AM
The way it has been explained to me that it is not an XM thing per se, it's a Clear Channel thing which owns the stations with the commercials...

blown65
04-05-2007, 11:39 AM
My new ford has Sirius, have had XM in all our chevies. Both have commercials and at least out of a stock stereo, quality is no different.
Sirius seems to have less commercials though, dont really care either way TBO.

mrs.rvrluvr
04-05-2007, 11:59 AM
OK, here's a good question, I have a GMC truck with XM...can I change to Sirius and use my current factory hardware??
I think so....JP at Cartoyz is gonna do it for our cadillac.

dumbandyoung
04-05-2007, 12:05 PM
I have XM at home for free with my Direct TV and I have Sirus at work. I like XM because it has better country music channels. And I like Sirus for all the funny shows on Faction and all the rock channels. If I had to choose one I would say Sirus is better IMO.
I was a little disappointed I didn't get Sirius in my f250, I asked the sales guy and he told me that they wont offer it in the f250's till 08? My buddy bought an f150 like 8 months ago and still gets it for free. pretty cool.:)
Dont wanna jack the thread,, although does anyone have the Ford OEM Navigation unit in their cars or trucks? Do you like it?? I'd like to get on installed because I like the factory look inside.

jdogginla
04-05-2007, 12:56 PM
No you can not. I tried....i have the xm that came with the truck and had to install the Sirius with it's own unit. I just have the Sirius tuned to a designated fm station, and flip flop between the source buttons to hear which one i want. It's not a lot of money and I enjoy different features and packages on both. I think I listen to Sirius more though due to Howard Stern.
The Stilleto is the way to go with the Sirius though. U can record programing on it, detach it from the car and use it to listen too when working out or walking or what ever.

Racey
04-05-2007, 01:05 PM
Maybe Sirrius just wanted to get outta Sterns contract! :jawdrop:
I doubt it, stern took Sirius from 600,000 to 6,000,000 Subscribers in one year, he is the whole reason the merger is taking place as equal value.
It'll be really nice once we get the best of both worlds coming through either of the systems.
Sirius has NO commercials on any of the music only channels, the only commercials are on the talk stations and relatively light, you pretty much have to have commercials on a talk stations because the dj's need to break every so often, they could play music i guess, but it makes sense to generate some revenue on downtime, it keeps your subscription price down

Racey
04-05-2007, 01:06 PM
No you can not. I tried....i have the xm that came with the truck and had to install the Sirius with it's own unit. I just have the Sirius tuned to a designated fm station, and flip flop between the source buttons to hear which one i want. It's not a lot of money and I enjoy different features and packages on both. I think I listen to Sirius more though due to Howard Stern.
The Stilleto is the way to go with the Sirius though. U can record programing on it, detach it from the car and use it to listen too when working out or walking or what ever.
Someone makes a brain box for the GM line that changes your system from xm to sirius, my buddy has one in his GMC duramax and has sirius through the stock radio with all the info coming right up on the stock display.

blown65
04-05-2007, 01:06 PM
I have XM at home for free with my Direct TV and I have Sirus at work. I like XM because it has better country music channels. And I like Sirus for all the funny shows on Faction and all the rock channels. If I had to choose one I would say Sirus is better IMO.
I was a little disappointed I didn't get Sirius in my f250, I asked the sales guy and he told me that they wont offer it in the f250's till 08? My buddy bought an f150 like 8 months ago and still gets it for free. pretty cool.:)
Dont wanna jack the thread,, although does anyone have the Ford OEM Navigation unit in their cars or trucks? Do you like it?? I'd like to get on installed because I like the factory look inside.
So far I like mine. (its an 08 though)

dumbandyoung
04-05-2007, 01:15 PM
Is it really easy to use?

jdogginla
04-05-2007, 01:16 PM
Someone makes a brain box for the GM line that changes your system from xm to sirius, my buddy has one in his GMC duramax and has sirius through the stock radio with all the info coming right up on the stock display.
U are correct.....I forgot about that. They didn't have it out yet when i got mine, but i remember it being talked about on Howard's show a few times. I still like my set up though......some days I like XM some I like Sirius, lol. With the brain, you don't get both. I believe........

blown65
04-05-2007, 01:23 PM
Is it really easy to use?
I think so. My caddy or the H2 is about the same IMO. I've only used it once to find a place since I havent gone out of town, no biggy there. I wish there was more treble adjustment though, but that maybe the stock speakers. (I like it set more on the high side.)
I do like the touchscreen though, my caddy sux in that regard, the buttons are all flaking off. Actually the nav unit in that car has been replaced like 3 times now because of the flaking buttons. Anyhow, offtopic too much. heh

charlyox
04-05-2007, 01:28 PM
It woulkd be nice to get radio Margaritaville in the Chevy.

mikefd024
04-05-2007, 02:14 PM
Check Kenwood or Pioneer they make the conversion kit, most stereo stores know about it and have the info on it. The reason for the merger is so both can make it, they were spending so much on advertising to fight each other they decided to join forces to bring higher quality sound and programing. Apparently the inventer of satellite radio was saying that the signal had to be split when it was only meant for one provider. So if and when they do join you be able to do alot more with the radio's. Just not sure what it is though, that's what the guy said on Howard Stern a few weeks back. It's my understanding that XM is the one that is going to lose some employees from it, because Sirius is stronger right now.

Baja Big Dog
04-05-2007, 07:09 PM
Hopefully they shit can Stern and that puppet Ed McMann wanna be !!!

Ultrafied
04-05-2007, 07:29 PM
Yes you can keep the factory unit and get Sirius. It's about an hour job. The unit is SIR-GM1. It is connected behind the glove box and connects directly into you stock head unit wiring. All of the steering controls work just fine. I've had mine on the Avalanche now for 7 months and if you didnt see the XM label you would think GM put in Sirius as stock. On-Star, phone, everything works as stock.
You can get the unit at Circuit City, etc. for $99 + tax.

RiverRatMike
04-05-2007, 08:06 PM
I cancelled my XM last month, was sick and tired of hearing the same song all the time and some station having commercials. Also the $12.99 sounds a little pricey to me since I only listen to it to and from work.

Baja Big Dog
04-05-2007, 08:38 PM
I cancelled my XM last month, was sick and tired of hearing the same song all the time and some station having commercials. Also the $12.99 sounds a little pricey to me since I only listen to it to and from work.
Dont think you will get away from the commercials on Sirius...I about pulled the friggin unit out and threw it out the window on a 9 hour drive in Mexico, the same commercials....:mad:

EAZYKILLER2006
04-05-2007, 08:42 PM
I think its awesome......hopefully they will keep the good stations & get rid of the undesirables. Definately have to keep Howard Stern, I'm a big fan of his.
oh hellz yeah!!! keep howie

Outnumbered
04-05-2007, 08:58 PM
Don't count on it. I predict it will be just like FM in 10 years. They bait and switched us on the commercial free stuff. Total BS. I hope I am wrong.

bigblockbill
04-06-2007, 06:58 AM
Don't count on it. I predict it will be just like FM in 10 years. They bait and switched us on the commercial free stuff. Total BS. I hope I am wrong.
Rememeber when cable TV was first sold to the american public. It was advertised as no commericials and now look at it. I agree with you. I have not used my XM now in many months and don't know why I keep it. Even last summer in the boat I could never find anything I wanted to listen too.

tcook33
04-06-2007, 07:11 AM
Hopefully they shit can Stern and that puppet Ed McMann wanna be !!!
Shiit, Sterns a big part of why it happened....

Jbb
04-06-2007, 07:13 AM
XM's comedy channel 150 is full of commercials...:mad: but when it's on...there is some pretty funny stuff there

Racey
04-06-2007, 07:38 AM
Dont think you will get away from the commercials on Sirius...I about pulled the friggin unit out and threw it out the window on a 9 hour drive in Mexico, the same commercials....:mad:
What channel were you listening to????? I have NEVER heard commercials on any station that wasn't Talk, all the music channels are 100% commercial free!! I listen every single day to it in my car and at work for 8+ hours straight a day and have never heard one single commercial on any of the stations i listen too, which are all the classic rock, alternative, faction, 60's vibrations.... etc.