PDA

View Full Version : Nicson Neovane

FlatRat
04-30-2003, 05:49 AM
Will a neovane pump cavitate if I run a thermostat with no bypass?

fastvdriver
04-30-2003, 06:06 AM
If i understand you right you are just going to run the water from the pump to the block and out the t-stat housing? if that is what you are going to do you will build alot of water pressure in the block which is not good. the bypass is to take care of the extra water pressure.

fastvdriver
04-30-2003, 06:07 AM
If i understand you right you are just going to run the water from the pump to the block and out the t-stat housing? if that is what you are going to do you will build alot of water pressure in the block which is not good. the bypass is to take care of the extra water pressure.

04-30-2003, 08:37 AM
Not only will it cavitate the engine will overheat. You need to drill a small 'weep' hole in the thermostat to promote water flow across the t-stat sensor bulb. Otherwise the water has no where to go and will not circulate thru the engine. Run the bypass to the inlet side of the pump and a drilled t-stat.

DUCKY
04-30-2003, 06:32 PM
058:
Not only will it cavitate the engine will overheat. You need to drill a small 'weep' hole in the thermostat to promote water flow across the t-stat sensor bulb. Otherwise the water has no where to go and will not circulate thru the engine. Run the bypass to the inlet side of the pump and a drilled t-stat. I have tried this, and the motor will still overheat. The water will take the path of least resistance, which will be right out the bypass, whether the t-stat is open, or not. I have to admit, I never did try sizing down the bypass hose, though. Maybe a 1/4" or 5/16 hose would keep the pressure down, and still keep the water flowing through the block.

FlatRat
04-30-2003, 06:36 PM
Here's the deal,
I ran a 180* t-stat with three 1/4" holes last season.Someone told me that I didn't any ho's at all.I had trouble with too much water to my tee valve/pipes.So what I need is maybe one, say 1/8" or so just to get water to the sensing bulb
Thanks,F.R.

04-30-2003, 07:19 PM
I run a 160F thermostat in my Howard with a #8 hose for the bypass. It runs from the outlet in the manifold below the thermostat to the T fitting before the water pump inlet. I drilled a 1/16" hole in the flange of the t-stat for a weep hole, this hole will allow about a "pencil size" stream while the t-stat is closed which was enough to promote enough flow to activate the t-stat. The engine runs 160-170F at all times, from idle to WOT.

fastvdriver
04-30-2003, 08:34 PM
flat rat, I have ran flats for the past 9 years and set up alot of water systems.I'm a marine service manager out here in Oregon.If you take the the water out of the water pump and plumb it to the front of the motor with the bypass hoses going up to the t-stat housing with the out going lines from the t-stat (1) overboard (2)go through a on/off ball valve then go to your basset T valve with a new uncut spring you will be able to tune the water in at 2000 RPMS and that is were it will stay

FlatRat
05-01-2003, 02:25 AM
Thanks for the responses,everyone.These forums are a great source of information.V-Drive people kick ass.
F.R.

voodooCanoe
05-01-2003, 03:42 PM
Fastvdriver - don't you have some work to do? Caught ya playin' around. Come over and help me
pull the boat off tonight! 7:30. Later

396_Z
05-01-2003, 04:23 PM
Who'd want to go to crack-o-myass oregon? It's not like I got there a few times a year or anything.