PDA

View Full Version : Anyone running an Ilmor 550?

riverracerx
04-05-2007, 10:16 AM
Just curious. If so, what do you have it in and what are your speeds?
Why would you pick the 550 over the Merc 525? Anyone know the pricing on the Ilmor 550 vs. the Merc 525?
How about pricing on the 550 vs. the 625?
Again... just curious. :D

Concept1
04-05-2007, 10:18 AM
Talk to Wes at Trident, his demo Revolution has a 550 in it. Im doing an Ilmor in my new boat. Its also alot lighter then the Mercs.. From the pricing that ive seen they are even cheaper. Just my opinion..

Cole Trickle
04-05-2007, 10:33 AM
Just curious. If so, what do you have it in and what are your speeds?
Why would you pick the 550 over the Merc 525? Anyone know the pricing on the Ilmor 550 vs. the Merc 525?
How about pricing on the 550 vs. the 625?
Again... just curious. :D
Like mentioned Wes has the 550 coupled to a teague drive in the Revolution. Not sure of the price difference but I think he chose the 550 over the 625 as he didn't really want to have a 100+ mph deckboat.(Pretty sure concept is doing either the 625 or 710 in his new boat)
I believe the Merc 525 makes it's 525hp at the prop wher as the 550 viper makes it at the motor. (Merc makes more HP)
The Illmor is quite a bit lighter and I believe a similarly equiped boat will go a tad faster with the 550.
I want to say I heard the 625 was 12-15K more exspensive

Concept1
04-05-2007, 10:36 AM
Yep word travels fast. I am going to use the 710 in my new one. After all the stories about Ilmors customer service and quality I have full confidence in using them! Wes's boat does 93 with the 550 in it, i cant wait to see what the 710 does! :eek:

Cole Trickle
04-05-2007, 10:52 AM
Yep word travels fast. I am going to use the 710 in my new one. After all the stories about Ilmors customer service and quality I have full confidence in using them! Wes's boat does 93 with the 550 in it, i cant wait to see what the 710 does! :eek:
Congrats:D :D
710....yeah I am gonna guess 110-114 in a deck boat;):devil:
If you haven't seen it in person you will be impressed. I wasn't to hip on the jet version but I rode in the 550 powered boat a couple weeks back and the boat was rock solid!!
Rigging was rediculous and the stereo sounded pretty good...lol:D

Phat Matt
04-05-2007, 11:02 AM
So you already made a decision on what you are going to get?

Concept1
04-05-2007, 11:03 AM
If you haven't seen it in person you will be impressed. I wasn't to hip on the jet version but I rode in the 550 powered boat a couple weeks back and the boat was rock solid!!
Yea Ill tell you i was back and fourth all week about a Big Cat like a DCB or a Spectre but after everything is said and done I LOVE the Trident, I want to do business with Wes and im going to get over 100mph and still have a party boat. Cant ask more then that really, well I can ask for someone to buy my boat now! :D

Concept1
04-05-2007, 11:05 AM
So you already made a decision on what you are going to get?
Hey Matt I did, im doing the Trident. It was a hard choise but i just didnt see spending 300K on a new boat yet. IM gonna let me business build up a little more, get at least a couple seasons under my belt, learn how to drive better then step it up big when I know I can afford it.

RiverDave
When did you go for a run in the I/O Trident?
RD

Phat Matt
Yea Ill tell you i was back and fourth all week about a Big Cat like a DCB or a Spectre but after everything is said and done I LOVE the Trident, I want to do business with Wes and im going to get over 100mph and still have a party boat. Cant ask more then that really, well I can ask for someone to buy my boat now! :D
I guess you just answered my question. That boat will haul the mail with the 710. :)

Phat Matt
04-05-2007, 11:06 AM
Hey Matt I did, im doing the Trident. It was a hard choise but i just didnt see spending 300K on a new boat yet. IM gonna let me business build up a little more, get at least a couple seasons under my belt, learn how to drive better then step it up big when I know I can afford it.
Cool.
Smart thinking.

Concept1
04-05-2007, 11:06 AM
He took me for a ride last weekend at Pleasant. It was a total thrill...And I love all the room in it, makes you feel like you are in a small apartment that does almost 100mph...

shippingguy
04-05-2007, 11:08 AM
I am just curious. Not knocking your decision because really it is not my place or business, but you already have a really good looking deckboat and it sounds like you are buying another one (deckboat) of similar size. To me it seems like you wnat the speed #'s and carry people. So why not just put the money into a repower on your current boat? The NEXT with the Teague 800 performed very well and put up a nice #. Again, not knocking your decision or Trident just kind of confused.

Concept1
04-05-2007, 11:08 AM
Cool.
Smart thinking.
I think so, Im still a big fan of your boat though, that grabbed my attention first and foremast after I bought mine...After my boat sells im sure ill be looking at other stuff all the time too.

Cole Trickle
04-05-2007, 11:12 AM
When did you go for a run in the I/O Trident?
RD
St. Pattys weekend on Havasu. Short ride and we were running at night so I don't think we wen't over 70 mph but the boat didn't have a single rattle or vibration.:)

Concept1
04-05-2007, 11:17 AM
I am just curious. Not knocking your decision because really it is not my place or business, but you already have a really good looking deckboat and it sounds like you are buying another one (deckboat) of similar size. To me it seems like you wnat the speed #'s and carry people. So why not just put the money into a repower on your current boat? The NEXT with the Teague 800 performed very well and put up a nice #. Again, not knocking your decision or Trident just kind of confused.
Not a problem at all man, as people have read my posts from the start im very impulsive. I jumped into mine with both feet and didnt shop at all and didnt know what all was out there. I am happy with my boat, but as you caid just not the speed. Ive been looking into motors and drives for a month and its going to cost around 45K to get it done. Then ill be into my boat for 175K or more. I decided to stay in the deckboat market after long days and nights thinking about what i really want it for. To be honest I almost bought a 32 spectre because I thought I wanted the whole shock factor, but its not worth it when I really do want a party boat for now as I learn more and more about boating and safety.
Believe me this has been a tough process so far, non stop racking my brain about what to do. The truth is im getting an amazing deal for the Trident with the motor I want, Wes has been an awesome salesperson to me and i just thing its better to get an all new one and sell mine while its still pretty much brand new.

GETSOME
04-05-2007, 11:18 AM
St. Pattys weekend on Havasu. Short ride and we were running at night so I don't think we wen't over 70 mph but the boat didn't have a single rattle or vibration.:)
No one was dancing on the trident and turned off the stereo this time???:confused: :confused:
Trident in your future?

shippingguy
04-05-2007, 11:24 AM
Not a problem at all man, as people have read my posts from the start im very impulsive. I jumped into mine with both feet and didnt shop at all and didnt know what all was out there. I am happy with my boat, but as you caid just not the speed. Ive been looking into motors and drives for a month and its going to cost around 45K to get it done. Then ill be into my boat for 175K or more. I decided to stay in the deckboat market after long days and nights thinking about what i really want it for. To be honest I almost bought a 32 spectre because I thought I wanted the whole shock factor, but its not worth it when I really do want a party boat for now as I learn more and more about boating and safety.
Believe me this has been a tough process so far, non stop racking my brain about what to do. The truth is im getting an amazing deal for the Trident with the motor I want, Wes has been an awesome salesperson to me and i just thing its better to get an all new one and sell mine while its still pretty much brand new.
Sounds good. Keep us posted on the the build with some pics on here. If you are ever in Havasu and see my boat stop by and say hello.
Mike

Cole Trickle
04-05-2007, 11:26 AM
No one was dancing on the trident and turned off the stereo this time???:confused: :confused:
Trident in your future?
That was classic party stopage;):D
Current pricing for the Trident is well out of my budget. We are gonna keep the sled for a couple more years and be happy with what we have.;) :)

GETSOME
04-05-2007, 11:32 AM
That was classic party stopage;):D
Current pricing for the Trident is well out of my budget. We are gonna keep the sled for a couple more years and be happy with what we have.;) :)
Ya i would be more then happy with what you have... But i know you.. You sell things you own more then you change your underware.. I just cant keep up with you guys anymore

Cole Trickle
04-05-2007, 11:40 AM
Ya i would be more then happy with what you have... But i know you.. You sell things you own more then you change your underware.. I just cant keep up with you guys anymore
With the way the use boat market is right now not to mention the rate that I am locked in on it would make no sence to build a new boat. I do think that a deck would be more condusive to the boating that we do but there is no way you can beat the party barge on bang for the buck.
I am pretty much done for a while purchase wise. You know how I am with good deals so I wouldn't bet my life on it.
What you got shaking for this weekend we are bbqing in the back yard while working around teh house.

GETSOME
04-05-2007, 12:41 PM
With the way the use boat market is right now not to mention the rate that I am locked in on it would make no sence to build a new boat. I do think that a deck would be more condusive to the boating that we do but there is no way you can beat the party barge on bang for the buck.
I am pretty much done for a while purchase wise. You know how I am with good deals so I wouldn't bet my life on it.
What you got shaking for this weekend we are bbqing in the back yard while working around teh house.
UFC @ my house... Probably hitting up down town or bowling. not sure yet. lemme know if you need help with the back yard.

Cole Trickle
04-05-2007, 12:42 PM
UFC @ my house... Probably hitting up down town or bowling. not sure yet. lemme know if you need help with the back yard.
Shoot...the backyard always needs help. I have two laborers coming to help on sat.

riverracerx
04-05-2007, 01:04 PM
You guys are jacking my thread ! :mad: :D
Anyone else have #'s on the Viper? I like the way they sound.
I ran in Blown Dough's DCB at about 114 on Havasu and it was the best ride I have had. Like riding in a jet airplane! Love the sound of the V10.

Concept1
04-05-2007, 01:07 PM
Sorry, It just kinda happened. LOL

Cole Trickle
04-05-2007, 01:11 PM
You guys are jacking my thread ! :mad: :D
Anyone else have #'s on the Viper? I like the way they sound.
I ran in Blown Dough's DCB at about 114 on Havasu and it was the best ride I have had. Like riding in a jet airplane! Love the sound of the V10.
So your trading your pool in on a F32 with Illmors or you just like the neat sound?;):idea: :D

riverbound
04-05-2007, 01:42 PM
70 MPH at night???

Jyruiz
04-05-2007, 02:10 PM
70 MPH at night???
Maybe there was a full moon out.:)

GETSOME
04-05-2007, 02:13 PM
70 MPH at night???
Probably had a couple beers on board so it felt that fast....:D :D

Cole Trickle
04-05-2007, 02:26 PM
70 MPH at night???
Could have been a quick 10 second spurt to 50;)
Full moon and we made a quick run around the island. I also think Wes was wearing his top secret Seal night vision goggles.:D :devil:
Also wes was not drinking:)

Cole Trickle
04-05-2007, 02:27 PM
Probably had a couple beers on board so it felt that fast....:D :D
I know after a couple of beers it felt safe;):D

riverracerx
04-05-2007, 02:48 PM
So your trading your pool in on a F32 with Illmors or you just like the neat sound?
I would do that deal. I will give someone keys to my backyard if they give me keys to their boat! That works for me.

riverracerx
04-05-2007, 05:02 PM
Any other 550's out there?

steet
04-11-2007, 05:32 PM
I had the 550's and went to the 625's. You are saving several hundred pounds of weight per motor not to mention the 30% to 40% fuel savings. The 550's are extremely fuel efficient when compared to the 525's. I would say they are very similiar to the 496's in fuel consumption

riverracerx
04-11-2007, 08:23 PM
Thanks!
Anyone have the approx + $$ to go from the 496HO to the following:
Merc525
Ilmor 550
Ilmor 625
(i.e: 496HO + 15k= Merc 525?)

OutCole'd
04-11-2007, 08:27 PM
Thanks!
Anyone have the approx + $$ to go from the 496HO to the following:
Merc525
Ilmor 550
Ilmor 625
(i.e: 496HO + 15k= Merc 525?)
I've heard the dealers cost is around a 13k bump, and they usually mark it to 15-18k for this. Not sure on the Mopars though.