PDA

View Full Version : Cox Cable v. Dish Network/satellite...

Jordy
04-05-2007, 02:31 PM
OK, so my HD Cox Cable box went out on Tuesday evening. Call them first thing on Wednesday to see about swapping it out or getting a tech out to look at it (aka swapping it out). Am told that they can send a tech out and I can't just take the box down and exchange it as they don't allow that anymore. This is on Wednesday morning, remember. So she then tells me that the first tech that is available will be mid-morning on Friday and will that work for me???
The more I think about this, the more it kind of pisses me off. I have my cable and internet with them and have since I've been in this house, which is going on 7 years and this kind of service is unacceptable, especially at the $150 a month I spend with them between cable and internet. They're hard to beat for internet out here, but I'm wondering what the Dish deal is like these days???
Anyone???

djunkie
04-05-2007, 02:32 PM
If your talking about the interent through the satelite deal it sucks. My friend has it and hates it.

Jordy
04-05-2007, 02:36 PM
If your talking about the interent through the satelite deal it sucks. My friend has it and hates it.
Nah, I'd have to keep cable for that. I'm talking Dish Network/Direct TV kind of satellite. ;)

Jyruiz
04-05-2007, 02:37 PM
I have gone thru this same problem with DirecTV, my HD box was not working correctly, I called them and they overnight another one to me. I did have there service contract though. I use to have cable and found there CS lacking compared to DirecTV, this is just my experience though.

JENKDICK
04-05-2007, 02:37 PM
Jordy I Have Had Directv For 5 Years And Have Had Nothing But Good Luck With Them. There Hd Service Is Awesome. I Bought A 1080p 56" Tv 8 Months Ago And It Is The Best High Def I Have Seen. Plus They Have Nfl Sunday Ticket. They Will Have More About 50-100 More Hd Channels In The 3rd Or 4th Quarter Of This Year As They Are Launching 2 New Sattelites. I Wouldnt Use Them For Internet Though Really Expensive. Try Embarq For Internet I Think It Is $50 For 5 Meg. Just My .02

djunkie
04-05-2007, 02:38 PM
Nah, I'd have to keep cable for that. I'm talking Dish Network/Direct TV kind of satellite. ;)
Can't help you there. I had Direct tv about 6 years ago and hated it. The quality was good (well except if it was raining real hard then it would phuck up) but I just couldn't stand how most of the cable channels were on east coast time. Not sure if its still the same.

acatitude
04-05-2007, 02:40 PM
not sure about az, but I had all the stuff thru cable for tv internet and it was about 150 a month. seems to go up every couple months, so i got dish all the movie channels( which suck cuzz its the same shit over and over) 66 a month, and att has here for 55 a month 24/7 flat rate calling anywheres in US and dsl for internet. no increase for at least a year. saved a few bucks over cable and seems worth it so far.
I think its like shopping car insurance, you always get a deal the first year then they hit ya on the second, so I seem to be changing my car insurance every year, fock em, I just play the game.
oh this is probably worthless info, just noticed the HD, I dont have all that bling shiat, basic tv works for my old eyes..and I have a boat, I can't afford any other extras:)

Caljamr
04-05-2007, 02:43 PM
Exactly. Nothing beats cox cable is what i've found. It's the best of the worst if you know what i mean.

Hustler
04-05-2007, 02:45 PM
we have had DTV for about 10 years and have always had great customer service with them. Our local cable provider pissed me off 10 years ago and I have never looked back. The best part is be able to take with us in the trailer.

squirt'nmyload
04-05-2007, 02:46 PM
have directv and use cox for internet......no problems with directv...love it :)

Jyruiz
04-05-2007, 02:47 PM
If you do any HD, stick with cable or maybe even go Dish. DirecTVs HD is so overly compressed, that it is barely HD, it is refered to as HD lite.

djunkie
04-05-2007, 02:48 PM
For you people with satellite, are some of the channels still on east coast time? I hated that. When I first swtiched to Satelite I had shows I liked to watch at 8pm. With the satelite they were coming on 3 hours earlier.

Hustler
04-05-2007, 02:51 PM
For you people with satellite, are some of the channels still on east coast time? I hated that. When I first swtiched to Satelite I had shows I liked to watch at 8pm. With the satelite they were coming on 3 hours earlier.
Depends on the channel. All the local networks are normal time here but channels like FX and the likewill have a show on at east coast time and then again for west coast. I just dvr what ever I like and dont worry about it.

squirt'nmyload
yes...the non local channels

Jordy
If you do any HD, stick with cable or maybe even go Dish. DirecTVs HD is so overly compressed, that it is barely HD, it is refered to as HD lite.
Nothing like being stuck with a lack of options... checked with Direct TV and to pretty much duplicate what I've got as far as channel lineup, I'd be at $65.99 *for the first 3 months and then it's back to $89.99 which isn't much cheaper than my cable portion of my bill now... :(

Chico&Zeus
04-05-2007, 02:52 PM
Just take the box down to one of their stores and try to exchange it, if they won't let you, give it to them with the ol' Discount Tire Return through the pate glass window.......Thank You (http://www.discounttire.com/compMediaPressGuinness1.html)

Jordy
04-05-2007, 02:54 PM
Just take the box down to one of their stores and try to exchange it, if they won't let you, give it to them with the ol' Discount Tire Return through the pate glass window.......Thank You (http://www.discounttire.com/compMediaPressGuinness1.html)
The more I think about it, that's what I'm going to do... :devil:

djunkie
04-05-2007, 02:55 PM
The more I think about it, that's what I'm going to do... :devil:
There you go. Just pretend your still on the internet and use your tough guys skills. Unfotunately your a little guy so it may not work so well in real life. :devil: :devil:

79centurion
04-05-2007, 02:55 PM
Shows are on earlier, but thats why they have DVR:D
Dan

djunkie
04-05-2007, 02:56 PM
Shows are on earlier, but thats why they have DVR:D
Dan
Ya I forgot about the DVR. Back when I had sat. DVR wasn't even thought of.

79centurion
04-05-2007, 02:58 PM
Oh yea, I have had directv for 3 years now, and no complaints

AZKC
04-05-2007, 03:00 PM
Stay with cable JP, I've heard our monsoons don't play well with Dishes.
You only have one boxhttp://***boat.com/ubb/graemlins/jawdrop.gif
How the hell do you watch TV out in the Bubble Machine:confused:

Jordy
04-05-2007, 03:00 PM
your a little guy so it may not work so well in real life. :devil: :devil:
I'll wear my drywall stilts under my jeans so I can at least see over the counter. :D :D :D

Jordy
04-05-2007, 03:01 PM
Stay with cable JP, I've heard our monsoons don't play well with Dishes.
You only have one boxhttp://***boat.com/ubb/graemlins/jawdrop.gif
How the hell do you watch TV out in the Bubble Machine:confused:
I've got an HD box and a regular digital box. The power was out the other night and everything came back up except the HD box.

Xlration Marine
04-05-2007, 03:02 PM
More stuff that I know about. Cox is better. I had the dish and yes they go out in a storm, but no big deal. The big is is the down loading of info for the next day, that sucks. If you get up in the night while this crap is going on and want to watch some TV, you can't. It would last about 45 minutes. Even worse id you interupt it, then you get about 5 chanels until the next down load. And when you want to change programing, BEND OVER!!!! They charge you up the Ying Yang. Another issue I had was the unit is a computer, no big deal. Well like a computer the crap burns out after time. The unit I had was loosing it's memory, which makes programing even harder, or impossible. Then you need to buy a new unit. The more you have the more you have to fix. My unit lasted about a year and a half. Good by to them.

Hustler
04-05-2007, 03:04 PM
More stuff that I know about. Cox is better. I had the dish and yes they go out in a storm, but no big deal. The big is is the down loading of info for the next day, that sucks. If you get up in the night while this crap is going on and want to watch some TV, you can't. It would last about 45 minutes. Even worse id you interupt it, then you get about 5 chanels until the next down load. And when you want to change programing, BEND OVER!!!! They charge you up the Ying Yang. Another issue I had was the unit is a computer, no big deal. Well like a computer the crap burns out after time. The unit I had was loosing it's memory, which makes programing even harder, or impossible. Then you need to buy a new unit. The more you have the more you have to fix. My unit lasted about a year and a half. Good by to them.
Is this Dish Network? I have never had any of those problems with Direct.

squirt'nmyload
04-05-2007, 03:09 PM
Is this Dish Network? I have never had any of those problems with Direct.
yeah...me neither...i've been up all night sick the last couple days watching tv and never had any problems :(

Magic34
04-05-2007, 03:09 PM
Jordy,
Get the satellite set up. I need someone that has it so I can piggyback off of your plan so I can run it in the new boat. :D :D

Donttreadonme
04-05-2007, 03:26 PM
Jordy,
I have an idea, drive your truck over to Cox, park it on the boulevard in the grass, get out and walk in to the office ask who's in charge, and then tell everyone you are going to kick the bosses' ass, when the boss comes out and he's about a foot taller than you turn around and leave....Ya, that will scare them...

Caribbean Jet
04-05-2007, 03:29 PM
we have had DTV for about 10 years and have always had great customer service with them. Our local cable provider pissed me off 10 years ago and I have never looked back. The best part is be able to take with us in the trailer.
We've had DTV for 5 years and have had great customer service and quality TV, and like Hust;er said we take it to the desert and river too.

Jordy
04-05-2007, 03:44 PM
Jordy,
I have an idea, drive your truck over to Cox, park it on the boulevard in the grass, get out and walk in to the office ask who's in charge, and then tell everyone you are going to kick the bosses' ass, when the boss comes out and he's about a foot taller than you turn around and leave....Ya, that will scare them...
Should I drive the white lifted one, or just the regular truck??? Is that you Lake Ape??? :notam:
Got it handled and am back in business. The guy at the counter said anytime there is a problem with a box to just bring it in. ;)

WHOCASZ
04-05-2007, 03:47 PM
Hey Jordy, This Is Mike Jones....stop Being A Wooosy. Just Go P/u A New Box. Whoever Told You Not To Is A Wrong..

Jordy
04-05-2007, 03:49 PM
Hey Jordy, This Is Mike Jones....stop Being A Wooosy. Just Go P/u A New Box. Whoever Told You Not To Is A Wrong..
Who??? :D :D :D
Thought about calling you as a last resort. Got it handled. Yeah, the guy at the counter said the girl I talked to was full of shit. Guess I'll keep making my monthly Cox contribution. :D :D :D

Xlration Marine
04-05-2007, 04:05 PM
Dish, Direct same company. Hell the were even sued in a class action. I could have sent my junk back, but sold it to someone that sells the stuff in Canada.

Beer-30
04-05-2007, 04:10 PM
If you want a better quality picture, go to either dish. I went from Cox cable to DishNetwork and saw an immediate difference. The picture quality is much better, as it is 100% digital. Cable (even digital cable) is 50% analog, 50% digital. Even with digital cable, I had grainy pictures on some channels. Now, there is no grain and I haven't even gone HD, yet.
With the movie channels I had before (HBO/TMC/MAX/ENC), I am almost $20 cheaper a month, and have DVR in living room and bedroom. I only had DVR in living room with cable. I had the installer pull new cable to parallel the old cable. This way, I can switch back and forth - or - have both. So now there are two cable outlets at each TV. One is cable, one is dish. I figured, hey, the dish comes with free installation. If you didn't have any cable in the house before, they would run it, right? I took advantage of it. No telling what the future will bring. I might as well have the option.
Also, I switched from cable internet to SBC DSL hi-speed. $19 a month instead of $50, and I can't tell the difference in speed. Plus, since SBC (AT&T) owns Cingular and DishNetwork, I now have all the bills bundled.
So, I now write one check a month, $276 for:
2-cell phones
2-house lines
DishNetwork with DVR in two rooms, and prev mentioned movie channels.
High speed internet.
AND, I have a better picture!

blown65
04-05-2007, 04:16 PM
Make sure your installation is in an RV with DTV. (you can then get distant network channels, both east and west coast.)
We have had DTV for a long time and I'm totally happy with it. Hate thier customer service, but I've rarely had to use it. DishNetwork I had for a short time, decided to go back to DTV, just dont like thier system as much.
DTV internet sux, unless its the only thing you can get. My parents have it and personally I'd rather have dialup for the $$ that crap cost.

AZJD
04-05-2007, 04:18 PM
What up pimp? Look at you all signed up and shit! Guess you figured since I was exploiting your wife on Hot Boat you should join!:D

AZJD
04-05-2007, 04:19 PM
Jordy,
You just don't quit do you!

vegasriverjunkie
04-05-2007, 04:25 PM
I have cox out here in Vegas and get all the channels and have the cable modem as well. It only cost me 25 bucks!!!!:jawdrop: :jawdrop: :jawdrop: :idea: I guess it helps my brother works for them also. So when I have a problem, I always tell him I'm calling the cable company which I'm dialing his cell number. :D

Jordy
04-05-2007, 04:34 PM
It only cost me 25 bucks!!!!:jawdrop: :jawdrop: :jawdrop: :idea: I guess it helps my brother works for them also. :D
My brother needs a new job apparently!!! :D :D :D

yamamoto
04-05-2007, 04:46 PM
keep cox and get tivo series 3 from costco.com
You will no longer need a cable box, the cable company will install 2 cable cards right in the tivo. Works great

Windy
04-05-2007, 04:59 PM
Dish Network sux! :mad:

KineticoH20
04-05-2007, 05:02 PM
Dish netork sux big time, terrible customer service ( wait terrible would be a compliment) quality is horrible. I am staying with Time warner ( lesser of 3 evils) HD looks much better with cable.

acatitude
04-05-2007, 05:08 PM
this is kinda like a ford vs. chevy thread:D

JetBoatRich
04-05-2007, 07:38 PM
Direct is the way to go:rolleyes:
you need the number:D